Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started - Modding for Newbies

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Getting Started - Modding for Newbies

Accidently posted this, if a mod sees it feel free to delete this message.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; July 02, 2016 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWarhammer View Post
    Hey could you explain the Rigid Models? I don't see any mention of them and I am wanting to edit unit armour colour etc. BTW AMAZING GUIDE
    I figure trying to edit units models and stuff is just too much effort without an official VariantEditor.
    You could edit the colour of individual models that make up a unit, eg make the tunic dark blue and the trousers yellow but in the variantmeshdefinition it doesn't actually use RGB so there's no easy way I can think of to work it out.
    Check out faction_colour and unit_colour tables, or something like that. You can recolour units individually, or a faction as a whole I think.

Quote Originally Posted by string3rb3ll View Post
    I'm working on creating new skills for lords. I've to create the skill, can find it and use it in game, but it is missing the text for the name of the skill, and for the description. I've got .loc files for charcater_skills_level_details and character_skills_core. Looking at the files for other mods that have done this, I know I need txt files, but I can't work out what I need in them. Thanks
    Try reverse engineering this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=694078335
    Basically you should only need to add a character skill, and I think you can ignore the ancillaries tables.
    When you make changes in the Assembly Kit is usually exports a .loc and a .txt file for you that are exactly the same, you only need the .loc file and can just delete the .txt
    They're found in local_en.pack by the way.

Vette's Avatar Civis

I was updating the stats after the patch and my mod is considered out of date.Also its not working because game dont starts.I wonder whay is it out of date and whay game doesnt start I had same changes just without Blood Dragon Knights?

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    I was updating the stats after the patch and my mod is considered out of date.Also its not working because game dont starts.I wonder whay is it out of date and whay game doesnt start I had same changes just without Blood Dragon Knights?
    It shouldn't be a problem if your mod is considered to be out of date, as long as you have the option to load out of date mods selected.
    There can be different reasons why your game won't start. Did you create the mod after the patch? Which files did you edit?
    Last edited by Larynja; July 05, 2016 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the stuff that was changed in the Blood and Gore patch, just fix these tables and it should work.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/d.../?appid=364360

When polishing a mod for compatibility, should I be worrying about the text section? Or just clean up and rename the databases?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    When polishing a mod for compatibility, should I be worrying about the text section? Or just clean up and rename the databases?
    May as well polish everything if you want good compatability. I don't think you need the .text files, eg unit_names.text, only the .loc eg unit_names.loc

Hellow¡, i would like to thx everyone here for the thread, really helpfull ;D.
    I was trying myself to do something, but it seems im stuck and i cant advance...
    -my objetive was to change Heinrich legendary lord for a "custom - master necromancer" model... not a new one, ill explain: i can succesfully change it for a "random" master necromancer" (like the normal one on campaing), and a normal infantry unit model (for science¡¡¡¡)... ok, now starts the problems... i wanted to replicate another mod (doesn´t exists anymore), in wich the master necromancer model gets another head (a grave guard head), and now i was trying to do the same but with the new sternsmen heads... the result is an invisible Heinrich legendary lord...

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the variantmeshes for Heinrich right now with the new heads, the rest is the full "master necromancer" codes... can someone pls help me locate where is the mistake?
    Thx a lot, and im sorry for my english, not my strong point .

Caligula do you know how to change the weapon of karl Franz (shield & sword or greatsword)?

p.s. Thank you very much for this tutorial!!!

Gengi87's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by ninpou View Post
    Caligula do you know how to change the weapon of karl Franz (shield & sword or greatsword)?

p.s. Thank you very much for this tutorial!!!
    A late answer ... but stil useful for others newbie:
    On visual side you can change hammer from variantmeshdefinition, changing hammer with sword, than if you use sword or gratsword you also need to applying different animation_model with the same one of swordsman (for sword) and the one of greatswords(for gratswords)

So, I've been going through this to try and learn how to use the modding tools, and I came to this part.

If we were editing a non-startpos file, the exported table would appear in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\assembly_kit\working_data. You would then copy the directory, right click in PFM and click Add – Directory and paste the directory in there, eg C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\assembly_kit\working_data\db
    So... what happens if it IS a startpos file? Where does it go? And when I go to close the Assmembly kit, it says that there's values that need to be submitted before other users can use it. There's nothing in there about that. Might be useful to clarify.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find a tutorial that explains what sort of stuff is where in the data, I'd love to know.

Also, what does it mean if a table is red or blue in the PFM?

Quote Originally Posted by Gacku View Post
    Also, what does it mean if a table is red or blue in the PFM?
    I believe it means that PFM is not up to date because a patch has changed that table quite a bit.
    You can usually edit these tables with the Assembly Kit.

I'll explain what to do if its a startpos file but I haven't done it for years. If I remember correctly then in TWeak you'd export the changes to binary, close TWeak and open BoB.exe instead and do what I've done in this Rome 2 screenshot http://i.imgur.com/r7TxgpM.png
    Click campaigns - whatever campaign you're editing - tick it - tick the two boxes and click Start.
    Now as it processes, go to Steam and a pop-up should occur requesting permission to start Warhammer, let it.
    Then if everything worked, the new files will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Warhammer\assembly_kit\retail\data and be called mod.pack

Pretty bad instructions lols, but I haven't done any startpos stuff for Warhammer.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; January 18, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Anyone know where to edit abilities?
    I want to edit the damage and time on warriorpriests "Soulfire"
    There's a abilities table but its empty

Also thanks Caligula, you helped me make my first mod![COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.701961)]

[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Spadde; January 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadde View Post
    Anyone know where to edit abilities?
    I want to edit the damage and time on warriorpriests "Soulfire"
    There's a abilities table but its empty[/COLOR]
    It'll be in the "special_abilities" section near the bottom. When I did special abilities months ago you couldn't actually edit it via PFM, and had to use the Assembly Kit. Perhaps use the Assembly Kit's search function, to search the ability and you'll be able to find all entries related to it.

Ive found all the tables that the spell is referenced to in assemblykit but theres no column (atleast that I understand) that determines damage, only the time and range etc.

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Caligula, I followed your modding intructions, I can load the mod, but the game doesn't actually apply the changes.

I recorded this video to show what I do and the result. What am I missing?

Oh, and just a by the by, is the PFM know for being so unstable that you can't open more then one table, one after the other, or save without it crashing on you?

EDIT: After some reading I thought the problem could have been the fact that I named the mod Quick Carl Franz mod, instead of Quick_Carl_Franz_Mod. But after creating steel_bar_men and crazy_people, I think that's pretty debunked. No stat or name changes that I have done have been visable in the costum battle menu.
    Last edited by Matmannen; March 07, 2017 at 06:24 AM.

I've got no idea, it looks perfect and should work...
    I was going to suggest naming it Quick_Carl_Franz_Mod but you already tested that out.

Perhaps ask Sebidee, he knows MUCH more about unit creation than me. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...r-Unit-Modding

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    I've got no idea, it looks perfect and should work...
    I was going to suggest naming it Quick_Carl_Franz_Mod but you already tested that out.

Perhaps ask Sebidee, he knows MUCH more about unit creation than me. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...r-Unit-Modding
    Yeah, I just read through his tutorial and decided i woud have a go. Thx for taking the time to respond to my concern =)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast