Thread: Custom tiles on the battlemap versus the strategy map

Default Custom tiles on the battlemap versus the strategy map

I've been fooling around with the Battle Editor to preplace some forts, and while doing so I found that the 3D modeller had designed many levels of fort configurations. The forts can have no walls, a wooden wall, and a stone wall. Then as they advance in difficulty, then they can have watchtowers, arrowtowers, and ballista towers. And yes, the dreaded boiling oil.

Now this is curious because as far as I know, the fort line in the descr_strat can be only very simple in the Regions section, with the word fort followed by the x y coordinates as the location. Or you can preplace watchtowers. But no one has mentioned levels of forts. It's rather like the stone fort variations in MTW2 that can be preplaced in the descr_strat there.

Likewise, I know that based upon the descr_culture, you can specify the model of the fort and the cost and the strat cas model that gets placed on the campaign map. Usually that's the standard fort depiction, but some have placed villages instead of watchtowers. I presumed that was merely cosmetic before.

It seems like one could by mixing and matching place any cas model with variants in the descr_culture file. I'm curious if anyone has tried this. It might be that the descr_strat will insist upon seeing "fort" as the proper syntax, and so it might be necessary to copy and rename some residences so they can be preplaced in the descr_strat.

Anyways, when you create a custom tile, how does it look on the campaign map? Is it just blank and people stumble upon it when and if someone manages to resolve combat on that tile? Or is there an indication that something is there?

I'm interested in making a submod for Ran no Jidai. There were far more fiefs (han) in Sengoku era Japan. Usually 350 at any one time, but of course there's the 200 settlement limit. And I've heard that one can only have two custom tiles in a region. But I'm wondering if I can use custom tiles to recreate that something is there to indicate some of the famous fiefs in history without adding in those as settlements?

The Battle Editor has two cryptic parameters. One is population and the other is tax level. I'm very interested in how setting those then "reports" to the files for finances, and if it then could be a way to add income or even kingdom size.

When making a custom tile, the editor allows the insertion of "ambient settlements" while also adding in major settlements. If these are nameable and show up in the battle map and the campaign map, then it might also be a way to display historical information at that map coordinate.

I think the standard idea is merely adjusting the elevation of the land, and the plane upon which the battlemap model sits. And that is doable. And since you can place some as ambient settlements, in effect no different than the cropland ambients, then multiple forts might be tiered as ambients, with the highest being the actual place that is working and where combat is ultimately resolved.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 05, 2016 at 05:11 PM.