Thread: [Discussion] A humble request for more official threads on game-play mechanics

Default [Discussion] A humble request for more official threads on game-play mechanics

Taken from my post in Questions regarding the Roman Offices System (v2.2a):

Note: My statement below is from a thread/post that was mainly concerned with the Roman offices system and military reforms.

@My request for an official thread on Roman Offices (and other faction's Offices) and Military Reforms

I know this can sound frustrating and even infuriating. After all, you are doing all this tremendous work in your spare time. Getting only half the appreciation you truely deserve. And then folks (in this case I) come along nit-picking and nagging, and telling you what to do. But I'm not only asking for some (more) official stickies on game-play mechanics for my own benefit. I'm quite capable to dive in the forums and find good threads like Poppi's, or if need be to ask a question in the EBII forum.

The main reason I ask for these official stickies is, that I think it would be a shame, to have all these elaborate mechanics (as offices, reforms, governments etc.) implemented in this really fantastic mod, only to be mostly ignored or even have players abandon their campaing due to difficulties to find information on these mechanics.
    Before starting my current Rome campaign, I was actually going to play a Hellenic faction (also because I'm actually a total sucker for Hellenic factions; since EB1), but in remembrance of some great campaigns with ImperatorII for RTR (back in the days before I discovered EB1) I was single-minded to play Rome in EBII. But the one thing that made me waver, was that I knew, I would have to work with the Roman Offices system - the singular reason I never played Rome in EB1.
    But then I told myself: Well now, if that's the way, the team want's me to play this faction - and if they can make this great mod-, then that's the way I'll play these damn Romans. And hell... am I happy, I started my Rome campaign.

What I was trying to say, before getting carried away, is that I really appreciate all the work and imense amount of free time you are putting into this mod. And for as many people as possible to be able to enjoy this mod in all it's nuances from the get-go (without being around the forums 24/7), to have official stickies for the most important mechanics, would be a great thing.

I'm not asking for a full manual on all factions and mechanics. But imo to have official sticky threads (in either/or in the main forum or the "eb gameplay guides and aars") for military reforms, offices systems etc. and even perhaps one for each faction, would be a good idea. These threads would not have to be headed by an elaborate Original Post by the team on day one. But a fairly simple OP by the team (than can be expanded over time), could be the base of a commnity-driven information gathering. And over weeks and months team members could expand on the (originally very simple OP) and/or official moderators could implement community information in the OP of these official stickies.

I know, that I will get told, that there is a thread here on X and a post yonder on Y and if you are looking for Z see this post in sub-forum A... and that's all fine. But lots of these posts and threads are outdated. And what mostly bugs me (for casual TWC members and noobs; as I can eventually get most information I'm looking for here), is that so many hours and days and months and years and blood, sweat and tears are put into mods. But there is so often little thought of how the finished product might be seen by outsiders (i.e. non-team-members / sub-forum newcomers). Often threads and posts explaining issues are only comprehensible by longtime followers of the mod or experienced TW-mod-fans, as they presuppose knowlegde no newcomer can have. That goes for most, if not all mods I know of. And it's a real shame.

It's like driving a modern car up to a Cro-Magnon man, flinging him the key and saying while walking away: This is the best car ever. Have fun!

Sure, that's a total exaggeration. As EBII does a fair job in explaining some mechanics to a certain degree. Though I really hope the team at least considers my reasoning. I mean, what's the best product worth, if one doesn't know how to handle it properly?

This is a mere pledge by a devoted fan, for whom EBII is atm the best game he's playing.

Regards
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; June 15, 2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: only corrected typos

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [Discussion] A humble request for more official threads on game-play mechanics

We're working on something like what you propose, because there have been other people who've complained about a lack of transparency as well. It'll take some time to compile everything though and as such, no ETA.

Default Re: [Discussion] A humble request for more official threads on game-play mechanics

Great to hear!

In the long term it will perhaps also free some time resources, as you don't have to answer similar questions time and time again. Which I suppose, can be quite aggravating and distracting.

If you have distinguished stickies for mechanics, issues and factions, then we (the players/fan) all can give you (the team) posts and infos, so the job is less troublesome.

Again. Good to hear, you are already on it. +rep

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    Great to hear!

In the long term it will perhaps also free some time resources, as you don't have to answer similar questions time and time again. Which I suppose, can be quite aggravating and distracting.

If you have distinguished stickies for mechanics, issues and factions, then we (the players/fan) all can give you (the team) posts and infos, so the job is less troublesome.

Again. Good to hear, you are already on it. +rep
    We do have to write if first! There might be some issues if things change a bit due to rebalancing, but that's something to worry about if it comes up.

Thanks for the rep, but I'm only the messenger. If you want to rep the guys more involved in this, give some to gustave (who came up with the idea) or Anubis88 (who's doing most of the compiling /writing).
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

I'll sure do!

Thanks anyhow!

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

You don't bother us, my friend, like cohors_evocata said I had the same idea a few days ago, and anubis88 is working on it. When playing EB2 I noticed some gameplay mechanics were obscure or not well-explained, hopefully this guide will make your life easier.

With this thread in mind, I've now updated the reforms thread with all the conditions as at 2.2b.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    With this thread in mind, I've now updated the reforms thread with all the conditions as at 2.2b.
    You are a treasure, for this and all other contributions.