Thread: The height of 20th-century cinematic excellence: The Stupids (1996)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default The height of 20th-century cinematic excellence: The Stupids (1996)

Ah! There's nothing like a fine vintage wine, and although this one is only 20 years old and still quite crisp, it nevertheless demonstrates the height of cinematic achievement during the closing chapter of 20th-century era film. Perhaps enough time has passed in order to properly reflect on the profound impact this film has made on the cinematic landscape, truly a titan of its genre akin to Citizen Kane (1941), its equal on so many fronts if not its superior. Tom Arnold delivers a most delectable thespian performance in this borderline bawdy tale of an average American family thrown into the seedy underworld of illicit arms dealing and an international conspiracy of the highest order. Directed by the legendary John Landis, whose cinematic genius was recognized earlier on with masterpieces like National Lampoon's Animal House, The Blues Brothers, and above all Beverly Hills Cop III, this savory journey both delights and entices the viewer into the brilliantly colored and exaggerative world of suburban America during the decade of the 1990s. In that regard it can be placed within a comparative context of such films as Edward Scissor Hands, which although set in its contemporary world reflects the artistic styles of fashion and decor that harkon back to the 1960s.

I would highly suggest a rewatching of this film for anyone who has seen it long ago and would strongly recommend for those who haven't seen it to watch it right away!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The height of 20th-century cinematic excellence: The Stupids (1996)

Looks like a beacon of enlightenment compared to the average adam sandler flick. Or pretty much anything that passes for comedy in this century.

The best part is all the Mortal Kombat style music used in the trailer.

Also, I agree with your comment about recent Adam Sandler flicks (I exclude Billy Madison from this category entirely...I suppose Happy Gilmore was okay as well, but anything after The Waterboy...).

Nah there are some nice comedy films still rolling.
    Just not as obvious as the neighbours kinda of flicks or Adam sandler kinda of flicks.....
    You just need to probe a litle deeper arround and find them.

For instance...
    Im talking about the recent Nice guys film, from Shane black, with Russel Crowe. I had a genuine blast with the film. I hope Shane black does more like it... because his iron man 3 realy sucked ass.

I hope he does more films like this.

At anycase this post probably doesnt belong in this thread, given the OP is so full of Ironic sarcastic Satire tone... isnt that right Mr. Victrix?

Btw i dont remember the Stupids way back in 1996... Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    At anycase this post probably doesnt belong in this thread, given the OP is so full of Ironic sarcastic Satire tone... isnt that right Mr. Victrix?
    Why, whatever do you mean, good sir? I was being most faithful and true in my review. It is an honest and candid retelling of this comedic epic and cinematic colossus.

I'll have to check out The Nice Guys. Thanks for sharing that.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I watched this movie as a kid and greatly enjoyed it. Just lmao multiple times. In the name of the Lloyd!

Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 09, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

^ LOL. The whole movie in a nutshell. Tom Arnold's genius is often left neglected and forgotten:

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The best part about the stupids is that it is completely kid friendly. You can use this as a jumping point to some of the heavier stuff, like Austin Powers.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I love some physical comedy. Never seen this one. The trailer looks good. Is there any more content other than the scenes shown in the trailer?

Well, yeah, you could watch the video Oda posted above. SPOILER, though, it basically shows the movie in a nutshell, from start to finish, even though it's just a small amount of clips.