Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War Through the Ages: Rome!

Default Total War Through the Ages: Rome!

Total War Through the Ages is a series I'm currently making where I play through every Total War game (that I own) in order of their release!

The overall goal is to complete the "Grand Campaign" on Hard/Hard (I'll probably be moving up to VH/VH after Rome) for each game as quickly as possible. That WAS the plan anyway... I've since ran into the challenge of "I suck at Rome: Total War", so even against the AI, it's been a steep learning curve. However, thanks to a good friend of mine who's the only Rome 1 expert I know, I've been able to turn it around!

Without further delay, a link to the series:

I've taken down the first episode due to editing errors on my part (I dun goofed), so the above link is Episode 2.

Any criticism/tips in either the editing or game play is greatly appreciated! Just please remember I'm a noob at Rome. So be gentle please...

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Total War Through the Ages: Rome!

Link doesn't seem to work. Fixed:

Typical AI. Charging across a bridge and right into a crossfire of a hundred pila
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

moved
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Hi, Darin. Welcome to the Writers' Study.

Do feel free to add links to the thread for other videos in your series - it's always great to have new things to watch*.

*Obviously, new things to read are also good. (Wouldn't want to put off any prospective authors. )

Many thanks to Maiar93 for fixing the link and to Flinn for bringing Darin to us.

Thanks a lot guys! Here's the latest episode, just released today!

You do it by doing the and only adding the part after watch?v='

So

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Thanks, Maiar93!

Just in case it helps, Darin, what you actually type into your post should look like this:

[youtube]DM4QfmahHnw[/youtube]

(That's the code for the video in Maiar93's post above mine.)

Unfortunately, the BB code page is a bit complicated on this subject, because there are a couple of slight variations listed. The one shown above (which is the one Maiar93 used) is the one you want. With videos, it's often a good idea to click on "go advanced" when you're typing a post, so that you can preview it to check the youtube link works before you actually post.

I'll try to do more updating here

Looks like Darin is finally finding his feet with the Rome 1 engine. It's all downhill from here... for the AI

He's still not pronouncing Massilia right though.

good video you have made
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Thanks!

And how is the correct way to pronounce Massilia? Oh and if that bothers you, wait till I try saying some of the other names

Mass-ilia. The way you say it now sounds more like Marcilla it's like the name of a princess.

That would explain a lot of the fighting though...

I guess you could also just call it what it's nowadays called - Marseilles.

Alright, I'll try and pronounce it correctly in future!

New episode out today with a new microphone!

Your friendly neighbourhood pronunciation nazi will keep on helping you, don't you worry.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Great battle description, I like the way that you comment on the effectiveness of tactics and units (including comparisons between the strengths of your army and the opposing army). Of course, Roman infantry are reliable, but here your elephants seem to be your strongest unit, as you said.

Thanks! I hope my descriptions will continue to be of that quality.

There's been been a few updates, this being the latest update of the Northern Offensive:

Latest episode just came out today:

Good update! Your victory against the army from Britannia shows how effective Early Legionary Cohorts can be. I find your comments about tactics (needing to keep an eye on your left flank as the Britons tried to outflank you through the woods) and strategy (how you plan to use your armies to take Britannia, taking Londinium quickly) helpful. I agree, the two armies approaching each other through the wood at the start of the second battle is a nicely cinematic moment. Again, you provide useful comments on tactics, commenting on the checkerboard pattern of your units and showing how you waited until the Britons committed themselves to charging before sending your infantry to counter-charge. I noticed that you can now recruit Urban Cohorts, that sounds important, if the Roman civil war is getting close. (When playing the Julii in some campaigns, my armies relied mostly on Early Legionaries when the civil war started, which was a problem because the other Roman families were using more advanced units). Looking forward to more!

Thanks a lot for the kind words Alwyn! I really hope to improve even more as the series continues

And also, here is the next episode!

I like the way the you explain your unit deployment and tactics in the first battle against the Britons and you then speed up the routine battle in Spain. This maintains the exciting pace of your video as you anticipate the march on Rome, moving elite units back towards Italy as you get ready for the Roman civil war. it's a shame that not everything which you wanted to show was captured, but the result is an engaging episode with a brisk pace which works well for me. Whether you are writing text or posting videos, I think that short updates can be useful because they make it easy for people to get into your AAR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast