Thread: Trying to reskin units, but transparent surfaces are turning solid black.

Default Trying to reskin units, but transparent surfaces are turning solid black.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In the above screencap of the extracted dds thumbnail, you can see certain areas of the skin, like the veil and the hair, are set against a white background, indicating transparency.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But when I open them in Photoshop, they are set against a solid black background, and appear as such on the models.

If anybody could tell me how to work around this and fix the problem, I would be very appreciative.

I am using PS CS6 with the NVidia DDS converter plugin.

Default Re: Trying to reskin units, but transparent surfaces are turning solid black.

Solved my own problem: I was accidentally deleting the alpha channels when I saved the files. I didn't realize that there was both a tick-box and a drop-down menu that both needed to be properly set to preserve the alpha channels.

Well, hopefully this thread will be useful to somebody else who runs into the same issue, one day.

Default Re: Trying to reskin units, but transparent surfaces are turning solid black.

Good, because when it happens to me it's because a particular model doesn't accept alpha transparency. Unless I'm missing something, leaving this here just in case it's actually something else I can fix.

try adding "_alpha" to the shader in the material file: Example: weighted4_default.xml.shader to weighted4_default_alpha.xml.shader, list of available shader can be found in data.pack/shader.

Just like that? Gonna try it next time, thanks!

Did that method work to cure those models of not being able to accept transparency?