Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POPE and how to deal with him (diplomacy, reputation)

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Reputation and agressive pope

I just use the console command : surrender_regions papal_states everytime the pope goes on a conquering spree since he ruins my immersion greatly when he conquers half of europe lol.

Another reason reputation is important for catholic faction is because most of them don't have a good access to a good assault infantry, other than knights. Therefore, holy orders are very important for them, and you can only recruit from these when your reputation is positive.

Many thanks for your replies. Attached a save from year 1296 when I was practically already doomed attacked on all sides: France, Denmark, Hungary, Venice and of course the instigator of all this, our beloved pope! Interesting detail my faction was destroyed by ca. 1303 and this happened incredibly fast, since 30 years before or so I was the strongest faction on the map! Seriously! Nearly all of the German regions were mine including a foot in Italy (I had already lost the French territories in a previous quarrel with the pope). Sadly I have no save from that fair period...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by stefdim7 View Post
    Many thanks for your replies. Attached a save from year 1296 when I was practically already doomed attacked on all sides: France, Denmark, Hungary, Venice and of course the instigator of all this, our beloved pope! Interesting detail my faction was destroyed by ca. 1303 and this happened incredibly fast, since 30 years before or so I was the strongest faction on the map! Seriously! Nearly all of the German regions were mine including a foot in Italy (I had already lost the French territories in a previous quarrel with the pope). Sadly I have no save from that fair period...
    Thanks @stefdim, I've even included it in the download page describing the difficulty of the mod ;-)
    I'll have the HRE file as the reference how the situation looks like after those 300 turns. Very useful for me. You've used the version with or without KCC? Patch E or F/G?

Something you have to keep in mind is that the bigger your nation gets, the more neighbors it will be forced to interact with. If you completely forgo diplomacy, or just don't give it enough attention, you will quickly find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer amount of invading forces. Make alliances with all your neighbors, and send them occasional gifts to keep their relations above Very Good (a 10k bag should suffice), and you will be safe from invasions. An alliance is also a non-aggression pact. Sure, they are broken way more often in this mod than, say, in EB2, in which they are rock solid, but different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Thanks @stefdim, I've even included it in the download page describing the difficulty of the mod ;-)
    I'll have the HRE file as the reference how the situation looks like after those 300 turns. Very useful for me. You've used the version with or without KCC? Patch E or F/G?
    Because I had problems with the installation following the steps you describe in the download page, I downloaded the full pack version of Kostic that was shared by him in a post at about the beginning of December(?) or so. The info you get when you start the game, related to the contributors, difficulty level etc. refers to Patch E...

Quote Originally Posted by stefdim7 View Post
    Because I had problems with the installation following the steps you describe in the download page, I downloaded the full pack version of Kostic that was shared by him in a post at about the beginning of December(?) or so. The info you get when you start the game, related to the contributors, difficulty level etc. refers to Patch E...
    ok, so it's SSHIP 097 patch E + KCC. I'll have a look.

I wonder if it not just possible to take the "papal state" lines from the descr-campaign-ai of vanilla and to integrate them in the descr-campaign-ai of the mod, replacing current "papal state" lines. Or it will completely mess up everything ? Another option would be to do the same from the original SS descr-campaign-ai (as far as I remember, the SS pope is not so aggressive).

Default Give the pope settlements?

Any scenarios when you give the pope settlements and why?

Default Re: Give the pope settlements?

cheesy tactics, IIRC, you can give him Sardigna et Corsica to keep him at bay (and do something else, I don't remember, it's somewhere in the @Alavaria entries).
    But I would think it's unhistorical so one should deal with him without resorting to such things... see the link in my sig.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Give the pope settlements?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    cheesy tactics, IIRC, you can give him Sardigna et Corsica to keep him at bay (and do something else, I don't remember, it's somewhere in the @Alavaria entries).
    But I would think it's unhistorical so one should deal with him without resorting to such things... see the link in my sig.
    Good point, which prob end my question i would say

I never seen that list before, like it and have to admit im guilty of point 2 and 3, without that im pretty good, playing like this will even make the game more fun. Thanks

Foederatus

Default Re: POPE and how to deal with him (diplomacy, reputation)

Yeah, he backstab-ed me as well playing as Pisa, wasn't happy with ally doing that and then getting excommunicated! Fortunately was able to swing enough troops back to defeat his army, just, and over next few turns drove him back to Rome. He wouldn't get the message so captured Rome and even then he would not accept piece, even if I offered to return Rome and pay 20k. I was worried he would call Crusade on Rome so ended up selling everything not nailed down in the city and letting it rebel back to him, then waited for him to sally forth and reduced his army to a few dozen men before laying siege to the city again and after about 6 more turns was able to get them to surrender and become my vassal. Was still excommunicated but I got 100,000 florins next turn for my trouble, bit of compensation I guess. About 20 turns later my FL died and I've been reconciled but most of my generals have bad piety traits so that's going to take a while to fix. Anyway now he's got a shell of a city and I get all his excess cash. Just to be sure I keep the surrounding cities with good garrisons but so far after 50 turns he's been a good little pope. HRE still at war with me but I'm slowly hollowing them out. Most other factions not happy with me but that seems to come with increasing size so no great issue there - it is Total War after all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackader View Post
    I wonder if it not just possible to take the "papal state" lines from the descr-campaign-ai of vanilla and to integrate them in the descr-campaign-ai of the mod, replacing current "papal state" lines.
    I did just that, it seems to work fine so far

You can test this CAI by downloading it from this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12