Thread: Kimmerios Bosporos questions

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default Kimmerios Bosporos questions

Evening, all. Loving 2.2 so far - the work put into this mod is peerless. While we wait for the 2.2b patch, I'm giving Kimmerios Bosporos a try and I've found myself at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed in certain areas. I'm about 40 turns in.

Wherever possible in a campaign, I like to roleplay. Not so strictly that I follow the precise course of history - I'm not going to sit in the Crimea and wait for the Romans for a few hundred turns, nor deliberately nerf myself too far - but enough to retain the faction's flavour. But my knowledge of the faction's history is limited and I'd like to remain as true as is feasible to the character and spirit of the Bosporon Kingdom.

My issue is chiefly in the realm of government types. Around me I have a few Hellenistic cities and some nomadic camps. In taking these, I've generally followed the pattern of Regional Pacification for the cities and Allied Governments for camps. Is this accurate? My thinking is that my Skythian subjects retain their culture and self-governance to some extent while I slowly settle them onto farms (I have a question about that in a moment) while the Greek cities are brought immediately to heel in the non-paradynastic model (so, using local rulers) to retain the Hellenistic "free city" ideal. So is this vaguely what the Kimmerios Bosporos did/would've done in my position IRL, from what we know?

Regarding settling Skythians - many of those farming upgrades say they convert the culture to Eastern Imperial. This seems a bit odd, as I don't want that - I want them thoroughly Hellenised, don't I?

And going back to the free city ideal - was that value espoused by the Kimmerion Bosporos? From what I gather from the vast amount of historical information in game (you guys deserve honourary degrees for the amount of info, BTW) the ruling dynasty - was it the Spartakids? - were regarded by other Hellenistic states as tyrants, but they did grant cities "freedom" insofar as other Hellenistic states did. They may not have championed that cause as passionately as did the Athenians and Ptolemies, but did it at least feature on their radar?

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling - hopefully you can all understand it. Many thanks to anyone able to provide any info; it's all gratefully received!

Default Re: Kimmerios Bosporos questions

Actually, Allied Clans might be a more accurate option for camps - it's the factional version of the Allied Government, that's more in tune with the steppe peoples. It's also very similar to governments of the same type used by the Sauromatae.

Nomadic farms shouldn't be providing any conversion to Eastern Tribal for the Bosporans - only for Numidia, Nabatu and Saka.

But Arjos is your man for explaining what their objectives might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Actually, Allied Clans might be a more accurate option for camps - it's the factional version of the Allied Government, that's more in tune with the steppe peoples. It's also very similar to governments of the same type used by the Sauromatae.

Nomadic farms shouldn't be providing any conversion to Eastern Tribal for the Bosporans - only for Numidia, Nabatu and Saka.

But Arjos is your man for explaining what their objectives might have been.
    Thanks for the reply; Allied Clans it is. The farms in the camps aren't converting to Eastern Tribal; they're converting to Eastern Imperial, according to the description at the bottom of the building info card. I don't suppose I want either one. I'm building them at the moment in the hopes of converting them into urban settlements and then being able to Hellenise them. The Sauromatae have attacked, so if all goes well I'll have a lot of camps under my control soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    Thanks for the reply; Allied Clans it is. The farms in the camps aren't converting to Eastern Tribal; they're converting to Eastern Imperial, according to the description at the bottom of the building info card. I don't suppose I want either one. I'm building them at the moment in the hopes of converting them into urban settlements and then being able to Hellenise them. The Sauromatae have attacked, so if all goes well I'll have a lot of camps under my control soon enough.
    That doesn't make sense; Nomadic Farms only have conversion to Eastern Tribal, and only for those three factions mentioned:

Code:
    building hinterland_farms_nomadic
    {
        convert_to hinterland_farms
    	religion rel_d
    	levels nomfarms_one nomfarms_two nomfarms_three
    Code:
    religion_level bonus 1 requires factions { f_numidia, f_nabatu, f_saka, } and not region_religion rel_d 30 and event_counter ecReligionUpdate 1
    No idea where the game is getting Eastern Imperial from, or why it's applying to the Bosporans.

EDIT: Oh, the description. That says (from first tier):

These basic farms can suitably complement animal husbandry in nomadic regions. Later on a decision has to be made how the available land
    is going to be divided between these two ways of food production as higher levels of the "Sedentary Agriculture" building complex and of
    the "Herds" building complex are mutually exclusive. The development of sedentary agriculture also has its effect on social customs of the
    region, slowly diminishing the prevalence of nomadic culture and promoting "Eastern Tribal" culture. This can make this building especially
    important for those factions that strive for reforms that would change their factional culture from nomadic to a settled one.

D'oh, sorry, yes, it is Eastern Tribal. No idea why I read it as Eastern Imperial. With that in mind, then; why? It says it's doing that, but is it? If it's not converting to Eastern Tribal (or at least, shouldn't be) then what is it converting to?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    D'oh, sorry, yes, it is Eastern Tribal. No idea why I read it as Eastern Imperial. With that in mind, then; why? It says it's doing that, but is it? If it's not converting to Eastern Tribal (or at least, shouldn't be) then what is it converting to?
    Does it actually appear in the capabilities section of the building card (towards the top, not buried in the descriptive text) in winter? If not, then it isn't actually doing any converting at all, which is as it should be for the Bosporans.

Nope, it doesn't appear there in winter. Thanks for clearing that up.