Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: GATHER THE WAR-HERDS! THE BEASTMEN COMETH!!!

Default Re: GATHER THE WAR-HERDS! THE BEASTMEN COMETH!!!

Edit: Video working
    Last edited by tgoodenow; July 19, 2016 at 02:02 AM.

axicup's Avatar Civis

Oh, thanks.

Spells are not made by CA. Its GWs doing. In one way or another they re all the same. They all add buffs or debuffs or do damage. Nothing special there. The.only unique ones are the tier 6 ones i guess.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Nah the GW spells are pretty creative in on themselves. The implementation into the game however leaves a bit to be desired. Its usually just stat boost, stat debuff, exsplosion, direct damage and magic missile. There could have been a lot more variation.

For the lore of the wild. I predict summoning Cygors will always be the way to go. For 19 mana you can reliably summon two of them during a battle.

Civis

The engine is the limiting factor with magic. There's simply far fewer variables to play with.

Tabletop spells could have many little twists to make them unique. Black horror, pit of shades, pleasure winded, etc all put a template down and force the target to take a stat test. But the type of test required changes how the affects different units, making each spell function very differently.

We can't do that in TWW. A vortex spell can have damage, and ap damage. That's it. There no way to differentiate between 6 S6 hits and 20 S2 hits.

And then there's no way to represent so many other unique effects. Tabletop spells had a lot of very cool effects that just cannot be made in TWW. Chain lightning could arc to multiple units. Slaanesh spells could force a target to move a certain direction. Tzeentch and goblin spells were super super random. Frenzied units have to charge if they're able. There's no initiative in TWW. There's no always strike first rule. Buffs which had a lot more character on the table can only really tweak melee stats and damage. Spells like chain lightning have to be crammed into a vortex. The TWW engine just wasn't made for magic.

So please don't say tabletop spells were boring! They had a lot of character and nuance that just cannot be replicated here!
    That's Numberwang!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I would say that's almost impossible to fully recreate the mechanics of any table top game into a video game, if anything in the table top you always have players' fantasy as a central element of the game.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Brayherd is exactly the same as Orc Waaagh army

axicup's Avatar Civis

I liked the dark moon cycle mechanic.

I gotta be honest... I'm dissapointed that you won't be able to play with middenheim in the mini campaign...

Rob Roy, not only that, but I would have thought it would be the perfect time to introduce Middenheim into the Grand Campaign and add more Ulrican units like White Wolves, Wolf Kin, Teutogen guard etc...
    And no Morghur who would have been interesting to play with

Quote Originally Posted by Psyalexander1664 View Post
    Rob Roy, not only that, but I would have thought it would be the perfect time to introduce Middenheim into the Grand Campaign and add more Ulrican units like White Wolves, Wolf Kin, Teutogen guard etc...
    And no Morghur who would have been interesting to play with
    Yep... Finally being able to play with a bunch of unique units would be nice. Sending your Swords of Ulric to patrol Drakwald and hunt the Beastmen down.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post

Brayherd is exactly the same as Orc Waaagh army
    Yeah that's a rather prosaic approach. If they have a moon mechanic thing why not make it so you have a big buff to all your units until Morrslieb wanes or something? Leave summoned stacks to the Orcs.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Yeah that's a rather prosaic approach. If they have a moon mechanic thing why not make it so you have a big buff to all your units until Morrslieb wanes or something? Leave summoned stacks to the Orcs.
    I beg to disagree. Of course we would have to wait (rather impatiently ) to try the gameplay by ourselves but my hunch tells me things would be different with the Beastmen. Orc units are relatively weak compared to other race, they would need numerial advantage in order to win. Even when they are not campaigning, the vast distance of the Badlands means that you cannot be strong everywhere. It's not unusual to me that I am occupied at one end of the realm and some troubles appear on the other end, either rebellion, the rise of new savage orcs tribes or Dwarfen invasion. In such cases, sending a Waagh army seems to be the most convenient solution.

With the Beastmen, things are different. Beastmen units tends to be rather strong and aggressive. They also don't have to trouble themselves with defending their cities. My strategy would likely be like this: I would use brayherd as cannon fodder in menial tasks such as city assault or finishing defeated armies. The main tribe would be used aggressively as attack weapon only.

I had hoped that they made the Beastmen more of nuisance towards the Imperium and laid off the infightning.

During a campaign with the Empire you are more or less always mainly fighting the other factions of the Empire. Sometimes the Von Carsteins pick a fight, sometimes not. Despite what you do the Von Carsteins will pick up some settlements from Averland and Stirland (and sometimes Talabecland). But they are rarely that much of a threat, since they are being locked in a fight with the dwarfs more often than not.

The various Greenskin tribes in the Empire are most often wiped out quite early in the game, leaving only the orks in the badlands. They almost never head up north to the Empire aside from the occasional raid anyways.

The main oppositions, excluding the other imperial factions, are Norscan raiders (with invasion forces) and maybe some grumpy Bretonnian lord. Perhaps even the border princes. Not even the forces of chaos makes a dent when their supposed reign of terror begins.

Beastmen could have spiced this up a bit, randomly a herd could start to gather to raid a province and/or settlements, and unless dealt with would form a proper warband. Much like how I imagined how the AI-orks would play. The reason for this is that the Empire is a pretty unstable place, the fact that they have the greenskins, beastmen, norscan and skaven raiding them, even in their heartlands, is the reason for them not completely banding up and curb stomping every imaginable opponent in the warhammer setting. Since each lord and count is constantly harassed and committed to various enemies within their realms.

Fighting other factions of the Empire should really incur diplomatic penalties with the rest, making diplomacy more viable (given the structure of confederation that would be kind of hard to pull of I suppose). But assisting the other elector counts with repelling especially hard raiding parties or invasions and occupations from either other elector counts, greenskins or the Von Carsteins should make them far more open to the idea of alliances. Confederations as they are in-game, while I understand their purpose, really does not fit in this setting. Why would they surrender their lands to you? Maybe it should simply be "Wissenland now supports Franz Karl" which allows you to recruit and replenish troops in their territories (excluding Dwarfs or Bretonnians). By that I don't mean just the global recruitment function, but regional recruitment as well, from their barracks. If the AI city building built other things than taverns this might work. Factions joining you might even grant you benefits, "Heavy Halberdiermen +X armor" from Averland, "Nuln Engineers -upkeep for gunpowder units" from Wissenland etc.

It feels as if this would better represent a united Empire against common enemies. The Beastmen, norscans and greenskins would discourage the player from managing to large a territory, given the limited amount of stacks you can field. Of course, more settlements or resources spread out in a Empire TW fashion would further incentivize the player to actually deal with raiders. Rather than cowering behind the walls (like a coward ) until relief arrives. There are plenty of depth available for introduction here, might even make public order, corruption and so forth have an actual meaning rather than the "oh no, your people are very upset. Here comes a chaos warlord" by adding in economical and diplomatic penalties for mismanagement ("why side with you when you can't even manage the Reikland" etc)

This turned into rant perhaps but these things would have been cool to see . Beastmen are pretty important for Bretonnia and the Empire atleast, glad to see them pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Nothing worse than a map with half the settlements burned down and nobody rebuilding. Having a settlement burned is still a massive setback for both AI and Players.
    Well you said it yourself. The problem is the AI can't handle it and will still repopulate it, without being able to hold it or even having the attention. The game is in that regard broken and punishing AI players twice as much.

This looks a great expansion by Total War standards. Playing other factions on the minimap is a little disappointing but we are getting a minimi campaign and new faction in the grand campaign. I've seen DLC that tweaked diplomacy dynamics for $10 before. Very tempted to pick this up.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

as if the Empire was not OP enough before, now they get free monsters

Should I go with the wizard that has a bunch of worthless and overpriced AOE spells or the one which do most of the same crap, flies a griffon and spawns a high-tier monster for free?
    Last edited by Påsan; July 26, 2016 at 06:09 PM.

Im actually surprised they didn't release the Bretonnia FLC alongside beastmen, you'd think they'd only need 5 or so extra units to bring the faction to life....perhaps they're waiting to release alongside the WE DLC

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

I'm more disappointed they haven't fleshed out Middenland for release along beastmen ((

I suspect this. With the beastmen down there, that area looks very claustrophobic once wood elves are added. Clearly someone will invade the forest, and I assumed it would be Bretonnia. I am thinking Wood Elves will have similar attrition penalties as undead.

Maybe the free lc bretonnia faction will add a bit more than I originally thought.