Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Discussion is fine, I made it clear that I don't know what these characters looked like so any influence is welcomed. I have no problem with a bearded or beardless Cirdan. Discussing it is a little pointless though, if you don't like the image find another and post it here to be considered. Or just change it to your personal preference in the mod. Personally I prefer discussions about gameplay so I don't really have anything to add.

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion ~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

I even saw a mod having an image of Brad Pitt for some random trait.. So, I don`t see the reason for this "has/doesn`t have a beard" discussion.

@MageNuada, if you had met Cirdan during your lifetime ( ), thus know for a fact he`s beardless, then we`ll take your word for it.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Haha, apologies AD, I didn't mean to start a Tolkien geek-out battle here on your board. I feel like I'm watching Big Bang Theory! Anyhow, here's something that should help move on from the Cirdan/beard discussion:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sauron.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	344377 Sauron First Age - dark sorcerer form

No apologies, I learned about that life cycle stuff which I had never read before so it was worth reading for me. I merely meant that people should provide images of what he should look like if they want anything to come of it. I did enjoy reading it I just don't have anything to add. I always assumed (and still do) that Cirdan had a beard just to set him apart. I am guessing the life cycle stuff was an afterthought that tried to explain why.

I certainly do not want to discourage creativity in this thread (or moderators doing it), especially since this mod is still in the brainstorming phase, so feel free to post anything you like that is on topic and not against to TOS and I will kindly ask the mods to leave this thread alone otherwise.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 02, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

~~~~~~~ New Starting Buildings ~~~~~~~~~~

Large/Huge City Level;

building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    building
    {
    type city_hall mayors_palace
    }
    building
    {
    type pick picka
    }
    building
    {
    type store storea
    }
    building
    {
    type park parka
    }
    building
    {
    type market great_market
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms farms+2
    }
    building
    {
    type orch orchb
    }
    building
    {
    type quar quarb
    }

City Level;

building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    building
    {
    type city_hall city_hall
    }
    building
    {
    type store storea
    }
    building
    {
    type market fairground
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms grazeb
    }
    building
    {
    type orch orchb
    }
    building
    {
    type quar quara
    }

Large Town Level;

building
    {
    type city_hall council_chambers
    }
    building
    {
    type market market
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms farms+1
    }
    building
    {
    type orch orcha
    }
    building
    {
    type quar quard
    }

Town Level;

building
    {
    type city_hall town_hall
    }
    building
    {
    type market corn_exchange
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms grazea
    }
    building
    {
    type orch orcha
    }
    building
    {
    type quar quard
    }

If you think any other buildings should be added from the start to settlement levels, or to certain settlements, now is the time to say so.

Edit;

As for the bearded Elves discussion, I was just wondering why more Elves don't have beards and why Cirdan does... Quite a few Elves were just as old or near as old as Cirdan so far as I know, and most of those probably endured or at least witnessed worse things than Cirdan did since he was hanging out at the beach literally the entire time. The life cycle thing doesn't fit so well in my opinion unless Tolkien just never mentioned more Elves having beards (would make Cirdan less special, which was the whole point I think), OR life at the beach is super stressful. Also that one guy in Valinor had a beard too someone said... why? I guess life in Valinor and on the beach of Middle-earth is more stressful than crossing the Helcaraxe and everything else Fingolfin's people endured through the Ages. Some at least survived to the Third Age. Glorfindel should have a beard right? Maybe some of them just shave? Or am I missing something here?
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 12, 2017 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    As for the bearded Elves discussion, I was just wondering why more Elves don't have beards and why Cirdan does... Quite a few Elves were just as old or near as old as Cirdan so far as I know, and most of those probably endured or at least witnessed worse things than Cirdan did since he was hanging out at the beach literally the entire time. The life cycle thing doesn't fit so well in my opinion unless Tolkien just never mentioned more Elves having beards (would make Cirdan less special, which was the whole point I think), OR life at the beach is super stressful. Also that one guy in Valinor had a beard too someone said... why? I guess life in Valinor and on the beach of Middle-earth is more stressful than crossing the Helcaraxe and everything else Fingolfin's people endured through the Ages. Some at least survived to the Third Age. Glorfindel should have a beard right? Maybe some of them just shave? Or am I missing something here?
    I think the focus on beard = age is the problem here. As I mentioned before, I see Cirdan's beard as more denoting his gifts of extreme wisdom and foresight, stated to be beyond that of most (or all) other elves. Much as the Istari (wizards) are bearded and have those same abilities. The Valar clearly favor him, maybe it's a physical manifestation of this. Or maybe he even has some Maiar blood - we know nothing about his parentage. Point is, he's a highly unique character so applying the standards of other elves is sort of pointless.

Well unless someone can counter some of these all too obvious issues we shall just go with a bearded Cirdan. The Silmarillion doesn't say anything about it that I know of and that is the book this mod is based off of. Any lore published afterwards will be considered but a lot of that stuff contradicts itself much like the beard issue above.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 13, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

I am adding in traits and ancillaries, if you think any characters should have certain ones post them.

New traits and ancillaries may be posted as well but they probably will not make it into the next release since I plan to upload it sometime tomorrow. The campaign balance is looking much more desirable and the worst bugs are fixed so I am happy.

If any character portraits are going to be added for the release I need them foldered so I don't have to do anything except paste. I have no time to do any of that kinda stuff yet, way too many critical things to do. I don't mind either way, so don't go out of your way on my account.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 13, 2017 at 04:11 PM.

Really excited to give this a shot...a First Age mod actually reaching a real playable state.

Kudo's to you and all those that helped make this possible, alreadyded

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I am adding in traits and ancillaries, if you think any characters should have certain ones post them.

New traits and ancillaries may be posted as well but they probably will not make it into the next release since I plan to upload it sometime tomorrow. The campaign balance is looking much more desirable and the worst bugs are fixed so I am happy.

If any character portraits are going to be added for the release I need them foldered so I don't have to do anything except paste. I have no time to do any of that kinda stuff yet, way too many critical things to do. I don't mind either way, so don't go out of your way on my account.
    Character portraits for pasting. I found that they work without messing with the background, at least during the time I tested them, and I like the fade to black in the corners format.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kellenpure; April 14, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Dagor Silmarillion Portraits.zip First attach didn't seem to work.
    Last edited by Kellenpure; April 14, 2017 at 09:53 PM.

Calaurin's Avatar Libertus
    Northern Italy - close to the mountains, lost in the wooden hills

Wow!

I'm very, very happy - with you at work on this I'm confident that a mod of the First Age eventually will be done, after the previous disappointments from other teams' unfinished work; alreadyded, you sir have quite a good rep and I much appreciate your mods so far

Officially released on moddb yesterday. Will post alternate site links here when I have confirmation all is working as desired.

Edit; Portraits were included.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 15, 2017 at 05:19 PM.

HERE it is.

Everything should work, I just updated the files in the previous upload that people were testing. Just let me know if it doesn't work, these installers can be iffy sometimes since they compress the files insanely well.

Can be installed over any previous release of Dagor Ennor/PCP.

EDIT; Install info added to first post.

Use moddb to report anything as a guest.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 16, 2017 at 04:38 AM.

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [RELEASED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

I installed the mod but every time I try to start a campaign it crashes. any suggestions?

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [RELEASED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Not sure what it is. Many others have it working so I didn't fail to include any files apparently. Try re-installing manually, and be sure to use the File Cleaner in your TATW data folder first.

First of all, great work on this submod. I have waited for a long time to play a First Age based submod.

So, I started several campaigns to understand who is who and how the campaign works. But whenever I tried to fight a battle to test it out, I get a CTD (2 so far, one with Ungoliant and her family, and one with Fingon). I followed the exact installation path with the file cleaner and all.

Edit : Ok, even custom battles end up in a CTD...
    Last edited by Green Partizan; April 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

If you are using vista/8+ then many experience the same as you. I can make some custom battle test scripts to get these crashes sorted but I would need a decent amount of people to commit to testing them, otherwise they are not worth even the few minutes it would take to make them. I do not get these crashes, I just fought a huge test battle with 2k+ spiders against 3k+ Orcs yesterday and didn't even get so much as a stutter.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you have windows 7 enable trace and submit a log and I can fix whatever part of the BAI script is causing it.

Why Fingon would crash I don't know, who were you fighting? He might have a custom battle model that isn't assigned properly or something like that. It should just make him invisible though, not cause a crash. Going to need more info, does Fingon crash for anyone else?
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 17, 2017 at 06:23 PM.

Figured it out. And thank you for creating this, I've literally been waiting since Third age came out for a Silmarillion mod.

If the installation instructions need improvements please do tell. I never installed any of my own stuff so I don't know if anything is wrong with them. I literally have no clue why some have trouble, but I wrote them so of course I understand them.