View Poll Results: Were you ever affected by this issue?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes (Rome 2, Attila or Warhammer)

17 68.00%
  • no

4 16.00%
  • cannot tell, I was never aware of that

4 16.00%

Thread: Plea for fixing the launcher bug once and for all

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Plea for fixing the launcher bug once and for all

Dear CA

I am not sure if this is just a matter of lazyness or you intentionally want to compromise the active player & game stats on Steam /joking

Again I got asked how I like Warhammer, if I am still playing my campaign, etc while being online on Steam. This confused me as I was not playing Warhammer (anymore) But still Steam users will be shown that I am actually playing Warhammer.

Why is that? Because of the old bug that the launcher will not close correctly. It is not visible as application anymore but it remains as dead task in the taskmanager

This problem goes back to Medieval 2, where the launcher will not close correctly and so the music of the launcher keeps playing. Perhaps some will remind this.

Of course the Medieval 2 launcher is (I suppose it is) a different one compared to the launcher you introduced with Rome 2 but still I wonder why this never got fixed.

Screenshot shows that Warhammer is not anymore running on the taskbar as active application, but still in Taskmanager and also as active game on Steam.

The problem with the launcher affects:

- Rome 2
    - Attila
    - Total War Arena

and now even Warhammer

Please do me / us players a favor and care about to fix it for every single game. It is just a minor issue but annoying aswell.

Kind regards,
    al Qamar
    Last edited by alQamar; October 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: Plea for fixing the launcher bug once and for all

This bug drives me bananas. I hate coming back to my computer two days later to see that I have 42 more hours played of a game than I actually do. I swear more than half my time playing Rome II is actually the game running in the background (or whatever).

It seems to happen less often with Warhammer, though.

Gotta get those in game player number up buds.

I always use task manager to give TW a higher priority, and after I am done playing I check my active processes. Its annoying that I sort of have to do this, but whatever. I just made task manager part of my gaming life

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello guys, great to have your feedback, I really thought I am alone with this nasty issue. If anyone of you has got access to the official forum please consider posting it there aswell. Please do not post in my name or on my behalf though, the don't like that.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I have this issue with Attila almost 50% of the time. Steam refuses to close and I have to go into the Task Manager to close it. This is frustrating. I hadn't realised it contributed to Steam stats however and that is pernicious to say the least.

This is curious. I have never had this issue.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

There have been some (content) updates for Warhammer. Any news in this regard?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi guys,
    meanwhile I managed to face this problem that Warhammer as process will remain running in the taskmanager on another rig, and this time it is reproducible. I ran some benchmarks on a FRESH installed AMD rig with Windows 10 1607 CU October 2016 where just TW games are installed.

Warhammer in 10 of 10 launches never quit by itself after leaving the game, just like described in the OP but this time - and for the first time on my behalf this is even reproducible. But only on this particular AMD system though, not on my main rig where it does happen just occasionally.

I've also noticed that the launcher does a lot of CPU load (no mods loading or involved) and there will pop up literally 2 dozend processes of awesonium, I consider them to use as webbrowsing toolkit for the launcher and ingame encyclopedia.

What about your experiences with the latest Warhammer?
    Last edited by alQamar; October 20, 2016 at 11:52 PM.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

It happens for me like 7 out of 10 times, usually every time if I run the game in windowed mode.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

This is interesting Litharion, I haven't used wimdowed mode on this particular AMD rig but still happens anytime.
    So you say there's a higher chance for it to happen in windowed mode? And are you on Intel or AMD? What's your GPU?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

I am running an AMD CPU and nvidia GPU (650) and it definitely happens more often in windowed mode. It is quite annoying especially when modding the game. It never happened with Rome 2, Attila I can not tell for sure, so it was not noticeable I believe.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

that could be ca's way to boost the player base steam stats, just saying. I have zero evidence to back this up.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

It happened to me once in a while. Can't say I'm too bothered with it though. That said, I can only remember happened with Warhammer once. The rest were from Attila amd none I can remember from other games.

Anyway, unless the issue will somehow affect my pc or actual gaming whatsoever, it's not something that I will consider a priority.
    Last edited by LestaT; October 22, 2016 at 11:48 PM.

I had that glitch back in Rome 2, because of it I have twice the hours then I should on the game.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thanks for your feedback alltogether. Of course Lestat it is not high priority bug but since it exists for such a long time they could have looked into it and fixed it for all of them.

This also happens to me in Rome 2 less often (a few times), in Attila somewhat regularly and in Warhammer a lot in Windowed mode.

Steam continues to see the game as running and you have to shut it down manually.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----