Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contribute an Unit Description for MKTW!

Default Contribute an Unit Description for MKTW!

Do you feel you're someone who loves this mod and all that it offers? You want to contribute something, but you don't have any knowledge of modding? Even so, you still want to contribute...well, at least you can type and post something...

Then use your writing talent to make some unit descriptions for MKTW units! Basically, pick your some units in MKTW, perhaps your favourites, and write a short caption of historical description. For example :
    Kharash
    The Mongols make sure to use their prisoner's skills and talents valuable to the horde. Although, its unfortunate if your only talent is being fat targets for human shields and arrow fodders.
    It can be a simple short description, or perhaps you want to be poetic? Quoting something or making some references? Go ahead. But remember to be informative about the historical background of the unit, that is more important. However, a poetic/humorous historical description, that's the best.

Now, lets see what great things we can get, and who knows, our contribution might be put on the mod!
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; April 15, 2017 at 06:55 AM.

Default Re: Contribute an Unit Description for MKTW!

Heck, I'll give it a try.

Men at Arms
    Short Description:Heavily armed and armored professional soldiers called to fight for their lord or captain.

Long Description:
    Heavily armored, professional soldiers in the service of feudal lords or mercenary companies. Wielding armor-piercing poleaxes and lucerne hammers and clad in thick plate mail, these soldiers are a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

Not too poetic, but I think it gets the job done.

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

Well lets see what we can do.
    Varangoi
    Short Description: The elite of elite, armed with a two-handed axe ready to hatch down the enemies of the empire.

Long Description:
    Varangoi were formally Russians or Varangianns as they were known at the start. Now they are more Anglo-Saxons than russians, yet they fight with the same fury as ever. These people are armed with a two-handed axe mail armor and a shield on there backs and are loyal to whoever the emperor is.

Kataphraktoi
    Short Description: Armed with mail armor both man and mount these classic Roman soldiers are disciplined and ready to spread fear and disorder to the enemy lines.

Long Description:
    Heavily armored from head to toe with mail armor both man and mound. They may by a bit outdated, yet with a mace and a lance as weapons of preference they are worthy of respect. Byzantium is the last country to refer to its cavalry as Cataphracts, if Byzantium were to fall then Cataphracts will fall with it while protecting it.

The last unit I'm gonna describe hasn't been made yet but I really want to see it.
    Greek Fire
    Short Description:Made in Hell to serve heaven.

Long Description:
    It had lots of names like Greek Fire, War Fire or Liquid Fire. While in Latin Europe is more commonly known as Greek Fire due to the country it came from, Greece is known as Liquid Fire(ὑγρὸν πῦρ hygròn pŷr) because of its nature. When something got in fire then it couldn't stop burning with water but it will make it worse. Due to that Greek Fire was the most important secret in the empire and only the most loyal men would wield it.

HANDGUNNERS: Soldiers armed with mysterious weapons from the heavens themselves.
    Long description: These men are armed with Primitive gunpowder weapons called handguns. They have relatively short range but are excellent at piercing all kinds of armor and the men are relatively well armored and trained for melee combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Styl2000 View Post
    Well lets see what we can do.
    Varangoi
    Short Description: The elite of elite, armed with a two-handed axe ready to hatch down the enemies of the empire.

Long Description:
    Varangoi were formally Russians or Varangianns as they were known at the start. Now they are more Anglo-Saxons than russians, yet they fight with the same fury as ever. These people are armed with a two-handed axe mail armor and a shield on there backs and are loyal to whoever the emperor is.
    I think varangians were initilaly Norse, not Russians.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Well they were initially Norse but they migrated and created Kievan Rus .
    The earliest members of the Varangian guard came from Kievan Rus. A treaty between Rus and the Byzantine empire under Michael III was agreed in 874 after a period of hostilities. A clause in the treaty obliged Rus to provide men for Byzantine service. Renewed hostilities between 907 and 911 ended with a new treaty under which any Rus who could chose to serve Byzantium as a right.
    Last edited by Bobi_TWR; June 19, 2016 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobi_TWR View Post
    Well they were initially Norse but they migrated and created Kievan Rus .
    The earliest members of the Varangian guard came from Kievan Rus. A treaty between Rus and the Byzantine empire under Michael III was agreed in 874 after a period of hostilities. A clause in the treaty obliged Rus to provide men for Byzantine service. Renewed hostilities between 907 and 911 ended with a new treaty under which any Rus who chose could serve Byzantium as a right.
    Well yeah, but they were still Norsemen.
    Also "russian" is kinda anachronistic for the time, it would be like speaking of Italians in the time of Rome.

Bohemian macemen: The king thought it would be A-MACE-ING to have them on the field.

White Bishop's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Maroni_The_Bat2 View Post
    Bohemian macemen: The king thought it would be A-MACE-ING to have them on the field.
    They'll really hammer that victory home.

Ok so a little edit, as i've misunderstood a bit: Bohemian macemen: The armed elite of the bohemian army, so good theyre A-Mace-ING

Longbowmen: You'd almost think they were compensating for something...

Peasants and commoners armed with a yew longbow standing at six foot in length. From afar their bows are powerful but with little to no protection will quickly be cut down.

"Rem tene; verba sequentur." - Grasp the subject, the words will follow.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

This thread is a year old, they've probably made the descriptions by now.
    That said, whats the point in doing long descriptions? You can't actually get them in-game (or at least I can't work out how to). You can only get short descriptions in-game.

Actually no, there are no descriptions currently in the mod. And you are correct regarding the long descriptions.

This thread was made before I'm in the team. But until now, only a very small percentage of units even have descriptions.

Now, after it was pointed out that only short descriptions works when hovering the cursor over the unit's name, its better to give historical descriptions over some tongue-in-cheek descriptions. Being able to be informative, describing historical background while being a bit humorous, that's better of course.

I would like to contribute, what is the character limit for short descriptions?

Tadzreuli: A tad bit better than their counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishmend View Post
    I would like to contribute, what is the character limit for short descriptions?
    I don't think there's technically any difference between short descriptions and historical description character limit, so don't mind about the limit. Just do it.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    I don't think there's technically any difference between short descriptions and historical description character limit, so don't mind about the limit. Just do it.
    You'd want it to look uniform though wouldn't you? Be a bit weird if one description is just 2 lines whilst another takes up half the screen.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Maroni_The_Bat2 View Post
    Tadzreuli: A tad bit better than their counterparts.
    It would be pretty cool if every description had some sort of cringyworthy pun.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Kjertesvein, I did it to some of the georgian unit names in Discord They ended up like this

​Cringe warning

Svan archers/crossbows: So graceful these men were, they truly were the swans of the medieval world.
    Mtieli swordsmen: So good these men were, they had their own excecution, the colombian neck mtieli (only funny if you pronounce tie min mtieli as the word tie)
    The tadzreuli one you already saw.
    Georgian spearmen: They have georgious spears, too bad theyre in your guts.
    Aznauri Cavalry: So good they have their own alcoholic drink. (I googled aznauri and got a wine bottle in pictures)
    Metsikhovne spearmen: How did I pronounce it again, spearmen?
    Monaspa guardsmen: So good guards they'd make the emperor moanaspa.

Also two Nicaean units:
    Peltastoi: Peltastoi? More like Peltast-wow!
    Mourtatoi: A mourtal blow

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast