Thread: New NVIDIA driver 368.39 does not yet solve all Warhammer issues - stuttering issues should be gone though

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default New NVIDIA driver 368.39 does not yet solve all Warhammer issues - stuttering issues should be gone though

Hi everyone,

the new driver will relieve users from stuttering issues but does not yet incorporate SLI support nor the V-Sync issue is fixed.

you can obtain all drivers for Desktop and Notebooks here: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads...force-treiber/ (multilanguage)

please read "Fixes" and "known issues" sections:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/368.39/368.39-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Last edited by alQamar; June 07, 2016 at 04:01 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: New NVIDIA driver 368.39 does not yet solve all Warhammer issues - stuttering issues should be gone though

Hmmm, the release notes are confusing. They say that they added a SLI profile but also list a missing SLI profile in the OS problem section ?!? Maybe they added a profile but with SLI setting to disabled.

Funnily enough SLI has been working with custom flags (use 0x081100F5 with NVIDIA inspector and force AFR or AFR2) since the beginning even with much older drivers (mine is about 5 months old). VSync can be 'fixed' by using 'forced VSync' setting from driver. And I don't have any stuttering in 4K due to a capped framerate (with MSI-Afterburner).

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: New NVIDIA driver 368.39 does not yet solve all Warhammer issues - stuttering issues should be gone though

I feel so lost when you talk about SLI. I have no clue about it About the stuttering, it is actually hard to tell how Nvidia understands stuttering, me and other had framerate drops occasionally, without interaction, and also issues performance issues when moving the camera.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    I feel so lost when you talk about SLI. I have no clue about it
    Sure, I guess most long time SLI users will know about which kind of magic I talk about

About the stuttering, it is actually hard to tell how Nvidia understands stuttering, me and other had framerate drops occasionally, without interaction, and also issues performance issues when moving the camera.
    Just use a framerate limiter, works wonders in TW games.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I used to play Rome 2 with adaptive vsync at half framerate so capped to 30 fps. How would you suggest me to cap it while vsync isn't fixed. Thanks in advance.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    I used to play Rome 2 with adaptive vsync at half framerate so capped to 30 fps. How would you suggest me to cap it while vsync isn't fixed. Thanks in advance.
    My experiences with NVIDIA adaptive vsync are actually not very good. Capping the framerate with MSI-Afterburner (the capping is actually in the Riva Tuner app which comes with it) is much more effective and smooth in my experience:
    Here is the download link (don't mind the 'beta' label, it is essentially always in beta, lol)
    http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html

And here is the topic I made about it back in Shogun 2 days with some explanations and vide (principles still apply):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...urner-is-great

I really can't emphasize enough how great Afterburner frame capping is for TW-games.

If u want additional forced normal vsynch for WH I think u can do that in the NVIDIA control panel directly. I use the NVIDIA inspector tool for that but I think that setting is in NVIDIAs software too.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; June 08, 2016 at 07:54 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thanks a lot Barbarian. You are helpful as always. What framerate do you set as limit?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

I would recommend 30 primarily because it's half of 60. A somewhat higher framerate gives a little bit better input reaction time but not much more fluid graphics. And if the framerate falls below the limit in certain situations u get stutter again. So 30 is usually a good value.

Personally I traditionally use sth like 20-30 in TW-games. I can tolerate really low framerates (if they are very stable) but much more wasn't possible due to the CPU bootleneck when zooming in anyway. TW-WH has actually pretty good framerates even when zoomed in but since the NVIDIA DSR feature I now downsample from 4K or higher so now the GPU also becomes a limit.

In TW-WH I use 20fps (2x970s downsampled from 4K with extreme shadows but without SSAO + custom SweetFX effects with SMAA).

doesn't have any improvement on my rig's but thx for the hint(possible tweaks are always welcome) ;D

Thanks for the information starting this thread - I'm running a 3-4 year young system -
    i72600 16ram 780Sli using Nvidia Inspector with the capped 30 frames with the released driver 368.39

Total War players should be experienced in modifying the preference.script to match (as best posssible)
    the limitations and strengths of their PC-Systems, since we all have differing machines/software/settings etc.

The information above has helped to re-validate my thoughts on "tweeking" the game settings beyond the Nvidia tools
    such as "Game Experience" or other third party tools such as Nvidia Inspector.

After a week of playing the game (in single player and battles) I am settling for a trade off balance between flow of
    movement around the screen/battlefield and visual eye-candy.

preference.script
    gfx_video_memory 3221225472 - (as TW Warhammer was showing 5+gig in error)
    gfx_texture_filtering 2 - (un-noticed impact on CPU whislt minor draw on GPU)
    gfx_texture_quality 2 - (un-noticed impact on CPU whislt minor draw on GPU)
    gfx_ssao true - (un-noticed impact on CPU whislt minor draw on GPU)
    gfx_tesselation true - (game just appears to look better / maybe its my old eyes)
    gfx_screen_space_reflections false - (my system choked when this was labeled true)
    number_of_threads 3 - (thats correct on my i7, I use 3)

Overall the temp of the CPU was much lower even thou CPU-Z, Task manager where reading
    all "8" cores where loading over 50% with core 7 at 100%. The temp drop (air cooler) was in the area
    of 15c against no alteration of the script file from 0 or modifications of 7/6/5/4.

Personally still tossing up the size of the units/quality verses heat/noise/work load on the PC components.

Between having a game that can run at anywhere between 40-80fps and giving me a warm room
    or having an exteremly pleasing game to rampage on, I am more then happy with a consistant 30fps.

SLI utilising Nvidia Inspector, I am using the new profile provided under driver 368.39.
    With a few modifications that suit my PC components, such as;

SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_FORCE_AFR2 - (AFR made my screen refresh flutter-strobe)
    Maximum pre-rendered frames - (2, yes two frames appears to give my machine value for the dollar)

Sli is running at 80+% per GPU under battle loadings

So my key message to other gamers is modify the settings and aim for the sweet spot between what your machine will do
    verses will not do in relation to play quality or visual quality.

Have fun and Waaaaaagh

Quote Originally Posted by mohaka34 View Post
    SLI utilising Nvidia Inspector, I am using the new profile provided under driver 368.39.
    High can u tell me the SLI bits used in that profile? I am using an older driver (I am pretty conservative with driver updates) with custom SLI bits in combination with AFR2 which works ok. I would just like to try those bits to see whether there is any difference.
    Thanks!