Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Kingdom Unofficial 4.0 version

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: The Last Kingdom Unofficial 4.0 version

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Can't think of a reasonable cause why it would work on one machine and not on the other. Have you tried running a different mod?
    I am assuming you did a simple copy\paste operation when moving the mod's folder?
    Yes, what i did was install 3.6 first and then just copy/paste the mod from my other PC - back then i just played custom battles between the computers which worked just fine. But the campaign crashes when about to enter it, and this was not the case on the other compute when i last played a campaign last year in july. I don't think i have made any changes affecting the campaign since then.

I am going to try and move the mod to my win 7 older computer- as i have two older computers. And see if it works there. If not, i may need to re-work everything onto the unofficial 4.0 version which actually has a working campaign. But that would take some time as i did not only add units but also replaced some who were already in the mod. The norse_swordsmen weren't removed but simply replaced with the Berserkers of WotN. Will be annoying to do all that but if that would work i'd get the changes from the unofficial patch as a bonus.

Yes, other mods work fine and other versions of TLK.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 05, 2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Good news: I solved it, and now i have added the unofficial 4.0 patch onto my submod. It's time to add the saxons and french new troops to the campaign, and after that add the new units of all the factions to the mercenary and regional recruitment-pools. Then it's just balancing the units left to do as i don't want them to be underpowered compared to the old TLK-units.

Tha Magyars will get more troops also. And i might possibly make the Magyars playable. The release isn't too far away.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Looking forward to this Mr_Nygren! It will be very nice too play this while waiting for the new Wrath of The Norsemen mod

Quote Originally Posted by Jolenko View Post
    Looking forward to this Mr_Nygren! It will be very nice too play this while waiting for the new Wrath of The Norsemen mod
    Yeah, this is supposed to be an expansion released in between the WotN-beta and the WotN Grand Campaign. Would be no point releasing this after the Grand Campaign.

- The Havamal

Understandable how many units will your submod include?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolenko View Post
    Understandable how many units will your submod include?
    The 500-limit will be reached.

- The Havamal

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Lets hope when face the Magyars i can see some infantry of them
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    Lets hope when face the Magyars i can see some infantry of them
    They have gotten half of the Avar-roster from EoR to make up for the lack of units. In WotN Grand Campaign they have the whole roster pretty much - but i thought it was a lack of free unit-slots in TLK. Most of the units are of course mounted archers and ordinary melee cavalry. However, they did get two dismounted units - Slav Allies (Slav Infantry with javelins) and one basic unit of spearmen which counts as low-ranking members of their society.

I am happy to say that most is now finished! Remaining to be done is:

1. Balancing the new units. - DONE

2. Adding specific units for the Saxons and Vikings as regional recruitment-troops. - DONE

3. Adding some songs from DBM and the Unofficial 4.0-update. - DONE

4. Replacing my WotN full songs with the ones i did re-edit so that only parts of the songs are used. - DONE!

-
    I have also fixed the songs of Franks and Rus/Slavs - the last are used in Iceland-regions - but only the Viking songs, the slavic and baltic songs were cut.

5. Finish the new music for Gwynedd that i was planning to add last year - i originally planned to give all factions new music but i don't think that is very important anymore. But i had some great ideas for Gwynedd and will give them new epic music! - DONE

6. And lastly, playtesting the game to see if everything works as intended.

I will be done with balancing today and possibly the regional recruitment. Then i will fix the music and playtest the game! Release will possibly come tomorrow or on friday!

Edit: WORK delayed until monday or tuesday - i didn't do anything for three days like i had planned unfortunately..

Doing the balancing today and i am pretty much just finished balancing all the new Viking-rosters. Now it's only a few frankish units and the Northumbrian roster that needs to be balanced properly.

Then i'll finish up the regional recruitment-stuff sunday and hopefully the adding of new music. On monday i playtest everything and possibly upload the mod - may get delayed until tuesday though.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 20, 2017 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Delayed release.

- The Havamal

Hello, need a little help to make TLK work on multiplayer:

Both computers are in LAN, no problems playing vanilla game, but when trying to join a match with the mod, it's in read and it says: "Not Compatible data" as if it were two different versions of the game installed in each machine.

Mod has been delayed because of it needing more time to be finished properly! I have done much more than i said i would in numbers 1 to 5 above - still not finished with everything there though.

What i plan to do now is:

. Fixing the Slav/Rus-music - at least the Viking-tracks of those songs will be used in Icelandic territories and by the Vikings-faction. - DONE

2. Possibly add the remaining tracks that i want from DBM and the Unofficial 4.0 Release - as i haven't done this yet. - DONE

3. Fix some of the faction descriptions, and pictures related to units and factions in the game - pictures and descriptions needs an update! - DONE

4. Adding a Mangonel-unit for the Francs - the Francs used to have very advanced siege engines. - DONE

5. Fixing a silver surfer general for the Francs as well as other minor things - not much left to do but some small stuff. - DONE

6. Possibly add the new Gwynedd-music as well as maybe new music for other factions as well - Alba/Connach/Munster/Saxons especially. - DONE (Every culture done - Saxon factions do share music, and Irish factions do share theirs as well - Alba and Gwynedd got unique!

I must say i am pleased with the ones i have playtested, and that is Saxons and Gwynedd - Gwynedd has great battle-music on par with LotR-factions in my music-mod for DAC.

Possibly replace settlement strat-models and battle-models of Viking-factions, with the Barbarian custom-settlements of DBM - they look almost exactly like Viking longhouses! I think this is needed and they will be added if i can manage to do it. And maybe add some higher civilization custom-settlements for the Francs as well - Paris was a Roman-made city. - Didn't manage to do this, the settlements are still vanilla even after i followed a guide. I put this on hold for the future.

8. Playtesting the game. - Gonna do this now!

A full changelog will be available in the new thread found in the sub-mod forums where i will soon create it. Look here for edits about when i am done with the steps above though. I may start a thread on my mod at any time.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 20, 2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Updates.

- The Havamal

Can anyone tell me the title/artist for this song from the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_1Ql73z0M

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi Guys,
    I’m probably going to play the TLK 4.0. I’ve run 3 test games on VH: one without any change, in the second I’ve lowered the amount of money given to the AI due to difficulty level: for normal all was divided by 2, for hard by 4, for very hard by 5; plus lowered it a bit more for the Franks, and I've also lowered the effectiveness of the merchants (eg. a 6-finance would provide 200 coins instead of the base 2000 - and the AI uses many merchants indeed). In th the third I've removed all the vh bonuses altogether.
    You may see the effect in the pic.

A few observations (I compare with the mods I’ve played: SS, SSHIP, WotN, EBII and others):
    § Diplomacy: the relations with AI tend to improve over time (ie they seem to be normalized towards good), but still something may prevent AI from concluding peace. Furthermore, even if the AI starts the wars, it’s not very aggressive.
    § CAI: has obvious problems with the naval movement: the Franks expanded to Scandinavia, not across the Channel. (Normans seem to expand to Wessex, but it might be due to a scripted invasion). The armies have their problems to stay focused on attacking: they come, do nothing, they may siege, but they relieve the sieges etc. (my settlement was besieged several times by the Vikings and any assault followed, but Northumbria has taken one my settlement). I’ve seen three full-stacks of Magyars around Koeln doing nothing, and a similar number of Franks sitting just next to them. Nevertheless, the Franks were able to create a huge empire – so they must have attacked many times.
    I've also spotted cases when there're dozens of separate one-unit stacks (esp. Wesex)
    § Population: I can see population boom in AI factions in all games. It’s perhaps because of the bonuses and initial situation. I haven't delved into the Franks' situation though, and the Anglo-saxon towns seemed to grow reasonably. I've also noticed that upgrading the cities is difficult for the player with just 0,5% for any fertility and marginal use of the generals, and also with very balanced thresholds (even if all the buildings are there, the growth is 0,5 or 0 – so you’ve got to struggle).
    § Economy: building up you settlements provides little additional income thus you may neglect building up those building providing trade, I suppose. The most important thing is to upgrade your settlements to get more pools of soldiers. It seems the economy is a part of the game to neglect.
    § Public order: it’s easy to keep order, and the AI finds it even more easy – thus enabling creation these of large empires. The situation I know from the SSHIP – rebellions breaking up factions, general deserting – don’t happen I suppose. Nevertheless, the AI doesn't expand much (but the Franks) so it's not visible in the results in the chart.
    § Buildings: obviously, the number and variety of the buildings is perhaps the brightest side of the mod. There’s plenty to build with benefits not necessarily balanced. As I’ve mentioned, I suspect the AI population boom is due to many +growth bonuses. So there’s plenty possibilities to tweak the buildings to provide for balance.
    § Scripts: work as intended (probably), with the Viking invasion being very frequent and the Viking faction able to create an empire, but not stable (there’s another part related to rebellions – I wonder if not to replicate it for the Wends to make a backstop for the Franks).
    § Traits and ancillaries: they’re mainly battle-related. The effects are quite unbalanced (eg. number of hitpoints make some generals god-like) and provide for role-playing only for battles (and I like something different).

All in all, it looks like a very good mod with plenty of opportunities to tweak it to provide a balanced gameplay.

I wonder if somebody else has played this version and can provide also some more insights (besides Mr_Nygren who we know plays it with his tweaks, of which the new factions may be quite useful for the gameplay (esp. the other Franks) :-)

Cheers
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 21, 2018 at 06:48 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Why did you reduce the amount of money the AI gets at the higher difficulty levels? Won't that make things easier for the player?

There are some problems with the AI's behaviour, yes.

The Normans need some help, with the changes I've made they can't even take Paris or Calais. The East Franks have to be toned down - I was thinking of reducing their King's Purse and also of some mass spawns of rebel armies to show nobles trying to take the crown or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12