Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Honest question, how "rough" is this sub-mod? By that I mean, how frequent are bugs, glitches and ctds. Also do I actually need TATW to begin with?
    Crashes happen, but they don't make the mod unplayable. But the mod currently doesn't have unique first age units, buildings, traits and ancillaries. If you like the Sil give it a try.

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

I'm getting a CTD after trying to launch game. I reinstalled with a fresh TATW and files again, still crashed. Has anybody had issues installing and know how to work around them? I am following instructions very diligently and it is not installing :/ My TATW.bat works fine until I apply these files, so nothing is wrong with the TATW install.
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I'm getting a CTD after trying to launch game. I reinstalled with a fresh TATW and files again, still crashed. Has anybody had issues installing and know how to work around them? I am following instructions very diligently and it is not installing :/ My TATW.bat works fine until I apply these files, so nothing is wrong with the TATW install.
    Try to change TATW.cfg and Third Age.bat files as instructed here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15557224

@ alreadyded

I still get UI CTDs from time to time, and, I want to try to test something, but need some guidance from you: I want to remove couple of buildings to test does amount of buildings have an impact on CTDs (mostly those which add trade bonus ), so want to know which files should I dig in, and what to look for (just need an example).
    Last edited by ElvenKind; April 09, 2018 at 05:58 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    I still get UI CTDs from time to time, and, I want to try to test something, but need some guidance from you: I want to remove couple of buildings to test does amount of buildings have an impact on CTDs (mostly those which add trade bonus ), so want to know which files should I dig in, and what to look for (just need an example).
    Removing the faction you are playing as from being able to build them in export_descr_buildings should be all that is needed to have them not show in the game for that faction, or just remove all the factions so no one can build it to completely remove it.

Code:
    senta  requires factions { sicily, byzantium, milan, scotland, ireland, turks, norway, normans, middle_eastern, england, denmark, hre, portugal, greek, moors, saxons, timurids, papal_states, poland, four, france, }
    Edit; twcenter keeps blocking me from posting here.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 12, 2018 at 11:58 AM.

I could use some more saved games to see what needs fixing in the late game.

Also, the retrain bonuses are working from what I can see. So no idea what is up with that.

What do you consider Lategame? Currently playing with Khazad Dum in a first age campaing. I can send you savegames from diferent stages of the campaing, so you can check how the AI is doing. Is there an specific template of info i should address with the save file?

Any saved game is good, I am just looking for the most obvious stuff to fix right now. The more noticeable the problem the higher the priority it is. No info is needed with the save file, no need to even change the name of the file.

First of all what you asked for: Turn 128.7z, but gonna give some feedback and suggestions ( As always the mod is already excellent so just trying to be helpfull).

Quality of Life problems.

1. I dont know if this is shared with the third age map as well but there is a very bad road conection between settlements in the Misty Mountains and in the Grey Mountains/Angmar areas.
    This hinders tactical reinforcement from khazad Dum into the frontlines against the orcs. Considering dirt roads cost (4000) which is a considerable expending in early game.
    The roads are eitherway not showing or not pointing the very next mountain settlement, but outside the mountains.

Khazad Dûm

Morbur

Litash and Gakar

2.Script that gifts 5 units of snaga to evil factions in key settlements controlled by them every once in a while affects the faction that conquers this settlements regardless of being an evil faction or a bad faction( easy to remove this troops from the settlements but sometimes they pop up without you noticing and drain some money.

Snaga in settlement

3 Good factions tend to turn against each other regardless of diplomacy script selected at the start of the game ( I played a campaing prior to this one, got some elves fighting each other in beleriand). I got Nogrod and Belegost fighting eachother around turn 70, Esgaroth Northmen and Eotheod started fighting around turn 100.

4. Evil factions are very weak to smart diplomacy, they constantly beg for peace and accept ridicolous deals ( I bought Carn Dùm and Dain Halls in 2 separated peaces) Also AI does not care about winning in several fronts and is specially receptive when you are attacking several settlements at the same time.

5. Any siege can be cheesed by waiting all the necesary turns for the ai to sally out and once they get to the last one before surrender, you can play the battle and exit it, effectively getting a draw and conquering the settlement. This works to expand quickly through rebel settlements by sending half stacks that can keep the defenders inside enough time, then winning the battle without casualties. Not a big problem vs big settlements as waiting 12 turns is not an ideal way to take down an enemy fortress.

6. Trolls are very weak in auto resolve, orcs are too powerfull ( very likely numbers are very important here) This basically forces the player into more fights against orcs and less mopping up early on the game, so those early trolls waiting in pathways are easily stomped by militia spam.

7 Gâkar, Litash and Mount Gram are completely empty and look like prepared settlements for the orcs to take them quickly. If rushed properly they can be owned by the Khazad Dùm player at turn 7 before any orc army gets close enough. this however starts instantly the war with the orcs but allows for a little boost early on the game. i think giving this settlements some rebels and removing a bit of evil culture from them to give both Dwarves and orcs posibilities to use them earlier in the war would be a nice addition ( they got 90% melkor following which makes them useless to me for around 30 turns/60 if under constant orc attacks.)

8 Carn Dùm is a vanilla settlement which is much more op than the custom settlement I have seen in other mods ( cant rememeber who originally created it though). Adding it would make much easier for the ai to assault it succesfully, as vanilla citadels are quite complex and makes the ai take ages before getting to the center of the settlement.

9 Building cost reduction trees seem kind of extremely long to make and get use for. By the time you enjoy the discounts you are either dead because low investment of troops, or you already won the campaing. Military skill training buildings ( archery level increase, infantry level increase) seem quite expensive. All other utility trees ( free upkeep, replenishment,population,trade) seem fine to me.

10. Morbur has no mining resources and its mines produce 0.
    No money

Campaing expirience

Khazad Dùm is far away from the big conflicts in Beleriand but has to face from the very beginning a dangerous enemy. Their campaing seems challenging at start, could be extremely dificult if the orcs wouldnt allow easy peaces, sometimes even asking for them from time to time.

Probably gonna restart a new one after I get a big bunch of turns into the campaing and I get defenetively bored of it. Denying any peace to orcs and fighting constantly vs their spam might be much more challenging without constant interrupts as I have done in this campaing, so my results are kind of affected by bad diplomacy from part of the AI. In constant war I think that By turn 128 I would have conquered Gundabad and recently established a reliable pike and crossbow spam flowing into Gundabad and Gram. In the save I provide Im already pushing into the orcish Mainland with total control over Angmar and the Grey Mountains.

This I think would have taken more than 160-180 turns to achieve in constant war with orcs ( much more depleted economy and slower progression due to constant recruiting and reinforcing would have slowed me down).

Orcish rosters seem fine ( heavily influenced by the snaga script spam) but manageable. Eventual apparition of trolls, evil men and troll-men give some challenge spikes that are translated into mild-major losses and potential swifts in the frontline ( I lost once Litash and twice Gram).

So another great campaing with another masterpiece of work, once Im done with Khazad Dûm i will jump to play with one of my cousins in the Blue Mountains, belegost seems a true challenge facing Glaurung and Morgoth at the same time. Nogrod seems more of a happy turtling campaing with stack spam at the end of it.

Thanks for providing such a great campaing expirience and quite hyped for the second age campaing.
    Last edited by Draco; April 27, 2018 at 08:55 PM.

Draco - I am currently playing a long campaign as Nogrod and will provide feedback. Main issue I've had is occasional CTD, but more frustrating has been diplomacy with other lore allies, which never seem to want to work together without some completely whacked gift from me. I'd really like to see better cooperation.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 28, 2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Use bold sparsely please, not on the whole text

Here is a relatively late save, playing Nogrod.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would like to provide more feedback, but having issues with this web site, keeps blocking posts.

I am getting constant CTDs with something having to due with the descr_buildings file. Could this be due to the No Mans Land Scripts. Several of my save games have neen corrupted by this

I too am getting a tremendous number of CTD, I am going to upload the First Age UI fix and see if this resolves the issues. Basically, I have a CTD on every game I've tried. Besides that, I must say, this is the best looking MOD I have seen for TATW and thank you for the time and effort which has gone into the game. Thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Does this MOD allow the reunification of Arnor? What does it take.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Removed rather long rant.

im just joking but im seriously having issues and I did spend 3 hours at this...welp, less than 7 hours that was last time.

I get it, you are frustrated by frequent crashes. It's not uncommon. However, please do not forget that our modders spend loads of their free time creating these mods. Of course nobody forced them do so, but it is all available for free. Yes, you say you are "just joking" but the text you wrote here was nothing to laugh about. Also, there were more in that text than coins in uncle Scrooge McDuck's money bin. Perhaps it is good to have a look at the Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up as a member.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Veteraan, TATW local Moderator
    Last edited by Veteraan; June 09, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post
    Removed rather long rant.

im just joking but im seriously having issues and I did spend 3 hours at this...welp, less than 7 hours that was last time.

I get it, you are frustrated by frequent crashes. It's not uncommon. However, please do not forget that our modders spend loads of their free time creating these mods. Of course nobody forced them do so, but it is all available for free. Yes, you say you are "just joking" but the text you wrote here was nothing to laugh about. Also, there were more in that text than coins in uncle Scrooge McDuck's money bin. Perhaps it is good to have a look at the Terms of Service which you agreed to when you signed up as a member.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Veteraan, TATW local Moderator
    I was already fully aware of it, but because of the nature of the text, I didn't consider that anyone could take it seriously. It was rather ridiculous, even. The mention of it being a joke was the 'backup' fact to tell that it really was one-but I understand now, I shouldn't have ranted like that. The text didn't tell how I really felt, it was 1) a frustration reliever (ranting to the developers is a fantastic reliever...) and 2) a bad habit of mine to swear and rant.

However, I'm not discriminating some things I mentioned in the rant. Alreadyded or any associate that has control over the post and is aware of the problems the mod installation has had, you guys really you should update the instructions. I know you don't probably have the time, but the thing is, you save more of your own time and others. It will make everyone's life much easier. There's a lot of people who can't play your mod or didn't get to play your mod because of the fact that the instructions do actually suck and some who come into the forums for help might not even gain the information they need, which makes it very difficult. I truly have spent an entire year trying to install this mod, after failure and after failure and a dozen failures over.

So, firstly, the instructions should include the mention of InstallShield Wizard, which directs it for you. This can be a problem since a lot of people don't even know what InstallShield Wizard is and can make them slightly confused how it works and what's even going on. Secondly, you should mention the exact ways to swap/overwrite files; which specific files swapped with specific files. I found 5 data folders (albeit one called 'data1'), and this can be EXTREMELY confusing. It's possible that a lot of problems are caused by this. And thirdly, you should definitely mention about fixes to common problems with the installation, such as 'kingdoms.exe not found', which has been the brick wall separating the gamers from a probably awesome mod.

That is all, sorry, and thank you.

Sorry I missed the rant, I enjoy ranting myself. I don't have anything to do with installing though, I make the installers the only way I know how due to my limited experience and the huge file size (which makes it physically impossible (a very odd problem in a digital enviroment) to do many things because your PC wouldn't be able to handle a file larger than Window's max size).

InstallShield is the program gaming companies use to make installers. It is the only way how, be grateful I took the time to even learn to use the program so I could release it. I do plan on learning more eventually but that is pro stuff not modding a crappy old game like M2TW.

Thanks for all the feedback Draco, I will prioritize all that.

@ahmay, I don't think that would be the problem but it could be since it is a new addition. The farm buildings code is bugged from me trying something new, I would imagine that is more likely the cause. It has been fixed for the next release. It could be from the UI crash if that hasn't been fixed. Do you get the same crashes when not using the script? That option only adds a little bit of code to the buildings file, the rest relies on the game setup.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 22, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well dammit. I recently reinstalled M2TW and now my custom 470 FA campaign no longer works. I don't even remember which files I've modded now. Goddammit.

Clean install of TATW + TATW 3.2

Steam version of Medieval 2

Installed the First Age campaign with the installer. Tried installing directly into the Third_Age_3 folder once and on the second attempt I installed it to a seperate folder then copied all files into Third_Age_3

Crashes immideately to desktop upon launch. I do see the nice splash screen however. Any ideas? :/

update:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/dagor-sil...les-setup-1-01

did not see those files in the list until I looked a bit closer ^ will check back again to see if it works with a clean install with those files included. :p

Update 2: yep, that did the trick. It's easy to miss those files though ^ Make sure to install it before you install the First Age download.
    Last edited by Vhaelor; July 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Started a hotseat (or two) using this most amazing mod. If there is anyone interested http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15631303