View Poll Results: Who do you support for president of the United States?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hillary Clinton / Tim Kaine

63 31.82%
  • Donald Trump / Mike Pence

86 43.43%
  • Gary Johnson / William Weld

34 17.17%
  • Jill Stein / Ajamu Baraka

15 7.58%

Thread: US Presidential Election 2016: Hillary Clinton vs Donald Trump

Default Re: US Presidential Election 2016: Hillary Clinton vs Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    "“I’m going to think about it,” he said, later adding he was more focused on getting “the country straightened away.”
    “She did some bad things,” he said, when asked about his previous comments and references to Clinton as “Crooked Hillary.” “I don’t want to hurt … They’re good people.”
    "

The above Is 2 lines below Phier's quote. Trump's probably not going to do it.
    Trump doesn't have to. Now he can try to scuttle it with the DOJ like Obama did, but I don't think thats going to go over well. He can wash his hands of it.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

So, liberals are now:
    -berating hispanics because 33% voted Trump
    -berating blacks because they didn't flock to vote Hillary as they did for Obama (but they don't dare to call them racist yet)
    -berating white women for betraying Hillary (a woman apparently should vote with her vagina or don't vote)

Does anyone still think identity politics is not a hate ideology? Watching it implode is glorious.

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

I do not understand what identity politics means but I think when people intend to act under rational prerogatives emancipation from ideologies in the sense of concepts that define targets without reflecting on their conditions is helpful generally. This is because there is no solid ground for rational prerogatives without a critical understanding of the conditions under which tragets for acts have been defined.
    Last edited by DaniCatBurger; November 14, 2016 at 04:56 AM.
    שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    So, liberals are now:
    -berating blacks because they didn't flock to vote Hillary as they did for Obama (but they don't dare to call them racist yet)
    -berating white women for betraying Hillary (a woman apparently should vote with her vagina or don't vote)

Does anyone still think identity politics is not a hate ideology? Watching it implode is glorious.
    The best part is 50% of employed hispanics voted trump. I wish Karl roves dumb ass would comment on that.
    Dont forget: 95% of blacks vote Obama = not racist
    Large amount of whites vote trump = racist
    Last edited by Iskar; November 14, 2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: personal reference removed

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    The best part is 50% of employed hispanics voted trump. I wish Karl roves dumb ass would comment on that.
    They`re all traitors, uncle toms, self-hating women and evil white men....

And the Regressive Left still can`t get out of that idiotic mentality.
    Last edited by Iskar; November 14, 2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: continuity

Just like many others, you're just attacking a straw man here. Nobody argued that Trump getting a lot of white votes makes it a racist phenomenon.
    Last edited by Iskar; November 14, 2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: continuity
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Just like many others, you're just attacking a straw man here. Nobody argued that Trump getting a lot of white votes makes it a racist phenomenon.
    Oh?
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...n-racism-power

http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/1...on-2016-racism

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...black-43424725

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/9/1...ism-xenophobia

http://www.mediaite.com/online/you-c...rump-election/

http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-n...109-story.html

http://theslot.jezebel.com/all-along-it-was-you-17887589

@Humble warrior , and the worst part is they think more of those idiotic ideas are the answer.
    Last edited by tgoodenow; November 14, 2016 at 07:26 AM.

None of them present the simplistic, yet idiotic, argument you were presenting. So, still no. All those links base their positions on the kind of campaign Trump utilized, not purely on getting more white votes.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    None of them present the simplistic, yet idiotic, argument you were presenting. So, still no. All those links base their positions on the kind of campaign Trump utilized, not purely on getting more white votes.
    "Overwhelmingly, white people voted to preserve whiteness" from one vox article.
    Last edited by Iskar; November 14, 2016 at 07:56 AM. Reason: personal reference removed

regressive left, liberals, dogooders, SJWs, nazis, fascist, crownies, racists, msm, bigots, hypocrits, alt-righter. Using empty word shells to label anyone having a contrary opinion is what has devalued the discourse in the internet and slowly public debate to the point of pointlessness. I would say together with the echo chambers the internet provides this has created the toxic ground for our current western dilemmas. I guess we had the same thing in the early 20th century but I would not have expected that the greatest revolution in information technology would make us fall back to the bad old days.

At this stage whenever I hear such a term I can only conclude "he dislikes that opinion" because the terms are abused beyond any recognizable definition. Would be nice if we reset by stopping to use any of those terms for one's argument. I mean by now it's entirely random who gets called a fascist.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    So, liberals are now:

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post

In the run up to the election I lost track of how many times I've watched or read analysis from the anti-Trump media explaining how all the blacks are going to vote Clinton, all the Hispanics are going to vote Clinton and all the women are going to vote Clinton. Since the election again I've seen umpteen talking heads who are utterly dumbfounded and scrambling to come up with (and failing, I might add) to explain why these groups did not vote en masse for Clinton.

The supreme irony is attributing one's voting inclinations or intentions to such characteristics as ethnic group, skin colour and gender is, I am reliably told by so many better educated and enlightened people than me - racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

But apparently not when CNN, MSNBC, BBC, Sky, NYT, WaPo, The Guardian, etc do it.

As my American friends are fond of saying...

Go figure.

The most curious part that anti-Trump posts don't explain is how/why Trump won in TWC polling aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Brexit, Trump, that makes 2 wakeup calls that their strategy need some serious introspection, but they refuse so far.
    Last edited by fkizz; November 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

"Overwhelmingly, white people voted to preserve whiteness" from one vox article.
    Sigh... You're quoting the wrong article. That's not from Vox, but from the Slot... If you actually read the article you'd realize that what makes them racist is because they picked a racist guy.
    The Armenian Issue

So American universities are turning into a mental asylum for kids that do not want to grow up:

UMichigan organized post election self care with food and play, coloring sheets, play dough, positive card making, Legos and bubbles. (Seriously, how old are they? Five?)
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29922/

Stanford and Michigan (again) offer psychological counselling to deal with the post election trauma:
    https://twitter.com/AndrewNBCNews/st...44892801204234
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/um...rticle/2607025
    UPenn offers coloring books and puppies (again, how old are you?)
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/11/up...ion-safe-space
    Cornell has been mentioned having a cry in:
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29856/
    Yale has a ''group scream''
    http://21stcenturywire.com/2016/11/1...gs-and-poetry/
    Kansas uses therapy dogs:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/1...trump-victory/

And this is the future of America.

Setekh.
    Stop.
    Stop calling everyone racist. Its exactly what makes Trump so popular.

The worst thing I've seen since this election is the total lack of introspection from the left. We need to learn from 2016 and stop repeating the same dumb mistakes. No more safe spaces, deplatforming, calling everyone racist etc.
    It doesn't work, regardless of how legitimate you feel it is. The left needs to regroup, and realize what it is doing wrong. Trump's election is terrible, Brexit is terrible, but they are also signposts; its the revelation of an opportunity for the anti-establishment left to get its act together and become a real political force for the first time in a long time. All we have to do is stop pissing everyone off so much.
    Its not that hard.
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jockmcplop View Post
    Setekh.
    Stop.

The worst thing I've seen since this election is the total lack of introspection from the left. We need to learn from 2016 and stop repeating the same dumb mistakes. No more safe spaces, deplatforming, calling everyone racist etc.

It doesn't work, regardless of how legitimate you feel it is. The left needs to regroup, and realize what it is doing wrong. Trump's election is terrible, Brexit is terrible, but they are also signposts; its the revelation of an opportunity for the anti-establishment left to get its act together and become a real political force for the first time in a long time. All we have to do is stop pissing everyone off so much.

Its not that hard.
    Where did I call everyone racist? Quote me.

It's really not that hard to base a position on facts and not on made up positions like you did here. The Left needs to regroup as well but not for the reasons you name.
    The Armenian Issue

Setekh.
    Stop.

Its not that hard.
    Unfortunately it probably is. Overturning twenty years of social and political culture isn't going to happen overnight.

@Setekh
    In the context of talking about Trump voters you just said "What makes them racist is that they picked a racist guy."
    ie All Trump voters a racist.

Either that or I misunderstand what you mean.

As for the rest of my post, what are these unidentified 'reasons' you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Unfortunately it probably is. Overturning twenty years of social and political culture isn't going to happen overnight.
    You're probably right. It could be done, there are enough organized core groups on the radical left that with a concerted effort, political culture could change pretty quickly.
    Unfortunately, I just don't think the will is there. People are too comfortable in their internet bubbles where everything they say is agreed with 48 times on facebook, reinforcing toxic opinions.
    Compromise is dead, and its for the worst. I've recently come across the opinion that compromise is for the establishment, which is just insane, but many people think this. I don't know if its just wish thinking on the part of people who want their way or nothing.
    Last edited by jockmcplop; November 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
    “My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Setekh.
    Stop.

I will stop calling Trump voters racist when they stop trying to identify me with the safe-space brigade. About 10,000 people in universities around the USA have come to be identified with 100 million liberals by the same people who cry foul when the media treats a KKK march as a typical assembly of Trump voters. The intersectional LGBTQABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP++ society of Cornell university is no more representative of the average Democrat than the Westboro baptist church are of the average Republican, most liberals don't have a clue what a 'safe space' is and have no more patience for these adult children than conservatives do.

We need to be realistic here: hardline liberals are never going to stop pissing off hardline conservatives, that is what these people do. But the moderates, i.e. most of us, should learn to ignore both extremes. I attended a university where the safe space brigade dominated the left wing political societies, the uni newspaper and the 'politics' of the entire student union generally, and I can confirm that the vast vast majority of the student body did not even know who their 'student president' was and certainly didn't care about the frequent dictats from this small cadre of purple-haired pronoun-obsessed Young Pioneers.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Copperknickers things are different in the UK though.
    If this applied in the US, my immediate question would be where were all these moderates when the voting happened?
    Stewart Lee