Thread: Running Rome Total War on Windows 10

Icon8 Running Rome Total War on Windows 10

Hi there all,

After discovering how good modded games are i decided to go back and play Rome 1 and download some mods. After installing Rome i get this message "Rome: Total War failed to find DirectX 9, which is required to run the game. Please reinstall Direct X".

I am using windows 10 and i have the steam gold edition of the game and i have directx 11

Now, i found a post on these forums about this but it was inconclusive. There is a workaround by running the game once (even though it crashes), and then editing the preferences.txt and changing anti aliasing to OFF. However, doing so means the game simply doesnt look as good - I really want to play Rome Total realism but the lack of anti aliasing means you just dont get the quality i want.

Things i have tried,

Clean install multiple times of Rome total war.
    Clean reinstall of rome total realism.
    Downloading a part of direct x9 as directed by the post i found on these forums - this actually made things worse as now whether anti aliasing is on or off, i get the same error message as above stated.
    Verifying integrity of game cache will not do anything.

This is merely a suggestion as i only have a rudimentary understanding of computers, but it seems to me that even though i probably have the correct files Rome is not accessing them, possibly identifying the right files and then copying in to the Rome folder could work?

All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!

Default Re: Running Rome Total War on Windows 10

Also, after having a look through the files of my other total war games, i can see that both empire and napolean have a folder called "redist" with directx files inside, and medieval 2 has a "dxsetup" folder, also with direct x files inside, it seems that steam (typical) has not provided the correct directx files that it should have. If anyone knows where i could find them, or if someone could send these files to me i would be immensely grateful.

Thanks again

Go to the link in my signature.
    It helps.
    Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

Thank you for your help, it is working. hopefully you can indulge me a little more. I am looking to get either europa babarorum or RTR VII, which is better in your opinion? Also, i know there are specific launch option texts you have to write for running these mods, does that mean i have to delete the "-ne" and will the still work?

Thanks