Thread: Install help for a complete idiot.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Install help for a complete idiot.

Pretty much exactly what it says, I need help, but first allow me to tell you the facts of life;

I have read pretty much everything I can on installing it, including the way given by the EB team, I have a Steam version of Kingdoms and I have attempted to move the Kingdoms/EB install to a seperate folder.

In general nothing seems to work, it's either unable to find the Kingdoms.exe, or the Medieval.exe, or just plain wont work; I think the closest I ever got was with a previous version where I got to the start screen, chose a faction, and then the entire thing CTD'd on me over and over again.

So, what I am asking for is for someone to please give a simple, step-by-step, instruction as to how I should install it correctly - yes, I understand I should go and look at the EB thread again, but I'm a simpleton and just need each step in plain English I.E. Where I should install it (with an example path...for example), perhaps even an instruction video, how to produce a Kingdom.exe if it insists that there isn't one.

Apologies anyway for posting this guff, I didn't really want to, but I'm at the end of my tether and just need quick and plain instructions on how to install the latest version of EBII on a Steam version of Medieval II with the Kingdoms DLC.

Anyone?

Default Re: Install help for a complete idiot.

hm well there is step by step in the 2.2b release thread's first post. first things first: did you move your steam install to outside of program files (x86)? here's the quick guide:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
    2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
    3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders andSteam.exe
    4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example:\Games\Steam\
    5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

i just moved my folder to C. so, after uninstalling EB2 and installing 2.2b, my path is: C:\steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\ebii

is everything on a fresh install? i know it's a bother but just totally wipe eb2 and m2tw from steam, and reinstall, nice and clean

Default Re: Install help for a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Pretty much exactly what it says, I need help, but first allow me to tell you the facts of life;

I have read pretty much everything I can on installing it, including the way given by the EB team, I have a Steam version of Kingdoms and I have attempted to move the Kingdoms/EB install to a seperate folder.

In general nothing seems to work, it's either unable to find the Kingdoms.exe, or the Medieval.exe, or just plain wont work; I think the closest I ever got was with a previous version where I got to the start screen, chose a faction, and then the entire thing CTD'd on me over and over again.

So, what I am asking for is for someone to please give a simple, step-by-step, instruction as to how I should install it correctly - yes, I understand I should go and look at the EB thread again, but I'm a simpleton and just need each step in plain English I.E. Where I should install it (with an example path...for example), perhaps even an instruction video, how to produce a Kingdom.exe if it insists that there isn't one.

Apologies anyway for posting this guff, I didn't really want to, but I'm at the end of my tether and just need quick and plain instructions on how to install the latest version of EBII on a Steam version of Medieval II with the Kingdoms DLC.

Anyone?
    There's a couple of options for getting EBII outside of your Program Files (x86) folder, it sounds like you've got Steam in Program Files, and are trying to install M2/EBII outside the Steam folder, then get Steam to find and use the game. In order to do this add a new Library folder outside Program Files, copy paste your M2TW folder into the new Library, then delete local content inside Program Files and "reinstall" M2TW, selecting the new Library as install location, which should cause Steam to verify the copy-pasted folder instead of downloading new files. (scroll down to the bit titled "Option Two", I can't recommend downloading "steam mover", mostly because I've never used it and haven't looked into it)

If you can't get this to work, you can move your entire steam installation out of Program Files. I did this before I knew you could get Steam to access games installed in multiple drives/folder locations, and it took hours because I had a lot of games to move.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31