Thread: Building rules rollout

Default Building rules rollout

If Admin/Moderation is planning to implement stricter fort rules, suggest rolling them out as soon as convenient. I see that no beds in forts is a poll winner. Also there is the existing no obsidian in walls rule. Are there more rules being decided on?

I got the impression from other threads that a whole set of guidelines may be coming. If so, it would be good to have everything in place so we can make the new rules work, and new people can get used them as a given. Personally I've been holding off abit to see what is coming, to avoid wasted work.

BR

Default Re: Building rules rollout

We will have an update regarding that poll and other rule changes this weekend.

I apologize for the delay.

GRAND ARCHITECT OF THE DWARVEN EMPIRE

Staff is finalizing some plans and will have an update this weekend to announce. Stay tuned.

I have made a post in regards to the implementation of the bed rule for forts.

Please look at post #89 via the following link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post15110165

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

TheEliteDwarf

Sorry to bring the whole topic up again, but how exactly will this benefit anything? All it will do is make sieges pointless and mean that forts will no longer hold valuables. Is there something I'm missing here? How does this actually improve anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Beny1995 View Post
    Sorry to bring the whole topic up again, but how exactly will this benefit anything? All it will do is make sieges pointless and mean that forts will no longer hold valuables. Is there something I'm missing here? How does this actually improve anything?
    A lot of people agree with you but the vote was held not even a month ago... I understand that somethings changed but I don't think it's correct to change the same rule every month. Even then, I think that should you gather more support and maybe staff will look onto it.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

I'd honestly have to agree,this kills the concept of a long term siege and really forces sides to be a lot cockier.I understand that this might be useful when players don't have much time on their hands but I still feel that this is quite harsh,especially when you have faction members that actually live inside of the defensive structures (which is the case with one of the D.P.R.M.'s citizens).

Jyrre's Avatar Libertus

Yeah, whats the reasoning behind the bed rule? Wars have been waged without this rule for years and it has worked just fine has it not? Seems pretty drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nerd_Gamer View Post
    I'd honestly have to agree,this kills the concept of a long term siege.
    This is entirely the point. 'Long term sieges' massively scew pvp in favor of the defenders. A well built fort is near impossible to take when the enemy can endlessly respawn in it, while the attackers have a MUCH harder time doing so.

Sieges naturally always benefit the defender in terms of kills, however the ability to respawn inside the fort amplifies that affect tremendously thus making gamey forts even gamier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrre
    Yeah, whats the reasoning behind the bed rule? Wars have been waged without this rule for years and it has worked just fine has it not? Seems pretty drastic.
    The issue of unattackable forts has been around since map 2, and staff has sought a solution to the problem ineffectively since then. So no, it has not worked just fine. We don't want to continue punishing players' manpower for attacking in wars.

If you have a just as effective way to reduce the defender's advantage I'd be happy to hear it.
    Last edited by Ditronian; September 11, 2016 at 09:50 AM.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that its good for sieges. Why siege a fort if you know it will have no loot and quite probably get fewer kills than possible in sieges currently. As an attacker, risking a siege is now pointless as there will be no reward. As a defender, why bother with forts at all now that it no longer acts as a safe area for your valuables? When you cannot use a fort as your base they loose all value.

I would say that the defenders advantage doesn't need nerfing at all to be honest. But that ​was never put to a vote.

I've NEVER thought my fort as a safe area for my valuables (that's why we make secret stashes), anything placed there was always considered at high risk of being lost. Most people use forts since they are defensible locations that could be operated from and defended in times of war, and this rule changes nothing about that so I doubt people will just stop using them. Players can definitely defend a flat field if they wish, but I think they will find it won't be as effective.

As an attacker, I'd siege a fort because its more MUCH more likely to have a positive outcome now. Killing your enemies and winning a war is quite the reward in of itself. This makes it far easier to do that.

I get that nerfing the defenders advantage a bit may not be popular with everyone, change rarely is, however this is a longtime issue that we admins wished to try and address going ahead. Regarding it not being put to a vote, those of us who own the server and its resources have put in A LOT of time and money into it, so you'll have to accept there will be some decisions we reserve the right to make the call on. No previous version of the server has functioned any differently.
    Last edited by Ditronian; September 11, 2016 at 08:19 PM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Nothing ever stopped the attackers building beds and generally that's what they did for large sieges.

Jyrre's Avatar Libertus

^

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Nothing ever stopped the attackers building beds and generally that's what they did for large sieges.
    Sure, outside of claims and the fort and with far less supplies. Now neither side gets to teleport in reinforcements (aka re-spawning) in the middle of the fighting, before it was a defenders only perk.

I'd like to remember that the bed area can still be connected to the fort through a secret tunnel, but pay attention, I said connected, not inside!

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Okay I'll stop trying. But how do you expect new players (once the planned advertisement has happened) to react to a no-beds-in-your-base rule?

Okay I'll stop trying. But how do you expect new players (once the planned advertisement has happened) to react to a no-beds-in-your-base rule?
    Staff will be implementing a new spawn/tutorial underground chamber area below the existing spawn once we have completed creating the tutorials via the NPC plugin. This area will serve as not only an in-game rules location but will have detailed tutorials for new players to access in order for them to understand how the server is set up and how to play in it. There will be a faction tutorial as well as a war related tutorial which will contain the bed-rule information. Check Ditrionian's separate thread for more information: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...r-Enhancements

This way, we will have an established information foundation in-game so that every new player coming in will have a clearer and better understanding of what they can expect. How they react is entirely up to them depending on what type of person they are and what they are looking for.