Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DX12

Default WARHAMMER will also be DX12 compatible or........"cards are not supported"

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...dated-24-06-16

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Optimisation_Blog

"We’re pleased to confirm that Total War: WARHAMMER will also be DX12 compatible, and our graphics team has been working in close concert
    with AMD’s engineers on the implementation. This will be patched in a little after the game launches,
    but we’re really happy with the DX12 performance we’re seeing so far, so watch this space!"

- Consideration on the implication of "AMD’s engineers" as a Nvidia card gamer (atm).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,5.html

"Now in the benchmarks you're going to notice that some cards show a '0' result. These cards did not work, our benchmark is DX12 and
    the Kepler based GPUs like the 780 Ti as well as AMD GCN 1.0 cards are not supported."

Can anyone confirm if CA is Patching DX12 which will include the Nvidia 700 generation cards or have I purchased a software product on the incorrect understanding
    that a WIN10 DX12 compliant user will be excluded from DX12 in Total War Warhammer?

I am to much the hardware-software novice to understand the purchase ramifications or the patching implications from the "generalized" statements from CA
    and other web information sources.

Your thoughts and assistance or a statement from CA would be much appreciated.

Default Re: WARHAMMER will also be DX12 compatible or........"cards are not supported"

DX12 patch should work with 7xxx series NVIDIA cards. Those cards might not support every DX12 feature used in TW-WH but they should be able to benefit from most of the DX12 advantages, like multi-threaded communication between CPU and GPU. The selective enabling/disabling of DX12 features depending on the GPU might be one of the major reasons why the patch hasn't been released yet because that might be still work in progress.

Edit: It seems like that NVIDIA hasn't released official DX12 drivers for Fermi yet.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; June 26, 2016 at 04:51 AM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: WARHAMMER will also be DX12 compatible or........"cards are not supported"

There's a list on TW wiki about the card currently supported. All AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    There's a list on TW wiki about the card currently supported. All AMD.
    Actually NVIDIA cards are also supported (9x and 10x series only because older cards lack DX12 driver support).

What's not supported on NVIDIA cards is the Async Compute feature which can lead to better GPU utilization and to about 10% more performance. But that's a limitation of the NVIDIA GPU architecture. Their GPUs simply don't have the hardware features for an efficient Async Compute implementation. The 10x added a minimum of hardware for that and can sometimes benefit a little from Async Compute.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default DX12

Any performance gain? Mine just crashes on start (Although I should be able to run it) so I have not gotten to try it yet.

Default Re: DX12

Your warhammer game crashes on start up?
    The problem their is corrupted mods/Mods out of dated, screwed up the warhammer folder.
    Delete all mods and unsub from all mods, and you should be able to run it.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

The game works with DX11 just fine so its a bit odd since my card should be able to run dx12. But I'll try.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Any performance gain? Mine just crashes on start (Although I should be able to run it) so I have not gotten to try it yet.
    Average is lower than dx11 for me but less low fps overall. No serious dip using dx12 compared to dx11.

GTX980, started a new Vampire Counts campaign. Only issue is portraits flicker on occasion.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

GTX 1080 - no mods. Game CTDs every time when I tick the DX12 option. Runs on DX11 fine - except for that damn flickering issue . . .

All NVIDIA cards show less performance in DX12.
    AMD cards gain between 5-40%, in parts due to the lack of optimization in AMD DX11 drivers (lower draw call limit compared to NVIDIA) and in parts to Asynch Compute (not more than 10% I would guess).

The flickering issue is interesting because they actually fixed the flickering in SLI mode, at least in battles. That could be related
    Last edited by A Barbarian; July 01, 2016 at 05:41 AM.

I'm getting a few more FPS, but there was also a crash while loading a battle and the water went partially black for a moment during the AI's turn.

My GPU. Curiously not on CA's list.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Apparently it's a known issue with Nvidia cards - hopefully, it will be fixed soon!

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Apparently it's a known issue with Nvidia cards - hopefully, it will be fixed soon!
    My card its a nvidia 660 GTXOC and option dx12 turning on doesnt work,i dont understand cause my card is on nvidia dx12 compatible list

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    AMD payed them $$$$ NVIDIA didn't... it's as simple as that... they will never optimize the game for nvidia!
    Last edited by Flinn; July 04, 2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: removed off topic disruptive comment

Nvidia still better :p

HouND_DoG's Avatar Libertus

computer newb here, what exactly does dx12 do that dx11 doesn't? I have Nvidia gtx950 and while I can use dx12 I lose about 4 fps, nothing much but is there a reason to use it over dx11 ATM?

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by HouND_DoG View Post
    computer newb here, what exactly does dx12 do that dx11 doesn't? I have Nvidia gtx950 and while I can use dx12 I lose about 4 fps, nothing much but is there a reason to use it over dx11 ATM?
    It's supposed to bring a huge fps gain, however CA don't care at all for nvidia and for AMD they kinda fail because you can't teach an old dog new tricks and they have an old game engine that is a pain to work with when it comes to implementing DX12. In the end it's all been a marketing stunt to get more sales because it's one of the very few games that support DX12 atm

shogon's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by HouND_DoG View Post
    DX12 might give us Nvidia users lower frames, but in my experience DX12 has made the game smoother than it was in dx11. I experienced the same thing in Ashes of the Singularity. I might get lower frames in DX12, but the smoothness gained is worth the slight loss in frames. It might be different for you, but I can notice the change on my 144 Hz monitor.
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

I gained a 10% increase with my evga 970 ftw edition. Went from 42 frames to 46 frames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast