Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Small Orthodox corner

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Small Orthodox corner

So favouritism can go both ways as can jealousy therefore i would say that anyone who claims never to have been jealous of another is telling porkies.
    Nobody made such a claim.

Having no children yourself then you'll not know how easy it is to have to be a judge when disciplining children
    Not sure that is a relevant point

In any case Morticia Iunia Bruti is right I would say family that has strong sibling jealousy is doing it wrong. Your sexist take on who a parent might favor (or a child the parent) is an odd Freudian view i had not expected.

But that is beside the point the Bible allegory in question is not about parenting (note we no nothing about the dynamics of the two characters relations with their parents and unnamed sister wives(*)) but about showing pastoralism is better than the evils of urban life.

* gotta admit if you take the Bible literally you can't knock the LDS fringe for the sister wife thing or polygamy in general.
    Last edited by conon394; July 04, 2022 at 02:27 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Some jealousy is normal, but so much jealousy, that you kill your sibling is unnatural and obviously a parental failure.

I don't like "disciplining" parents, most people and kids prefer leading by example, not by belt.

But as Conon said, its much likely a allegory, how good is pastoral life in comparison to a farmer urban life.

Not astonishing as the Hebrews were a semitic, nomadic tribe living from lifestock. So their god is mirroring their culture.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Not astonishing as the Hebrews were a semitic, nomadic tribe living from lifestock. So their god is mirroring their culture.
    Similarity when being naked is suddenly exposed to be a thing of shame. God specifically replaces Eve and Adams plant based clothing with animal skins - again a nod to animal based nomad life not agriculture and cities.
    Last edited by conon394; July 04, 2022 at 03:02 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Some jealousy is normal, but so much jealousy, that you kill your sibling is unnatural and obviously a parental failure.

I don't like "disciplining" parents, most people and kids prefer leading by example, not by belt.

But as Conon said, its much likely a allegory, how good is pastoral life in comparison to a farmer urban life.

Morticia Iunia Bruti,

The thing is that since the fall of Adam and Eve man has been killing man so what were the reasons? If jealousy is not the reason by far I don't know what is. Every revolution in history can be put down to jealousy, every have nots wanting what the do haves have. If parenting was the answer then the child with no toy wouldn't be jealous of the child who has one and that inside families never mind elsewhere.

As for leading by example, why is it that many kids today see their parent or parents as drunks or junkies because that's not leading by example. A bad parent becomes one because he or she has no self discipline and we are all guilty of that somewhere along the line. It's the reason that God gave us the Ten Commandments in order that we could learn how to be good human beings as well as good parents. So discipline is good if only it is applied equally aptly put by Jesus when He said, " Love your neighbour as yourself," as being the second most important of the Commandments.

Allegory or not the Jew has been and still is of the most gifted people on the planet. Despite being hated by so many all over the world they survive, why? Because they are God's chosen people, that's why?

Allegory or not the Jew has been and still is of the most gifted people on the planet.
    Very perplexing statement.

Despite being hated by so many all over the world they survive, why? Because they are God's chosen people, that's why?
    Lots of people like to think of themselves that way. Besides as you say they are not anymore that would the born again...
    Last edited by conon394; July 06, 2022 at 12:13 AM.

Praeses

I was treated with equal love by both parents along with my six siblings, and I will be damned if I tolerate anyone falsely smearing my parents. Soeak only for yourself and what you have seen, and please don't distract from Conons valjd criticism by glibly suggesting "everyone does it". Its notvtrue, and even if it were its irrelevant. Unjust behaviour from God as is clearly described in the bible pokes a fat hole in claims He is perfedct or just.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Cyclops,

And you know that your parents were never jealous of anything never mind what your siblings ever felt? How is that? I am speaking for myself and what I have seen and experienced for the seventynine and a half years I have been on this planet.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Sir Adrian,

Wise words yet who is listening? Thank God that He is in charge of that.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Sir Adrian,

Wise words yet who is listening? Thank God that He is in charge of that.
    In orthodoxy this is HERECY.
    In Orthodoxy God is love and Forgiveness , He does not need to sent WARNINGS to anyone like Protestants believe or the so called Evagelists!
    If God needed to warn Humans he would not become a Human Him Self showing that its never too late to follow the right path. When i wrote that Germanic languages can not fully translate complicated meanings ,i had a penalty but before someone takes it as offence lets see what Sin means in the western world and the word amartia means in Orthodoxy. Too few know that Amartia means i lose my target (originaly use by archers). In Orthodoxy when a human is in Amartia (sin on English) means tthat simply lost his path and he can always turn back to find the right path to his goal that is Theosis (if yoi translate in english Theosis word the result will be "equal to God)...But In Orthodoxy the meaning is more complicated.
    I know that is hard to understand espesialy those that do now know Greek language well (including Greeks) but read this example :
    AS you can realise is that what in the video is saying is pure Herecy. God does not punish people. He LOVES HUMANS SO MUCH that became one of THEM to show how much He values their exitance.
    So fanatic so called Orhodox priests are simply not Orthodox in reality but only by name!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

If you see your children doing something stupid, do you warn them to stop or do you say "I love them so I will them hurt themselves"?

How do you know you have lost path if you are not warned?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    If you see your children doing something stupid, do you warn them to stop or do you say "I love them so I will them hurt themselves"?

How do you know you have lost path if you are not warned?
    You tplace God in the same level of a Human. If God wanted to warns us do you believe that He would sucrifice His Creation to do this? Only a God of Hate does this. If you think you are a Christian then your God doe not warn you but He loves you by giving you the FREE WILL of your actions and ofcourse the responsibillity of their results. God is Freedom , Love and Forgiveness. If you are a Protestant please do not mess your prospective with the Orthodox Dogma or with some lunitics fanatic that claim that are Orthodox and preach hate!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

A loving God wants to correct those who stray, not let them stray even further.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    God does not punish people. He LOVES HUMANS SO MUCH that became one of THEM to show how much He values their exitance.
    God is love, but he's not only love and he surely isn't fallen man's idea of love. God is also just, and he'll punish the wicked according to their deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 25
    44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude 1
    5 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. ... 7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Thessalonians 1
    6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might 10 on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed.
    Last edited by Prodromos; July 13, 2022 at 08:38 PM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

It is written, " For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on Him shall not perish but haver everlasting life." So, what was the world that God loved? May I suggest that this world was the one before the fall of man and that He sent His Son into it not just to save sinners from out of it but rather also to bring in a new creation figured by the garden in Eden, the old creation being passed away. We see that the key in the word is that something is going to perish which John reveals to be all creation in His vision other than those born again of the Spirit of God. So the only part of all creation not to perish are all those that believeth on Him, Jesus Christ God's only begotten Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    God is love, but he's not only love and he surely isn't fallen man's idea of love. God is also just, and he'll punish the wicked according to their deeds.
    My friend you did not writen the entire part of Mathew's Gospel. The Judgement is not a punishment in this life. Its a separation of hypocrits to those that were deserved to be in heaven even if they did not know about it.
    Both human parties made the same questions...You forgot to write God's answer.

Anthoniusll,

It is written that " all fall short of the glory of God," and that no-one deserves to be in heaven because of that so how did a sinner get saved before Jesus Christ came into the world to pay the price of their sin? It is written that God put to their accounts that certain people were righteous before Him. In other words they were saved on account that the blood of Jesus Christ would clear their debt for their sin which He did at Calvary. Ignorance cannot and will not ever see a person get into heaven, why? Because the Gospel is the key here. It is the power of God unto salvation so anyone who does not know of Jesus Christ, Whose Gospel we talk of, will never see heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Anthoniusll,

It is written that " all fall short of the glory of God," and that no-one deserves to be in heaven because of that so how did a sinner get saved before Jesus Christ came into the world to pay the price of their sin? It is written that God put to their accounts that certain people were righteous before Him. In other words they were saved on account that the blood of Jesus Christ would clear their debt for their sin which He did at Calvary. Ignorance cannot and will not ever see a person get into heaven, why? Because the Gospel is the key here. It is the power of God unto salvation so anyone who does not know of Jesus Christ, Whose Gospel we talk of, will never see heaven.
    I repeat and please do not force me to write it again. It depend in what language you read the Holly Books.
    An easy exampe XP the famous symbol ..In Western tradition the english translation domaniates "With that you shall conquer" . GOD never encourages humans to conquer other humans. The Hellenic translations En Tuto Nica means "with this you will win". But bioth are incorrect. XP are two words Christos Roosimi that means Christ Protects me! See? If in a such simple example that are too much confusion what do you expect in more complicated meanings?

Anthoniusll,

As I've said before, when the original Jews were converted their meetings were at the Temple or a synagogue so they would never have spoken in Greek rather Hebrew or Aramaic. At Pentecost when these Jews from other parts met they heard the disciples speak in their own dialects meaning they didn't hear Greek rather their pronounciation of Hebrew or Aramaic. For example here in Scotland a guy from Glasgow finds it difficult to understand an Aberdonian just as me from Glasgow finds it hard to understand my wife who is from Portknockie when she meets up with her relatives in that place. The thing is though that in synagogues where Jews worship the language was/is Hebrew as we Gentiles are still the unclean ones so why would they alter that even today?

The apostles, those who knew how anyway, spoke mainly greek when they preached simply because Greek was the lingua franca of that part of the world. The new testament was written in Greek and Aramaic from the start. Plenty of the letters of Paul were written in Greek.

When the apostle Andrew spread Christianity as far north as Ukraine and converted the people of my country to the word of Jesus, he spoke and wrote greek.

When I Greek I mean Koine, not modern Greek which is like a completely different language.