Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Quote Originally Posted by regnak999 View Post
    I am about 75 turns in and having a blast in spite of occasional crashes(mostly from the city screen). One of the good factions was eliminated a about 10 turns back but I didn't write down who it was. Think it was a mannish faction though. Feanor is still alive but has been a people in flight 2 or 3 times. I am just about to be able to upgrade my first village to town and I turned one of the other ruins into a Motte and Bailey. I really love that option. I hope the feedback is useful to you.

Editing to add: Host of Feanor dead on turn 84.
    Quote Originally Posted by regnak999 View Post
    Ok 3 days later and still having a blast however something really odd just happened and if I can remember how to attach a screen shot you shall see.Attachment 345582

those 4 units of snagas used to be human. Something in Mt Gundabad turned them but thankfully spared the rest of the army. Here you see me sending them off to die.
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will certainly make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KabooseTheOx View Post
    Hey, I recently downloaded this mod and have been unable to get it working. Whenever I try to launch the game (either directly from the .bat file or from steam) the game instantly crashes as soon as I get to the first age loading screen. I reinstalled the mod twice on fresh copies of TATW doing exactly as instructed and could not find the problem. My vanilla, DaC, and MoS copies work without crashes so I've been trying to isolate a problem to no avail. This is a link (https://www.docdroid.net/zeu3D2x/systemlog.txt.html) I uploaded of my crash log to so I was hoping someone may be able to help me. Thanks in Advance.
    Someone on Moddb had the same problem, they said re-installing without a copy of DaC got it working for them. No idea what that is about or if it will work for you. The log shows zero errors. It may be a windows security thing unless DaC changes anything outside of its mod folder. I never installed DaC so I don't know if the two mods conflict. DaC uses some stuff from these mods though and I never got any bug reports from them except symbols missing from the multiplayer faction selection screen (which should be fixed in these mods and DaC now) so I assume they did not experience any conflicts.
    Last edited by alreadyded; May 27, 2017 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: Dagor Silmarillion [UPDATED]~ First Age Campaigns '...slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon (bonuses) and by (coded) torment and by (scripted) grief...'

Great work on making switching the campaigns possible!

Ok I have killed both Glaurung(he took at least 1400 of my troops, mostly ones that had converted to Snaga with him) and a Balrog in the last few turn and am having a blast. Now a couple questions

1: Overpopulation, a few of my settlements are growing unhappy because of it even though 2 of those have not reached the population to upgrade yet. What should I do about it? Do I need to build the urban development or something else?

2: One of the Orc factions that I have been beating on has turned into a horde and popped up with over 10 full stacks. They had 2 settlements left in the far northeast but suddenly those went rebel and the horde appeared shortly thereafter. What do I need to do to eliminate them so they don't come back again?

Thanks again for the great mod!

editing to add: Ok I answered question 2 however that leads to another question. Is it your intent for the orc stacks after a horde is eliminated to all turn into Balrogs?
    Last edited by regnak999; June 10, 2017 at 08:52 PM.

No they shouldn't be Balrogs, only 7 Balrogs should exist and I haven't made them immortal yet, there should be many stacks (10 sounds right) spawned in Angband or Utumno if those factions have 3 or less regions I think. They are not supposed to be eliminated being the point, just beaten back to the original siege lines (for lore), if you attack their "home turf" you get a pain-train. So just keep them bottled up is what to do, those spawn scripts do run out though (there may only be one I can't recall, 3 at most) so those factions can still be destroyed like any other. These are just simple placeholder scripts that have about the same affect/effect as the ones I will swap in later on will have (or better). These northern factions need a lot of help (and subtle so it isn't noticeable) along the way to deal with so many enemies, I just haven't cared to spend the time on it yet. Also I haven't gotten enough feedback to know what needs to be done for balancing yet so that comes first.

Urban Development will help but is probably more beneficial to build a bit earlier before the unhappiness sets in. Overpopulation was designed to slow growth and eventually stop it in Large and Huge Cities as well as Large Castles and Citadels. This was done only for lore reasons, to keep the populations lower (this was designed for the Third Age after that plague, I may rebalance for the First Age if the populations should be larger then(I don't know)), there should be no settlements with 100k population (I don't recall what the cut off is). It may not be working as intended though; if you have already built happiness buildings, have a decent governor, have a decent garrison (10 units I guess, not sure), and 90+ culture, then happiness shouldn't be a problem that lower taxes can't solve. If it isn't working that way I will need to fix it.

Edit; I am pretty trashed right now, ask again if I missed something or it doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 11, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Great then I can auto win the converted Balrog stacks without guilt! Killing the is an incredible pain.

I should add that certain aspects of this mod (and more to come) rely on using up your abundance or over-production of something. Certain buildings are good to build to make use of that abundance of happiness just like raising taxes to make use of it, just a different route that focuses on population instead of making money in the short term. This was required to add in a lot of variety to buildings and is pretty much all I will use for new tech trees that are added. One planned tech tree will let extra culture (and buildings that produce it) be put to use in essentially trading it for new units with "boarding houses" that take culture but give access to units from other cultures (with like 20 turn replen rates or more I guess, certainly rare). And a few others like that, I have them planned already they just are not a priority, just a way to make use of stuff after it isn't needed anymore like culture buildings/traits/anc when you have 100 culture in the settlement. Which in turn makes the stuff that produces culture still useful... and ya a 'vicious cycle' of ever useful stuff is what I hope to achieve ultimately, at no point should you say "eh... I got zero use for that, FU game!" or "I already got this crap, WTF?!?!" is the essence of it, I don't want to add in more of the same.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 11, 2017 at 05:21 PM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I should add that certain aspects of this mod (and more to come) rely on using up your abundance or over-production of something. Certain buildings are good to build to make use of that abundance of happiness just like raising taxes to make use of it, just a different route that focuses on population instead of making money in the short term. This was required to add in a lot of variety to buildings and is pretty much all I will use for new tech trees that are added. One planned tech tree will let extra culture (and buildings that produce it) be put to use in essentially trading it for new units with "boarding houses" that take culture but give access to units from other cultures (with like 20 turn replen rates or more I guess, certainly rare). And a few others like that, I have them planned already they just are not a priority, just a way to make use of stuff after it isn't needed anymore like culture buildings/traits/anc when you have 100 culture in the settlement. Which in turn makes the stuff that produces culture still useful... and ya a 'vicious cycle' of ever useful stuff is what I hope to achieve ultimately, at no point should you say "eh... I got zero use for that, FU game!" or "I already got this crap, WTF?!?!" is the essence of it, I don't want to add in more of the same.
    strange than that what you try to do reaches the opposite for me it makes me FU game
    just a matter of taste I guess
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Well ya, I didn't like M2TW or TATW's gameplay so my tastes are different. My goal other than to learn new things and practice them, is to add depth to this game that I think is shallow, especially on the strat map. Adding more of the same is not depth to me, that is more of what I refer to as "bells and whistles" or just plain uncreative in some cases (copy/pasting with a slight change). I would rather spend my time doing something that at least feels more unique whether it actually is or not. Adding in more buildings that give trade bonuses when there are already plenty, or more units with slight differences, or whatever just to fill up the space... not my thing unless I am getting paid to do it, and even then I would try to take as creative approach to it as possible, or be creative in designing a tool or program to do that repetitive task for me. Or just treat it like a chore and get trashed before I do it so I don't even remember doing it.

Of course I have always been trashed when making this mod too, not sober for even a minute of modding I bet (never been on this forum sober either), so it isn't important to me. Just a fun and productive hobby that allows me to learn and practice things, be creative and do whatever I want, then interact with them in a game instead of just stare at it on my monitor. I spend far more time making and modding things outside of games and non computer stuff.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 12, 2017 at 03:09 PM.

This mod kind of makes me want to build a decent desktop with Windows 7. My Windows 10 hates spiders. Although, part of me hates the idea of this mod because I can't stand it when the good guys don't win haha

This is a strange request, but is there any other installation method that I could use other than the installer? I have one of those laptops with a tiny C:\ drive so i run everything off of an external drive D:\. Even though I select the installation path in my medieval 2 folder in the D:\ drive it says I dont have enough space in drive C:\, im guessing because it has to unpack it there first and move it over?

So is there an archive that I can just unpack into my third age total war folder without the installer? Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by b2ector View Post
    This mod kind of makes me want to build a decent desktop with Windows 7. My Windows 10 hates spiders. Although, part of me hates the idea of this mod because I can't stand it when the good guys don't win haha
    z3n's BAI is optional in this mod now, this may work better with vista/8+. No one has reported anything yet though. Once I get an idea of what direction to go to improve it I can but since I don't experience these crashes I rely on others to tell me of any difference.

Morgoth does eventually lose, it just takes awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by silmarildust View Post
    This is a strange request, but is there any other installation method that I could use other than the installer? I have one of those laptops with a tiny C:\ drive so i run everything off of an external drive D:\. Even though I select the installation path in my medieval 2 folder in the D:\ drive it says I dont have enough space in drive C:\, im guessing because it has to unpack it there first and move it over?

So is there an archive that I can just unpack into my third age total war folder without the installer? Sorry if this is the wrong thread
    I wanted to make it so it installs directly from the net (that is the best way so it isn't a strange request) but there is no where to host it for free that allows that anymore. So unless someone finds a place I couldn't, or offers up some of their server space to do the archive thing than it is not going to happen. Only some temporary files should be put on your C drive while unpacking and installing. You can rename your hard drives to install and then rename them back after, that is what I used to do 15 years ago with my laptops anyway. Nowadays you can run your whole OS from a thumb drive so that is probably what I would do now, but I have never really had to worry about HD space for a very long time so I never even consider it when making stuff.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 28, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Here is a test fix for the UI glitch some are having, also a test for optional new content which adds pre-requisites to certain tech trees (less options until certain buildings are built, still the same amount of options overall). The "Offices of the Seneschal" building needs to be built to allow additional trade/economy buildings. The "...Castelleyn" building allows more options that have to do with settlement improvements of all sorts. The "...Marachal" building allows buildings that give military bonuses.

First Age UI Glitch Test

Info; Unzip to desktop and replace your "Third_Age_(whatever)\data" folder with the included "data" folder.

Less building options from the start due to pre-requisites may reduce the memory leak causing the UI glitch.

Removed a lot of redundant code that may have been a large factor.

Third and Fourth Age files included for File Swapping.

Edit;

First Age UI Glitch Test Undo; Reverts back to original files.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 03, 2017 at 03:17 PM.

I wanted to make it so it installs directly from the net (that is the best way so it isn't a strange request) but there is no where to host it for free that allows that anymore. So unless someone finds a place I couldn't, or offers up some of their server space to do the archive thing than it is not going to happen. Only some temporary files should be put on your C drive while unpacking and installing. You can rename your hard drives to install and then rename them back after, that is what I used to do 15 years ago with my laptops anyway. Nowadays you can run your whole OS from a thumb drive so that is probably what I would do now, but I have never really had to worry about HD space for a very long time so I never even consider it when making stuff.
    If you wish to make it a torrent version, I am more than happy to be a seeder. My upload is not big, 15 Mbits, but is more than enough. And, I have a flat internet.

If you don`t know how to set it up, I am more than willing to give you a hand in setting it up.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

When I try to run any of the campaigns (Dagor Silmarillion for example) it says 'kingdoms.exe not found'. Also, the instructions are pretty unclear, since it says to replace the data folder with the PCP files folder. But then it also says to do the same with the First Age installer. This is weird, because by this instruction, you replace the same data you just replaced with the PCP files with the First age data. Also, when i installed them, it started InstallShield Wizard, rather than with the usual. It didnt have the option to direct the folder.

Give the .bat files Full Privileges by right clicking and going to Properties and Security then Edit (all boxes should have a checkmark). I just had this problem too when trying to use them on the wife's laptop (win 8.1).

The Core Files (2gb) and the Campaigns Files (800mb) are two different things, they do not overwrite each others files they add to them, you are only overwriting the folder because both are named data.

InstallShield is what I use, it is the only installer that can handle the huge file size and super compress it (even so I still need to split it in two parts). The option to change folders is activated, I saw it and used when I installed it a few days ago on this laptop, so nothing I can do for you there.

The instructions may suck but that is the best I could come up with that is compatible for so many different versions of windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    If you wish to make it a torrent version, I am more than happy to be a seeder. My upload is not big, 15 Mbits, but is more than enough. And, I have a flat internet.

If you don`t know how to set it up, I am more than willing to give you a hand in setting it up.
    That is up to you, I am not concerned about distributing it but I may be able to do the direct to drive install with a torrent. I have really good internet too but I wouldn't seed much before I stopped caring so I never bothered making one.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post
    When I try to run any of the campaigns (Dagor Silmarillion for example) it says 'kingdoms.exe not found'. Also, the instructions are pretty unclear, since it says to replace the data folder with the PCP files folder. But then it also says to do the same with the First Age installer. This is weird, because by this instruction, you replace the same data you just replaced with the PCP files with the First age data. Also, when i installed them, it started InstallShield Wizard, rather than with the usual. It didnt have the option to direct the folder.
    Check that there are no other files in another mod folder named TATW.cfg, if so rename them. Vista/8+ seem to be trying to launch all .cfg files named TATW.cfg in the mods folder. That is what just happened with me on this laptop running Win 8 anyway, it gave me the 'kingdoms.exe not found' too until I renamed the file.

The mod folder the .bats are in may need Full Privileges as well since they copy and paste files, vista/8+ do not allow this in the Programs Folder without Full Permissions (be able to read and write files). You can just install it the manual way on the desktop and copy/paste the data folder yourself and launch TATW the way you used to, which is exactly what the .bats do for you. The data\First_Age folder (or Third_Age) have their own data folders inside copy/paste one over your main data folder to swap the files manually, this is where the .bats get the files from to swap.

This may need to be done with the File Cleaner too, without being able to remove files it will not work (even with UAC as disabled as it gets). If you see vanilla TATW maps in the campaign selection screen for any factions then vista/8+ stopped the cleaner doing its job, removing files that must be removed.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 11, 2017 at 03:58 PM.

The mod folder the .bats are in needs Full Privileges as well since they copy and paste files, vista/8+ do not allow this in the Programs Folder without Full Permissions (be able to read and write files). You can just install it the manual way on the desktop and copy/paste the data folder yourself and launch TATW the way you used to, which is exactly what the .bats do for you. The data\First_Age folder (or Third_Age) have their own data folders inside copy/paste one over your main data folder to swap the files manually, this is where the .bats get the files from to swap.

You also need to do to with the File Cleaner too, without being able to remove files it will not work. If you see vanilla TATW maps in the campaign selection screen for any factions then vista/8+ stopped the cleaner doing its job, removing files that must be removed.
    How do I swap the files? Does it happen when you paste it in to the data folder?

How do I swap the files? Does it happen when you paste it in to the data folder?
    Also, theres 2 datas, 'data' and 'data1'. What do I do with both?

Also, theres 2 datas, 'data' and 'data1'. What do I do with both?
    Oh nvm, I see what you mean. But what about the other campaigns? They have their own data folders, correct?

Also, as soon as I got to the first loading screen, it said that the audio will be disabled, and then it crashed. I don't know if I swapped it right. I deleted the data folder of Third_Age_3, and then added the first age data folder. Did I do something wrong?