Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [INFO & ANNOUNCEMENT] WotN: Grand Campaign

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default [INFO & ANNOUNCEMENT] WotN: Grand Campaign

Today, I am excited to officially announce the future of Wrath of the Norsemen!

WotN has been developed by countless people over numerous years, and all that hard work has finally culminated into a large European campaign, rather than simply focusing on a smaller area.

Now we will reveal all the information you could need.

START DATE:
    876 - 1050 AD
    The start date has been moved forward, to further represent the height of the Viking age, giving you control over some of the most famous rulers of the time. (For example, the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok, and Alfred the Great)

THE MAP:

This is the expanse that the map covers...
    To the south, it goes as far as Venice...
    To the north, as far as the tip of Scandinavia...
    To the west, as far as Greenland...
    And to the east, as far as the White Sea...

FACTIONS:

Viking Culture
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Danmörk
    The Danish kingdom, in control of most of Denmark, under the leadership of Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, son of Ragnar Lodbrok

Gautlandi
    The Geats, of whom Beowulf was said to belong. Under control of a large portion of southern Sweden, lead by the legendary Gautrekr of many sagas.

Norðvegr
    The rapidly expanding Norse kingdom, under rule of Harald Fairhair, the soon to be king of Norway.

Rygjalandi
    The Norse kingdom in Rogaland, struggling to survive against the onslaught of the new kingdom of Norway. Under leadership of Sulke.

Danelagen
    The great heathen army, which invaded England, is now under control of a good third of the country, lead by Guthrum.

Sweþiuð
    The great Swedish kingdom, dominating eastern Scandinavia, under rule of Björn Ironside, son of Ragnar Lodbrok.

Gall-Ghàidheil
    The Norse invaders of Ireland, and the Scottish islands. Intermingled with the native Gaels, they dominate the Irish sea, under leadership of Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Lodbrok.

Norðmaðr
    The recent invaders of Normandy, lead by the famous Rollo, seeking to establish a kingdom in the land of the Franks.

Baltic/Finnish Culture

Kursi
    The Curonians, almost like the Baltic version of Vikings, they raided throughout the Baltic Sea, even raiding the Vikings themselves.

Prusi
    Known today as the Old Prussians, a staunchly Pagan Baltic tribe.

Häme
    The Tavastians, located in the centre of Finland, perfect for expansion.

Kvänland
    The Kvens, a hardy people from a hard land. Far in the north of Scandinavia, they are known as brilliant seafarers.

Slavic Culture

Garðariki
    The Rus', Varagians, fathers of Russia, they began as Viking invaders, who formed a great nation, mixing with the native Slavic population, led by the legendary Rurik.

Tivertsi
    Eastern Slavs, populating what is now western Ukraine, they are fighting for survival against many great foes, including the Rus'.

Polanie
    The Slavic tribe that would form the kingdom of Poland, their leader Siemowit, is noted as the first monarch of the Piast dynasty.

Velká Morava
    The Great Moravian Empire dominates eastern Europe, and under the rule of it's current lead Svatopluk the Great, they would expand to their full potential.

Celtic Culture

Alba
    A fairly recent unification of the Picts, and Dal Riata, Scotland faces a bright future under leadership of Causantin, they need only drive the Norse out.

Mhumhain
    Munster, one of the larger Irish kingdoms, led by Dúnchad, and located in the south west, has lately had to deal with numerous Viking raids in Ireland.

Guynet
    Gwynedd, is without doubt, the most successful Welsh kingdom of it's time, led by Rhodri the Great, perhaps it's time for them to reclaim Lloegr.

Germanic Culture

Westseaxna
    Under leadership of Alfred the Great, Wessex seeks to reclaim England from the Norse, something they were very successful at, eventually creating a unified England.

Norþhymbra
    Having recently rebelled against their Viking overlords, Northumbria seeks to rebuild itself under the leadership of Ecgberht II.

West Francia
    The western division of the Frankish Empire, led by Charles the Bald. This kingdom would become known as France in time.

East Francia
    The eastern part of the empire, under rule of Carlomann, would eventually become the Holy Roman Empire.

Byzantine Culture

Imperium Romanum
    The Byzantines, a remnant of the Roman Empire, were very fond of their Varagian mercenaries. Byzantium controls holdings in Venice and Crimea on the map.

PROGRESS:
    Map: 90%
    Rosters: 80%
    Coding: 70%
    Research: 90%
    Other: 80%

A special thanks to The Last Kingdom, Baltic: Total War, and all the other mods, and members of WotN who have made this possible.

Wrath of the Norsemen: Grand Campaign WIP Plans!

The first part out of two explaining the future plans of WotN: Grand Campaign. Mod crashed when clicking the symbols and i couldn't add the file to the Movie Maker program cause of it getting corrupted. Therefore i had no choice but to upload two parts instead of one combined part.

The second and longer part of the WotN: Grand Campaign WIP Info videos. I will go through the plans i have for this project and what remains to be done before the first release as far as i am conserned.

WANT TO HELP?
    There is always work to be done! If you are willing to get your hands dirty, then get in contact with a member of WotN!
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 28, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Wrath of the Norsemen: 2016 New Release [INFO & ANNOUNCEMENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post

Today, I am excited to officially announce the future of Wrath of the Norsemen!

WotN has been developed by countless people over numerous years, and all that hard work has finally culminated into a large European campaign, rather than simply focusing on a smaller area.

Now we will reveal all the information you could need.

START DATE:
    876 - 1050 AD
    The start date has been moved forward, to further represent the height of the Viking age, giving you control over some of the most famous rulers of the time. (For example, the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok, and Alfred the Great)

THE MAP:

This is the expanse that the map covers...
    To the south, it goes as far as Venice...
    To the north, as far as the tip of Scandinavia...
    To the west, as far as Greenland...
    And to the east, as far as the White Sea...

FACTIONS:

Viking Culture

Danmörk
    The Danish kingdom, in control of most of Denmark, under the leadership of Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, son of Ragnar Lodbrok

Gautlandi
    The Geats, of whom Beowulf was said to belong. Under control of a large portion of southern Sweden, lead by the legendary Gautrekr of many sagas.

Norðvegr
    The rapidly expanding Norse kingdom, under rule of Harald Fairhair, the soon to be king of Norway.

Rygjalandi
    The Norse kingdom in Rogaland, struggling to survive against the onslaught of the new kingdom of Norway. Under leadership of Sulke.

Danelagen
    The great heathen army, which invaded England, is now under control of a good third of the country, lead by Guthrum.

Sweþiuð
    The great Swedish kingdom, dominating eastern Scandinavia, under rule of Björn Ironside, son of Ragnar Lodbrok.

Gall-Ghàidheil
    The Norse invaders of Ireland, and the Scottish islands. Intermingled with the native Gaels, they dominate the Irish sea, under leadership of Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Lodbrok.

Norðmaðr
    The recent invaders of Normandy, lead by the famous Rollo, seeking to establish a kingdom in the land of the Franks.

Baltic/Finnish Culture

Kursi
    The Curonians, almost like the Baltic version of Vikings, they raided throughout the Baltic Sea, even raiding the Vikings themselves.

Prusi
    Known today as the Old Prussians, a staunchly Pagan Baltic tribe.

Häme
    The Tavastians, located in the centre of Finland, perfect for expansion.

Kvänland
    The Kvens, a hardy people from a hard land. Far in the north of Scandinavia, they are known as brilliant seafarers.

Slavic Culture

Garðariki
    The Rus', Varagians, fathers of Russia, they began as Viking invaders, who formed a great nation, mixing with the native Slavic population, led by the legendary Rurik.

Tivertsi
    Eastern Slavs, populating what is now western Ukraine, they are fighting for survival against many great foes, including the Rus'.

Polanie
    The Slavic tribe that would form the kingdom of Poland, their leader Siemowit, is noted as the first monarch of the Piast dynasty.

Velká Morava
    The Great Moravian Empire dominates eastern Europe, and under the rule of it's current lead Svatopluk the Great, they would expand to their full potential.

Celtic Culture

Alba
    A fairly recent unification of the Picts, and Dal Riata, Scotland faces a bright future under leadership of Causantin, they need only drive the Norse out.

Mhumhain
    Munster, one of the larger Irish kingdoms, led by Dúnchad, and located in the south west, has lately had to deal with numerous Viking raids in Ireland.

Guynet
    Gwynedd, is without doubt, the most successful Welsh kingdom of it's time, led by Rhodri the Great, perhaps it's time for them to reclaim Lloegr.

Germanic Culture

Westseaxna
    Under leadership of Alfred the Great, Wessex seeks to reclaim England from the Norse, something they were very successful at, eventually creating a unified England.

Norþhymbra
    Having recently rebelled against their Viking overlords, Northumbria seeks to rebuild itself under the leadership of Ecgberht II.

West Francia
    The western division of the Frankish Empire, led by Charles the Bald. This kingdom would become known as France in time.

East Francia
    The eastern part of the empire, under rule of Carlomann, would eventually become the Holy Roman Empire.

Byzantine Culture

Imperium Romanum
    The Byzantines, a remnant of the Roman Empire, were very fond of their Varagian mercenaries. Byzantium controls holdings in Venice and Crimea on the map.

PROGRESS:
    Map: 90%
    Rosters: 80%
    Coding: 70%
    Research: 90%
    Other: 80%

A special thanks to The Last Kingdom, Baltic: Total War, and all the other mods, and members of WotN who have made this possible.

WANT TO HELP?
    There is always work to be done! If you are willing to get your hands dirty, then get in contact with a member of WotN!
    This is also based on the version me and Juzy90 had been improving, as i sent that version to Horsa two weeks ago or so- by then he had already created the map and just needed to implement it. For the last couple of weeks he has added the new faction entries into the game so that everything is ready.

I am going to do the implementation of the new rosters- most taken from "The Last Kingdom"-mod, as Horsa had access to an old sharing agreement with Danova, creator of TLK =). We have also gotten access to the CBUR-Romans - but if anyone from the EoR (East of Rome)-team would give permission, then we'll gladly use strat-map models for Slavs and Romans from that mod. I even think some of the battlemap-units for East Slavs and Romans would fit greatly within WotN's Style.

It's like six or so faction rosters i'll need to implement in only three weeks, and i want to be done in two at the most so i can finish some other stuff before the summers end. But i am soon to start implementing these rosters from TLK and the CBUR-Romans, as soon as i get my hands on the recently updated version that Horsa has been working on. It was uploaded many hours ago now - so if Horsa has the link, i am ready to begin downloading =).

A new vanilla-version of the beta (the same version that i sent to Horsa to work on) will be uploaded very soon as a "new-vanilla"-download. It will have all the files compatible with my music additions for all those people already playing with that version since earlier (between january 30 and may 8 alot of people did get their hands on that earlier version with the music). I suggest everyone who wanna play with the music of those who already have it to actually back up their sounds folder, and place in a safe place- then removing the old WotN-folder and extract the new vanilla-one. It will use the old Medieval 2 music- but if you have access to the old sound folder you can easily switch back by adding that folder to the new version.

For people not having access to the music-files- i will need to follow in GoT:s footsteps, and therefore i need to replace the new names of the songs inside of the text-files from Gautland_battle etc into their original names. That would then make it possible for anyone who buys or downloads the songs themselves to actually just add them into the right folder and woila, you'll have the epic music!

Regarding folksongs not belonging to a specific company or artist, i don't know what to do with those, but they were very few to begin with- they were added in as an extra candy for more of a historical feeling. And the music i did use from the TLK music-submod may actually be left untouched, as i did only use what another already uploaded and provided. That means it's him that's providing music. I don't provide music files- i provide the mods containing some of the music in-game, but it won't be heard whenever one wants and plays randomly - often ending before the whole song is played. I think that if another user ups music-submods they can be left inside. But i think i'll provide a clean vanilla-download and then after that, -one with some music from the TLK-submod and folksongs blended with vanilla in it -for the Vikings music i'll only provide the files to make those songs compatible when you buy or download them yourselves.

As Horsa had and has an old agreement with Danova, the creator of The Last Kingdom-mod, to use TLK assets- i'll also add some new stuff before uploading the new vanilla-beta version. As the real version of this mod is coming closer to a finished state and a release- the new beta will just be a temporary new download until the bigger mod is finished.

Edit: When i am done with implementing all the rosters and pictures, i'll then send this improved mod to Horsa- he'll then need to balance the units and do some work in the files concerning the campaign. Then he'll release the big version of WotN- and the first non-beta. I can help with descr_strat and such- but won't have much time after implementing the unit rosters.

Horsa: You forgot to include Gutland (Gotland Vikings), as they should also be in according to your post in the dev-forums. And they are cool, because they are such an underdog .
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; August 07, 2016 at 11:20 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

News: We have gotten permission from Darios to use content from their old mod-beta, released in 2014- Slavs and Romans might get content from there .
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; August 08, 2016 at 12:25 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Hell yeah! This is like a dream come true! For so many years I wanted to play a complete dark age mod including Europe.. and now it is happening, I wish you all luck with the release!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolenko View Post
    Hell yeah! This is like a dream come true! For so many years I wanted to play a complete dark age mod including Europe.. and now it is happening, I wish you all luck with the release!
    Yes, remember our conversation from april? My submod for TLK is also just waiting for some fixes in another submod arriving soon- then after they are implemented i release my work that i did for a couple of weeks. It's the same thing as in this mod but with only the TLK-map and nothing added map-wise.

But let's just say the Wrath of the Norsemen arrives in TLK. Units from WotN have been added to Saxons, Franks and Vikings/Danes/Norse. I only need to balance the Saxons and Franks, and add the fixes from the soon to come-mod. If it isn't released soon i will need to look them up and fix them manually. They aren't gamekillers though. But the Magyars are crashing the game when they spawn if one fights a realtimebattle. I was also going to add new units to one of the Irish factions, as well as one of the celtic (Alba/Gwynedd) but i don't have time.

I am also working on this and GoT 3.0. Then i have two other mods on hiatus because one is about music (which could be troublesome when releasing), and one is about Warhammer- but i don't have permission to release it currently. At least not from one of two parties, as they have disappeared.

But maybe i could improve on the TLK-submod after it's been released. One can still play 500+ turns as of now without any trouble, as long as one won't attack the Magyars in rtb. The Saxons and Franks need to have new units implemented into the campaign though.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; August 08, 2016 at 12:25 PM.

- The Havamal

Helltroy's Avatar Civis

This is just ing Amazing.
    I wish there was some way I could help out, but sadly I am ignorant to the work you Incredible folks do.
    I'm just like a kid in a candy store with all the amazing content on this site.

+Rep for Horsa, and Mr_Nygren.
    Anybody else involved be sure to speak up so I can +Rep all of you magnificent Bastards!

The Fact that Mr_Nygren has also put to rest my doubts that GOT 3.0 Is still alive Is just the best icing this Glorious cake could have.

I love TWCenter.
    “Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to
    fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.”
    ~Adolf Hitler

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

Well this is fantastic!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Looks like I am going to have to re-install M2TW! Looks great

Awesome news, one of my favorite Med2 mods for sure, glad to see some new juice over here.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Well done, looking forward for this one.

Cheers

Wow... Finaly Dark age total war mod for medieval 2.

what is TLK?

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Thank you to everyone for the interest!

Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    what is TLK?
    The Last Kingdom, a mod for M2TW Kingdoms.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...e-Last-Kingdom

crosscheck86's Avatar Civis

Can't Wait for the release!!! Sounds Amazing!

I imagine once TGC is out you would likely have access to their finished units. The Rus, Romans, Moravia, Franks, even pechnegs and magyars!

the Franks are already in the Baltic release, at least the Carolingian part of the roster. in am not sure if i included the Ottonian reform units. it is a slightly earlier version that will be in TGC.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Well that's good! Though seeing the rest in eventually would be wonderful!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Amazing, looking forward for this. It is something I had been dreaming about for ages and already gave up all hopes. Wish you best luck

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    the Franks are already in the Baltic release, at least the Carolingian part of the roster. in am not sure if i included the Ottonian reform units. it is a slightly earlier version that will be in TGC.
    Yes, it's only the Carolingian part- as the roster is very thin and they only have alot of horses/cavalry-units. They are in need of more units to stand a chance against the >Magyars and Romans- but in the meantime while waiting for TGC-rosters to be released they will get the TLK-rosters for the East Franks as backup.

The elites will differ between the Western and Estern parts of Francia. But i'll guess that when TGC is released we'll replace the Moravians, the Rus, the Magyars, the Romans and anyone else included in that mod. But the Francs will mostly get their TLK-part replaced by the second part of your roster.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; August 18, 2016 at 02:56 PM.

- The Havamal

yes there should be only the Exploratores(javelin/axe), Scutarii Minores(spear/shield),Sagittarii Minores(archers) and Milites Descensi(sword/heavy infantry/dismounted knights).
    in 876, upon the death of Louis the German, the Franks were mainly occupied with beating each others up. their military had probably not evolved much since Charles the Great.
    the army were hardly professional and mainly relied on the size of its recruitment area and cavalry.
    it was this tradition for cavalry tactics that were fully embraced by by the decendants of Rollo and his Norse band, the Normans.

it was more or less this army composition that beat the Magyars at Lechfeld, where Otto the Great were proclaimed Emperor by the army on the battlefield. it was this great success and possibly closer political ties to Italy that helped Otto shape things up and eventually birth the HRE.
    as of 876 the Franks are still being toyed with by Viking raiders.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast