Thread: Testing possible marriage fix

Default Testing possible marriage fix

One of the (thankfully few) problems I've seen some folks have with this mod is is family members not getting married. This is problematic for RPers trying to keep the royal family alive, because if they don't get married they can't have kids and the family line dies out. From what I can tell, the problem stems from the way marriage works in Medieval II, as explained in this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-presented-bug

If I'm understanding that correctly, marriages are offered based on a priority going from top left on the family tree to bottom right. From my experience thusfar, I have also found that women in the family tree are offered marriages in the same way as the men, meaning if a woman has priority at the moment the men will never get a marriage offer. That may not be the case for everybody, but that's what I've found so far.

So I've decided to take one of the solutions suggested by that thread and test it.

The solution basically boils down to this: in the descr_campaign_db.xml file, I have set daughters_retirement_age to 5, meaning daughters should basically be removed from the family tree the second they turn 5 years old, and are thus ineligible for marriage (and allow FM's to have more male children). The idea behind this is simply that if you don't have adult daughters, there will only be males eligible for marriage, and the royal line won't die out just because everybody's stuck as bachelors. It also (hopefully) reduces the problem of generals being limited to 4 children, since at least those children will all be male and become generals.

I know this isn't an ideal solution (feels hella sexist), but it's the only solution I've heard of for the wonky family tree mechanics. For RP purposes you could say that the daughters wound up marrying people who were of little political importance, and thus wouldn't need to be represented in game. Or something.

Anyway, I'm testing this solution in my current game. As an aside, I also set the "coming of age" variable to 14, so son's should become generals at 14; I don't think this will be a problem, but I figured I'd mention it for completeness's sake.

Currently it is turn 81 in an Epiros-to-Wales migration game. I have 7 generals and 2 provinces: Syracuse and Moridumon. So far all of my generals have been married, even though I dropped to 2 provinces by turn 20, and about three of them have come of age since then. They also continued to have kids, some of which were daughters, and removed from the family tree entirely the second they turned 5. The game seems to treat them as if they never existed, at least so far. The youngest son is 9, so we'll see if he gets married when he comes of age. I know that the game likes limiting the number of generals to below the number of provinces, so we'll see what happens when he grows up.

Tiro

Default Re: Testing possible marriage fix

One "issue" i see here with this solution is that you wont have "new blood" ( ethnicities) in your family, for instance if you are KH and you have one family branch spartitas, another from athenas and another from rhodos... those will be all the ethnicities youll have the whole game. New ones arrive to your family with marriages from the daughters so..... Dunno if it is just an "issue" or a problem.. KH needs 4 archons for his reforms for instance, dunno if it could be 2 of the same city/province/zone.

Regards:

Melvi

That's true, but so far as I know you could still get other ethnicities from adoption or "man of the hour" things. You would just have to be willing to "prune" the family tree from time to time by having excess generals of non-royal blood killed. I've never played KH, so I don't know if the marriage problem even exists for factions that use the Teutonic setup. I've heard it's a big problem with Seleucids specifically. I probably should have started with them honestly, so maybe I'll test them next.

No factions use the Teutonic mechanics any more. It's thoroughly broken, offering few FMs.

Rilder's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by melvidh View Post
    One "issue" i see here with this solution is that you wont have "new blood" ( ethnicities) in your family, for instance if you are KH and you have one family branch spartitas, another from athenas and another from rhodos... those will be all the ethnicities youll have the whole game. New ones arrive to your family with marriages from the daughters so..... Dunno if it is just an "issue" or a problem.. KH needs 4 archons for his reforms for instance, dunno if it could be 2 of the same city/province/zone.

Regards:

Melvi
    Hmm maybe not have the retirement age set so extreme as 5 years old but maybe like 20-25 so that you get a few years of being able to get new blood but they don't block male family members from getting marriages for too long if you don't want to just start random dynasties in your family tree.