Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Judex-Rex - The original thread

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Judex-Rex - Digital Historical Reconstruction, in this case the world of late antiquity, abbreviated DHRLAs

That card editable StartPos:

Size of arrows intrusion shows their power!

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Judex-Rex - Digital Historical Reconstruction, in this case the world of late antiquity, abbreviated DHRLAs

Looks pretty good overall, but some factions appear a bit out of place:

1. Teutones
    - As far as I know, this tribe is not mentioned after the Cimbrian War, I think it is very unlikely that they still existed in the 4th century. Probably merged into the Saxons (if they even were a distinct tribe to begin with, rather than a super-tribal confederation).

2. Carpi
    - I'm unsure if the Carpi still existed as a serious force in the 4th century either. In any case I understand they were placed on the Carpathian mountains, rather than the Hungarian plains. In my opinion they should be replaced with either "Sarmatae" (this is what Ammianus calls Sarmatian tribes of Pannonia) or the Hasdingi Vandals.

3. Iazyges
    - Last mentioned occupying the Pannonian plain (Hungary) in the 2nd century. At this point probably no longer existant as a distinct entity, in any case they are definitely misplaced.

4. Roxolani
    - Lived on the Danube frontier during the 2nd century. Reportedly attacked Pannonia in the 3rd century, suggesting they likewise moved into Pannonia/Dacia and merged with the Iazyges to form Ammianus' "Sarmatae". Again, they are definitely misplaced and likely no longer existed in the 4th century.

There are a few other areas/tribes I'm not entirely sure about, like the Venedae occupying Southern Poland at this date, but since these areas aren't covered by the Roman historians, they are more subject to interpretation.

And finally, keep up the good work! Note that even if I offer some criticism, the effort you're putting into this is definitely appreciated!
    Last edited by Charerg; October 24, 2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Can you quote actual sources that do mention them? And I mean Ancient sources. Also, I would be very careful of trusting those maps. For example, the Euratlas map is entirely in error. There are no Roman sources that place a people called "Sarmatae" north of the Huns in 400 AD. Ammianus (ca 380) calls the Pannonian Sarmatians "Sarmatae" and the Pontic Sarmatians "Alani". The Alani were probably split into various tribes collectively called "the Alans", but in any case they were largely conquered by the Huns in 370s. Keep in mind that most maps of the ancient world are based on either Pliny's Naturalis Historia (50 AD), Tacitus' Germania (100 AD) or Ptolemy's Geographia (150 AD). These are all very much outdated sources for the 4th century. And in any case most maps tend to mix tribes from various sources very freely. And some works like the Geographia are not probably entirely reliable in the first place when it comes to regions like Sarmatia or Germania. The Geographia contains literally dozens of tribes that are never mentioned anywhere else.

If your starting date is 367 AD, I would recommend basing the starting position on Ammianus' works, since he was a contemporary writer of the period. Also, just reading the wikipedia articles on the aforementioned tribes is a pretty good starting point. The Carpi, for example, were probably pretty much eliminated north of the Danube by 318. Although some historians do dispute whether the Carpi remained. In any case, they are probably a too minor faction compared to the other tribes of the area (Hasdingi Vandals, Gepids, the Pannonian Alans/Sarmatians) to be worth including in my opinion.
    Last edited by Charerg; October 25, 2016 at 04:14 PM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

https://books.google.ru/books?id=U8G...ammian&f=false
    https://translate.google.ru/translat..._0&prev=search

Many historians believe that the tribes Carpi became one of the main tribes Suebians. In the year 367 Ammianus describes the village Carpi.
    But yes, they will be insignificant fraction.
    Our historian is well aware of this period of history, do not worry!
    Here his work: Archaeological catalog - all known helmets and shields from the 3-7 century AD, the article: Helmet pommel, plumes period of the late Roman Empire, and probably many more things.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Ammianus does mention the Carpi, but only those that have been settled into Roman lands. Therefore, it seems a plausible assumption that after their great defeats at the hands of the Romans (including major deportations), the Carpi had been settled into Roman frontiers as auxiliaries and slaves. However, since I don't want to turn the thread into a historical debate, I'll stop harping on about it. As this is your mod, you are of course free to implement your own vision of the late Roman world. Anyway, best of luck with the mod!

Edit:
    Btw, a minor remark regarding the archaeological catalogue: as all the helmet categories are locked behind a password (presumably an answer to some easy question, but written in Cyrillic), they are effectively inaccessible for English-speakers. This is fine if you intend them to be private, but if you want those categories to be avalailable to non-Cyrillic readers I would suggest removing the password.
    Last edited by Charerg; October 26, 2016 at 05:14 AM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

I agree.
    The directory password in the Latin alphabet. Many people are stealing information from there and do not write source. Password can be obtained if you write 3 posts on the forum: http://forum.late-roman.ru/
    You can write in English, any topic.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Version - 0.0.8
    Arrange the fractions on the map
    All fractions are placed on the map. Eleven new factions.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Version - 0.0.9
    Historical characters and diplomatic relations on the map
    All factions changed diplomatic relations with each other.
    Added historical characters:

Western Roman Empire: Valentinianus, Iustina, Gratianus
    Eastern Roman Empire: Valens, Domnica, Theodosius, Flacilla
    The Visigoths: Aoric, Athanaric, Fritigern, Alaric, Alavivus
    Ostrogoths: Ermanaric, Sunilda, Vithimiris, Witeric, Alatheus, Saphrax
    Roksolany: Sarus, Ammius, Sunilda
    Iazyges: Zizais
    Franks: Marcomer
    Sassanids: Hormizd, Shapur, Ardashir, Bahram
    Armenia: Tiran, Arshak, Pap

And a lot of modified small things, all sorts of icons, the structure of kinship in the family tree of the characters from different factions and so on.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Guys, I need help!
    Who will help to translate text from google translator for a good English? There are only 10 lines of text to translate! This event, with no event to play will not be interesting!

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

If it's just 10 lines of correcting the grammar and such, I can do it. Although I should mention that as I'm not a native English speaker myself, you might want to prioritize a native English speaker, if any such person offers to do the translation. Anyway, just send the text to me as a private message, if you want me to translate it.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    If it's just 10 lines of correcting the grammar and such, I can do it. Although I should mention that as I'm not a native English speaker myself, you might want to prioritize a native English speaker, if any such person offers to do the translation. Anyway, just send the text to me as a private message, if you want me to translate it.
    Yes thanks a lot! native speakers have not found. I later write you text in a private message!
    By the way soon we are planning to release the release of mod!

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Version - 0.1
    Forest robbers
    Created fraction of forest robbers, scattered areas on the map of European campaigns and often occurs on the spawn!
    This fraction operates as a horde, has no possibility of recruiting and does not build anything, but sometimes it can save money for the purchase of mercenaries to replenish its ranks professionals.
    With the help of the robbers manage to pump you \ train your army and characters.
    This faction has three types of units: robbers_warlord, robbers_brigade, robbers_bows.

i just discovered this thread, and i'm very happy to see your project ! 367 is a perfect date for a campaign as WRE

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    i just discovered this thread, and i'm very happy to see your project ! 367 is a perfect date for a campaign as WRE
    Thank you!

Version - 0.1.1 - ready
    The alignment of the armies on the campaign map.

Next version 0.1.2 - release beta version of the mod.
    It will soon be available for download.
    Last edited by grif; November 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

grif's Avatar Semisalis

The release version !!!

___Judex-Rex___

Chapter I: The campaign of scorched

Version - 0.1.2
    Each successive figure - after zero, is a global fashion and fashion is considered a separate chapter, therefore, has its own name that describes in its name than special different from other versions.
    The first chapter, as you can see from the title - it's a fully working new campaign!

New playable faction - Roksolana, Veneds, Armenia.
    Added three new factions to the game. Completely new: description, icon, leader, model, political parties and personages, including Traits and many others. al.

Roksolany
    Veneds
    Armenia

Eleven other new factions.
    aestii - playable faction in the presence of DLC Slavic Nations Culture Pack
    attacoti
    aorsi
    absilae
    blemmyes
    carpi
    heruli
    tevtones
    sciri
    semnones
    Saraceni - playable faction in the presence of DLC Empires of Sand Culture Pack

New Balance and strategic gameplay
    The average number of soldiers in units changed and likened to a cohort, equitum, ale and is equal to 300, for the horse and foot.
    Now the game has become a real strategy, not tactics with strategy elements. Hiring with one turn is not possible. Now, depending on the fractions is 2, 3, 4 turns. Increased cost of hiring mercenaries: land x5 times, sea x30 times.
    Shipbuilding has now become a costly military production and hiring of vessels increased to x10 times.
    For transportation of Army transport ship undertakes a separate fee 400 for a small ship, 700 for high - at the same time and 200 each move for any ship.

And a lot of modified small things, all sorts of icons, the structure of kinship in the family tree of the characters from different factions and so on.
    All describe it is not possible!

Last edited by grif; November 24, 2016 at 02:18 PM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

This topic should be moved to section - Ready mods.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Thread moved from WIPs, Ideas and Proposals.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Thread moved from WIPs, Ideas and Proposals.
    Thank you!

Sori! There were problems downloading the mod.
    Now it works! Download and play!
    Full English version!
    To battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mod has two versions!
    The first version for those who decide to try out a brutal hardcore and ready to play for the Visigoths, with the Judge-Rex Atanarih.
    The second version is for those who love Rome, Rome, and only Rome! In this case, it is your version. If you select the first and to play for Roma or any other faction - The Visigoths are quickly destroyed - there is not very good.

Native English version consists of two packs. Russifier goes third packs.

Version 1 - for a fraction of the Visigoths:
    http://www.late-roman.ru/data/documents/0judex_rex.zip
    http://www.late-roman.ru/data/docume...udex_rex_2.zip

Version 2 - for any other fraction - besides the Visigoths:
    http://www.late-roman.ru/data/docume...udex_rex_1.zip
    http://www.late-roman.ru/data/docume...udex_rex_2.zip

Packie: 0judex_rex 0judex_rex_1 and can not be used \ turn on together!
    You need to choose only one of them, otherwise it will be ERROR!