• West Brom

0 0%
  • West Ham

0 0%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: English Premier League 2016/17

Default Re: English Premier League 2016/17

I didnt mean it that way.
    I mean he is a very normal coach. Nothing extraordinary imo.

Being champion with Barca in la liga and with bayern in Bundesliga its one thing. to realy form a winning team from the ground up, in a premier league, however... it is another.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    To Fellainis credit he is incredibly good at providing aerial dominance in the midfield. He is an excellent target for long passes in the offense and preventing the opposition from doing the same which he proved from time to time under Luis van Gaal. Unfortunately I got a hard time seeing a major club finding those skills valuable other than in very special circumstances. In my Fifa13 team he is awesome for providing aerial dominance in the midfield but in that game the goalkeepers are very keen to make long passes into the middle and it probably gives him to much credit in regards to passing skills and positional awareness.

It seem to be a recurring problem for players making big money moves while playing alongside Jose Fonte.
    yea this isn't fifa13...

He isn't even good at what you say. He is just a fouling machine. He did do alright a few times under LVG, granted, but that's a very poor return on the number of times he has cost us points. This season in particular we barely won a game with him being played. Our first few games we looked like the United of old when he was sat on the bench. Then he got brought in for games for some inexplicable reason and we looked terrible. I was wondering why everyone were bashing Rooney so much when it was so obviously Fellaini that was a far more pressing concern in our sideways, slow, lethargic play.

Mourinho mugged off Schwienstiger for unknown reasons. He wouldn't play Carrick. He has ignored Schniederlin.. thats just 3 players that should of been put in front of Fellaini. 3 players that could of done all of the things, and have done all of the things, that fellaini is used for, but better.

Says a lot that he was booed when going out for a warm up and then when being subbed on at 90mins the other day. I've *never* seen us boo our own player

They get to see in which order Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea get the first six positions and European qualifications.
    last year: Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, City - under 20 points between the top 7
    14/15: Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United - 27 points between 1st and 7th
    13/14: City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal - 7 points between top 4, 17 points between top 6
    12/13: United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal - 17 points between top 5, 26 between top 6..

In those orders.

so in the last 4 years uve got 7 different teams in the top 4. 6 different teams in the top 2.

5th/6th:
    last year: United, Southampton
    14/15: Spurs, Liverpool
    13/14: Everton, Spurs
    12/13: Spurs, Everton

So there's another 2 teams in there.

so thats 9 teams in the first 6 over the last few seasons.

La Liga top 4:

last year: Barca, R.Madrid, A. Madrid, Villareal - top 3 almost 30 points clear of 4th (Barca were 31 points clear of 4th)
    14/15: Same as above except with Valencia instead of Villareal. - top 2 14 points clear of 3rd. Barca 34 points clear of 6th.
    13/14: A.Madrid, Barcelona, R. Madrid, A. Bilbao. - A Madrid 27 points clear of 4th.
    12/13: Same as the first 2 except with Real Sociedad in 4th. - Barca 34 points clear of 4th.

and we really could just go on for like a decade seeing it as just Barca/R. Madrid sometimes switching places in the top 2. The only time that was different was when i think Villareal took second in like .. 2007? or 8 (and the 13/14 season obviously)

5th 6th:

last year: A Bilbao, Celta Vigo
    14/15: Sevilla, Villareal
    13/14: Same as above
    12/13: Valencia, Malaga

So we could claim there's a similar amount of teams in the top 6 of the top 2 leagues in europe. but the top 4 and hell, the top 2 a decade of the same 2 teams... there is a huge gulf in class in La Liga. like.. its silly. But if it's mid table wars you want it's alright i guess. Though i could go into the stats there and show you how different the mid table of the PL is as well..
    Last edited by Carach; December 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Hey, Carach, I'm not telling you what I like, because I'd rather watch Championship games (third- and fourth-level promotion playoffs at Wembley are fun on Youtube) rather than the Spanish or German leagues (my opinion for each is ‘a mind-numbing bore’).
    I'm telling you what ‘the public’ likes, at least in the minds of those idiots in marketing departments think, and in terms of what we get in TV feeds.
    Unfortunately, Everton and Leicester happened once each and do not much register with audiences. They simply don't sell T-shirts and shorts the same way that the others do. England is the six clubs I mentioned plus Everton once, the same six clubs plus Leicester once.
    English football gets £160 million for each of the newly promoted clubs, apparently. I wonder where they get it from, as they are nowhere near as attractive as when they got far in the Champions League every year (up to 2009, with the dreadful Chelsea making an appearance in 2012). The ‘fashionable’ clubs to watch are elsewhere, in those countries you decry as one-sided. There are a lot of fans who want to see how long the record can get. Remember Olympiakós doing a 24-5-1 season? Let the Portuguese smash that with a 27-3-0. They're just there to see who plays the best, just as the All Blacks have fans.

btw Villareal did a 77-point campaign (24-5-9) back in 2007–08, the year in which Barcelona ‘only’ got third place and 67 points and they replaced Rijkaard with Guardiola. Then we know what happened.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Speaking about Rijkaard , what happened to him? He was a hell of a player and manager. He is certainly over-qualified to be a player development advisor in Montverde Academy.

I don't know. I thought that kicking him off might have been a bit of an overreaction back then (he got to the CL semifinals, lost to a freak goal by Paul Scholes and at least qualified for the playoffs for the following year's edition with his third place) but Guardiola's success made it look as if nothing had happened.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

welp, that was extremely interesting last couple of minutes in Everton-Liverpool derby. I kinda feel sorry for Everton- losing like this is not fun
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

I don't feel bad for them at all, then again I am a LFC fan. Barkley should've been sent off with a crappy tackle like that, could have seriously injured Henderson. Up the Reds!

Hazard performance today was outstanding , he was dancing on the pitch!

Giroud, goal of the season.

Knight_Of_Ne's Avatar Miles

It was certainly something special.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

A'yup, fantastic goal.....

And now Totteringham move on to challenge for the title while le Arse and 'pool drop some points. Leicester's season is what it should have been last year.
    СИНДИКАТ!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ranieri sacked... Pretty shocking decision from the board, even given their form in the league.

The players should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Ranieri sacked... Pretty shocking decision from the board, even given their form in the league.

The players should be ashamed of themselves.
    It doesn't even matter that much. Last season is still going down in history as a legend of sports. He can sleep well at night.

Oh, it does matter. I wonder who can get them out of the pit now. They're not a club managers would queue for, unlike, say, a post-Ferguson Manchester United.
    СИНДИКАТ!

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I think the new restrictions against grappling in the penalty area and the loss of Kante broke the entire defensive structure of Leicester. He was the shield that protected them during transition phases and with the new restrictions the deep defense employed by Leicester last year isn't viable anymore. Last year Ranieri managed to turn the team into a well oiled machine that played to the strengths of a number of players who had exceptional strengths but lacked the versatility of normal top club players. This year he lacked the means to do the same and it is in my opinion sad but necessary to see him go out like this.

Champions League always takes a toll on first timers. Now that they are out, they'll have more energy for the league so they might improve regardless of the change of manager.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

They aren't out yet, I'd say it's improbable that they get through but a 1-0 victory would see them through to the next round.

Right, my bad.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wenger has lost the plot