Thread: Barracks/Recruiting strategy

Default Barracks/Recruiting strategy

Do you guys have any special tactics where to build manipular/auxilia barracks and were to recruit the best cavalry/missile troops? Im playing as Rome but im a bit confused now. Should i build 1 barracks per province, should it be manipular or auxiliary, how can i get the best cavalry off my provinces, where to build Warhorse pens and military academies?
    Oh, im after polybian reforms and soon comes the marian. Is it worth planning ahead for this?

Feel free to post your thoughts, tactics and tips
    Historia est magistra vitae. - Cicero

Default Re: Barracks/Recruiting strategy

You never need more than one manipular barracks, and that should general be in italia.

Early on, good regions for auxillary barracks are syracuse (romanized cretan archers), germania inferior (romanized germanic heavy infantry, sarmatian cataphracts).

Once marian reforms roll around, the germania inferior barracks will grant access to excellent batavian infantry, as well as good skirmishers.

Having an auxillary barracks ready to upgrade in any gallic province will give access to excellent cavalry, as will a auxillary barracks in southern spain.
    Southern spain also offers some good skirmishers.

Finally, having an auxillary barracks on the island of crete will give you access to more heavily armoured auxillary cretan archers.

Some good places to build:

Gaul - good medium cav, skirmishers
    Spain - slingers, skirmishers, good cav, good medium infantry
    Germany - mix and match heavy melee
    Thrace - horsearchers, skirmishers, offensive infantry
    Sicily - Javcav, gastraphaltes, archers
    Mesopotamia - syrian elephants, elite archers, elite cav

Gastraphaltes are not romanized units or recruited from a barracks however.

But they are a good reason to take syracuse quickly.

Okay, one more thing: building barracks in a region does allow me to recruit the units in the whole province? For example if i build a barracks in lylibaion can i recruit tarantine cavalry, or i have to build barracks in brundisium for that?

In most cases yes.

There a few cases where units are confined to a single city and not the province.

It is the most unique in southern italy. A aux barracks in brundism or cosentia gives access to roman socii units.
    One in syracuse gives access to cretan archers.
    One in lillybaion gives access to north african units.

Also to get romanized baelric slingers, I believe the barracks on the island there.

For aux reformed cretan archers, the barracks has to be on crete, not sparta or athens.

There may be more cases, but those are the main exceptions. Otherwise one aux barracks in a region will allow recruitment of all the aux units in that province.

Thanks for the help