Thread: Supplementary Inspiration

Campidoctor

Default Supplementary Inspiration

Assuming a lot of us here are fans of history, particularly the history of wars and such, particularly the era EBII takes place, I thought it might be nice to share some informational/entertainment sources - books, podcasts, tv shows, movies, whatever - that would enhance our appreciation of the time and place and mod.

I quite enjoy a podcast from (don't call him a historian) Dan Carlin called Hardcore History. And he quite enjoys this particular (and close-enough-to-it) era himself, so has a good bit of episodes dedicated to different aspects of it. Here's a list of those that are either directly or slightly less than directly relevant which some of you might enjoy listening to. They sure help me get in the zone and provide some color/flavor to the already deeply colorful/flavorful descriptions and otherwise written info in the mod itself to make the game more enjoyable and immersive.

-Alexander versus Hitler (cause you know... Alexander)
    -Romancing the Tribes (featuring Gallic king Vercingetorix)
    -Shield of the West (about the Spartans and Athenians and Persians)
    -Darkness Buries the Bronze Age (a bit too early for our timescale, but interesting and big picture relevant nonetheless)
    -Steppe Stories (features "blood-sucking Scythian warriors", so you know it's good)
    -The Macedonian Soap Opera (the aftermath of Alexander leading up to the world map as we know it at the beginning of this mod)
    -Judgement at Nineveh (again a bit back in time, but good stuff about the ancient Assyrians)
    -Punic Nightmares (a three part series, and as direct a relation to our beloved mod as it gets... it's about the Punic Wars!)
    -Addicted to Bondage (talks about slavery through history, and we all love that "enslave" option button don't we!?)
    -Old School Toughness (get your barbarian tough guy roleplay on point)
    -Death Throes of the Republic (massive six part series about the rise and fall of the Roman Republic... need I say more?)
    -King of Kings (the ongoing series, currently two parts released, basically about the things leading up to and probably including what I'll just call "300")

He's got plenty more episodes about other cool stuff, some of the best which include the massive undertakings of multi-part multi-hours-each series Wrath of the Khans (Genghis Khan and his successors, all about the Mongol invasions of the Middle Ages, M2TW lovers!), and the ever so epic Blueprint for Armageddon (the most insane look into World War I you're ever gonna wanna hear). And more!

Far as tv shows, I remember watching and loving Rome on HBO back in the day. Which reminds me, I gotta get on HBO Go and rewatch that shnizzle! The time has come.

Please share your own tidbits on what kind of media we can consume to enhance our enjoyment of consumption of this other type of media we're all loving right now called Europa Barbarorum II!

Default Re: Supplementary Inspiration

A Parthian film.

I enjoy the Masters of Rome series of 7 books by Colleen Mccullough. It's historical fiction covering Roman politics from 110 BC to 27 BC.

Hey, whoa, that's cheating. The mod agreement is to read more history, not hear it.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmaster Rick View Post
    Hey, whoa, that's cheating. The mod agreement is to read more history, not hear it.
    hearing is just reading with your ears

I'm glad I grabbed the torrent for his podcasts. The second he said "Hitler, the most evil person..." I deleted it off of my hard drive.

Sometimes I like to wrap myself in blanket in a manner of toga or gallic cloak.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    Sometimes I like to wrap myself in blanket in a manner of toga or gallic cloak.
    i like you