Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Diplomacy Guide

Default Re: Diplomacy Guide

@CountMRVHS : I don't think the AI in RTW has to worry about diplomatic reputation, and will exploit opportunities as they arise in a way that would not make sense for the player. I suspect that if RK had had military access in your territories it would not have attacked your settlements, but as it had landed troops in your territory, and encountered lightly defended settlements the AI figures "in for a penny, in for a pound" and goes for it. I would try reloading to before they break the peace and use money or forced diplomacy to give them military access and see if they still try to attack your settlements.

Would you do me the favor of reading @06 in the guide and comparing that to my response to your question about trading settlements above and give some suggestions on how that section could be improved to be more clear, or what is missing. Thank you for your continued help with the guide.

I re-read section 6 in the guide, and it seems perfectly clear - no need to change it, I think.

I found this thread while looking for something else (how to mod RTW so one faction begins as the protectorate of another):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...l-protectorate

It's for M2, but there is some interesting stuff in there about how the AI makes calculations about whether to submit to vassal status: it seems to involve a lot of the features we have already heard about (mostly relative strength), but interestingly I don't see any mention in the code about cash payments. Instead there are references to 'global standing.'

I have read some theorizing that 'global standing' is simply the average of your standing among all the other factions.

Now, we have talked about how RTW and M2 seem to use a similar diplomatic system, with the big difference that M2's system is made more obvious to the player via indications on the diplomacy screen.

If the conditions referenced in the code for M2 are in fact relevant to RTW's system, why is there no mention of the biggest factor involved in getting protectorates in RTW, namely huge cash payments?

My theory is that cash payments are simply a means of increasing that 'global standing' value. It's not so much that the AI wants the cash, but that it takes that much cash to increase your global standing.

The idea that global standing is relevant to acquiring protectorates in RTW is, I think, borne out by the reports of early versions of RTW in which it was very easy to acquire protectorates very early in the game by declaring war on, say, Dacia, and then immediately asking them to submit. No money was needed in these cases, presumably because the 'global standing' of the player's faction had not yet been damaged by years of warfare, trespassing, breaking alliances, etc. My guess is that later patches of RTW addressed that aspect of diplomacy, in turn setting us up for the situation we have today, where you can usually only get a protectorate by shelling out a lot of money.

I wonder if it would be possible to increase your 'global standing' value by giving out lots of smaller payments over the course of a campaign, rather than the one-time huge offer of tens of thousands of mirian that we often use to get protectorates in DoM. That of course assumes that big one-time payments are valued as much as frequent smaller payments.
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; February 20, 2019 at 08:21 AM.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

@CountMRVHS :

I don't think you are far from the mark here. Cash definitely serves the purpose of bridging the gap between what you want and what the AI wants. I cannot think of any way to determine the relationship between a "global standing" and your individual faction standings; or to rule out the possibility they are determined independently.

I do play Warhammer Total War on rare occasions I have the time. In that game there is a "reputation" mechanic, which is independent of your relations with other factions. You can conduct diplomatic actions which only increase your relations with other factions, but which still damage your reputation. Reputation being a measure of your reliability in adhering to diplomatic agreements. It is entirely possible that a similar mechanic is in at play in RTW, but I am inclined to believe that the actual mechanics of RTW diplomacy are more or less the same as in M2.

While giving small amounts over a long period of time may conceivably result in a lower threshold for acquiring protectorates, I don't see how this could be verified; there are too many variables over the long term to ever be sure of the effect. What can be known, definitely, is that you will not get back the many small payments over a long period of time, whereas you will get back almost all of your money from one large payment with the protectorate proposal.

Updated to version 1.2.4. Added to sections @06 and @08. Minor grammatical corrections elsewhere.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Excellent guide! Thanks, Wambat!

Much love and appreciation for this!

Any chance of adding a section on typical AI diplomatic behaviors (rather than just what you can do), like the "groveling" by diplomats that the Vanilla RTW advisor will tell you indicates a coming attack?

Quote Originally Posted by James_Northstar View Post
    the "groveling" by diplomats that the Vanilla RTW advisor will tell you indicates a coming attack?
    It's been so long since I've had advisors turned on that I don't recall this bit of info... do you know what this "groveling" refers to? Is it the habit of AI diplomats to gesture at your settlements but not actually initiate diplomacy? Or is it an AI diplomatic offer that is in your favor?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345