Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anno Domini

Default Re: Anno Domini

As I said some work regarding tuning the income of the eastern and islamic provinces is needed. They are and were big because there were lesser but huger cities and this should reflect in their size and income. It's still a work to be done not an obscure and evil plan by Spectre!

My Compliments.

Is there any way to increase overall movement points for all world map characters so that they can traverse the vaster distances more easily?

(Moreso to prevent sending a diplomat to other factions from taking 17 +turns )

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Zhivago View Post
    Is there any way to increase overall movement points for all world map characters so that they can traverse the vaster distances more easily?

(Moreso to prevent sending a diplomat to other factions from taking 17 +turns )
    Modify your descr_character.txt in data.

The lines reading 'starting_action_points' correspond to the unit's movement points. Increase or decrease them as you wish (personally, I doubled all of the values, but a map of this size might warrant that they be tripled).

BTW--Anticipating the release of the 'full version'. Should make for a more wholesome campaign.
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; December 17, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Thanks Pnutmaster. Do I need to edit every character, or is there an overall starting movement points for every agent/army etc?

Due to 2 turns/1 Year (0.50 setting, will the build times be doubled? (I find increased build times annoying on 1 turn/1 year, but for the 0.50 setting it might be warranted to increase them slightly, as well as starting cash, due to increased number of settlements, it's even more difficult to get economies on track, as Venice I was -10000 in debt by the 10th turn)

Venice is going to be fixed in this very moment together with resources for all the provinces

Sounds good. Haha, god, I really hope you don't think I'm annoying here, but while you're on Venice:

The land around Venice is only a Province on the tiny island where the city sits, (income goes into the negative very easily, growth is slow) and the land on the little peninsula just east of Venice is under the Province "Comune di Padua", so Padua actually envelopes Venice and has a much larger province, so Venice only has one tile of farming land. It might be better to edit the map so that the Province containing Venice stretches around to the east including that little Peninsula, and Padua snakes around it on the north side.

Income going into negative very fast was due to two factors:

1) a bug which stopped the city being connected to its port (fixed)
    2) it didn't have any city whom commerce with as it was surrounded by rebels (working on finding a suitable solution)

I know people dislike Wiki, but I'll stick this map in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Republik_Venedig.png

Perhaps giving Venice Split as a starting city, and instead of Villach, putting Triest at the top of that little Peninsula, so that Venice has more options to expand around to the east? That may make it easier for Venice to get sea trade, until land trade becomes viable.

(Edit: It would also balance Venice out, since it no longer holds Crete as a starting city from which to expand into the Mediterranean, and the sea trade there)
    Last edited by Yuri Zhivago; December 17, 2006 at 11:34 PM.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

Icon4 Re: Anno Domini

Great map!
    And if you do tweak eastern cities to harvest more income, it'll be perfect.
    Some things though :
    - Jerusalem is missing its harbour spot.
    - Some lanbridges are a bit to much, especially around Italy.
    - For the french provinces, use Duché instead of duchy.
    - It's also d'Anjou, d'Auvergne, d'Aquitaine etc... Not de Anjou.
    - How about Kyrilic for Russian region names? Not settlements as it doesnt really work.
    Again, great work, I'm really waiting for some more!

One solution to the distance between settlements in the east would be to add traits and ancillaries for eastern factions increasing movement points. It would allow you to keep the regions in the east the same, keep you from having to change the way the mod is played in the west, and add a new element to playing eastern factions. I think it would be realistic.

For example having a trait line in traveling. Adapt traveler, and master traveler for starters. Having them as common as command traits, and add a line for agents or have them use the same one. Ancillaries such as Steppe Rider, or Desert Guide. I am by no means suggesting you use those, as they are just examples. I'm sure you could do some research and come up with some that would make more sense.

It would cause a balancing issue when characters with those traits invaded the west though. Maybe having to travel to one of the eastern most settlements to “earn” the ancillaries would decrease the affect it had on the AI using eastern factions in the west, and make players have to do something to get it. I don’t have much experience with modding and have no experience with the traits/ancillaries so I don’t know what the boundaries and limitations are. I’m sure of one thing thought, it would take some thought and thorough play testing to get in balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneda Santôka View Post
    Great map!
    And if you do tweak eastern cities to harvest more income, it'll be perfect.
    Some things though :
    - Jerusalem is missing its harbour spot.
    - Some lanbridges are a bit to much, especially around Italy.
    - For the french provinces, use Duché instead of duchy.
    - It's also d'Anjou, d'Auvergne, d'Aquitaine etc... Not de Anjou.
    - How about Kyrilic for Russian region names? Not settlements as it doesnt really work.
    Again, great work, I'm really waiting for some more!

Thanks for the suggestions and the error finding, my french is not so good. I thought about using cirillic alphabet for eastern lands but it will become unreadable for about the 90% of the players (plus with the risk of giving errors here and around). Most of landbridges are already been removed thanks to the AI being able now to use ships effectively.

About the eastern lands I am sincerely missing what the problem is. Distances between centers of power DID count in the real history, just think at how the Kiev Principatility struggled to keep the other principalities united under its rule (failing btw) and how cavalry armies really had a huge strategical advantage upon infantry based ones.

Beside in the full version mod land armies will have their movement halved (agents and ships will have it increased instead) so prepare to a different warfare style in the steppes. Some people don't want sieges, other don't want mobile armies lol... :hmmm:

There's another one important reminder: the campaign is 4 time faster than Vanilla with 2 turns for year.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; December 18, 2006 at 02:46 AM.

Has anyone had any trouble with speeches/sound effects? I'm about 40 turns into a French campaign and I'm always getting one liners for battle speeches, no matter how many men are on each side. I've also gotten some odd messages messages during sieges("we've lost a siege tower" when my ladders reach the wall, etc.).

Not trying to complain, I'm just wondering if I screwed up something installing, if this might be a messup in the 1.1 patch, or if it's mod related.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Breeze View Post
    One solution to the distance between settlements in the east would be to add traits and ancillaries for eastern factions increasing movement points. It would allow you to keep the regions in the east the same, keep you from having to change the way the mod is played in the west, and add a new element to playing eastern factions. I think it would be realistic.

For example having a trait line in traveling. Adapt traveler, and master traveler for starters. Having them as common as command traits, and add a line for agents or have them use the same one. Ancillaries such as Steppe Rider, or Desert Guide. I am by no means suggesting you use those, as they are just examples. I'm sure you could do some research and come up with some that would make more sense.

It would cause a balancing issue when characters with those traits invaded the west though. Maybe having to travel to one of the eastern most settlements to “earn” the ancillaries would decrease the affect it had on the AI using eastern factions in the west, and make players have to do something to get it. I don’t have much experience with modding and have no experience with the traits/ancillaries so I don’t know what the boundaries and limitations are. I’m sure of one thing thought, it would take some thought and thorough play testing to get in balanced.
    Wondered about this myself. Know next to nothing of modding, but perhaps the movement issue can be balanced by having an army stack use the average speed of all units instead of the lowest speed (if it already isn't so)? Most eastern factions are relatively horse heavy and such a change, if possible, would benefit these the most.

Also having movement rate, again if possible, be affected by the religious/cultural/geographical/climatic/political composition of each area would be both realistic and serve as a balancing tool. Eg. a crusading army in the Middle East would have their movement rate penalized as the populace is hostile (makes logistics more difficult). Army attrition could also be looked into (the more hostile/inhospitable the area - the more men lost to disease/lack of supplies/small scale hostile actions).

I'd also look at the possibility of adding more regions to Afrika, the Middle East and Eastern Europe (and/or reducing some in West Europe). I'd hate for the Turks not to become much of a threat to Europe as they were historically simply because of the map composition.

Such changes would make MTW2 rock, but I'm probably just dreaming though.
    Last edited by sera; December 18, 2006 at 02:49 AM.

I'd like to make things clear. This mod will never been for who love Blitzkrieg style campaign.

Halved movement for land armies with 6 months for turn is fine, and it's still slightly faster than Vanilla that has a smaller maps but 1 turn is 2 years.

It can be boring to see your army move just for a small distance on the strategical map, I know, but sincerely I don't like to see an infantry army coming down from Novgorod to Constantinople or from Paris to Granada in 3-4 turns (2 years). It's unrealistical and it detracts for game balancing as it makes naval supremacy useless.

Can someone post how the map looks like, in-game? :hmmm:
    Behold the continuation of the dream!

I don't take it as complaining anymore, just error reporting

Re: Sound problems above, I've noticed this also. In my Venetian campaign when I toggled fog of war off, I clicked on some Russian armies and they addressed me in English accents (using English voice set) "Do I remind you of one of your own Captains, milord?" So perhaps the larger map and new armies added, has caused some voice sets to get muddled, especially considering the portraits for some factions being mixed up.

Also, on movement points, due to larger size it would be nice to have some more movement points, but only enough to move realistically, considering each turn lasts 6 months, you need to be able to move your army across the map in what it could cover realistically in six months. So a decrease for land armies would definitely be a bad idea, if the decrease is too high. As it stands it took me 3 turns to move an army over land from Venexia to Bononia, that's 1 and a half years in vanilla AD, but I'd changed it so that 1 turn = 1 year, so 3 years to move from Venexia to Bononia, and for my diplomat, it was going to take him more than 20 turns to move from northern Italy to northern Spain, so almost 20 years, or even 10 years with vanilla 0.5 setting.

The best way to work in movement points, might be giving movement penalties and bonuses depending on the map. Moving over snow takes longer, as well as desert, moving across open ground you get a bonus to your movement. It would be extremely difficult to mod this in though, I imagine.

More battles and less sieges would be a good thing, but even now it takes absolutely years to get anywhere. My crusading army was attempting to travel by ship from Ragusa to Antioch and it was going to take over 15 turns, so it's good to hear that boat movement will be increased as well.

Overall the mod has been excellent. I had a brilliant campaign running as England, the larger map and more settlements makes the campaign so much more dynamic. And I also noticed that Scotland became more of a power after taking Northumbria and it's surrounding territories, as well as moving into the north of Ireland. The larger size seems to make each faction a bit stronger as they have more space to expand without coming into immediate conflict with other factions.
    Last edited by Yuri Zhivago; December 18, 2006 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    I'd like to make things clear. This mod will never been for who love Blitzkrieg style campaign.

Halved movement for land armies with 6 months for turn is fine, and it's still slightly faster than Vanilla that has a smaller maps but 1 turn is 2 years.

It can be boring to see your army move just for a small distance on the strategical map, I know, but sincerely I don't like to see an infantry army coming down from Novgorod to Constantinople or from Paris to Granada in 3-4 turns (2 years). It's unrealistical and it detracts for game balancing as it makes naval supremacy useless.

In all honesty I completely understand. I see your reason for this is realism. I just camp help but think how adding traits and ancillaries would add another level of realism to it. I mean it’s not like some eastern generals were not better than others at crossing vast lands. It’s 100% plausible. That IMO justifies the traits. It’s also quite plausible that they employed skilled people to help them do so. By managing logistics and taking short cuts. That IMO justifies ancillaries. I don’t see why you don’t put some research into it. It can only add to your mod and give it a unique feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Breeze View Post
    In all honesty I completely understand. I see your reason for this is realism. I just camp help but think how adding traits and ancillaries would add another level of realism to it. I mean it’s not like some eastern generals were not better than others at crossing vast lands. It’s 100% plausible. That IMO justifies the traits. It’s also quite plausible that they employed skilled people to help them do so. By managing logistics and taking short cuts. That IMO justifies ancillaries. I don’t see why you don’t put some research into it. It can only add to your mod and give it a unique feature.
    Simply because removing ancillaries is a royal pain in the <beep> and if it could have some sense to use it in the steppes it completely destroys the balance once you exit from it.
    One thing I can do is adding more chances to have an explorer guild in the eastern settlements, that guild improves 15% to all the movement in its basic form so it's a good boost.

About taking 1 year and a half to move from Venice to Bologna I barely see as it is different from Vanilla. The map is smaller than twice the original one, the duration of one turn decreases from 2 years to 6 months, so, even halving the land speed, the armies will still be slightly faster than in Vanilla even if visually it could seem quite the contrary. I think it's more a psycological matter of seeing an army move so little for turn, it happened the same to me the first time I played with this modification, but you have to multiply that movement by 4 to confront it to Vanilla.

P.S.: if you cannot really live with it it requires just a little editing of descr_character.txt file to put the value you prefer into
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; December 18, 2006 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Zhivago View Post
    Re: Sound problems above, I've noticed this also. In my Venetian campaign when I toggled fog of war off, I clicked on some Russian armies and they addressed me in English accents (using English voice set) "Do I remind you of one of your own Captains, milord?" So perhaps the larger map and new armies added, has caused some voice sets to get muddled, especially considering the portraits for some factions being mixed up.
    Hmmm... I think it could be related more to the patch (and maybe the unpacked files) than everytheng else as I didn't touch factions themselves.

Portraits aren't divided into factions anyway, but into cultures so venice will have the same portraits than every else southern europe faction.

I'm at work actually so I cannot test anything, I will have a look once at home.