Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seleucid Empire Strategy

Biarchus

Default Re: Seleucid Empire Strategy

I'm just happy the capital will be protected. It's immersion killing for Pergamon to not protect Pergamon or Rome to not protect Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Even better! Once would be too little, every single attack too much.
    I guess the player won't have it, since we actually protect our stuff?
    Only for the AI, not for the player. Also only when the original/founding faction is in possession of it.

Sounds fun. Start with a 12 turn cooldown, see if faster/slower works better.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Turning Pergamon into Moria sorta screws up any KH campaign too, as they can no longer reform their government, being unable to take that third polis.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Turning Pergamon into Moria sorta screws up any KH campaign too, as they can no longer reform their government, being unable to take that third polis.
    It's not "turning Pergamon into Moria", it's making sure every faction's capitals can't be taken straight away with an easy siege, because the CAI has stripped the garrison rather than defend it properly.

And KH is more than capable of upgrading one of the many, easily-available polis_two buildings all over Greece in order to meet the first hurdle. Or they can take Korinthos. That's a nonsense objection.

Is it gonna be a repeat script? Does it spawn a new stack every single time you siege the city?

He said that there will be a cooldown timer. So, not every attack. You could have found out in the previous page

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Um...Yeah that really doesn't screw up any KH campaign at all. I triggered their reforms long before even touching any of asia minor. There are tons of other options. Thermon and Korinthos can easily suffice. Or just waiting to upgrade sparta/rhodes too...

It screws up the kind of blitz I do early on, that allows me to turtle afterwards until Romans and Ptolemies grow up to become a challenge.

Excellent! You should do it for every settlement (Or make it optionnal at the beginning of the game.)
    Because the game is too easy at the moment, at least with average to strong factions.

That's not a bad thing IMO

Quote Originally Posted by hitdark View Post
    Excellent! You should do it for every settlement (Or make it optionnal at the beginning of the game.)
    Because the game is too easy at the moment, at least with average to strong factions.
    No, one of the things categorically rejected was doing it for every settlement. That turns the entire game into a siegefest-grind, not to mention completely breaking any meaningful link between economy and recruitment for the AI, since they'd be continually receiving new units from failed siege attempts. The only reason the team agreed to this was that it would be a deliberately limited implementation, and not filling the settlement with a full stack of elites, as some garrison scripts do.

What about the nomadic factions? I dread fighting stacks of Horse Archers/Javelin Cavalry or are they excluded just because they can horde?
    Last edited by Tactics Mayers; September 01, 2016 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    What about the nomadic factions? I dread fighting stacks of Horse Archers/Javelin Cavalry or are they excluded just because they can horde?
    Every factional capital, nomadic or otherwise, gets up to 10 additional units on being besieged. Given the AI's propensity to remove all units, they'll form the bulk of the garrison.

Biarchus

I just started a AS campaign on M/M. What difficulty level is the OP playing on? It's surprisingly easy even with negative income. I pushed Ptolemy out of Anatolia and Syria and only lost 1 province to rebellion.

I deliberately took no action on my economy to be more challenging. I went 40 turns in the red before I could balance the budget and dig myself out of the red hole. Still wasn't much of an issue. Use your cavalry and elephants in battle. Drops upkeep. Adding 3 cities in Anatolia and 1 in Syria. Adds income. Lose some sailors in a naval battle. Before you know it, the economy has fixed itself.

Maybe this is significantly harder on H/H.

Start is indeed bit tricky, but i got out of financial issues at turn 24 already. Used elephants in dealing with Ptolemaios Turkey cities, then Salamis and then to Egypt at which point i dismissed em to to get out of financial pit. Also dealt with Pergamon early on, but Hanabati managed to sneak attack and grab Damascos from me, currently just recaptured that and mopping them up. I guess this is where challenge will mostly end as can afford to start building my units, rather than desperately fighting with what i got without any reinforcements as its been up until now. Playing on VH/VH. I also moved my capital to Antiocheia to get bit more profits out of my new turkish and egyptian cities.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Ziltoid; September 03, 2016 at 11:46 PM.

Try selecting a central capital to maximize profits. For eg. at game start, the AS AI oft chooses Sousa as it's new capital for the increased public order and income that will provide. Sousa, Seleukeia and especially Arbela are very good capitals in that area, yielding lots of profits. If you wanna know how much more money a certain capital brings in, just bring up the financial screen and the building browser together--then select new capital to see the difference in minai. Just choosing a new capital is sometimes enough to get you out of debt, for some factions after their initial conquests.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123