Page 32 of 202 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782132 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 4035

Thread: Divide and Conquer - The Original Thread

  1. #621

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    Which is why Dwarves all have access to mercenary cavalry. Playing as KD Vale Outrider mercs are pretty essential for putting the brakes on annoying skirmishing goblins.
    Yes, as a workaround. However sense wise, would dwarf rely purely on mercenaries? I think not. Of all Middle Earth races, they are probably the most independent and single minded one. I am certain they would come up with their own way of being mobile on the battlefield.

    It can be many things, maybe even chariot which uses boars. (Hell that would be cool, besides Dwarf's main source of meat is Boar/Pig, i am certain they could hand pick stronger species to use for military purpose), but im shifting away from the topic now. Point is, they do have travelers that travel all around. Now that Balin has reconquered KD, why wouldn't those travelers flock back and use their mounts to help the common cause. Can be quite a unique in all aspects Dwarf unit for KD, which would be very weak in melee combat (no dwarf knights!) and have a very long recruitment time. But still even possibility of having such a unit, would in my opinion enhance the gameplay aspect of Dwarf faction. I am not a massive Lore expert, however returning to the movies, they did rise horses (or ponies, w/e it was).
    Last edited by c.ryo; August 10, 2016 at 05:31 AM.

  2. #622

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Yes, as a workaround. However sense wise, would dwarf rely purely on mercenaries? I think not. Of all Middle Earth races, they are probably the most independent and single minded one. I am certain they would come up with their own way of being mobile on the battlefield.

    It can be many things, maybe even chariot which uses boars. (Hell that would be cool, besides Dwarf's main source of meat is Boar/Pig, i am certain they could hand pick stronger species to use for military purpose), but im shifting away from the topic now. Point is, they do have travelers that travel all around. Now that Balin has reconquered KD, why wouldn't those travelers flock back and use their mounts to help the common cause. Can be quite a unique in all aspects Dwarf unit for KD, which would be very weak in melee combat (no dwarf knights!) and have a very long recruitment time. But still even possibility of having such a unit, would in my opinion enhance the gameplay aspect of Dwarf faction. I am not a massive Lore expert, however returning to the movies, they did rise horses (or ponies, w/e it was).
    I think the principle behind Dwarves lacking their own cavalry is twofold.

    First, and most importantly, in the lore Dwarves do not ride. Horses, ponies, whatever. They won't ride unless they have absolutely no choice, and even then they won't do it well or with any enjoyment. This is specified by Tolkien himself, somewhere. In the Hobbit, I believe.

    Secondly, faction diversity. Some factions specialise in cavalry, others in archers, other still in vast hordes of infantry, and yet others in mobile skirmishers and ambush troops. Some factions are fairly strong all round while not mastering anything in particular, others might have two specialisations. The Dwarves are an example of this, they specialise in super heavy infantry, and in artillery. To also give them their own cavalry unit would probably make them overpowered, and it would also remove a bit of what makes them special.

  3. #623
    Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,185

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Yes, as a workaround. However sense wise, would dwarf rely purely on mercenaries? I think not. Of all Middle Earth races, they are probably the most independent and single minded one. I am certain they would come up with their own way of being mobile on the battlefield.

    It can be many things, maybe even chariot which uses boars. (Hell that would be cool, besides Dwarf's main source of meat is Boar/Pig, i am certain they could hand pick stronger species to use for military purpose), but im shifting away from the topic now. Point is, they do have travelers that travel all around. Now that Balin has reconquered KD, why wouldn't those travelers flock back and use their mounts to help the common cause. Can be quite a unique in all aspects Dwarf unit for KD, which would be very weak in melee combat (no dwarf knights!) and have a very long recruitment time. But still even possibility of having such a unit, would in my opinion enhance the gameplay aspect of Dwarf faction. I am not a massive Lore expert, however returning to the movies, they did rise horses (or ponies, w/e it was).
    Dwarves never ride animals to battle nor keep any by themselves. In battle they rely on men, this is simply how it is. The movies are the most lore-rape pieces of i've ever seen lol. It's barely even Middle Earth anymore, i felt like it was the Warcraft movie.

    Anyways, in The Hobbit book, Thorin's company did ride ponies, but Tolkien stated later that Dwarves would never mount any animal, nor keep any. He was re-writing The Hobbit, so the pony-riding would probably have been taken out completely.

  4. #624
    Vifarc's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    Dwarves all have access to mercenary cavalry. mercs are pretty essential for putting the brakes on annoying skirmishing goblins.
    Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    dwarf would come up with their own way of being mobile on the battlefield.
    Dwarf don't need cavalry, even against snaga. Mercenaries have been added for the so many players (at least 10 old threads) who don't know how to play dwarf or who don't want to bother playing dwarf-style: shields and large encirclement against snaga, if some snaga can flee the countryfield then dwarf don't care, what's important are the mines.
    I was telling about horsearchers for Rohan, because they don't have the so armor of the dwarf. Patient (while being shot, so good shields are needed) large one encirclment is not the Rohan way (it's swift and small encirclments).
    Last edited by Vifarc; August 10, 2016 at 09:32 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

  5. #625

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by CavalierJZ View Post
    Loving the mod guys, been playing about 2 weeks now and I can't get enough. I really love the unique general bodyguard units. If I wanted to add a few more at the start of a campaign, what files would I have to edit? I.e. Gondor starts with like 10 generals and 6 of them are the generic bodyguard unit and I would like to change at least a few of them to a gondorian unit. Also, is it possible to have a family members children have special bodyguards - like if/when Boromir dies his eldest son's bodyguard would the White guard?

    Thanks in advance,

    Joe
    I asked this a while back on the old forum but I forgot how to do it if you want to try to find the post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?667436-Divide-and-Conquer-Public-Beta-Release-Patch-0-3 or you can wait for someone to answer who knows. I don't believe you can make it so boromirs son gets his bodyguard unless you make all new generals get it but I don't know for sure. if for some reason no one has answered in the next few days I'll try and figure it out

  6. #626

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Well done, DAC team, well done

    I decided to play as Harad first, and I have to say you made their campaign a lot more eventful and challenging than Vanilla/MOS. I also love new additions to the roster and the different types of Bodyguards among the starting generals. If I can make one criticism, it's that Troll-Men Hunters are hilariously OP due to the fact they are available before the Barracks event. But seriously guys, I have to hand it to you. You were able to make Khand get more involved with the war (they took East Harondor under my nose) and so far Rohan isn't getting steamrolled by Isengard.

    11/10 guys.

  7. #627

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by faramirofgondor View Post
    I asked this a while back on the old forum but I forgot how to do it if you want to try to find the post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?667436-Divide-and-Conquer-Public-Beta-Release-Patch-0-3 or you can wait for someone to answer who knows. I don't believe you can make it so boromirs son gets his bodyguard unless you make all new generals get it but I don't know for sure. if for some reason no one has answered in the next few days I'll try and figure it out
    Thanks faramirofgondor, yeah i think the answer is in that thread somewhere and I will comb through it when I have some time. I think for heirs/sons I would have to edit the save game after they come of age? That way Faramir's son could be Itilien Rangers, Forlong's could be Axeman of Lossarnach, etc. - instead of all my generals being one type of unit. When I try to open and edit the save game though all I get is gibberish - I am using notepad++, is there a different program I should use?

  8. #628
    sheba021's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Ok, my KD campaign (120+ turns) was very stable and very enjoyable, aside form Orocarni units still not showing up. Lots of crashes on my Umbar campaign after 100 turns though. I have a question, is it possible to make KD passive like they were in 0.52 after they take both Moria settlements? They are way too strong for Dunland and Misty Orcs.

  9. #629

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Hey quick question for the mod team... I'm not very knowledgable about modding so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but would it be possible for you guys to use models from mods like the Edain Mod and Rise of Mordor->(Dale) to implement into DAC as I know Shurshun used his Mirkwood Elves models from a BFME mod? Mainly units for Dale as I would love to see them with their looks from The Hobbit films and some models they have for elite dwarves and custom generals etc. BTW I know these changes if possible would come way down the line.

  10. #630

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Dwarves never ride animals to battle nor keep any by themselves. In battle they rely on men, this is simply how it is. The movies are the most lore-rape pieces of i've ever seen lol. It's barely even Middle Earth anymore, i felt like it was the Warcraft movie.
    http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i57/2/12/2...-DO-ab52d3.jpg

  11. #631

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by CavalierJZ View Post
    Thanks faramirofgondor, yeah i think the answer is in that thread somewhere and I will comb through it when I have some time. I think for heirs/sons I would have to edit the save game after they come of age? That way Faramir's son could be Itilien Rangers, Forlong's could be Axeman of Lossarnach, etc. - instead of all my generals being one type of unit. When I try to open and edit the save game though all I get is gibberish - I am using notepad++, is there a different program I should use?
    I believe notepad++ is what they recommend using

  12. #632

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    All archers in the game are clearly inferior to the mighty Druedain Hunters and their Very Hugh accuracy.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Hin e-Daur could only dream of achieving Very Hugh status.

  13. #633

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    First, I would like to thank you for this version 1 release, as it has improved a lot from v0.52!!!

    Also here are some things I noticed :
    - during my campaign playing as Dunedain, Mordor AI didn't act very well after an invasion call of Caras Galadhon :
    Attachment 339413

    - I got a CTD during a campaign playing as Isengard at turn 6 after a siege battle in Helm's Deep at the moment campaign map displays back

    And some suggestions/ideas :
    - replacing swords of uruk defenders by basic curved orcish swords as they look in my opinion as an isengard levy
    - for Khand faction roster (which is already awesome as it is now), what about mounted archers on chariots for variag nobles with two flags on their back and a different helmet to be more unique and not "just" samurais, like this one?
    Attachment 339415
    Last edited by Mattack57; August 10, 2016 at 06:24 PM.

  14. #634

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo_HAM View Post
    All archers in the game are clearly inferior to the mighty Druedain Hunters and their Very Hugh accuracy.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Hin e-Daur could only dream of achieving Very Hugh status.
    See this is why I prefer to let Galu do all the writing stuff. When I do it stuff like this happens...

  15. #635

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Is there any reason editing unit stats would mess with scripts? They seem completely unrelated, but I don't pretend to know much about modding.

  16. #636

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    I just started a Khand Let's Play (again) and I manged to capture Imlad Carnen with two Marauders and 1 Khandish Raider. I think that the fort spearmen I fought were a bit underpowered if a Marauder could charge it and only take 4 casualties per charge. It seems repeatedly charging basic spearmen is still totally viable. Just don't do it against a shield wall or pikes, bad times happen :C




    The above image links to the Youtube playlist of this series!

  17. #637

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quick question, is it possible to actually get the Order of Boromir I whilst playing as Gondor? I've played several campaigns as them in version 0.52 and a couple in version 1, and I've never been able to get it.

  18. #638

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    the DAC team said the ND have already all of arnors units after the barracks event so there is no need to reform arnor

    It sounds now very likely they will do the reunited kingdom. They have a few reunited units made that are not in game and there are still a few armor combinations that can used to build an "imperial" arnorian army. I could definitely see it being similar to the KD campaign, which would be awesome.

  19. #639

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by The Paragonian View Post
    Quick question, is it possible to actually get the Order of Boromir I whilst playing as Gondor? I've played several campaigns as them in version 0.52 and a couple in version 1, and I've never been able to get it.
    I have never heard of such a unit at all in any TATW or mods. Maybe a dev can help you more here but I think it may simply not exist.

    On that note however, where do I get Castimirs Rangers from as Umbar? I past barracks event and checked Umbar and the building upgrades but onyl could find Castimirs Chosen. I am not sure if the rangers an actual unit except the one ranged medium unit says it takes its men from the Rangers so I jus assumed they were a recruitable unit?

  20. #640

    Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 1 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by IBSXYPNTS View Post
    I have never heard of such a unit at all in any TATW or mods. Maybe a dev can help you more here but I think it may simply not exist.

    On that note however, where do I get Castimirs Rangers from as Umbar? I past barracks event and checked Umbar and the building upgrades but onyl could find Castimirs Chosen. I am not sure if the rangers an actual unit except the one ranged medium unit says it takes its men from the Rangers so I jus assumed they were a recruitable unit?
    Order of Boromir I is the third level armsmans guild for Gondor, and i would also like to know if it is actually able to be gotten because i've never unlocked it either.

    No idea about Castimirs rangers though, sorry.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •