Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Kingdom for a Horse - A War of the Roses RPG

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: My Kingdom for a Horse - A War of the Roses RPG

I was thinking about the Earldom of Warwick for myself if possible.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

You'd best get in line; I am looking at Richard Neville myself and it seems Lord William also wants to be a Neville as well. Plenty of them mind you.

There is for the Yorkists:
    - Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Salisbury.
    - William Neville, Earl of Kent
    - John Neville, Marquis of Montagu (Lord Montagu)
    - George Neville, Bishop of Exeter (future Archbishop of York)

For the Lancastrians:
    - Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland
    - John Neville, Baron Neville

There was also a George Neville, 1st Baron Latimer, but he was considered incapable to rule due to dementia at this time. Warwick ruled his lands when he became unable to administrate them.

========================

Also speaking of significant characters, I will need a list of people interested and/or desiring to claim those I listed in the OP. These 8 chars are very vital (especially Edward IV, Warwick, Somerset, Henry VI and Margaret).

Please state if you are interested in claiming any of the following characters.

Lancastrians
    Henry VI, King of England (39)
    Margaret of Anjou, Queen of England (30)
    Edward of Westminister (7)
    Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset (24)

Yorkists
    Edward of March (Edward IV) (18)
    George of York (11)
    Richard of York (Richard III) (8)
    Richard Neville, the Kingmaker, Earl of Warwick (32)

I shall put myself down for Richard Neville and/or Henry Beaufort.

Lancastrians
    Henry VI (39) -
    Margaret of Anjou (30) -
    Edward of Westminister (7) -
    Henry Beaufort (24) - Lucius Malfoy

Yorkists
    Edward of March (Edward IV) (18) -
    George of York (11) -
    Richard of York (Richard III) (8) -
    Richard Neville (32) - Lucius Malfoy
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; September 05, 2016 at 09:45 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Indefinitely Banned

You know what, what about Edward of March (Edward IV) for me? I can try my hand at a big shot. English history is more of my thing.
    Last edited by Blastoise Groudon; September 05, 2016 at 10:47 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Isn't there also Thomas Fauconberg, son William Neville? He was instrumental in a battle or two

Indefinitely Banned

Also, If me taking Edward isn't good for you guys, just give me a minor part; I'm down for anything. I don't want to take away any big characters from you guys unless you guys don't mind.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Vilgefortz of Roggeveen View Post
    Isn't there also Thomas Fauconberg, son William Neville? He was instrumental in a battle or two
    Yeah, I just went for the Nevilles with titles, but I am gonna add him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoise Groudon View Post
    You know what, what about Edward of March (Edward IV) for me? I can try my hand at a big shot. English history is more of my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastoise Groudon View Post
    Also, If me taking Edward isn't good for you guys, just give me a minor part; I'm down for anything. I don't want to take away any big characters from you guys unless you guys don't mind.
    Hey if you wanna go for the biggest role of the Yorkist side, I am not gonna stop you. Just be aware its a big role! Don't expect it to be easy

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Yeah, I just went for the Nevilles with titles, but I am gonna add him in.

Hey if you wanna go for the biggest role of the Yorkist side, I am not gonna stop you. Just be aware its a big role! Don't expect it to be easy

I'll see what I can do.

Anyone got dibs on Ulster by any chance?

Citizen

Ulster is controlled by Edward IV, so no one can claim that title unless they are Edward IV.

Citizen

So a rule for Barons:
    Barons are granted an income of 10,000 Crowns a year. Along with this, they are also granted a set retinue of 500 men (50 Men-at-Arms, 50 Yeomen Longbows, 100 Heavy Footmen, 150 Militia Footmen and 150 Militia Longbows), with an upkeep of 1,000 Crowns, which will serve as both their bodyguard and army when he marches to battle. The stipend of 10,000 Crowns is lost when a Baron is elevated to Earldom, but they may keep the title to be granted to a son or relative.
    Yay or nay?

Should the retinue be free of upkeep or not though? I have it set at 1,000 Crowns.

Ok, so the actual battle system is mostly finished. Or, the first draft is anyway. Just need some ideas on how cannon might work in a battle (and in a siege, for that matter). If anyone's got any ideas, take a look at my archery and gunpowder rules to get the idea for the kind of scale we're going for.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

And of course, any input is greatly appreciated. Ignore the victory conditions section (the last section) for now; will need to figure that out during testing. We will be doing tests of the system rather soon, though it is now a week so it could be next weekend depending on when my guinea pigs have time.

I think tomorrow I will start applying stats to our unit list, including movement range, armor rating (so far just affects ranged attacks against you), and mainly a quality scale that measures how units weigh against each other in combat; if one unit is 2 levels above another unit in combat, then the higher level unit gets a +2 against that weaker unit. This would play into heavily armored knights carving their way through some militia billmen, for example.

I think we might also implement an experience system for professional and retainer units, but not sure how much that might offset the d10 scale as of yet.

EDIT: OH! Before all of that, I need to add on a section after the combat rules about shattering and routing units and morale and such. Very important. Don't let me forget that part.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; September 06, 2016 at 12:28 AM.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I would be up for playing Henry VI for the Lancastrians, if that's ok for everyone.

Henry VI (and any future characters that players wish to truly be subject to mental illness or similarly debilitating sickness) will be subject to an as-of-yet-unmade rolling system that determines randomly when his player gets to roleplay him as lucid and when he is, on the obverse, essentially in a coma or anywhere in between.

If you're fine with his illness being inconvenient, then by all means..

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I'm counting on it being inconvenient, that's why I want to play as him.

Thomas Fauconberg held the title Lord Fauconberg, and was one of the Kingmaker's trusted commanders. So you can add him to the baron's list.

I'd like to claim either the Beauforts or the Holland family for the House of Lancaster.
    Could also claim one of the York brothers, if they need to be filled for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Since we are making claims here i will take Marguerite d'Anjou. Also i read that her son was rumored not be a child of Henry because people though of him to be too insane to have a child.

Yeah but Henry himself fully acknowledged the child as his own when was lucid later so I don't think too much credit was given to the rumor. That's like the medieval equivalent of a tabloid creating drama between celebs where there is none. It certainly could be attributed to the Yorkist sentiments: Henry VI was the kind of king who relied on favorites, and that irritated his nobles and other relatives to no end. Those favorites happened to be the Beauforts, which also happen to be part of that rumor about Margaret and her son Edward. You can see similar rumors with earlier monarchs, such as Edward II with his favorite Piers Gaveston.

It's not been posted or mentioned yet for some reason but I've been planning on playing Edward of Westminster (that son mentioned above)
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; September 06, 2016 at 04:21 AM.

Similar rumours went around about Edward of March as well that were probably just as unfounded. It was a common way to discredit political rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vilgefortz of Roggeveen View Post
    Yeah but Henry himself fully acknowledged the child as his own when was lucid later so I don't think too much credit was given to the rumor. That's like the medieval equivalent of a tabloid creating drama between celebs where there is none. It certainly could be attributed to the Yorkist sentiments: Henry VI was the kind of king who relied on favorites, and that irritated his nobles and other relatives to no end. Those favorites happened to be the Beauforts, which also happen to be part of that rumor about Margaret and her son Edward. You can see similar rumors with earlier monarchs, such as Edward II with his favorite Piers Gaveston.

It's not been posted or mentioned yet for some reason but I've been planning on playing Edward of Westminster (that son mentioned above)
    That might be all true and well but i'm pretty sure those Yorkists will use any opportunity to slander their opponents, even when it are just lies.

Honestly most of that kind of stuff was probably just ladies in waiting and peasants gossiping. If I was a Yorkist, I wouldn't waste my time with that kind of stuff, it doesn't actually improve one's position anyway as the only people who'd believe it are already on your side. There isn't some D&D Charisma Test where if you cross a d20 threshold suddenly someone just changes their mind.

I'm telling ya, medieval tabloids

^_^

Makes sense indeed. There's more important stuff to focus on. Also who controlled Calais in this war?