Thread: I wish this game had real ragdoll physics.

Default I wish this game had real ragdoll physics.

If anyone seen game thrones season 6 episode ninth. Do you remember when the enemies started to surround the army up an bodies started to build up from the ground. It began harder, harder, and harder to walk on foot because their so many bodies that are on the ground. I think that this would be cool for this game or future total war games. You know if your defending a line against a horde of enemies coming right at you, it would become harder to defend specially when the enemies or the your army not pushing back. Because of so many bodies building from the ground. I just think it would be really cool feature in the game.

axicup's Avatar Civis

Default Re: I wish this game had real ragdoll physics.

It was a terrible episode. And bodies don't build up and form a freaking wall.
    Last edited by axicup; July 15, 2016 at 03:16 AM.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I loved the part where a line two men deep somehow stopped a giant by poking him with what was basically toothpicks.

On topic, though, ragdoll physics for eight thousand men on screen at once would probably destroy most computers in the world.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I loved the part where a line two men deep somehow stopped a giant by poking him with what was basically toothpicks.

On topic, though, ragdoll physics for eight thousand men on screen at once would probably destroy most computers in the world.
    Not really, Kingdom under-fire does it. Even though, that's a entirely different engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz53kqC54MM

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex

Yes, really, since that trailer is well...trailer and actual gameplay did not look like that, plus there is no ragdoll in it, like those guys that are stomped by a giant monster, but are launched in the air upward. Company of Heroes 1 and 2 have ragdoll effects and it looks awesome, but the game can slow down even on top machines once everything starts to blow up and only with few dozens of troops, not thousends like here.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Company of Heroes is a great example of an RTS that makes good use of Ragdolls. It's squad based, so there will never be hundreds and hundreds of units on screen at one time. (Well, until I mod them in anyway!)

And even then, as KAM says, it can slow down sometimes in the later parts of the game.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Aenerion1's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by axicup View Post
    While it may not actually form walls and such, and prove clear tactical advantages to one side, the bodies of dead and wounded were indeed a big problem in battles of old, and could ruin whole sets of tactics. There are many accounts telling of heaps and hills of bodies on battlefields. Agincourt being a prime example what it could do.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by axicup View Post
    Hey guys, I found him! The one and only person who didn't like that episode!

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Would've liked at least the option (even if I can't enable it now with current tech) or perhaps used sparingly (to mitigate performance impact).

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Total War? Ragdoll Physics?

Bodies heaping on top of each other is really the feature I miss from Total war games, especically gun-powder era ones. But OTOH, ragdoll physics is a hugely wasteful way of achieving this. You would never be able to calculate the physics of a few hundreds objects, let alone tens of thousands, without burning your processor to ashes. There ought to be other, more clever and economic ways.

axicup's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Hey guys, I found him! The one and only person who didn't like that episode!
    Not sure if sarcasm or sarcasm.

If there are clear gameplay effects from piles of bodies, you'd simply opt to use missile units, or magic abilities.

It's also probably just going to be a rare feature for the average Total War battle, as large maps allow you to outmanouvre enemy forces, or in the case of sieges, just attacking specific portions of a fortification.

Also, I doubt the game engine is capable of being designed so as to make impromptu obstacles to unit pathing. And before you say "but breaking down walls exists", that's not creating obstacles, that's deleting them. So there is the technical perspective to consider; that even if we all want it, it might not be possible until they o away with Warscape.

And if it ends up becoming some developer's pet project for the next TW game, then it' just going to be a gimmick that people would decry as too detrimental to gameplay, or too buggy.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

ragdoll on 5000-10000 units? yea, maybe with nasa super computers.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: