Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor & Emergent Factions Unit Pack [v1.01, August 5, 2017]

Default Re: Minor & Emergent Factions Unit Pack [v1.01, August 5, 2017]

Okay, checked it out...works now, kinda. But the 24 pdr is fixed now, and both cannon and crew got interesting oriental look, which is kinda funny when put next to regular cannon...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks for reporting your experience. It worked okay in my tests, the only thing missing was the full unit description on the unit card (the paragraphs about the unit) which does not affect the unit's performance on the battlefield. The unit's name, picture and statistics are shown.

Yes, the 24-pounder is fixed now. The game designers intended this to be a demi-cannon. Since the game crashed when this unit was used in battle, I thought that removing my edits (which made it mobile) would prevent the crash. That worked - we can now use the unit in battle. (I reduced the price of the unit to reflect the fact that it's fixed). Obviously, this means that it's unlikely that a US player would choose this unit in a custom battle. However, this mod is intended for campaign game play rather than custom battles.

You mentioned the eastern look of the gun-crew and that you were using this unit in a United States army in a custom battle. I can see how this unit's appearance looks odd next to soldiers in US uniforms. The eastern appearance is intentional. In the Grand Campaign, the new 24-pounder cannon is recruited in North Africa. There are mods which unlocks minor factions (the All Factions Unlocked startpos) and minor and emergent factions (Empire Total Factions) for the Grand Campaign. However, some factions are very difficult or impossible to play because they have a limited unit roster. The Barbary States (and, I believe, Morocco), cannot recruit any artillery if you play them without using a unit mod such as this one. I chose the appearance which the Ottoman 24-pounder demi-cannon crew uses, since there is no specifically North African gun crew design. That's why they have a Middle Eastern appearance. (Perhaps I should change the area of recruitment for this cannon from North Africa to the Middle East, to reflect the appearance of the unit?).

Some of the units added/used by the mod are intended to represent regional units which are recruited in specific areas of the world; their appearance is intended to reflect their area of recruitment. These units include the new 24-pounder demi-cannon, Riskers of Souls and Desert Warriors (recruitable in North Africa), African Musketeers, Marine 12-pounder Artillery and Maroon Rebel Insurgents (in the West Indies), Highland Infantry (Scotland), Voltigeurs (France) and Mountain Troops (Norway). I enjoy being able to recruit different units when I capture regions in new areas. The 'area of recruitment' system intended to provide a balanced challenge for minor and emergent factions. With this mod, any minor or emergent faction can have a large, varied unit roster, if you can capture regions where you can recruit the different units.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 06, 2017 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    You know, in recent years I got an idea of a mod that would drastic change the CAI and what I am talking is to enhance the buildings in a region e.g better repression from a military building among other things.

vanilla has 2 repression from a military building with one city slot and two recruitment slots (military technology or a region controls what unit it can be recruited)
    vanilla has 3 repression from a government building with one city slot and one recruitment slot (only militia infantry and militia cavalry can be recruited)
    vanilla has 4 repression from a Royal Palace (mostly emergent and minor factions/nations e.g Courland, Hannover, Hungary always build a military building before the Royal Palace is being built) with one city slot and three recruitment slots

If you were playing a minor nation such as Hannover, the player can only recruit three units in one turn.

So if one of your enemies wanted to invade with one full army (cavalry cannons, line infantry etc) and only five turn remains before the attack occur.

How can the player being able defend and win the battle with 15-20 militia units except for the general?
    I'm sorry, Leonardo, I missed this until now. (I sometimes miss the final post on one page of a thread, when there is a post on the next page). Your mod idea sounds like an interesting concept.

You asked how a player can defend and win a battle with 15-20 militia units against a professional army. They probably can't win with ordinary milita units. They probably cannot afford many regular army units such as Line Infantry, even if they have buildings capable of recruiting them. That is why this mod exists. This mod allows minor factions to recruit improved militia (such as Provincial Militia, in Europe and Desert Warriors, in North Africa). This mod gives improved militia units the 'skirmish fire' ability (every soldier fires at once, not just the front rank). Skirmish fire is a major reason why our Minutemen can beat Line Infantry in the Road to Independence campaign.

This mod also allows smaller nations to recruit irregular units (such as Guerrillas, in Europe) and shock infantry (such as Riskers of Souls, in North Africa and African Musketeers, in the West Indies) and early regular units (such as Expatriate Infantry). With a combination of improved militia, irregular infantry, perhaps one or two early regular units such as Expatriate Infantry, a general and some armed citizenry, a minor or emergent faction can survive an attack by a large army from a major faction. At least, it is possible on Normal difficulty (or sometimes Hard, if I am feeling confident and playing a relatively powerful minor faction such as Venice). It is still difficult - very difficult, for some minor factions.

How do you win against a professional army? You win by methods such as:-

- Using units which are better than ordinary militia

- Maximising the offensive potential of your units, for example, putting 'skirmish fire' units in a position where they can fire from the flank or rear. If you can recruit shock infantry, use one of them (they reduce the morale of nearby enemy units) and keep them in reserve until the late stages of the battle (reducing enemy morale has no actual benefit until enemy units start wavering.) If you can recruit cavalry (this mod does not add cavalry, but some minor and emergent factions can recruit them anyway) keep them in reserve. When the enemy infantry have been committed (and any enemy cavalry have been neutralised) send your horsemen to charge depleted enemy units from the rear. Charge, fall back and rest, then charge again.

- Defending your units as much as possible, for example by some infantry in thin lines (two deep rather than three, to reduce casualties) and taking full advantage of the terrain. Your units take fewer casualties from ranged fire in the woods; they have better morale on higher ground, for example.

- Of course, your improved militia and irregular infantry have lower morale than professional soldiers. You can compensate for this by concentrating your attack in a specific area and rotating units (moving fatigued units back and replacing them with fresh reserves). You can impose a morale penalty on the enemy (kill their general or use shock infantry). I also recommend using Bran's Battle AI with this mod. His mod reduces the foolish actions of the AI (of course, they cannot be eliminated completely); it also allows routed units to recover and return to battle more often. If you are defending, you can use this to your advantage, re-grouping your broken units and falling back to form a new line (I have seen the AI do this too, when they are losing).

An example of this is chapter 17 of my Ireland AAR - see the image and the first few paragraphs of that chapter. In the AAR, this is presented as a general's idea of how a battle which had already happened could have been fought more effectively (not an actual battle). However, I played the battle as described in that chapter (when I re-started my Ireland campaign) and the result was a clear victory for Ireland.

There are sometimes other options:-

- If you can predict the route on the campaign map which your enemy will take on the campaign map - for example, as Ireland it is likely that Britain will attack you across the land-bridge between Scotland and Ireland - then you can use an ambush, This involves leaving an army of units with the 'paths seldom trod' ability in a forest (on the campaign map) for several turns. When the figure representing the army crouches down, the army is ready to ambush. You can send your first 'paths seldom trod' unit to a wooded area and then send more units with the same ability to join it. I mentioned my Ireland AAR, Éirí Amach: Irish Rising, in which Ireland survived ambushing the British army by ambushing them. You can see the results for yourself, the Battle of Lisburn, in chapter 10 and chapter 11. (That campaign was played using the unit pack for Early American Revolution (EAR). This mod is similar, unlocking units such as Guerrillas for Ireland. The EAR mod also allows Ireland to recruit an elite Revolutionary Guard unit in Dublin. With the Minor and Emergent Factions Unit Pack, that unit can be recruited mainly in the Americas (not in Ireland, if I remember correctly). However, the EAR mod allows Britain to recruit above-average Highland Infantry regiments; also, I used another pack which allows Britain to recruit elite Royal Marines. The extra unit which Ireland could recruit was balanced by the extra British units.)

- Having a revolution can be a way to give your faction more money (because you trigger the revolution by setting taxes to maximum). At least, for some factions, it can provide just enough money to support your army until you have captured a couple of regions from a major faction. (There is a downside to having a revolution for minor factions - most nations are monarchies and their diplomatic attitude to your nation will become more negative if you become a republic. Emergent factions such as Quebec, Ireland and the United States seem to get away with being republics without so much of a negative response.) I explain how to have a revolution, using the example of the Thirteen Colonies, here (select the spoiler heading 'How to start your revolution').
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 06, 2017 at 05:25 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

That's okay. I know you need to attend to other things than to things that intrests you most, game play strategy if I understood you correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm sorry, Leonardo, I missed this until now. (I sometimes miss the final post on one page of a thread, when there is a post on the next page). Your mod idea sounds like an interesting concept.

You asked how a player can defend and win a battle with 15-20 militia units against a professional army. They probably can't win with ordinary milita units. They probably cannot afford many regular army units such as Line Infantry, even if they have buildings capable of recruiting them. That is why this mod exists. This mod allows minor factions to recruit improved militia (such as Provincial Militia, in Europe and Desert Warriors, in North Africa). This mod gives improved militia units the 'skirmish fire' ability (every soldier fires at once, not just the front rank). Skirmish fire is a major reason why our Minutemen can beat Line Infantry in the Road to Independence campaign.

This mod also allows smaller nations to recruit irregular units (such as Guerrillas, in Europe) and shock infantry (such as Riskers of Souls, in North Africa and African Musketeers, in the West Indies) and early regular units (such as Expatriate Infantry). With a combination of improved militia, irregular infantry, perhaps one or two early regular units such as Expatriate Infantry, a general and some armed citizenry, a minor or emergent faction can survive an attack by a large army from a major faction. At least, it is possible on Normal difficulty (or sometimes Hard, if I am feeling confident and playing a relatively powerful minor faction such as Venice). It is still difficult - very difficult, for some minor factions.

How do you win against a professional army? You win by methods such as:-

- Using units which are better than ordinary militia

- Maximising the offensive potential of your units, for example, putting 'skirmish fire' units in a position where they can fire from the flank or rear. If you can recruit shock infantry, use one of them (they reduce the morale of nearby enemy units) and keep them in reserve until the late stages of the battle (reducing enemy morale has no actual benefit until enemy units start wavering.) If you can recruit cavalry (this mod does not add cavalry, but some minor and emergent factions can recruit them anyway) keep them in reserve. When the enemy infantry have been committed (and any enemy cavalry have been neutralised) send your horsemen to charge depleted enemy units from the rear. Charge, fall back and rest, then charge again.
    Let me explain what my mod idea is all about.

I guess you already notice it that the cavalry in vanilla has both the Provinicial Cavalry (the militia infantry has it own unit roster) and the regular Regiment of Horse belongs to the same unit roster and only the unit stats for each unit type show the player how good a horse is in a battle.

I think that's wrong for three reasons:

1. The Provincial Cavalry, is a militia cavalry, can be recruited in any building regardless what faction the player is playing
    2. The Regiment of Horse, is a regular cavalry, can only be recruited in the barracks building in a city with 3-4 city slots
    3. The 6 lbs horse artillery can only be recruited in the artillery building while the 3 lbs horse artillery can be recruited in any building if I'm not mistaken

I don't think a mod for this purpose exist, and if such mod doesn't exist maybe it's time to create such a government overhaul mod. Does this mod change the cavalry in-game?

As you may know by now I don't know much about modding in general, but I am willing to learn, if someone can give me some instructions about what I need to do and how to do it.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

It sounds like you would like to make a mod which would edit the buildings (or factions) in which units can be recruited. Obviously, we're in the Modifications Forum, not the Mod Workshop, so I shouldn't say too much about modding here. You wrote that you are willing to learn; all I know about modding Empire Total War is linked from here. Of course, there is a lot more information in the Empire Mod Workshop. You can also sometimes pick up clues about modding from comments which modders make on discussion threads about their mods.

In my experience, it is possible to make a mod which allows a unit to be recruited in additional buildings. It should be possible to do this by creating a mod with the building_units_allowed_table containing entries for the unit(s) you wanted to modify (I think you would also need at least a units_table and a units_to_exclusive_factions_permissions table; you would need a unit_to_exclusive_factions table if you wanted to decide which factions can recruit a unit). You might want to use the instructions on creating a mod to unlock units and an example of a mini-mod, available in this post. For example, if you wanted the 6 lb horse artillery to be recruited in additional buildings, you could create a mod which would do that.

The more difficult part could be how to prevent a unit from being recruited in a building which the vanilla game allows it be recruited in. For example, supposing you wanted Provincial Cavalry to be recruited only in minor region capitals, since they are 'provincial'. In theory, this should be possible because major cities (with three or more building slots, or two or more slots if you use Shokh Hates Sieges) use a different building chain compared to minor buildings. However, I do not know of a simple way to tell the game that 'Unit X cannot be recruited in Building Y'. There might be a complicated way to achieve this effect:-

- You could prevent all (or most) factions from recruiting Provincial Cavalry (for example by changing their region ID code) and create a new Provincial Cavalry unit which would only be recruitable in the buildings you chose.

- Alternatively, it might be possible to achieve this by not renaming your building_units_allowed table in your mod. (Normally, you would rename any database table in a mod, for example units_table might become mymod_units_table. When we do this, the game uses our modded table in addition to the vanilla database table. If we do not rename the database table in the mod file, then the game tries to use the modded table instead of the vanilla database table. The first method (renaming the database table) has some advantages, for example we only need to include rows for entries we are modifying - we do not need to include the whole vanilla table in our mod. If we use the second method, we would need to include the whole table. Another downside of the second method is that, when I tried it, the game often crashed.

My guides rely on old modding tools (PFM 1.5.9 to create a new empty mod file and to extract database tables from the game's vanilla files, then PFM 1.5.3 to edit the mod file) because that works for me. (When I tried using 1.5.9 to edit, it sometimes crashed; when I tried using 1.5.3 to extract files, it usually crashed). You might prefer to use a newer version of Pack File Manager (PFM). The latest version should be in the Mod Workshop for Warhammer. (You would not need to own Warhammer to use the PFM which is designed to work for it). Newer versions of PFM are more advanced (they can tell you more about what specific columns of database tables actually do), however I had problems when trying to mod ETW using some newer versions of PFM, so I returned to the older versions which work for me. However, perhaps newer versions will work for you, or maybe the new version available now is more compatible with ETW than the newer versions I tried. Good luck!
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 06, 2017 at 10:43 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Yes, I am aware in which forum I posted my idea and I do know about the mod workshop. I apologize, for derailing your thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post10346473
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

(Sorry, I replied to a question by Leonardo about using a militia army to defeat a professional army and then realised that I had already replied to it, further up the thread.)

Anyway, thanks for your questions and comments, Leonardo!
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 22, 2017 at 08:39 AM.

...Great mod...
    Thank you so much for releasing this mod!

It saved me the trouble from having to think of something similar. It always bothered me a bit to see the focus in ETW land on the bigger ships, and the privileged factions that can build them. Small ships are so much fun, and doubly so when playing as a small faction.

The only customization I did was delete the capability of the Barbary States/Crimea/Morocco to recruit 1st/2nd/3rd rates ships of the line.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

You're welcome, it's good to hear that someone is enjoying a campaign using the mod.

I agree that small ships are a lot of fun, especially when playing as a small faction. I enjoy the challenge of using smaller ships to capture medium-sized ones, and then using those to capture large ones. It sounds like your customized version of the mod would have enabled you to have that challenge.

I noticed your new Durango's Interface Visual Enhancement Mod, it looks great and I like your presentation of the mod (with very clear instructions and well-chosen screenshots).

You're welcome, it's good to hear that someone is enjoying a campaign using the mod.

I agree that small ships are a lot of fun, especially when playing as a small faction. I enjoy the challenge of using smaller ships to capture medium-sized ones, and then using those to capture large ones. It sounds like your customized version of the mod would have enabled you to have that challenge.

I noticed your new Durango's Interface Visual Enhancement Mod, it looks great and I like your presentation of the mod (with very clear instructions and well-chosen screenshots).
    Yeah, I'm even playing with tweaked economy settings and 25% more expensive ships. The small 1-8 ship battles are the most enjoyable by far, because then you can micro to your heart's content

Taking away the big ships from some of the factions is just to make the game harder for them. I'm a masochist sometimes! Just recently I played campaigns using Knights of St John and Saxony, great if you want to skip going to the barber and instead pull you own hair out. No money, no tech, no friends, no growth, nothing. Such is life.

BTW, here's a sneak peak of another project I'm likely to finish sometime in the future:

For those who like NTW style portraits.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Default Re: Minor & Emergent Factions Unit Pack [v1.0, July 2016]

Hi Alwyn I love your mod, however i'm having an issue where the Highland Infantry are recruitable in Germany, is this intentional? It just seems odd for Wurttemberg to be walking around with stacks full of highland infantry. I'm using a few unit packs so its possible that its an issue being caused there, I just wanted to see if this is working as intended or if that should not be happening
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Okay after some testing it seems Highland infantry are available anywhere in Europe to all minor nations, doesn't matter if its Gibraltar or Russia or if you're playing as Denmark or Bavaria, Highland infantry are recruitable everywhere. This is not happening with any other region-specific unit. I had a look at your pack in the pack file manager and from what i can tell they should only be recruitable in Scotland and have a limit of 2 units, but they are everywhere and unlimited, I can't figure it out.
    I love slavery

You're right, Highland Infantry are only intended to be recruitable in Scotland with this mod. You mentioned that you're using a few unit packs - as you said, it seems likely that this is causing the issue.

You're right, Highland Infantry are only intended to be recruitable in Scotland with this mod. You mentioned that you're using a few unit packs - as you said, it seems likely that this is causing the issue.
    Thanks for the quick reply i appreciate it. i haver removed all other mods apart from yours but i'm still having the same issue, highland infantry available everywhere. I can't figure out what is causing this i am not much of a modder but even i can see in the pack the unit should require 'scotland' and be limited. I know this mod is years old but do you have any suggestions? It seems the next step would be to simply remove the unit from all factions roster but that would be a bit of a shame.
    I love slavery

The_Lord_Snow's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by A Demented Goldfish View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply i appreciate it. i haver removed all other mods apart from yours but i'm still having the same issue, highland infantry available everywhere. I can't figure out what is causing this i am not much of a modder but even i can see in the pack the unit should require 'scotland' and be limited. I know this mod is years old but do you have any suggestions? It seems the next step would be to simply remove the unit from all factions roster but that would be a bit of a shame.
    You could try renaming the region_unit_resource from scotland to scots. This is the region resource that the unique Clansman unit uses and I believe it only includes Scotland and maybe a few regions associated with the Scottish diaspora. I don't believe it would include regions like the Netherlands or France where the Royal Ecossais can be trained.
    Lead (and only) Developer of the Succession Mod for Total War EMPIRE

Thanks The_Lord_Snow for the suggestion. Yes, editing the region_unit_resource for Highland Infantry to scots might help.

Sometimes problems caused by mods (or clashes between mods, as seems to have happened here) persist even if the mods are removed. For example, when I used a different set of mods, saved games became corrupted and the problem continued even after I removed all mods and reinstalled the game. This probably won't solve the problem, but you could try the fix in this post (moving the preferences file), just in case it makes a difference.

As A Demented Goldfish suggested, you could remove the unit from the all factions roster. Alternatively, you could remove it from the roster of every faction except Scotland, by deleting the rows in units_to_exclusive_factions_permissions (if I remember the database table correctly) for this unit for every faction exception Scotland.

Thank you both for your help, I edited the region unit resource as lord snow suggested and this made no difference unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the pack itself as they are limited to 2 units in the pack and unlimited in the game, as Alwyn said I believe its probably a conflict with the other packs I had installed, its annoying that some mods require the manager and others don't as the manager will only give you a partial list of what you have installed. I will do a fresh install when I finish my current campaign and if that still doesn't work I'll just remove the unit, its only 1 and all the others seem to have no issues so its not the end of the world. Thanks again.
    I love slavery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12