Thread: White Huns wreck Sassanids - is this a fluke?

Default White Huns wreck Sassanids - is this a fluke?

I haven't played Attila that much since the White Huns were introduced, but was a little shocked in my latest play though (as WRE) to find the Sassanids had been completely devastated by the White Huns.

The ERE (with an aggressive leader) declared war on the Sassanids (maybe around 400 AD) but then started losing ground as usual to the Sassanids, soon joined by Armenia. However, by the time I had sent a WRE army to the Levant (408 AD), the Sassanids were down to 2 provinces. Almost all their territory was desolate - presumably devastated by the White Huns, who were alive and kicking in the Arabian sands. (It wasn't the ERE, their armies were far away.)

This was really surprising to me as the Sassanids, before the White Huns were patched in, tended to be the superpower in Attila. They have a strong core and equally importantly half a dozen or so vassals who serve as attack dogs. I would not have thought a couple of White Hun stacks could do so much damage.

Is my game just a fluke or have other people found the same? How well have the Sassanids coped with the White Huns in your games?

If it is not a fluke, it sounds like the White Huns are a little too strong as they've killed the big threat for the ERE (and perhaps WRE).

Darios's Avatar Slava Darios!

Default Re: White Huns wreck Sassanids - is this a fluke?

Surprisingly, in the 4-5 campaigns I have played since the White Huns were released, I have yet to see the White Huns wreck the Sassanids. Sure, they have wiped out Aria or another one of those vassals in the East initially but ultimately the Sassanids get their game together and deal with the White Huns, defeating them around AD 415 or so. I guess the outcome is just really random, maybe having smth to do with the Sassanids devoting their efforts to the ERE too prematurely. In any regard, I find them to be a wonderful addition to the game, and I'm glad that the Sassanids have something to worry about to their East.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

I played a dozen of campaigns and White Huns never did more that just scratched Sassanids. Sassanids can overwhelm White Huns very easy and from what i have saw in best case WH destroyed around 5 regions.

Do u have any mods installed?
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    Do u have any mods installed?
    No mods, no.

OK, thanks for the quick responses - it sounds like a one-off. (If anything, it's good if there is an element of unpredictability in the game.)

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!
    Citizen

My experience was like Darios' and I had no influence on that side of the map (as Garamantians)

So yes White Huns weaken the Sassanid's by taking out many of its puppets but doesn't finish them off, at least they didn't on my campaign.
    And they died around 415 AD as well.

(Was playing with my "Sharp" overhaul)
    Under the proud patronage of mighty Emperor M

Yeah, I think it's just a rare occurrence. The only time I noticed the White Huns really even doing much was when I was playing ERE and actively fighting the Sassanids myself.

axicup's Avatar Civis

Well, in my ERE campaign White Huns caused the Sassanids some trouble, but not much. Their empire really had no distractions and could defend itself properly (I had a non-aggression pact with the Sassanids and a trade agreement). I may have helped a bit when White Huns started raiding adjacent territories of mine and I could not stand their presence there, so some lessons were taught. You are really lucky to have witnessed such a thing happen in your campaign.

They did quite a number on them in my ERE game, the Sassanids were down to their capital region and 1 province in Ispahan, with Armenia, Media, Makran and Mazun by the time he attacked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Surprisingly, in the 4-5 campaigns I have played since the White Huns were released, I have yet to see the White Huns wreck the Sassanids. Sure, they have wiped out Aria or another one of those vassals in the East initially but ultimately the Sassanids get their game together and deal with the White Huns, defeating them around AD 415 or so. I guess the outcome is just really random, maybe having smth to do with the Sassanids devoting their efforts to the ERE too prematurely. In any regard, I find them to be a wonderful addition to the game, and I'm glad that the Sassanids have something to worry about to their East.
    Completely agree with you on that last bit. It was really a dream come true for CA to add the White Huns to add pressure to the Sassanids like everyone wanted. Have they been making your ERE campaign less stressful and more interesting? Because what I heard is that the Sassanids made it almost impossible to enjoy with all the talks about how many stacks they kept spawning.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

In my ERE campaign the White Huns weakend the Sassanids, so much that they lost many of their satrapies and regions. The White Huns were eventually destroyed, but the Sassanids lost a lot of territory.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Actually in my campaigns the White Huns do almost always wipe out a couple of the Sassanid vassals, though it's rare that the Sassanids themselves get severely weakened by them. The largest factor is probably the decreasing of the garrisons for the Sassanid vassals in the White Hun patch, their garrison armies are truly pathetic.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!
    Citizen

I think problem of the Hordes is that they mostly don't encamp to improve their infrastucture or get enough growth for a new horde
    Even in the start of game, regardless of having high enough population.

I don't think they make new hordes. Even when its easier to.. (With mods)
    Under the proud patronage of mighty Emperor M

In one of my campiangs, White Huns got destroyed -can't remember turn exactly but afair- before 400s.

I want these sassies gone for good. I hope, in my current campiang they smash sassies so hard and they can't even have chance to stand back again. Yea I hate sassanids.

In my Axum campaign, the White Huns are wrecking the Sassanids and their vassals, they also razed 2 Sassanid regions. I guess my contribution helped a bit, since I rushed on taking the spice ports, in the process I destroyed 2 vassals.

I've seen both things happening. In my Himyar campaign, the White Huns were basically destroying the Sassanids, razing Ctesiphon and reducing the Sassanids to the settlement near the Persian gulf. In this campaign, I was allied to the Sassanids.
    In my ERE campaign, however, the Sassanids quickly destroyed the White Huns before 400 AD. I was with war with the Sassanids then, but there was no real fighting until a few years later.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar Aetī Avēas!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Historically the White Huns (Hepthaltites, not actually Huns but the Hua, former vassals of the Rouran) DO wreck the Sassanids and vassalize them in the 5th century.

So I see no problem with this.

The fate of the Sassanids appears to be quite random. In my ERE campaign, the Sassanids are constantly siegeing my eastern cities with their full stacks along with their satrapies. I have not yet seen the White Huns in that campaign, but I'm still in pretty early stage because I want to play the battles myself to inflict max casulties, so it takes time.
    However in my Alan campaign, after pillaging my way around the northern steppes and avoiding other hordes, I settled in Sarmatia Asiatica and sent a spy to scout for the Sassanids so I could establish trade relations with the mighty and rich eastern empire. To my shock I found only death and desolation: The once mighty Sassanid empire, was now a bunch of warring separatist states and former satrapies. The area east of Ctesiphon was a complete wasteland and I couldn't find a trace of the Sassanids. Surprisingly the WH had retreated back to east and suddendly died out a bit north from their original starting position. After a while I noticed that the Himyar had expanded throughout the Arabia and surrounding provinces. It would appear that fighting in multiple fronts was simply too much for the Sassanids. This was around the year 420, as with Alans I had been just going turn after turn since I settled and upgraded my cities.
    Perhaps I should try the Lakhmids next, to better observe the impact the WH have on Sassanids.

Lähetetty minun GT-I9506 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

After this white huns patch, sassanids mostly gets destroyed, or severly weakened, since they don't rebuild desolated regions without mods. Though this means that ERE is the supreme power who can go against you freely, so at least they are late game challenge.
    Still, ERE campaigns became much easier thx WH. I kinda miss Sassanids spam stacks + vassals attacking you. Sure it was unfair, but it gave a good challenge. In that run I had to send suicide squad via red sea to Sassanid lands while holding their advance.