Thread: "Cultural" problem

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Default "Cultural" problem

I just started playing as my fav faction pontus with new patch and I can already see why its nigh impossible in EB2 without getting my ass destroyed by Arche.

It's the culture.

Every single city I took has HUGE cultural penalties because I'm not hellenistic/ or in case of ankyra barbarian. So right now I have my army in ankyra, too afraid to leave as it will insta rebel and my money is draining as well.
    Is there any building for pontus that increases factional culture? or maybe an agent to convert like priests did in MTW ?

Update: I tried adding religion_level bonus and amplify bonus to some buildings and they increased Eastern Imperialist culture not mine for some reason.
    Last edited by Outcast; June 09, 2016 at 03:17 AM.

Default Re: "Cultural" problem

After the reform your culture will be Eastern Imperial too and local colonies (and maybe post refor gov too?) will help you convert.

That feature (I actually like) really makes some favtions different. I love playing Baktria and having to teach the locals how to behave as proper greeks. But of course thaat makes a lot more difficult forming your core as nations like KH or Makedonia where you can free/subdue your fellow greeks in the early game and get rolling very fast

We will either find a way, or make one.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

I order to trigger that reform, you need to have defeated the Seleukids, Ptolmaioi, Pergamenes and Bosporans collectively at least 10 times; plus hold at least 10 settlements, including Sinope, Trapezous, Kutatisi, Mazaka, Pantikapaion and Chersonesos. Or alternatively in 183BC it happens automatically.

That changes your culture to Eastern Imperial and gives you new government options.

There are no conversion agents. You can convert places to Hellenistic Polities with Hellenistic Colonies, but that may not be very helpful.

Wow, is indeed harsh, thats not a reform you trigger fast at all and having no conversion whatsoever prior to that (well aside from the slow owning them + governors with influence) ufff, thats harsh.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I order to trigger that reform, you need to have defeated the Seleukids, Ptolmaioi, Pergamenes and Bosporans collectively at least 10 times; plus hold at least 10 settlements, including Sinope, Trapezous, Kutatisi, Mazaka, Pantikapaion and Chersonesos. Or alternatively in 183BC it happens automatically.

That changes your culture to Eastern Imperial and gives you new government options.

There are no conversion agents. You can convert places to Hellenistic Polities with Hellenistic Colonies, but that may not be very helpful.
    This is more than harsh fore sure...

Maybe if it was only settlements it was still kind of possible to do that but taking out Arche AND ptolies?

Anatolia is already crowded and with pergamon butting in I was hoping that maybe I could at least take some settlements fast before my money went down to -10000
    Pontus already has a dramn hard start and this just makes it less of a challenge and more of a unneeded thing, I mean I dont like whining but I cant leave my cities without at least 4-5 unit garrison - even in capital.

u need win 10 major victories over one of mentioned by quintus, not wipe them out from map at all. they told before release they will make keep pub. order harder, but i dont believe whatever diference in culture u have there, when u leave there faction leader plus some units U HAVE TO be able do something. me personaly didnt play this faction nor any arround there, but from what i see those galatian/other rovers already harras seleukids/ptolemais so expand to sinope or mazaka may be save. and i dont believe seleukids declare war so early on you while having serious problems with eleutheroi everywhere.

btw. from what i see in guide( governments) they have ton of conversion ways from native colonies to government itself. some convert faster some slower. if u have problems after conquer city- sack/exterminate it.
    Last edited by Maroslav; June 09, 2016 at 09:38 AM.

Pontos was one of my test campaigns (3/3 or H/H), and I can say conclusively say that it's very possible to survive and eventually expand. It just requires time and patience. Get a quick core of 3-4 provinces, recover your finances (may require brutal slashing of your start army), and then slowly build your infrastructure and expand from a solid base. It is enjoyable and challenging. However, if you prefer the "Alexander of Macedon" playing style, then your only alternative is to pick a different faction.
    EBII Council

I also put lots of tending loving care into the building icons for Pontos, so even though it takes a while to build up, there should be lots of nice eye-candy as you review your many, many options.
    EBII Council

Truthfully, the penalty is not so bad for nations that have cultural problems. If you've played Rome, for example, not only you would have high cultural unrest in places that don't have your culture, there are also a lot of places which have a lot of natural unrest to complicate things.

I'd suggest avoiding just turtling overall until you can get your culture switch.

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Pontos was one of my test campaigns (3/3 or H/H), and I can say conclusively say that it's very possible to survive and eventually expand. It just requires time and patience. Get a quick core of 3-4 provinces, recover your finances (may require brutal slashing of your start army), and then slowly build your infrastructure and expand from a solid base. It is enjoyable and challenging. However, if you prefer the "Alexander of Macedon" playing style, then your only alternative is to pick a different faction.

I got a 3 provinces already and very quickly I found out that Eleutheroi just like in EB1 besiege only my cities with full stacks. So slashing my army wasnt the best idea

Beat two of them but now another stack came from pokr-hayk.
    Again, all of this would not be a problem for me if there wasnt a huge unrest in every single city and if I had my taxes set at least to normal. Going in turtle mode isnt that unfamiliar for me

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    I also put lots of tending loving care into the building icons for Pontos, so even though it takes a while to build up, there should be lots of nice eye-candy as you review your many, many options.
    As far as I can tell they already look great. Too bad I was not able to build anything other than shrines for now lol.
    Hope theres some other buildings which increase income

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

To be honest, Outcast, you're better off abandoning your game til 2.2b; I've just reviewed and amended a whole host of infrastructure requirements which wrongly set basic stuff for Pontos after their reforms.

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Oh well. Might try playing with Bosphorus before the patch then. Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for this great mod and sorry in advance for my bad english but i think important to say the pontos are currently unplayable .

After many test i always finish with army in very really bad shape and bankruptcy economy.

The main issue was the rebel stacks who are very agressive, in consequence you to fight without any profit whan you already have a very weak economy made worse by devastation...

When i succeed to manage them and take 2 or 3 regions(trapezous, ani-kamah and kutatisi) i'm still in deficit(around -31000 in tresory with 2500 of devastation expanse) with a poor army for fight against the rebel who siege my cities dearly acquired.

The combinaition of weak economy with many strong opposant are unmanageable, if only the rebel army wouldn't invade systematically the territory from the start ...

The army start are insufficient for conquering AND after to defence themselves from rebel and the economy is in the red before we can rebuild or reinforce them after the inevitable fight with the rebel who surrounded the pontos and devasting is territory.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; June 10, 2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: double post deleted, post edited

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Yeah it is true that rebels are kind of unbalanced in anatolia

Theres way too many of them and the biggest problem is that they dont care when AI marches through their lands, they just besiege your cities.

Even when I'm playing as bosphorus AI seems to be sending armies out from nowhere just to occupy my watch towers and besiege cities. wouldve been better if they stayed immobile in cities or near them
    Last edited by Outcast; June 13, 2016 at 10:37 PM.