Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for version 3.8

Default Looking for version 3.8

After not looking at this mod for a while, i'm trying to get back into it. Since i prefer some of the older models to the ones introduced in 4.0, I'm trying to find a way to get the 3.8 version of this mod. However, those don't seem to be available anywhere. is there any way to still get them?

While looking i also noticed i am by no means the first to ask for this. Has Nephilim ever said why he doesn't keep the older versions of the mod available?

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Looking for version 3.8

Those old versions of the mod are buggy, unbalanced, and less complete than the latest versions. Hell, I'd say at least 20% of all games couldn't even make it past turn 16 in that version.

Perhaps, but there are things in those versions that have been cut or changed in the newer versions. Why not give us the option?

Primarily becuase it would be very confusing having multiple versions avaliable, everyone would try to download every single version on top of the other most mods do only have the one version avaliable tbf
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

There's a thing called Forking code, which is where you create a branch that is separate from the main version, but it comes from a same earlier point. Pretty much like Leopards, Lions, and Tigers all branching off from a common catcestor.

If Neph lets people start accessing his old stuff, they might start making community patches for them, might start adapting them, might start adding to them. While this wouldn't be a problem from a creativity standpoint, it would pose an issue for Neph who has enough on his plate supporting one game right now, let alone two. 3.8 would remain unbalanced and pretty buggy, or it would be fixed but then resources would be divided and the main 4.0 line of the game would suffer for it.

It is best just to kill the old versions. Keep things clean and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    There's a thing called Forking code, which is where you create a branch that is separate from the main version, but it comes from a same earlier point. Pretty much like Leopards, Lions, and Tigers all branching off from a common catcestor.

If Neph lets people start accessing his old stuff, they might start making community patches for them, might start adapting them, might start adding to them. While this wouldn't be a problem from a creativity standpoint, it would pose an issue for Neph who has enough on his plate supporting one game right now, let alone two. 3.8 would remain unbalanced and pretty buggy, or it would be fixed but then resources would be divided and the main 4.0 line of the game would suffer for it.

It is best just to kill the old versions. Keep things clean and consistent.
    Except I have many old versions. including Hyrule_3.8+CP

I understand that nobody wants to do troubleshooting for an outdated version, but the problem is that right now, so far as i've been able to track down, 3.8 isnt available anywhere.

I'm not asking for a download of every single version of the mod ever on the release page, just a sticky or something with links to versions that had content which isn't in the current version any more, with the clear understanding that only the latest version is supported, and the older ones are used at your own risk. If that is made very clear in advance, you have a ready answer if someone does run into the older version's bugs.

Besides, the only people that are likely to download the older version of the mod are people like me, who enjoyed certain aspects of the mod that are no longer in the curent version. We know about the bugs, and accept them as part of the price we have to pay for accessing that old content. Just like we all accept the fact that the medieval 2 engine doesn't look very good anymore as part of the decision to install a med2 mod in the first place

What features are u missing from this latest version exactly, because nost of them are going to come back just in slughtyl improved forms
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

DarkInterloper's Avatar Campidoctor

To expand on what tedster said, we're bringing back the Twili Civil War, Sheikah Stances, the intro event messages, and alot of other stuff.
    Balres Resdak, Balres Nofok.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    Those old versions of the mod are buggy, unbalanced, and less complete than the latest versions. Hell, I'd say at least 20% of all games couldn't even make it past turn 16 in that version.

funny thing is though that it was the version that worked for me. 4.o crashes at a drop of the hat cuz it's put together so shoddily. the files aren't in the right places so in my opinion 4.0 is buggy unbalanced and incomplete XD give me back my 3.8 so i can actually play the game and not have to fix errors every 5 minutes XD

I know its been a while but does anyone still have 3.8? I would love to play it again.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

What were the main features of 3.8?

My 3.6 has the community patches for sure. I don't remember if 3.8 were released as such or if it were unofficial.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

To be honest I can't remeber what the main features were.
    I want it just cause its the one I started on and 3.6 or any other of the newer versions just aren't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebot22 View Post
    To be honest I can't remeber what the main features were.
    I want it just cause its the one I started on and 3.6 or any other of the newer versions just aren't the same.
    3.8 is more new than 3.6 - but if 3.8 were just unofficial updates then that is the one i am working on as a base. If it had any official content that weren't in 3.6 then i don't have it.

I stoped updating my version when the new models came so i should have everything before that.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

So I've found 3.6 and yeah its pretty good. The only thing is I've noticed that I cant get the community patches for it so whenever I try to play Midna I can't attack Zant or the game crashes.
    You wouldn't happen to have said patches would you?

So I've found 3.6 and yeah its pretty good. The only thing is I've noticed that I cant get the community patches for it so whenever I try to play Midna I can't attack Zant or the game crashes.
    You wouldn't happen to have said patches would you?
    Yeah, i have them installed. No issues with Zant nor Midna. I do also have all those extra general portraits.

- The Havamal

Any idea where I can find these patches? I tried on the actual community patches page but it looked like they had been deleted for the newer version.

Any idea where I can find these patches? I tried on the actual community patches page but it looked like they had been deleted for the newer version.
    Sadly no idea if they aren't on this forum.

I don't have the patches, but i have a version with them implemented already - i might restore my older submod to the vanilla 3.8 so that you and others can get it. I also want to show people the difference between my submod and the original 3.8 - as i've done a lot of coding on it and created some new pics, units etc using assets by Undying Nephalim.

Of course he is the creator of 99% of the material and i've mostly done coding, solved issues and continued work on his scripts. New units are either from his other stuff or they are like older units with new gear from his other stuff.

I will see to restoring the most outdated WIP to vanilla so you can play it but i want to finish my submod. I did fail to make the Stalfos work in the campaign as an ordinary faction without causing lots of ctd. As such they will be playable like in 3.8 but will not be a challenge as the AI.

By the way - earlier in this thread people said 3.8/3.6 had issues with crashing on turn 16 (when the River Zola Invasion happens) but this only happens if one updates the text-files inside of the data/text-folder. It would seem certain text-files are outdated there while the sprite-file is more modern. If i tried to update the text-files that are outdated to the same version as the sprite, then the mod would constantly crash on turn 16. It is mostly files like the "settlements and regions"-file. Other text-files like the EU and the expanded.txt were fine to edit.

So i would say certain files cannot be edited unless you wanna risk the Zola Invasion-CTD.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 19, 2019 at 08:45 AM.

- The Havamal

Thanks for the help. Good luck with your submod.

Thanks for the help. Good luck with your submod.
    I think i know what files are causing the issues with the Zant/Majora-ctd.

I suggest backing up your files and using these:

Place the expanded.txt inside of the data/text-folder replacing the old file, and the descr_regions.txt file inside of the data/world/maps/base-folder replacing the file there.

I did fix the issue with the Majora faction crashing when holding the mouse over their settlements.

Don't forget to delete the .rvm-file inside of data/world/maps/base.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 19, 2019 at 09:18 AM.

- The Havamal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast