Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started - Modding for Newbies

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Getting Started - Modding for Newbies

Chad V (Vandy) from the C&C Modding Den Discord has created a Modding For Dummies guide. He's a much better Warhammer modder than me, so here ya go.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NrsKGuU2o/edit

Welcome!
    This guide will aim to teach you the very basics of how modding works, primarily through the use of the Assembly Kit and the Pack File Manager. Before we begin, I'd like to reassure you that modding truly is easy. The skills it requires are an ability to problem solve, determination and being able to commit time to a project. Not all of modding is easy sailing however, you may come up against roadblocks that consume hours of your time, until you inevitably tweak a single value and it all starts working perfectly. I'd suggest networking, and not feeling afraid to add fellow modders and ask questions if you're stuck. We're pretty much all fairly friendly and will help as best we can if we can. If you have a network of people to turn to, the struggles you run into are less and everything goes more smoothly.

Creative Assembly's "Total War" series has quite a huge degree of moddability. At the moment you can add unit stats, animations, UI, text files, campaign starting positions, add new units, add entirely new features and gamemodes, and much much more. Hopefully the ability to import custom models into the game, battle map creation and additional areas of modding will become available in the future as Creative Assembly releases the tools to do so. Now to the actual guide...

Getting Started I: Getting Started
    Before you can hop into the realm of modding and start creating your brave new world of Warhammer tweaks and balances, you will require a few tools.

First and foremost amongst them, the Total War: Warhammer Pack File Manager. This will be your main tool with which to create and fix your mods.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hammer-support

The second tool every modder needs before adventuring into the wild is the Assembly Kit. To download this you need a Steam account. Go to Library – Tools and download “Total War: Warhammer – Assembly Kit BETA”.

A third tool you’ll need is Notepad++ or an equivalent.
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.2.html

Finally, you’ll also need a computer art editing thing such as paint.net, gimp or Photoshop depending on which tool you prefer and how artistic you want to be.

How the Pack File Manager Works II: How the Pack File Manager Works
    The Pack File Manager, hereafter known as “PFM” is the tool you’ll be using most often. Here you can edit most tables in the game, and even those which are Assembly Kit only will require PFM for a little bit of polishing.
    When you first install it, you’ll be asked to direct it to your installations of any Total War games you own.

Firstly, open it up. Click the “Game” button at the top, and ensure its set to TWH (Total War Warhammer).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After this, click File – Open CA Pack.
    Here you can see all the mods and vanilla files you have installed. Open data.pack. This includes most of the base game files, from unit stats to animation sequences to UI.
    The “db” subtable is where most of the information is stored, this is the database.

Open “db” and then feel free to look through a couple of tables. After you’ve done that, got to land_units_tables. Total War Warhammer has data__ch_ files and data__core files, standing for Chaos Warriors DLC and vanilla files. (I assume people who don’t own the DLC will only have data__core files).
    land_units_table is filled with stuff concerning units such as their stats, UI group, animations, description and more.
    You will notice you can’t edit these files, because they’re a Read Only file.

We’re now going to make a mod that edits the stats of Karl Franz, Elector Count of Reikland and Prince of Altdorf.
    Click the button File – New at the top. This will create a blank mod for you.
    Now right click anywhere in the white area on the left of the screen, and click Add – From Pack.

It should automatically navigate to where you have Warhammer installed, but if not do that (eg C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\data).
    Select the data.pack, expand it and expand the db table. Scroll down to land_units_tables and right click on it. A message will say “db/land_units_tables/data__core added” on the little window. Click OK.
    Scroll down to “wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0”. This is the base Karl Franz. Numbers 1 to 4 are Karl Franz upon his trusty mounts such as Deathclaw.

Scroll across until you come to morale, and it to 200.

Lets change Karl Franz’s ingame name as well.
    Again you have to right click anywhere in the white area on the left of the screen, and click Add – From Pack.
    Select local_en.pack (I don’t know what the file name will be for people with foreign language versions of Warhammer, sorry). Expand the text table, db table and then double left click on land_units__core.loc
    Select this table in PFM, and click the Tag row at the top. This will order them alphabetically.
    Now search for “land_units_onscreen_name_wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0” and change the localized string to whatever you wish, such as “Memes Xtreme”.

We will quickly do a bit of mod polishing here. Click the Postprocess button – Rename – Rename All and add a prefix to your mod, such as “your_name_”. Mine is “caligula_tutorial_”.

Y’know what? Lets change Karl Franz’s unit card as well.
    If Karl Franz were a normal unit, and not a lord then you would go to data.pack – ui – units – icons.
    As he is a Legendary Lord however, do the ol’ Add – From Pack thing, and go to data.pack – ui – portraits – units – emp_ch_karl_0.png

Now the way I edit UI or variantmeshdefinitons (we’ll get to them in a bit), is to extract them to a folder on my desktop. So now, create a random folder somewhere, right click on the ui file in your mod, and click Extract – Extract Selected, and put it in the folder you made.
    Now you can easily edit it there.
    Once you’ve edited the unit card to your pleasing, go to the ui folder. (Eg I extracted my file to a file called “Tutorial”, and so I’m going to C:\Users\James\Desktop\Tutorial\ui
    Go back to your mod, and make sure you click on the root folder, eg tutorial_mod.pack. Then right click Add – Directory and copy and paste that directory in. Your edited Karl Franz icon will now be in the mod.

Polishing Your Mod/Compatibility III: Polishing Your Mod/Compatibility
    All mod makers should aim for maximum compatibility with their mods. This ensures that you’re giving the mod the best chance to work with other people’s mods as well.
    For our mod, to do this we’ll delete all files that we’re not actually using.
    For example, go to land_units_table and delete all rows except wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0.

To do this, click on the number of the row, hold down shift and click on end row you want to delete and it’ll highlight all of the ones inbetween. Just delete em.
    Do the same with text – db – land_units__core.loc.
    Only keep land_units_concealed_name_wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0 and land_units_onscreen_name_wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0.

Before you leave, make sure every table except UI stuff has a prefix, such as “your_name_”. This ensures that your mod overrides vanilla to the extent of the work you did, and means mods can work together well. If you're making a large mod that creates a lot of units or edits a lot of factions, I like to split the tables up by factions as shown below. It also helps if you're making a mod with another person, as your tables can easily be put together.

Save your mod, and test it out.

The Assembly Kit IV: The Assembly Kit
    Now we’re going to use the Assembly Kit, which can edit a wider variety of tables than PFM.
    First up, launch it and on the top toolbar click Tools – DAVE.

Clicking View – Table Launcher will open up a window which most of the tables in the game. If you edit one table, you may notice that you’ve ended up editing multiple as they’re all tied together pretty much.

We’re going to add new units to Meme Xtreme, our beloved Legendary Lord. In the window, type “start_pos_starting_general”. Click on “start_pos_starting_general_options”. Here you’ll see a list of the Legendary Lords. Take note that Karl Franz is ID 10.

Now close that window, and go to “start_pos_starting_general_option_additional_units”. Click on the second column “general”, to sort by it.
    In the top right hand corner, click the button “Add Record”. This will create a custom unique ID (at the moment of writing, only the Assembly Kit can create IDs that work). For the general column add the value “10”, and for the unit column add wh_main_emp_veh_steam_tank.

Now click Apply and Close in the top right hand corner. After this, click Export – Export Changes to Binary. Once the window at the bottom says “Export successful” feel free to close Tweak.

If we were editing a non-startpos file, the exported table would appear in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\assembly_kit\working_data. You would then copy the directory, right click in PFM and click Add – Directory and paste the directory in there, eg C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\assembly_kit\working_data\db

Variantmeshdefinitions V: Variantmeshdefinitions
    So we’re nearly finished, now you just have to learn what variantmesh definitions are.
    A unit is made up of variantmeshes, such as armour/cloaks/helmets/ect. These are put together in a text file that assigns those parts for units.
    In PFM, add the table “unit_variants_table” from data.pack. In this table, scroll down to “wh_main_emp_cha_karl_franz_0”. We can see that his variant is called “wh_emp_ch_karl_2h_hammer”.
    Now add the files “wh_emp_ch_karl_2h_hammer.variantmeshdefinition” and “emp_ch_balthasar.variantmeshdefinition” from variants.pack
    Open them both, and replace Balthasar Gelt’s body mesh with Karl Franz’s. To do this, highlight everything from between SLOT name =”body” to /SLOT in Gelt’s file and that portion of Karl Franz’s file.
    Now save the files, and we’re done.

The final product of the Karl Franz edits will look like this:

Additional Resources VI: Uploading Your Mod
    To upload your mod to the Steam Workshop, you must create a 256x256 png file for your mod, that has the same name as the mod itself. Both of these files must be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\data
    You then launch Total War: Warhammer via Steam, open the Mod Manager and click "Upload" on your mod. You must agree to the Steam Workshop EULA, and then select a tag for your mod that facilitates other players finding your mod, eg Battle.
    Once it is uploaded to the Steam Workshop you can add images, videos, change the name and description of the mod and fancy up its presentation.

To upload the mod to twcenter, you must go to the Modifications page and make a new thread under Campaign Map/Battle Map/Overhauls, Compilations and Miscellaneous or WIPS, Ideas and Proposals. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Modifications
    You must provide a link to your mod, uploaded to sites such as mediafire or MEGA. It is good for everyone if these mods are kept up to date, and you respond to feedback/criticism.

Additional Resources VII: Additional Resources
    People have been modifying Total War games for over a decade, and it makes sense that you go back to their accomplishments and breakthroughs in modding to see how it was done in previous games. The two most recent Total War games, Attila and Rome 2 have a great many guides made which may be outdated in some areas, but overall a lot of stuff remain the same. This guide was heavily influenced by them. Here are a few, each guide also contains links to a great many more guides.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ted-Oct-8th%29
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...de-for-Novices
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mbly-Kit-Guide
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Unit-Creation
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...initions-files

Magnar’s Youtube Tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoD9TcjuBI
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...948lmmOuxRd66q
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PrLvb_Htq3yL_v

You might also wish to take a gander at modder interviews done by the Eagle Standard. They are both inspiring, and interesting.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/conte...w-with-Dresden
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/conte...ter-Expansions
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/conte...Interview-with

Furthermore, the TWCenter University is a good location for incredibly indepth classes on certain areas of modding. They may be outdated however.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Class-Archives

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; April 07, 2018 at 06:57 AM.

Default Re: Getting Started - Modding for Newbies

Awesome. Wish I had this a few days ago haha. Great stuff, thank you!

I've only been using the Assembly Kit to modify/add rows, exporting the binary, building the mod, and then dropping it into my TWWH folder for testing. I'll have to grab the PFM and start using that as well. Compatibility is something I'd like to strive for, as I know there are other mods that I'd like to use with the one I'm working on.

Thanks!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

ah missed this one

stickied
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Thanks for the sticky Flinn
    If anyone thinks the instructions need to be improved, more pictures need to be added, more subjects to be explained/tutorialised (totally a real word) or ANYTHING at all then feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer your questions or whatever.

I'd also like to quote Sebidee's introduction to his Rome 2 Unit Modding guide which gave me the shove over the edge into the realm of unit modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Hello future modders,

I love modding and I love Rome 2. Most of all I love that Rome 2 was released in an unfinished state, otherwise I and hundreds of other modders would not have taken the leap to learn a fantastic skill. Modding lets your creative side out and through the steam workshop you can share your creativity with thousands. Now I will do something that I probably shouldn't, I am going to tell you the secret of modding, the one thing that so many people don't want you to know. I will probably be banned for this and hunted down but I feel like I have to do it for the community. The secret of modding is ....

IT'S EASY

Yes, that's right, its the truth but people just can't seem to wrap their minds around that one fact. Initially modding can be difficult to learn but once you have the basics you are pretty much at an equal level to anyone else on the workshop. You see modding is not about skill, its about creativity and imagination, a good idea will always trump technical skill. So, with this tutorial I want to teach you the basics of unit creation and tell you how to create your own roster expansions in only a few days. Unit mods are among the most popular on the workshop, people will like them even if you are a no talent hack like I am, did I say no talent hack? Uh I meant modding genius, I swear.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; June 24, 2016 at 09:01 AM.

Civis

Hey Caligula,

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Really helped me get started.

I have a quick question about table loading order. I want to set my mod up in such a way that if a person is using both it and another mod that affects a certain table, the other one will take effect. If I name my table something like ZZZZ_data, and it includes a few lines that another mod touches, would that work? I hear tables are loaded alphabetically, but if two tables include the same lines, which one gets used?

Thanks!
    That's Numberwang!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhavanna View Post
    Hey Caligula,

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Really helped me get started.

I have a quick question about table loading order. I want to set my mod up in such a way that if a person is using both it and another mod that affects a certain table, the other one will take effect. If I name my table something like ZZZZ_data, and it includes a few lines that another mod touches, would that work? I hear tables are loaded alphabetically, but if two tables include the same lines, which one gets used?

Thanks!
    Damn you had to ask a question that proves I've got no idea what I'm talking about.
    I've seen a few people say alphabetical order matters, and some other stuff like the last mod in the order overrides everything or something, but I just use the Steam Workshop and make sure I don't download mods that affect the same stuff.
    You could try out the Mod Manager, but comments seem to suggest it is broken. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...66-Mod-Manager
    A comment on Page 6 recommends a fix, but it is fairly old and I'm not sure if it works for Warhammer. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14769123

Hopefully someone else can answer this question, and I can continue pretending I know stuff.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Damn you had to ask a question that proves I've got no idea what I'm talking about.
    I've seen a few people say alphabetical order matters, and some other stuff like the last mod in the order overrides everything or something, but I just use the Steam Workshop and make sure I don't download mods that affect the same stuff.
    You could try out the Mod Manager, but comments seem to suggest it is broken. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...66-Mod-Manager
    A comment on Page 6 recommends a fix, but it is fairly old and I'm not sure if it works for Warhammer. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14769123

Hopefully someone else can answer this question, and I can continue pretending I know stuff.
    Haha, dammit!

Also, since I'm very new to modding, how much exactly is involved when a new patch comes out for the game from CA? How much work is involved in bringing everything back up to speed? What tables are added or changed in the base game?

Thanks again!
    That's Numberwang!

Thanks very much for this guide- it really helps us brand new modders figure out the nuances of modding Total war!
    Couple of points that I stumbled on when following the guide:
    1. It might be nice to have screen-grabs of the right viewing pane of the PFM at each step of the guide when a new file is added/ edited or removed.
    2. Also be cool to see screen grabs of the "polished" tables just to confirm to the viewer what they should look like.
    3. Don't suppose you know of any links to guides around adding new building chains?
    4. Any links to resources that map out the relationships between tables?

Many thanks, I eagerly await your response!

Quote Originally Posted by thesniperdevil View Post
    Thanks very much for this guide- it really helps us brand new modders figure out the nuances of modding Total war!
    Couple of points that I stumbled on when following the guide:
    1. It might be nice to have screen-grabs of the right viewing pane of the PFM at each step of the guide when a new file is added/ edited or removed.
    2. Also be cool to see screen grabs of the "polished" tables just to confirm to the viewer what they should look like.
    3. Don't suppose you know of any links to guides around adding new building chains?
    4. Any links to resources that map out the relationships between tables?

Many thanks, I eagerly await your response!
    Q1 & Q2: Will do when I can, I was wondering if it needed more pictures.
    Q3: I think I've found an incredibly in depth guide on the Scriptorium. Its for Total War Rome 2, but should still be largely applicable: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...uilding-System
    Q4: In the Assembly Kit open up DAVE, and click Extra Tasks - Global Search. You can search terms here, and it'll show you where they're referenced throughout the Assembly Kit. Its not a perfect system, but it works. For example, if you're trying to work out what the Vampire Counts crumble mechanic is, you'd search "varghulf", and you'll see that in land_units_to_unit_abilities_junctions, the ability is called unstable and unstable mark II.
    Basically lets you work out where stuff is also referenced.

Q1 & Q2: Will do when I can, I was wondering if it needed more pictures.
    Q3: I think I've found an incredibly in depth guide on the Scriptorium. Its for Total War Rome 2, but should still be largely applicable: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...uilding-System
    Q4: In the Assembly Kit open up DAVE, and click Extra Tasks - Global Search. You can search terms here, and it'll show you where they're referenced throughout the Assembly Kit. Its not a perfect system, but it works. For example, if you're trying to work out what the Vampire Counts crumble mechanic is, you'd search "varghulf", and you'll see that in land_units_to_unit_abilities_junctions, the ability is called unstable and unstable mark II.
    Basically lets you work out where stuff is also referenced.
    You Sir, are a legend! Thank's for the answers

Ok I've added about 17 extra pictures. Tell me what ya think.

Hi Caligula - thanks for the guide it works perfectly. I was wondering however, I tried these steps with Mannfred, swapping his variantmesh with the female vampire. It works in custom battles, but when I start a campaign it crashes. Can you point me in the right direction?

Click the button File – New at the top. This will create a blank mod for you.
    Now right click anywhere in the white area on the left of the screen, and click Add – From Pack.
    It seems to be a somewhat unknown feature, but I'd suggest people use "File->MyMods->New".
    It lets you choose a base directory for that new mod where it will create a pack with the same name (all exported tables will be stored there).
    It will immediately open a dialog which allows you to select a CA pack to add data from so you have a base to start from (like you suggest with the Add - From Pack).
    It also allows you to "install" automatically (basically copy to game's data directory).
    Also of course it lets you easily switch between mods if you have several.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Ok I've added about 17 extra pictures. Tell me what ya think.
    Brilliant. Just helps those of us who are not overly familiar with the tools and such! Your effort it greatly appreciated!

So appreciative of this post, thaaaaank you.

I have followed your teachings, however i get an error message as a new window in my browser when i attempt to upload any mod i make - it opens the steam community page, and says: Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

However if I look in my workshop items, i can find all the simple mods ive made.

Any idea why this is happening?

ty ty ty - you are the Emperor of Modkind

Quote Originally Posted by string3rb3ll View Post
    So appreciative of this post, thaaaaank you.

I have followed your teachings, however i get an error message as a new window in my browser when i attempt to upload any mod i make - it opens the steam community page, and says: Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

However if I look in my workshop items, i can find all the simple mods ive made.

Any idea why this is happening?

ty ty ty - you are the Emperor of Modkind
    That happens because mods are set to private by default and only you can view them. Thus you'll have to go to your Steam Profile and check out your mod collection to edit the title, description and add images then set it to public.
    Reckon a little guide needs to be done on that? Its fairly basic and is the same as all Steam Workshop mods for other games.

Hey could you explain the Rigid Models? I don't see any mention of them and I am wanting to edit unit armour colour etc. BTW AMAZING GUIDE

Thanks man, problem solved

I'm working on creating new skills for lords. I've to create the skill, can find it and use it in game, but it is missing the text for the name of the skill, and for the description. I've got .loc files for charcater_skills_level_details and character_skills_core. Looking at the files for other mods that have done this, I know I need txt files, but I can't work out what I need in them. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast