Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contribute an Unit Description for MKTW!

Default Re: Contribute an Unit Description for MKTW!

Quote Originally Posted by emi View Post
    "A horse" A horse! A suitable amount of coins for a horse!"
    SOLD!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(surprisingly, all of that long-winded description still fits the box)

Quote Originally Posted by hessam View Post
    I agree with Zsimmortal. Some of your short descriptions are really good. Nice mix of descriptive, exclamative, and allusive statements.
    You are making me blush with these compliments I just thought to myself, that if this is the only way I can contribute to the mod (my modding skill barely able to change db), I'd better give it my best shot! Again, just ask me on this thread if you want some other descriptions for Italian factions (I could do other factions, but my historical knowledge about foreign armies is not that extensive, so I might make mistakes).

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    SOLD!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(surprisingly, all of that long-winded description still fits the box)
    I love you And I'm really happy everything fit, since I love explaining a unit's history.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Nubian Archers: High quality archers equipped with short composite bows. According to Ambroise of Normandy, a chronicler of the Third Crusade, their role in battle was to "swarm upon the host, and closely press the assault, with neither cease nor rest."

FANTI DA MAR:

"Viva San Marco!"
    These words were brought on the battlefield by one of the most elite corps of the Republic of Venice, the Fanti da Mar.
    Created by Doge Enrico Dandolo with the porpouse of capturing Constantinople during the 4th Crusade by land and sea, they soon became a permanent regiment in the Republic's army.
    It's men were recruited all over the Republic territories and were used as a stable militia in its overseas colonies, from the Dalmatian coasts to the island of Cyprus.
    It is said that their courage and vocation to Venice were so deep and profound that they were sometimes called the "Fedelissimi di San Marco" (San Marco's most faithful) and their combat skills were so praised that they were used to accomplish high-risk tasks, most likely naval landings and sea operations.
    Their only lack? Their discipline.
    They used to wear blue/white/red clothes, a red Brigandine, an italian Barbute with nasal protection, a feather on the front of their helmet, a Tabulaccio or Rotella shield, a Mazzapicchio or an Azza (both similar to a warhammer), perfect weapons to pierce enemy plate armour.

Good day to you all! Since I had some free time I decided to try with the roster of the Republic of Genoa, I hope you will like them as you liked Venice's
    P.S. some units overlap with Venice (e.g. mounted crossbowmen, berrovieri, arcieri, ecc.), so I didn't do them.

Dismounted Guelf men-at-arms
    Short: "We fight for His Holiness the Pope! Let those imperial heretics taste the faith in our steel!"
    Long: "At the beginning of the XIII sec. the Holy Roman Empire and the Papacy fought over the control of the Italian peninsula: as such, most Italian cities divided into two factions: Ghibellines, which supported the Imperial claims over Northern Italy, and Guelfs, which instead fought to defend the Pope from Imperial interference. The situation was however much more complex, as many cities joined one side or the other in order to gain influence or preserve their power: as such, betrayals and sudden changes in allegiance happened frequently, a typical Italian fashion at the time. These men fight for the Pope, and are in change supported by the Guelf èlites: as such they can afford good armour and weapons, and with their training they can easily defeat any Imperial traitor!"

General's bodyguard
    Short: "Fighting is much safer than trading in the Italian city-states: at least you can see where the danger comes from!"
    Long: "As the more famous Republic of Venice, the Republic of Genoa is ruled by a "Doge", elected for life by the most prominent merchant families. Genoa's political life, however, wasn't as "serene" as Venice, and civil strife and economical rivalry caused the death or exile of many Doges and prominent politicians. As such, the task that befalls on Genoese bodyguards is much heavier than their foreign counterparts, since they have to protect their general from both friend and foe! Genoese bodyguards are highly trained and equipped with the most finely crafted weapons and armours the Republic can pay (and the Republich is very, very rich). Still, their most valued quality is their unyielding loyalty, which brings them to throw themselfes between their liege and any coming danger, sacrificing their lives if necessary."

Schioppettari (handgunners)
    Short: "Aiming is useless: the noise and the smell will make the enemy flee anyway"
    Long: "The schioppo is one of the earliest individual firearms; it was also called "cannone a mano" (hand-cannon) for the weight and dimension the first model, which made it very difficult to use. Their role in battle is not to kill, but instead to instill fear and panic: the smell will scare horses, forcing even the most fearless knights to remain poweless as their stallions simply turn tail and run, and the noise of bullets passing near one's head, combined with the screams of the wounded and the fear of not seeing what hit them, will swiftly destroy the morale of even the most elite infantrymen."

Pavise Crossbowmen
    Short: "Genoa's most priced merchandise is not spices or gems, but its crossbowmen"
    Long: "Genoese crossbowmen were among the most renowned mercenaries of the time: they were trained and equipped by the Republic, one company always acting as the personal botyguard of the Doge, and showed great professionality, since their reputation directly reflected upon their motherland. Their strict adherence to the terms of the contract had however a negative side: a legend tells that a Genoese company, hired to fight till sunset, fought with honour until sunset, and then left precisely the moment the sun desappeard, even though the battle was still going! Any foreign nation which needlessly endangered or wasted a crossbowmen company was banned from any negotiation with Genoa. In battle, Genoese crossbowmen rain death upon the enemy with their crossbows, finely crafted by the best smiths of the city, and are easily recognised for their "pavese", a great shield decorated with the image of a patron saint or the Red Cross of Genoa, carried upon the shoulders: while reloading, a crossbowman turns his body, presenting the shield to the enemy, and so protecting himself from enemy fire. For their personal protection, they are protected by medium armour, and are quite proficient in the use of the sword."

Zaffones (both mounted and dismounted)
    Short: "Use fire against fire, even if it burns you"
    Long: "Zaffones is an ancient Italian derogatory term, indicating bandits and marauders who frequently plundered farms and small fillages, since in the Europe of the time there was no police or any other local defence force. Usually, they were hunted like ferocious beasts (wich they resembled for their vicious ways), but in times of war they were higly priced for their fearlessness and ferocity, and were used to strike fear in the local population, pillaging, murdering and raping anyone and anything they could. Due to their role of fast-hitting infantry or cavalry, they are lightly armoured, but wield fearsome weapons such as spiked maces, which they use to inflict grievous wounds upon anyone unlucky enough to stand against them. Even if they are well trained, they are no professionals, and will quickly lose their advantage against regular well-equipped forces."

Condottieri (both mounted and dismounted)
    Short: "Today we fight for Genoa, tomorrow who knows?..."
    Long: "Since Italian city-states could not field huge armies such as France or England, they heavily relied on mercenaries: the most renowned mercenaries of the time were the "condotte". A condotta was a small but perfectly functional army, with infantry, archers, cavalry, and even cannons. They were led by a "condottiero" (the word comes from latin "ducere", meaning " to lead", and is still used in Italian to indicate military leaders and commanding figures), who negotiated with local authorities the price for their services (usually condottieri were loyal to the contract, since none would have hired a condottiero without honour). Condottieri were usually charismatic leaders and cunning generals, since men joined a condotta only if the condottiero was worthy of their service (and able to pay...), and were quick to leave an inept commander. Many condottieri came to fight mainly for just one city, and obtained lands and titles from it for their services, some even becoming its ruler: the most famous example is Francesco Sforza, a "capitano di ventura" (term used to indicate specifically a great leader of a condotta), who for his service for Milan was granted the hand of the only daughter of the last Visconti, becoming Duke of Milan after his death.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Very nice unit_descr

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Very nice unit_descr
    You know, for someone that doesnt have the game, but have lots of time to keep eye on this forum, why don't you try writing unit descriptions?
    You're certainly willing and impassioned enough to write long posts with big paragraphs. You might say your English might be not that good, but why not try to write? Consider it a practice as well.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

You are right! Thank you!

Tiro

Could you please tell me what is the limit of letters/symbols in the unit description box? I would like to help with Georgian units.

"Help, Help! I am being oppressed!" - Every peasant unit

"Oi, peazaant, where iz your master?" -Every French Knight

"Filthy peasants, know your place" -Noble Knights

"I saw a goat's poop this morning, it looked like you" -A random Viking

The_Culverin's Avatar Civis

That must be a pretty old viking.

You look like a cat but you smell like a dog! -Butch the Bully

Quote Originally Posted by Levan View Post
    Could you please tell me what is the limit of letters/symbols in the unit description box? I would like to help with Georgian units.
    Not sure. Don't worry too much about it, just write what you want to tell. If its too long, it can always be shortened. However, I'd like to keep it only 3-4 sentence long; with the first sentence being the quotation and the rest the historical background.

Good day to you all! I have prepared some descriptions for the Kingdom of Sicily: I hope you will like it! Since some units overlap with other italian states' units I already made, I will not repeat them

King Frederick II
    Short: "King of Sicily and soon-to-be Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, the world shall kneel in awe before the "stupor mundi", or hide in fear!"
    Long: "Frederick II is the son of Henry VI, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, and Costanza d'Altavilla, only daughter (and thus heir) of the last King of Sicily; following his father's death he first became King of Sicily, and with the death of the newly crowned emperor, Otto IV, he united both kingdoms under his rule as a "personal union", meaning that the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdom of Sicily were separate states, coincidentially ruled by the same person. Skilled general, clever diplomat and politician, and patron of literature and figurative arts, Frederick was nicknamed "stupor mundi", meaning "world's marvel", for the ability he showed in everything he did. Considering Sicily his true homeland, he ruled his empire from the Sicilian city of Palermo, and transformed southern Italy into a hub of knowledge and trade, bringing those lands a prosperity unseen from the Roman times, with the help of a loyal and competent administration and an adoring population. The same men who led the administration also founded the famous "scuola siciliana", the sicilian school of poetry, alternating between legal counsel and sonnets or endecasyllabes: for this reason his court was known as the "corte dei miracoli", the court of wonders, and it comprised even a "serraglio", the ancestor of modern-day zoo, full of exotic beasts. As much as he loved Sicily, he utterly ignored Germany, leaving the always quarreling german nobles free to do whatever they wanted, and thus undermining Imperial rule and authority: his successors never managed to repair the damage, and this led to the fragmentation of the Holy Roman Empire into a puzzle of semi-independent principalities".

German Nobles
    Short: "What does the Emperor see in these southern lands? Just see the surprise we prepared for him in Germany..."
    Long: "The Holy Roman Emperor is always surrounded by an èlite bodyguard of German nobles, who followed him from Frankfurt to Sicily. German nobles never understood Frederick's love for Sicily, and felt insulted for his lack of interest in German politics, but they still served him, protecting him on the battlefield with unwavering loyalty and incredible skill. What they did within their own estates in Germany, however, was another matter entirely, and the Imperial rule in those lands, far from Palermo and the court of wonders, quickly weakened and waned, leading to civil strife which would last for long".

Sicilian Nobles
    Short: "Palermo is the capital of the world! Rome and Frankfurt? Oversized villages, if you care for my opinion..."
    Long: "Frederick loved Sicily, and was loved in return: his enlightened rule granted the island, and the lower part of the Italian peninsula, great prosperity, and the Sicilian nobility was granted a major role in the administration of the kingdom, alongside the more educated and "technical" personnel: the bond between Frederick and the Sicilian nobles is so strong that these men will gladly throw themselves between the Emperor and any coming danger, in a neverending struggle with the German nobles for the emperor's favour. To the Germans' dismay, Sicilian nobles seem to lead with a wide advantage...".

Muslim Horse Archers
    Short: "If an infidel fights for the glory of God, there's only to rejoice"
    Long: "Sicily is a melting pot of cultures: in over two millenia, it has seen Greeks, Romans, Ostrogoths, Byzantines, Muslims and Normans. Each wave of colonization never disappeared, instead slowly melting with the rest of the population: one can find in Sicily a catholic church, built on the ruins of a mosque, which was built on the ruins of an orthodox church, itself built on the ruins of a Greek temple. This led to Sicily being known as a safe haven of tolerance in a world ruled by zealotry and suspicion. Frederick proved himself to be just as open-minded as the rest of the island, showing great respect for every culture and religion, and the muslims population of Sicily show their gratitude and love for the Emperor by fighting side-by-side with infidels, even against other muslims. Their great skill with the composite bow and light cavalry tactics is a great asset for the Emperor, giving his army a flexibility rarely seen in Western Europe: after all, even the mighty Romans were defeated by the Parthians...".

Stipendiarii
    Short: "Your money, your orders, my lord!"
    Long: "Stipendiarius literally means "one who receives a salary", and the term refers to both the regular retinue of a noble (those few soldiers regularly paid and equipped by a feudal lord to protect his estates) and mercenaries. Whatever the meaning, stipendiarii are a well-equipped and well-trained force, ready to face most threats on the battlefield in the name of their lord, or for the love of money and plunder: in battle they are almost the same".

Skirmishers
    Short: "These men are not expected to fight in close combat; even better, they are not expected to fight at all"
    Long: "In times of war, every able bodied is expected to fight for his lord, be it rich or poor. Those too poor to afford even the cheapest form of armour and weaponry are listed in the skirmishers: without armour, save for a helmet and a small shield made of scrap material, and too unskilled to use bows, these men use javelines to hit the enemy from the distance. Even in their hands, javelines are still deadly weapons, capable of killing even an armoured swordsman, and their light equipment (further enhanced by their cowardice) means they can easily retreat from any pursuing infantry, harassing them in the process. However, should they be forced to fight, or hunted down by cavalry, the best a commander can do is pray for their souls".

Conregius Guardsmen
    Short: "Professional soldiers, directly paid from the royal treasury, these men are Sicily's finest"
    Long: "In the feudal army, most soldiers were levied by the king's vassals, the king having not enough money to afford a regular army of his own. This, however, was not Sicily's case: Frederick's reforms strenghtened the king's grip over the territory, and the institution of royal functionaries, tax-collectors and judges granted the royal treasuries a modest, but steady income, enough to afford a small standing army, loyal only to the king. The "conregius" guardsmen, the term meaning "those who stay with the king", form the core of this army: armed with two-handed weapons and medium-to-heavy armour, these men are a sight to behold on the battlefield, cleaving their way through the enemy's ranks with fire-hot fury and ice-cold determination. Their only weakness is their lack of shields, which makes them vulnerable to enemy ranged attacks; also, two-handed weapons are slow and cumbersome to use, and they will suffer losses in prolonged fights against fast-paced swordsmen".

King of Naples
    Short: "The heart of the kingdom may move, but the head must keep working for everyone's sake".
    Long: "After Frederick's death and the short and difficult reign of his son Manfred, the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdom of Sicily separated, and both experienced a time of civil strife. For Sicily, this ended with an agreement between the Pope, formal sovereign of Sicily (the Norman kings conquered Sicily from the muslims by the Pope's order, and ruled it as his vassals), and France: the French king's brother, Charles of Anjou, would become king of Sicily, in exchange for regular tributes to the Pope. Charles invaded Sicily in 1266, and killed in battle Conrad, last of Frederick's heirs, thus ending the house of Hohenstaufen. In 1282 however, after French officers raped a married woman in front of a church during the Easter festivities, the population began a furious uprising: thousands of French soldiers and settlers were massacred mercilessly, and the new king was forced to flee in a hurry from the island, transferring the capital to the city of Naples. Charles still called himself king of Sicily, but never managed to regain control of the island. Peter II of Aragon later managed to be crowned king of Sicily, and would subsequently invade Naples, reuniting the two parts of the kingdom under Spanish rule".

Targonieri
    Short: "With heavy armour, large shields, and long spears, these men are a moving bulwark"
    Long: "The "targa" is a type of large, rectangular wooden shield, covered with a thin iron patina, widely used by Italian spearmen: it was large but not too heavy, and easy to use, thus providing excellent protection. Targonieri are a semi-professional force, trained by the many free cities of Italy to protect themselves from any would-be conqueror, and they fulfill the role perfetly. On the battlefield, they form an unbreakable wall against both cavalry and infantry, laughing as arrows and crossbow bolts harmlessly dot their shields. They are among the few soldiers in Europe trained to fight in phalanx formation, each soldier protecting and helping the other, as the ancient Greek hoplites did: this makes them able to prevail even against èlite forces, better equipped but used to fight as single champions rather than a coordinated force. Their only weakness lies in their weapon: spears are slow weapons, best used defensively, and a wise commander should not waste them against professional swordsmen or two-handed weapon wielders".

Archer Serjeants and Crossbowmen serjeants
    Short: "Pride and joy of any archer commander, these men can put even their infidel counterparts to shame"
    Long: "Ranged troops were often an unorganized rabble of paesants, feudal lord being too busy in their game of glory, honour and hand-to-hand combat to care about ranged warfare. Wise commanders, instead, were aware of the pontential residing in ranged warfare, and organized archers and crossbowmen so that they could efficiently support their infantry. As the European powers discovered military standardization and organization, ranged forces received better equipment and training, and were assembled in companies: each company had a serjeant, whose duty was to oversee the training and equipment for the rookies and, in battle, direct the fire where it would be most effective. Often ranged serjeants were banded together as an èlite archer or crossbowmen company, and used to eradicate high-priority targets with pinpoint accuracy. Their higher status means these troops are better trained, and equipped even for melee combat, making them a force not to be underestimated".

I had some free time, so I decided to create some unit descriptions for the Empire of Nicaea, using the unit on the ltd. thread

Peltastoi

Short: "A javelin is a metaphor for life: it goes up fast, it goes down even faster, then it hits you in the face, and then you die."
    Long: "The term "peltast" comes from a light round shield used by javelin-armed skirmishers during the times of Alexander the Great, and was used ever since in the Greek world to indicate light skirmishers. While "heavy" peltasts usually throw only one or two javelins before engaging the enemy in close combat, "light" peltasts -such as these men- are armed with up to ten javelins, and rain death upon the enemy before retreating and finding more ammunition. Since javelins have shorter range than bows, peltasts are more vulnerable to sudden counter-attacks by other fast moving troops, and they should be kept away from cavalry at all costs.".

Gasmouloi

Short: "Having two homelands often means having none, leaving your heart split in two"
    Long: "During the Latin occupation of the Byzantine Empire after the Fourth Crusade, many Latin soldiers (often from Venice) formed families with Byzantine women. The Gasmouloi were the result of such unions, and since their loyalty was divided between their two heritages, they were suspected and feared of disloyalty by both Latins and Byzantines. Thus, many of those "mixed" sons had to learn how to fend for themselfes, and were employed as mercenaries by both the Byzantine Empire and the Crusader states. Despite being appreciated for their skills, they were never trusted, and caused many frictions between the Empire and Venice for the way they were treated."

Mourtatoi

Short: "Those who see the light of the true God are worthy of raining death in His name"
    Long: "The term "mourtatoi" is the Greek form of the derogatory Arab word "murtat", meaning "apostate". The Mourtatoi were the sons of a "mixed-breed" union between Greeks and Turks, where the Turk parent often converted to the Christian religion -thus the derogatory term, since apostasy is a capital offence in the Islamic law-. Coming from a long line of Turkis soldiers, the Mourtatoi are highly skilled in the use of the composite bow, and for their loyalty they are often employed as palace guard for high-ranking officers or governors".

Militia Spearmen

Short: "In these dark times, every man is expected to fight for the Empire"
    Long: "The 13th century sees the Byzantine Empire losing much of its territories: the Fourth Crusade and the Turk expansion leave the Empire in desperate need for soldiers, and thus militias are levied across the remaining provinces, in order to stop the incoming tide of the crescent moon banners. These militiamen are equipped with long lances and shields, making them a good choice against cavalry, but while loyal, they are poorly armed and trained, and heavily susceptible to morale shocks, and should be used only for garrison duty".

Kontaratoi

Short: "Both Franks and Turks love horses: let's see how they love their precious horses impaled on my spear!"
    Long: "The kontos is a Greek long spear developed from the Eastern cavalry: with a length of 4 meters, it is a multi-purpose weapon, longer than a spear but shorter -and lighter- than a pike, allowing it to be held in conjuntcion with a shield, an impossible feat for a pike. The Byzantine cavalry used a thicker kontos -the kontarion- during charges, holding it with both hands. The kontaratoi are a versatile unit, useful against both cavalry and infantry, and with their armour and training they can resist a prolonged assault with ease: not even archers can dislodge them from their positions."

Skoutatoi (both spear and sword)

Short: "The shield is to these men what these men are to the Empire: a sturdy and trusted protection against the ever-growing darkness surrounding us".
    Long: "The skoutatoi are the mainstay of the Byzantine army since the reforms of Justinian the Great: divided between spear and sword skoutatoi, these men work together, the spearmen protecting the swordsmen from cavalry, and the swordsmen engaging enemy infantry before they can threaten the spearmen. Well trained and equipped, these men may not be as deadly as the kataphraktoi or as dreadful as the Varangoi guard, but at the end of the day, it is their bravery and discipline that keeps the line of battle -and with it, the Empire- from breaking and falling apart."

Rus Mercenaries

Short: "They may be barbarians, but their fury pleases the Emperor when directed against His enemies"
    Long: "After two Greek missionaries converted the people of the various tribes of the Russian steppes to the Orthodox faith, trade relationship were established between the Empire and those tribes, providing the Empire with many luxuries. Another coveted merchandise, however, were warriors: with the Empire in desperate need for soldiers, the savage Rus were a perfect choice -cheap, fierce, and easily manipulated by the skilled Byzantine emissaries-. These mercenaries are a powerful tool in the hands of a cunning general, as they will glady fight against anything offering a good challenge, and they will not retreat until victory or death -an impressive quality in mercenaries-. However, their impulsiveness is also their weakness, since they will probably lose sight of the objectives of the battle, not caring for the defeat of their comrades as long as they get the excitement they crave".

Spatharioi

Short: "The best soldiers and officers, all ready to die for the Emperor"
    Long: "The Spatharioi were a military unit formed in the 7th century from soldiers and officers who distinguished themselves for their loyalty and capability. The unit was used as palace guard for the Emperor until the beginning of the 11th century, and every soldiers was higly trained in the use of the long sword -the "spatha"- and equipped with the best weapons and armours the Empire could offer. After this period, however the term is used only with a honorific meaning, the unit probably continuing to exist under a different name".

Varangoi (Varangian Guard)

Short: "The fire-hot fury of the northern barbarians, tempered in the ice-cold discipline of the old Roman tradition: the Emperor can't wish for more."
    Long: "The Varangian Guard is a military unit formed initially from recruits sent by various tributary tribes the from the Russian steppes. Their skill with weapons and unwavering loyalty -especially the latter- made them stand out in the eyes of the Emperor, who didn't trust his bodyguards, and following in a long tradition of nations who employed foreign warriors as bodyguards -such as the Ellenistic monarchies and the Arab states of Spain- the most skilled and loyal among the Varangoi were elevated to the position of personal guard of the Emperor, their office becoming hereditary -the son of a Varangian Guard would become a Guard with the death or retirement of his father-. Clad in heavy armour from the best forges in Constantinople, and wielding their trusted two-handed axes, the Varangian Guard is a nightmare for any enemy: they fight with the fury and speed of their ancestors, a whirlwind of steel capable of splitting a soldier in half from head to waist, and with the cunning and experience of a veteran, not allowing their emotions to blind them. In battle, they are rightly seen as the personification of the Emperor's fist, delivering inevitable and merciless death to His enemies."

Turkman horse archers

Short: "Look at the bright side: whatever happens, some Turks will die today!"
    Long: "Following in the old Roman traditions of using the enemies' strenght against them, the Byzantine Empire deployed a wide range of mercenaries and tributary troops in order to counter any threat on the battlefield: Turkman horse archers are among the best horse archers in the world, and can harass the enemy for hours, raining arrows along the way and decimating the unfortunate foes -a tactic the crusaders experienced more than once-. Their light equipment however means that, should they ever be engaged in close quarters, the only thing their commander can do is prey they escape alive".

Kavallarioi

Short: "Fast and hard-hitting, these horsemen are a dangerous and versatile force"
    Long: "The Kavallarioi are a force of medium cavalry employed by the Byzantine Empire since the 9th century, often used as heavy horse archers -"heavy" meaning "wearing not just their clothes"-. Hailed from the ranks of the "pronoiai", a social class which included small landowners, artisand and traders, these men could buy their own equipment, and with a good training they were a versatile and effective combat force, fast enough to pursue horse archers without tiring their horses, but heavy enough to engage other melee cavalry and charge head-on against light and medium infantry".

Latinikon

Short: "The Franks don't even now the meaning of "personal hygiene", but in battle they more than make up for it"
    Long: "The Byzantines despised everyone who was not Byzantine, seeing themselves as the only true heirs of the old Roman ways. As such, the Western Europeans were seen as barbaric upstarts, as well as heretics for embracing the doctrines of the bishop of Rome-, usurping the lands of the Roman Empire, their sole existence an insult to its memory. As such, relationships between the Byzantine Empire and the European states were strained at best, and Byzantine emissaries often worked to sow the seeds of rebellion and war between these nations, following the old Roman ways of "divide et impera" in the hope of, one day, retaking control of Europe. In the wake of the 12th century, however, the Empire is weaker then ever, and its need for new soldiers is enough to forget the hate, if just for a while: thus, the "Latinikon" is born, a heavy cavalry unit formed exclusively by Western soldiers -"Latins" being a synonym for Franks-, often descendant of western immigrates residing in the Empire. These men are equipped, and fight, in the western way, and their charge is a deadly danger for any foe save pikemen and other heavy cavalry".

Prooiarii

Short: "In exchange for land, these men swear to fight for the emperor. What? Did you say feudalism? We are ROMANS, we DO NOT use FEUDALISM!"
    Long: "Emperor Alexios I, in his efforts to strengthen the Byzantine empire, created the "Pronoia" system: loyal subjects were granted land by the Emperor, in exchange for their military service in times of need. This can be easily called the Byzantine equivalent of feudalism, the only difference being that these landowners were not given actual political power. Usually the Pronoiai (or "pronoiarii" in the Latin pronounciation) were emplowed as medium infantry and cavalry, but these men are hailed from the upper echelon of the Pronoiai, having received great extensions of land (usually by means of political favours and boot-licking), and as such they can afford the best armours and weapons, putting them almost on the same level as cataphracts. This heavy cavalry fears few enemies, and can engage almost every enemy with ease, knowing that it will win."

Kataphraktoi

Short: "Sound the charge! We will make the very heavens tremble and shake!"
    Long: "The term "Cataphract" comes from the Greek verb "kataphrattein", which means "to cover something in iron", and the word is perfectly fitting for this unit: both horse and rider are completely covered in thick and heavy chainmail and plate armour, hiding from sight everythig but the eyes and the hooves. Arrows bounce harmlessly against such protection, and the combined weight of flesh and iron makes the cataphracts a slow but unstoppable force. The the ground quakes under the sheer weight, and everything in their path is mercilessly trampled under them: not even spearmen can stop such a relentless killing machine. The horses used by cataphracts are strong and priceless purebreeds, hailing from the plains of inner Anatolia: should those plains fall into the hands of the enemy, surely the Byzantine army -and with it the Empire- would suffer a devastating blow".

Heir to the throne

Short: "Venice shall pay for her treason, and with her shall pay all the Franks now usurping the city of Constantine!"
    Long: "After the forces of the Fourth Crusade, manipulated by the cunning doge of Venice, besieged Constantinople and instated the Latin Empire, executing the former Emperor, many provinces seceded from the Crusaders' puppet state, creating three successor states: Threbizond, Epirus and Nicaea. The latter was founded in 1204 by Theodore I Laskaris, a member of an ancient but not powerful family, who fled to Nicaea after realizing that the defences of the capital were destined to fall. From Nicaea, he swore to retake the capital and reinstate the true Byzantine Empire -casually, with him as Emperor-".

The Emperor

Short: "With Constantinople back into Our hands, Our gaze and attention returns to the great tasks at hand: long live the Roman Empire!"
    Long: "Now that Constantinople has been retaken from Venice's puppets, the Emperor must rebuild the Empire from its very foundations, for the situation is dire. Years of civil strife have left the Empire weakened: the army is decimated, countless cities have been sacked and razed to the ground, and the bureaucracy is more corrupt than ever. Outside, enemies approach: the Crusader states have been defeated, the Templars have returned to Europe and the Hospitallers fight a losing war from their fortress-island of Rhodes. Every day the Turks advance more. Rumors tell of a blasphemous weapon, black powder turning into fire, bringing down even the mightiest walls: they say even the Theodosian walls, built almost a thousand years ago, and protecting our city from dozens of attacks, will fall against such magic. What should the Emperor do? Some say He should fortify the borders and entrench himself in the capital, challenging the enemy to bring down walls sturdier than the very ramparts of Troy. Others think He should order an all-out attack, a desperate offensive in the hope of catching the enemy unprepared, thus securing the borders and teaching everyone that the the heritage of Rome still lives on. Whatever the decision, it will take the spirit of the great Romans of old to even hope of surviving the coming tide, and from there, rebuild an Empire worthy of the dream of Romulus."

Good day, I saw the units of the Kingdom of England from Banskie100 revamp thread and liked them so much I felt I just had to write some descriptions for them

Longbowmen

Short: "A true longbowman's training never ends... But it will have to do if we want to defeat the French"
    Long: "The longbow was invented in Wales, and was quickly adopted by the English army. Since England had few wide and fertile pastures, English cavalry was less numerous than their French counterpart, and it's stallions were inferior in both strength and speed: hence the need for a sizeable force of bowmen, capable of slaughtering enemy cavalry before it could be dangerous. The longbow is a complex and very delicate weapon, needing careful use and constant maintenance: the wood is weak against humidity, and the bowstring needs to be removed after the battle so it would not permanently warp the wood. However, the power of the longbow is more than worth such care: it can rain death from 200 meters, almost double the range of most bows and crossbows, and it's arrows can pierce even the thickest of armours, making it a deadly threat to any cavalry force. Since the longbow required constant practice, paesants were encouraged to possess and use longbows, and each week contests were held, with prizes for the best archers. Thus, almost any englishman could use a longbow, and militia companies were easily formed should the need arise."

Retinue Longbowmen

Short: "I tell you, French cavalry is undefeatable! We are the bes- wait a second, the battle report from Azincourt just arrived, I'm sure we have defeated the English!"
    Long: "To encourage longbow practice, each week archery contests were held, and prizes would go to the best marksmen. However, royal recruiters often patrolled such events, and the winners were offered to join the retinue of nobles or the king himself, with promises of fame and loot: for paesants and farmers, such an offer could mean escaping hunger, and becoming very rich. Such archers were trained by the best veterans and equipped by the noble they served. In battle, they were usually deployed in well protected positions, so as to not waste their efforts: a few hundreds of retinue longbowmen could slaughter thousands of enemies in mere minutes, firing with great speed and pinpoint precision. Also, longbowmen usually plunged their arrows into the ground near them before the battle; this had a double advantage: it made reloading easier (the longbow was so big it usually made reaching for the quiver very uncomfortable), and "dirty" arrows usually meant that any enemy they hit would die, either from the arrow or from the infected wound."

For the handgunners, I already made a description for the Italian ones: I think it could be used just the same

Spearmen

Short: "Hold the line! Spears forward! Those French think they can break us, let's prove them otherwise!"
    Long: "Cheap to equip, easy to train and effective against cavalry, spearmen were a constant presence in Europe's battlefield, but in England they were the backbone of the army, using the dreaded strategy of "bow and spear": the spearmen would keep the enemy at bay, concentrating entirely on defense, while longbowmen would slowly bleed them to death from afar. This tactic was usually enhanced with the use of sharpened stakes to further protect the flanks against surprise cavalry actions. In the early period they would use mainly a drop shield and leather armour, but with the advancement of tactics they were slowly abandoned in favour of pavise shields, lighter and easier to handle, and mail armour."

Billmen

Short: "A farming tool remains a farming tool even in battle: the harvest is, however, completely different"
    Long: "In a world where most levies were mere farmers, thrown into the fray with no equipment nor training, it is no surprise that said farmers usually brought their farming tools with them: after all, while most didn't know which end of a spear to point at the enemy, they were unrivalled masters with scythes, pitchforks, billhooks, and so on. It took little time for generals and blacksmiths to invent weapons based on such tools, so that paesant levies could use actual weapons instead of mere tools, and be easily trained on their use thanks to the familiarity. The bill is one of the most common amongst such weapons: based on the billhook, it is widely used against cavalry, featuring a hook for grabbing a knight's leg and dragging him to the ground, and a sharp blade for killing him once he is dismounted, and usually stunned from the fall. Billmen levies are thus effective and cheap anti-cavalry forces. Actual training and equipment only add to their worth."

Sergeants

Short: "To be ranked a servant may seem ridiculous to a noble, but for most, it is the best they can hope to achieve"
    Long: "Coming from the Latin term "servientem", meaning "servant", sergeant is a rank used in almost every European army of the time (and still today). While each nation had its own technical meaning for the rank, generally the sergeant was the highest rank a low-born commoner could aspire to, since all higher offices were reserved for the nobles. Being promoted sergeant required that a soldier had survived many battles, and had performed many acts of valour (usually visible from the scars most sergeants sported), and meant better equipment and a higher salary (usually a larger part of the loot), which for most soldiers could mean the difference between returning to their homes as a serf and becoming an actual free land-owner. Usually sergeants oversaw training and equipment of small units, and led them in battle. Sometimes, sergeants were grouped together and used as a powerful fist to break the enemy lines, or to defend a focal point: well armed and experienced, these veterans are not to be underestimated."

Mounted Sergeants

Short: "Squires are used to do what a knight would consider too low, and mounted sergeants are used to do what a squire would consider too low even for him"
    Long: "Since no paesant could afford a horse, but there was still the need for a rapid scout unit (and noble knights considered scouting a dishonourable task), trusted sergeants who showed cunning behaviour were given second-choice horses and used as a light and fast cavalry force, usually sent ahead of the main army to scout the area and harass enemy light troops or carriages. Being fast, they can easily outmanoeuver infantry and heavy cavalry, allowing them to hit fast and hard unprotected targets such as archers or supply convoys, but they should never be used against actual cavalry and trained infantry."

Hobilars

Short: "They think us small? Let's ask them once my spear is inside their bodies!"
    Long: "Mounted atop hobbies, a horses of small size, but very fast and agile, hobilars are an excellent scout cavalry hailing from Ireland: their horses may not be suited for a direct charge, lacking the sheer weight of the noble stallions used by heavy cavalry, but their unexpected resistance to fatigue has tricked many cavalry commanders into engaging in long pursuits, only to find their horses tired and themselves an easy prey for enemy arrows and spears. These light riders can run for hours through the battlefield, aways threatening enemy vulnerable assets and thus forcing their commanders to distract large forces to defend them. However, should they be forced to fight in melee, they would be easily defeated, lacking the equipment to resist against trained soldiers."

Dismounted men-at-arms

Short: "To fight on foot is not dishonourable if it brings victory to the Fatherland"
    Long: "England, unilke most European nations of the time, had a flourishing middle class of artisans, small land-owners and merchants: these people could not afford a war-horse, but they could more than afford finely crafted armours and weapons, and thus formed a solid force of heavy infantry. These men were usually positioned at the very center of the formation, with spearmen to their flanks and sharpened stakes in front of them to prevent head-on cavalry charges. Since most infantry at the time was made of unprofessional levies, these men could easily slaughter most opponents in close combat. Even arrows have a hard time hitting them, thanks to their heavy armours and large shields. During the Hundred Years War, English heavy infantry tended to abandon the shields in favour of polearms, since most French armies usually had very few ranged troops and too much cavalry."

Knights

Short: "While not as famous as their French counterparts, English nobles have in their veins as much courage and blue blood as them"
    Long: "The lack of large pastures meant that England could field less heavy cavalry, and of a poorer quality than France. However, their power remains a serious threat to any enemy: armed and equipped with the best, and trained from birth in the art of combat, few but the best troops can hope to defeat them in combat. Their only weakness is against spears and pikes, something Scotland knows too well, and had used many times..."

Yeomen of the Guard

Short: "A man who freely chooses to fight for his country is as rare and precious as a gem"
    Long: "The yeomen were the flourishing English middle class, consisting of small land-owners, merchants and artisans: from the times of William the Conqueror, English kings had always supported the yeomen against the nobility, in order to expand their influence over the kingdom's affairs, and thus encouraged small land-owners instead of large estates owned by nobles, and free trade instead of substistence economy. The reward for such foresight is a large middle class of rich, influent and loyal subjects, ready to answer the King's call to war and capable of affording their own equipment. Especially the latter means that the king can count on their support without having to beg the nobles for money: as such, yeomen were the backbone of the English army during the Hundred Years war, and proved invaluable as a force of heavy infantry, usually armed with polearms or long spears to defend against French cavalry, and as well trained and equipped longbowmen."

Good day! This time i tried with the Teutonic Order. Since I'm not the best expert on German history feel free to tell me if you find mistakes or incorrect information

Prussian Archers
    Short: "Their arrows carry the Heaven's fury: an anticipation of the judgement that awaits pagans!"
    Long: "Prussia and Lithuania still followed the ancient gods of those tribes that, almost a thousand years before, invaded the Roman Empire. While barbaric in their way of living, and sorely lacking in martial prowess, the pagans were masters of ambushes and hit-and-run tactics: this forced the Teutonic Order to look for light troops to support their heavy infantry and knights. The Prussian Archers are an archer trained militia, levied from the locals that willingly converted: while not sworn members of the order, they are still part of the Order's army; though fairly well trained and equipped, and eager to serve their new masters, these archers are inferior to the professionally trained English longbows or Genoese crossbowmen; still, they protect the army or the Order from light cavalry and skirmishers, and unleash deadly volley upon any upcoming foe."

Livonian Auxiliary Crossbowmen, Swordbrethren Mounted Swordbrethren
    Short: "The last survivors of a failed Crusade, these men will sacrifice everything to ensure the next one succeeds."
    Long: "The Livonian Brothers of the Sword, or "Frateris Militia", was a knightly order based in Latvia which tried to subdue the pagan Grand duchy of Lithuania: alas, they understood too late how different they were from the unarmed paesants of the Prussian forests. In the battle of Schaulen the Livonian army was slaughtered by the skilled Lithuanian light cavalry, which exploited its speed and the swamps nearby to lure the Christians and then rain javeins on them, then charging for the killing blow. The entire leadership of the order, including the Master, was slain, and the few survivors swore their loyalty to the teutonic Order and joined their army as auxiliary troops, serving as a living reminder to never underestimate the enemy: easily recognised for their emblem, a cross atop a sword, these survivors fight with skill and fury, to avenge their fallen brothers and to finally cleanse Europe from the last pagans."

Spear Militia and Spear Sergeants

Short: "They say faith is the best shield, but with all those horse archers and javelinemen you need less poetry and far more wood and iron."
    Long: "As the Teutonic Order subdued Prussia and made it their headquarters, they found the hard way, like the Livonian Order, that Lithuania was an entirely different foe: while Prussians were a bunch of disorganised an mostly unarmed tribes, their new enemy had plenty of well trained and equipped troops which fought in a similar fashion to the Muslim horse archers: thus, the Order hurriedly raised a spear militia to protect the flanks from enemy cavalry. Whith their big shields, they can easily withstand enemy fire, and their spears are lethal against the pagan light cavalry, which lacks the armored punch of the Western countries."

Armored Sergeants
    Short: "Unlike Solomon, these soldiers do not hesitate to cut a person in half with their two-handed battleaxes. Actually, they enjoy it: this is true wisdom!"
    Long: "Sergeant is the highest rank a non-noble can achieve, and as such is awarded to only the most skilled among the paesant troops: while most levies barely know which tip of their spear they need to point at the enemy, sergeants know how to use most weapons, since they had to use them to survive. these soldiers are an armored shock troop, capable of hacking down any foe, especially the lightly armored pagans. Their lack of a shield, however, should be kept into consderation, and they should be deployed in infantry fights where there are no enemy archers, or at least they are kept buisy by other troops."

Mounted Crossbowmen
    Short: "They are a pale imitation, but at last they keep the pagan light cavalry busy!"
    Long: "In an effort to counter the Lithuanian light skirmishers, the Order created units of mounted crossbowmen, since crossbows are easier to aim than a bow (a blessing for the Crusaders, since they lacked any horse-archering skill), though slower to reload. These men ensure that any pagan commander will think twice before sending their light armored skirmishers against a moving wall of death, though they are less skilled with their horses than their godless counterparts."

Half-brothers
    Short: "Half-brother? Double the fury!"
    Long: "The Haldbrüder were full-fledged members of the Order, but ranked lower since they took only half the oath (they didn't take the chastity vow). Still, their zeal, fanatism and martial prowess match their higher ranking brothers. Being usually members of minor noble houses, they can afford horses and finely crafted armours, and as such serve as medium shock cavalry, trampling over lesser enemies while the Ritterbrüder engage the enemy elite troops. Since their armours aren't as heavy as the ones used by the Ritterbrüder, they are better at flanking the enemy and fighting against the fast Lithuanian cavalry."

Ritterbrüder
    Short: "The Order's finest, these men are a holy terror on the battlefield, the living embodiment of hell's torment to the unfaithful."
    Long: " The Ritterbrüder are the highest ranking members of the Teutonic Order, taking an additional vow of chastity: usually members of great German noble houses, these men fear no enemy, both in politics and on the battlefield. Armed and equipped with the finest products of the Empire's most renowned blacksmiths, the Ritterbrüder ride into battle atop powerful steeds, pride and joy of generations of breeding.Their charge can shatter all but the most stubborn pike formations, and usually their enemies don't even try to resist, breaking formation in a desperate attempt to flee their doom, only to be trampled upon by their stallions. The Ritterbrüder however aren't invincible, as all this armour makes their charge quite slow: as such, light skirmishers can safely shower them in arrows and javelins, only to retreat when the Ritterbrüder try to chase them. Thus, they must be supported by light troops, otherwise they might find themselves cornered and taken out one by one by a cunning foe."

Grandmaster
    Short: "By the Pope and the Emperor, I will bring the light of Christ to these lands... or they will all burn."
    Long: "The Grand Master, or "Hochmeister", is the highest rank of the Teutonic Order, and since the Order is an indepedent state by Imperial concession, he is also its ruler. The Grand Master is elected for life by the Grand Chapter of the Order, usually by merit rather than birth, and though he is more a "primus inter pares", he still wields a great power. He is helped in his duties by a "cabinet" of high ranking officers, the most important being the "Grosskomtur" (the second in command, usually candidate for succession), the "Grosstressler" (the treasurer, who cared for the finances of the Order) and the "Marschall" (the commander of the army). This cabinet was very efficient for the time, granting the Grand Master a great degree of control upon his domains. In battle, he is a great warrior, surrounded by the most loyal and skilled among the Ritterbrüder, and his inpiring presence and timely intervention can usually turn the tides of battle".

Men at arms and pikemen
    Short: "The fruits of the Crusade are loyal and faithful soldiers, ready to fight and die in the name of God."
    Long: "As the Crusade bogged down due to the heavy pagan resistance, the Order retreated and reorganized the conquered territories. The land was divided in Kommende, each containing a city and a castle (thus making it self-sufficient in both economy and military) and administered by a Komtur, with the help of a small cabinet of half-brothers, a miniaturization of the Hochmeister's cabinet. This efficient administration managed to quickly transform the Prussian forests in thriving cities, repopulated by German settlers with promises of free land. Also, since the Hochmeister was a member of the Hanseatic League, the lands of the Order benefitted from the trade flowing through them. All this, and the fact that many members of the Order came from noble and wealthy families, meant that the Order was very rich, and thus could afford to field a professional army of well trained and equipped soldiers, especially heavy pikemen, to impale the pagan cavalry, and armoured men at arms, to easily dispatch any infantry."
    Last edited by emi; January 31, 2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: I shortened some descriptions, cutting some unnecessary digressions

Hi every one. First, sorry for my English. Second, hhis is my first post in twc since the time of Sicilian Vespers mod in M2TW so... new account and everything XD. I want to praise this incredible mod and all the work did. I hope our little help can help you out to finish this masterpiece.

I worked some hours the Portugal early roster, i still have more to do, and maybe those texts aren't very good but there they go:

Levy spears:
    Short d: "We have both trees for spears and peasants for corpses, you know exactly how to do"
    Long d: Levies are common in all Europe armies all medieval ages long. Peasants who work in noble's land were drafted to fight for his noble Lord in exchange for working hard the noble lands… not a fair deal isn't it?
    Those levies have none or poor equipment, maybe a selfmade spear and a knife, a ragged gambeson or shirt and in the best of lucks an old leather helmet. The train was poor and a wise commander wouldn't give them the hardest part of battle. Portuguese nobles and barons use this regiments of unexperienced soldiers to fill the holes in their small armies expecting at least fearing the enemy with an illusion of numbers.

Levy slinger:
    Short d: "I can kill a bird eating grain in the field at 100 yards… why not an infidel?"
    Long d:
    Levies are common in all Europe armies all medieval ages long. Peasants who work in noble's land were drafted to fight for his noble Lord in exchange for working hard the noble lands… not a fair deal isn't it?
    Slings are probably one of the elder missile arms. They are cheap and easy to create, and also almost all peasants with little train know, at least, how to throw rocks or bullets forward without killing his own comrades. Reconquista was an all time war and this frontierlike and skirmish arm used by shepherds and peasants had his utility… the golden rule was avoiding melee fights.

Levy crossbowmen:
    Short id: "See… you put your feet here, take the bolt, and careful with your finge...arrrrghhh"
    Long d: Crossbow were the star of the medieval lowborn soldier, militia or levy. Every king, count or baron had plenty of crossbows in their armories ready to put them in the hands of their subjects. Easy to master also for a fool and filthy peasant a crossbow had a decent power enough to put down an armored soldier, common or noble in medium range making a bit of justice in the feudal relationships between lords and commoners. The lack of armor and the difficulty of recharging those arms make those levies in easy prey if the general don't protect them properly.

Almogavares
    Short d: " Life in frontier is hard, but if you know how to throw a javelin you can hunt down warthogs… or moors"
    L.d : Javelin throwers have a long story in Iberian Peninsula warfare: Lusitanians, Iberians, Romans use them. Also the moors creators of the original "al-mugawir" or those who make raids. The Christian kingdoms continue his own javelin tradition adopting this muslim type of warrior . The almogavares were lightly armored using their speed as defense. They were frontier people, hardened in the hard Iberian weather and difficult terrain, used to fight everyday for life. In any case they are light troops, unarmored, and if they are in close melee they will fight but they will loose against something stronger than other skirmishers. So a wise tactic is using them as mobile light infantry in mountains, river crossings, hilly terrain or woods, where they can use their skills to confront even heavily armored troops as happened in Céfiso river battle, where almogavars destroyed the frankish heavy cavalry of Achaya

Municipal archers
    Short: "Tomorrow at dawn everybody in the old square with a bow and a full carcaj"
    Ld: Municipal life have a great importance in Iberian kingdoms of the Medieval Ages. In his way down for the Atlantic shore the "portucalensis comes", then Portuguese, kings and other magnates built villages and new settlements giving them "fueros" or constitutional laws. Those laws said how to rule the village, which rights had every commoner, who ruled the town… but also said what to do in case of war. Villages used militas to defend themselves against aggressors with demi trained units with bows, spears, pikes, crossbows... And, sometimes, this militias joined the royal "mesnadas" in greater campaigns to enforce professional soldiers. Bows were excellent arms to defend walls or barricades and to defeat king's enemies from a safe distance without risk the life in close combat… at least at the start of the battle

Municipal crossbowman
    Short d: "Charging this dammed thing is a pain in the teeth"
    Ld:
    Municipal life have a great importance in Iberian kingdoms of the Medieval Ages. In his way down for the Atlantic shore the "portucalensis comes", then Portuguese, kings and other magnates built villages and new settlements giving them "fueros" or constitutional laws. Those laws said how to rule the village, which rights had every commoner, who ruled the town… but also said what to do in case of war. Villages used militas to defend themselves against aggressors with demi trained units with bows, spears, pikes, crossbows... And, sometimes, this militias joined the royal "mesnadas" in greater campaigns to enforce professional soldiers. Crossbows are easier than bows to master. With less train you have a brave troop of... coward citizens ready to kill from the distance of city walls

Municipal Spearmen
    Sh: "Hold the line if you don't want to see your houses burnt down"
    Ld:
    Municipal life have a great importance in Iberian kingdoms of the Medieval Ages. In his way down for the Atlantic shore the "portucalensis comes", then Portuguese, kings and other magnates built villages and new settlements giving them "fueros" or constitutional laws. Those laws said how to rule the village, which rights had every commoner, who ruled the town… but also said what to do in case of war. Villages used militas to defend themselves against aggressors with demi trained units with bows, spears, pikes, crossbows... And, sometimes, this militias joined the royal "mesnadas" in greater campaigns to enforce professional soldiers. Armed with a shield and a short spear Portuguese militias are the backbone of city defenses and lusitanian armies in the all time battle of Reconquista war.

Municipal pikemen:
    Sh: "Alexander won Asia with pikes, I only ask you to reach Algarve, for Crist!
    Ld:
    Municipal life have a great importance in Iberian kingdoms of the Medieval Ages. In his way down for the Atlantic shore the "portucalensis comes", then Portuguese kings and other magnates built villages and new settlements giving them "fueros" or constitutional laws. Those laws said how to rule the village, which rights had every commoner, who ruled the town… but also said what to do in case of war. Villages used militas to defend themselves against aggressors with demi trained units with bows, spears, pikes, crossbows... And, sometimes, this militias joined the royal "mesnadas" in greater campaigns to enforce professional soldiers. Large pikemen formations who rely in his cohesion to prevail were unusual in the Portuguese armies in this time because Reconquista was an extremely mobile war in an extremely abrupt terrain. Just in great battles lightly armored pikemen were deployed. Anyway a good pike line could be use against other enemies… maybe Castile?

Municipal Cavalry:
    Sh: "A horse costs 100 sueldos, more than the life of those hundreds of peasants playing soldiers downhill"
    Ld:
    Municipal life have a great importance in Iberian kingdoms of the Medieval Ages. In his way down for the Atlantic shore the "portucalensis comes", then Portuguese kings and other magnates built villages and new settlements giving them "fueros" or constitutional laws. Those laws said how to rule the village, which rights had every commoner, who ruled the town… but also said what to do in case of war. Villages used militas to defend themselves against aggressors with demi trained units with bows, spears, pikes, crossbows... And, sometimes, this militias joined the royal "mesnadas" in greater campaigns to enforce professional soldiers. Horses were expensive. Only the richer commoners can afford a horse, and not the best of them. In any case urban militias of the principal cities of Portugal with important trade routes could deploy units of this cavalry with mails and gambesons armed with short spears used up-down, shields and swords. Those were not soldiers, so they can't hold a real fight with sargents or knights.

Ginete:
    Sd: "Loot, steal cattle, take slaves… this is the way of life of a true men of arms"
    Ld: Infançones and Cavaleiros who have their lands in the frontier adapt his armies to the Reconquista style of war. Seasonal "razzias" in enemy land to plunder, steal cattle, take slaves and make all possible damage to the enemy economy, in the other hand slaves and cattle make the difference for those Estremadura's fiefs with poor soils and no trade. Ginetes were used by all Christian Kingdoms of Peninsula. Portuguese ginetes fought to reclaim Estremadura and Algarve mixing the tradition of European medium and light cavalry to muslim light cavalry warfare. Those medium cavalrymen used to throw javelins to the enemy and if the damage was enough charge with spears and swords, if it was not… break away. The main arm of those ginetes was the tactical and strategical mobility and the perennal motivation of loot and plunder.

** I used de M2TW style copying the main text of militias and changing the end of each text to show the armament difference. I didn't use a patron describing arms and armors… is just a sketch.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

I put this here, so all descriptions for Serbia are in the same post.
    Also I did some small changes and corrections.

Peasant Bowmen
    “Zamanička vojska” is a term for levy army that was raised in case of grave danger. Depending on circumstances it could be raised in the whole state or locally. Scale of the mobilization depended on level of danger: every body-able man, one man per every house, or per five houses. Levies had to cover the expenses, and provide their own equipment and weapons. Most of them fought as unarmored bowmen, their primary weapon being an yew short-bow with range of about 200 meters. Overall these men weren't trained, equipped or reliable enough for real war.

Frontiersmen
    Lands on the state borders called krajište (pronounced krayishte), were for better defense were organized into special military districts under command of king’s lieutenants - border lords. Men of border-lord (krajišnici) took care of travelers and merchants safety, and chased away bandits and raiders. They would also make incursions in enemy territory when ordered. Krajišnici wore no armor, they were masters of disguise and ambushes. Byzantines soon learned to fear those men “who darted froth behind trees and rocks like devils out of the earth”. Frontiersmen weapons consisted from bows, axes and spears.

Archers
    Archery had long tradition is Serbia, even before their settlement in the Balkans. Later, under Byzantine and Cuman influence, more powerful composite bows were adopted, although in limited quantity. Even with appearance of crossbows and gunpowder in 14th and 15th century, bows remained important weapon in Serbian arsenal.
    These bowmen are servants of nobles, and have some military experience decent equipment: helmet, padded, mail or lamellar shirt. In close combat, if it comes to that, they will defend themselves with axes and an shield.

Militia Spearmen
    Gradobljudenije was one of duties of dependent population which involved guarding of the city, that is, securing the people for the city garrison, both in war and in peacetime conditions. This obligation had to be carried out both by the urban population and the inhabitants of the surrounding district. It was especially enforced in border or recently conquered territories.
    While these lightly equipped spearmen do not lack motivation to protect their city, they are amateurs in the art of war. Thus it is wise to leave them to defensive roles.

Vojnici Spearmen
    Vojnici (pronounced Voynici) which can be literally translated as “soldiers”, were a class of smallholders in medieval Serbia. According to law, every man who was in possession of hereditary freehold land (baština) was required to attend the army. Ignoring the call to arms meant risk of confiscation of the property. At first voynici were considered a separate class - not equal to nobles. Later the difference between them and low nobility blurred.
    Vojnici fought on foot as armored spearmen, and were the backbone of infantry line.

Vojnici Axemen
    Vojnici (pronounced Voynici) which can be literally translated as “soldiers”, were a class of smallholders in medieval Serbia. According to law, every man who was in possession of hereditary freehold land (baština) was required to attend the army. Ignoring the call to arms meant risk of confiscation of the property. At first voynici were considered a separate class - not equal to nobles. Later the difference between them and low nobility blurred.
    Two handed axes remained a popular weapon in Serbia until second part of 15th century - for far longer than in the west. It was vicious weapon, capable of chopping man’s limbs (or head !) cleanly off. But it also makes soldier carrying it vulnerable to arrows - since booth hands are needed to wield the axe, shield is not carried.

Vlastelčići
    Vlastelčići were numerous class of lower nobles, and their name can be literally translated as “small nobles”. They possessed smaller amount of land (baština), and as landowners Vlastelčići were obliged to serve in the army.
    While they were often considered to be the “middle class”, between upper class-peasants and high nobility (vlastela), their legal position was close to proper nobility. For these men proper warhorses were too expensive, and lower nobility often fought on foot. Their weapons included axes, swords, sabers and maces.

Halberdiers
    ** I don't have anything faction specific so some generic description can be used**

Baštinik lancers
    Baštinici were fundament of serbian feudal army, as military service was required from all body-able landowners. Baštinik was, in difference to pronijar, in complete ownership of his land; Baština was hereditary freehold land, and it could be taken from him only in case of treason.
    Baštinici fought as medium cavalry, armed with lances and swords. Their arms and equipment show strong Byzantine influence but were locally produced. Their mounts are not destriers but a breed of Balkan mountain horse. Balkan mountain horses are smaller than proper warhorses, but extremely tough and resistant.
    Baštinici were decent troops, even if somewhat slow to mobilize and unwilling to fight far outside borders. However, in late medieval period Serbian Despots would see pronija lands as more reliable source of troops and try to increase it at the expense of baština.

Pronijari lancers
    Pronija (pronounced Pronya) is type of conditional land that the ruler shared with a person (Pronijar), which in turn had to perform military service. This institution of Byzantine origin appears in Serbia in 14th century. Land is not automatically hereditary, and could be taken away at any time, which makes Pronijar eager to prove his value as an soldier. To improve country's defensive capability, Despots tried several times to increase amount of Pronija lands.
    Pronijari fought as armored cavalry lancers, and by 15th century they were equipped in western European fashion. Most popular secondary weapon was the mace, which is no surprise. It was the weapon of choice of Marko Kraljević, "the greatest hero" in the Balkans.

Vlastela
    Vlastela were high feudal nobility which ruled over large swaths of land, or even whole provinces (either hereditary as baština or conditionally as pronija). War was personal obligation of noble, and rich and powerful would bring along their large entourage.
    Dressed fine armor (often imported from famous workshops of Italy), Vlastela fought as heavy armored cavalry lancers.
    Charge of Serbian heavy cavalry was fearsome, and it could decide the outcome of the battle. Ironically some of their greatest military feats were in Ottoman service; chief example being defeat of the great crusade at Nicopolis in 1396.
    As last Serbian Tsar Urosh “the weak” discovered, vlastela - if left unchecked, could become a threat to their own state too. Their factionalism, personal rivalry and ambition could do as much damage as enemy armies. Don’t be like Urosh !

Gussars (Gusari)
    Ottoman raiding tactics forced Serbs to put more emphasis on light cavalry. In 15th century appeared hussars - regiments of light horseman, experts in raiding an counter raiding.
    Word hussar probably originates from Serbian gusar which means pirate, marauder.
    Many gusars were refugees from Ottoman onslaught. Having lost their land they turned to military profession as source of income, becoming well regarded mercenaries in Hungary, Poland and beyond. Concept proved successful and was copied by many.
    Gusars used specially produced long, but lightweight, lance to great advantage. It gave them greater reach than Turkish light lancers, their main opponents. Only protection of hussar was large shield, since all armor was sacrificed for speed.

Crossbowmen
    Crossbows started to appear in Serbia armies during the 14th century, anperiod of gradual westernization of the army. They have pros and cons compared to bows: shorter range, longer reload time, but greater armor penetration. Also, crossbow requires significantly shorter training time to master. In Serbian armies crossbowmen continued to be outnumbered by the bowmen, even in late medieval period.
    These men were paid regulars with plenty of military experience. Shields are not used and their mail and brigandine armors are only protection. Crossbowmen’s secondary weapon of choice is usually sabre, but if has to use it - battle is not going as planned.

Ragusan cakoni
    In addition to merchant navy, Republic of Ragusa used network of trade caravans to reach deep into Balkans. Of special interest to the republic were mining cities in Serbia where colonies of Ragusan merchants settled. With gold and silver from those mines Serbs would pay for the goods that were brought in. Especially profitable was arms trade, in 14 and 15th century Ragusans supplied whole western Balkans with firearms, cannons and gunpowder from their own manufactories.
    According to local law Ragusans who owned land in Serbia had to participate in garrison duty. Ones that weren’t landowners could also help - which they often did. After all, too much money was at stake !
    Historically Ragusan merchants fought in siege of Novo Brdo along with its Serbian garrison. Ottomans managed to capture the town in 1441. after two years of heroic resistance.

Handgunners
    First handguns appeared in Serbia in the beginning of the 15 century. Rich gold and silver mines enabled Despots to buy cutting-edge technology and hire experts to wield it.
    At this stage, however, handguns (Serbian - puška) made more of morale than physical damage. They were hard to aim precisely and had limited range ( but if target was hit - shot would go through almost any armor ). However- thundering sounds, violent flashes, and awful smells would scare men and horses alike.
    These men are professional soldiers. Most of them are locals, but some are mercenaries from Hungary. Shields are not used and their mail and brigandine armors are only protection. Their secondary weapon of choice is usually sabre, but if it has to be used - battle is not going well.

Cuman Light Horse Archers
    Fleeing the Mongol invasion a group of Cumans found refuge in Hungary, but they weren't greeted with open arms. When their leader was killed in 1241. they emigrated further south.
    In Serbia they found employment in king’s service and became important part of his “Oriental mercenaries”. Cuman contingent numbered up to 2,000 cavalrymen - loyal to king’s person and serving as his bodyguards.
    These steppe horse-archers were feared warriors which won civil-wars, quelled rebellions, defeated Latins at Pelagonia and Turks at Gallipoli.
    But not all was well between Serb employers and those “heathens” occasionally burned down holy places and churches.
    Their story ends in 14th century when Byzantine emperor asked king of Serbia to lend Cumans to him for a quick job… and forgot to ever return them.

German man-at-arms
    German and Latin mercenaries started to appear in Serbian armies at the beginning of 14th century. Several companies of Germans were employed over the decades.
    Best known of them was the contingent of mercenaries from Austria and Slovenia under command of captain Palman from Letinberch which became a elite bodyguard troop of Tsar Stefan Dušan.
    At least 300 knights and man-at-arms were permanently attached to his court, always at disposal.
    German men-at-arms fought as heavily armored cavalry, but if needed, on foot as well. Byzantines spoke with envy of these heavy armored men of “exceptional strength and best training”.
    Indeed, these well organized and trained mercenaries played a prominent role in the Serbian victories of the period.

Bosnian Vlastela
    Protected by inaccessible terrain and thick castle walls, high landowning nobility of were the true masters of Bosnia. No king could be appointed without their support, or retain the throne without their obedience. Ever more troubling, a lot of Bosnian nobles were members of local “Bosnian church” which was seen as heretical to both Catholic and Orthodox clergy. Several crusades were aimed at its destruction, none successful.
    14th century Bosnia had its own arms production, but these wealthy men wanted fine Italian of German armors imported via Dalmatian ports. Therefore their arms and equipment are almost “western” in appearance.
    In battle they fought as proper knights - on horseback, with lances and swords.

Grand Prince
    Grand princes ruled Serbia from 1091–1217, most of the time as Byzantine vassals. But by 1204. empire was on its knees after losing its capital Constantinople and most several provinces to crusaders. Byzantine misfortune meant independence for the Serbs.
    Grand prince (Veliki Župan) was overall military commander, but his power was limited by the nobles. For example he did not have authority to raise army without approval of assembly (Sabor). He was expected to lead the army personally, and nobility had issues with accepting authority of another appointed commander.
    Veliki Župan was followed by nobles of the court, and these were experienced warriors trained from young age. Ruler and his retinue had best armors available; lamellar corselet over mail shirt and padded gambeson underneath. Not even a heavy lance could go trough !

King
    Grand principality of Serbia was elevated to kingdom in 1217 when Stefan Nemanjić was crowned by the Papal legate (!) which did not go well with local Orthodox clergy.
    By 14th century king’s authority increased: no longer was approval of assembly needed for mobilisation. For a brief moment Serbian rulers were even proclaimed Tsars “of Serbs and Romans” and tried to establish an empire.
    King of Serbia (Kralj) was accompanied into battle by nobles (vlastela) of the court and the foreign mercenary guard. Mercenaries, as seasoned soldiers, had a secondary role was as tutors to younger nobles. For this purpose special school was founded at ruler’s court.
    King and his retinue had their armor made by best Italian craftsmen. In 14th century this meant coat-of-plates vest, mails hauberk, gauntlets and leg armor. Helmets were mostly bascinets of kettle-hats

Despot
    After disastrous Ottoman defeat at Ankara in 1402. Serbia was independent once again. As sign of his new status knez Stefan Lazarević received title of Despot from Byzantine emperor. Originally it was a senior Byzantine court title, or title of ruler of vassal state, but this time empire had no control or influence over Serbia.
    Despots managed to break power of the high nobility (vlastela) - their power was now unquestioned. Financed by the rich gold and silver mines, state was consolidated, and military capabilities increased.
    By 15th century Hungary became main source of inspiration on military matters. Despot’s guards, all professional soldiers and seasoned veterans, wore full plate armor and were almost indistinguishable from Hungarian knights.

---------------
    descriptions for Serbia are now now done,
    Croatia is next
    Last edited by Matthæus; October 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Matthæus wasn't Marko Kraljević a traitor, who fought and died on the side of the Ottomans in 1395 ad. against the Hungarians and Wallachians?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast