Thread: Carthaginian Fm`s Offices guide?

Default Carthaginian Fm`s Offices guide?

Is someone doing a guide to the new Carthage Offices feature - very confusing at the moment.

Also what are the new ferorm rquirements/

Thankyou

Default Re: Carthaginian Fm`s Offices guide?

Reform requirements are very basic as of yet; player must fight 5+battles vs Rome, and conquer Mastia in Iberia; year has to be at least 237bc.

About the offices they are still a bit WIP and a few are missing but maybe we write a short guide, especially on what excludes itself.

They also need a General or other office-holding FM who's part of the Barcid faction.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jim600 View Post
    Is someone doing a guide to the new Carthage Offices feature - very confusing at the moment.
    Now FMs can be citizens of Carthage (most of the starting FM already are, others can become so by spending time in Carthage). Citizenship is a requirement to be eligible.

They have a number of political offices that are available in Carthage. Elections are held at the end of winter and most offices office lasts four turns. If a character is eligible he gets an "eligible for x" trait.
    Unlike the roman system, most offices are not mutually exclusive. The only exception being the office of Spt (Suffete), which excludes almost all others.

The governor office is available in all colonies, just leave an eligible character in the settlement for a few turns and he'll eventually get elected. It lasts for as long as the FM stays in the province (governing/defending it), but he does not have to stay in the settlement.
    There are also two offices of "general" (a higher tier one, and a lower tier one) available in Carthage (or in a Council City, if you lost Carthage), in time of war. They last for as long as you are at war.

Regular family members don't have the authority to lead an army (similarly to Imperium for the romans), they get a "rejected" trait. Only governors or FM with one of the "general" offices can lead an army.

At the start of the game you have two FM with that have a "general" trait (and authority to lead an army), one in Sicily and one near Utica, in Africa.

As anubis said, it's still a bit WIP, we'll keep expanding, and refining it. For now, that's the basics of it. Maybe later we'll write a more detailed guide.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Oh i didn't know that the reforms require battles and so on. Well i now have allready fought a war against rome and i won 3 battles 2 land battles and one siege. Do they still count to the battles for the reform? I'm at round 66

Carthage needs a General in Spain at the start, otherwise it's a waste of the full stack of troops there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Carthage needs a General in Spain at the start, otherwise it's a waste of the full stack of troops there.
    I've just swapped two FMs around (a 19-year old General doesn't really make sense), so it will be in 2.2b.

EDIT: I've been corrected; there shouldn't even be an army in Spain, only the client with his garrison and tiny bit of visibly Carthaginian support.

That army has been moved to Carthage itself, and put under Hamalcar's command. Now there's something to defend yourself against the inevitable Numidian incursion at the start.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; June 08, 2016 at 07:41 AM.

Could you also give the young hamilkar who is 1 at the start of the game the barcid trait? Its weird that hamilcar barca isn't barcid hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Could you also give the young hamilkar who is 1 at the start of the game the barcid trait? Its weird that hamilcar barca isn't barcid hahaha
    You can't give traits to underage FMs. Not unless we script it for his Coming of Age.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I've just swapped two FMs around (a 19-year old General doesn't really make sense), so it will be in 2.2b.

EDIT: I've been corrected; there shouldn't even be an army in Spain, only the client with his garrison and tiny bit of visibly Carthaginian support.

That army has been moved to Carthage itself, and put under Hamalcar's command. Now there's something to defend yourself against the inevitable Numidian incursion at the start.
    No need to switch the army in Spain to Carthage. Numidian units are quite soft in comparison with Carthaginian ones, except numidian nobles. Starting garrisons in Carthage proper is enough. I am playing on (VH/VH). Army in Spain could be used for much needed expansion. I've taken Syracuse and New Carthago, while defending Carthage proper with starting units there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blob View Post
    No need to switch the army in Spain to Carthage. Numidian units are quite soft in comparison with Carthaginian ones, except numidian nobles. Starting garrisons in Carthage proper is enough. I am playing on (VH/VH). Army in Spain could be used for much needed expansion. I've taken Syracuse and New Carthago, while defending Carthage proper with starting units there.
    Good point about how soft Numidian armies can be - stiffened them a little with a couple of units of Nobles.

But the army shouldn't be in Spain, it wasn't directly ruled yet.

So i still don't get this. I have to win five battles against romans. What does that mean do they have to be any size or smth? as said i allready have defeated 3 armies 2 in a battle 1 in a siege. Does this still count towards the reform? Its not 137bce in my game if i defeat the next to romans and take mastia and wait until its 137 will the reform still happen? Right now i have a supreme general with the barcid trait (albeit cheated)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

This is even better. It makes it easier to concentrate troops. Gotta love when historical accuracy plays into my plans.
    Why do the Numidians attack at the start?

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    So i still don't get this. I have to win five battles against romans. What does that mean do they have to be any size or smth? as said i allready have defeated 3 armies 2 in a battle 1 in a siege. Does this still count towards the reform? Its not 137bce in my game if i defeat the next to romans and take mastia and wait until its 137 will the reform still happen? Right now i have a supreme general with the barcid trait (albeit cheated)
    You don't need to win, you just need to fight 5+battles. Sizes don't matter (it's a myth but still ). I don't know about sieges though if they count or not. It shouldn't be too hard for you to fight 5 battles for now should it? And yeah the reform will happen once all triggers are met. They don't have to be in order.

Sieges and naval battles don't count towards the trigger. They have to be battles involving at least 8 units on the Roman side, and you don't have to win.

Barlind's Avatar Foederatus

I have reached 1st reform in 231BC. First I wasn't exactly sure if I needed barcid faction leader or just barcid "Rb mhnt", and if they have to be in spain; however Quintus pointed me in the right direction with a tip in reforms thread.

However, in my game, the biggest problem for reaching reforms was lack of barcid FMs. I think i have about 20FM, and the barcid/antibarcid traits appeared only in three of them. All of them were old-timers around 60-70 years old. I think the the two traits should be more common. Perhaps one of them should be automatically given to those who hold political offices (= if a person engage in political career they probably have a personal view on how/where the republic should expand).

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Barlind View Post
    I have reached 1st reform in 231BC. First I wasn't exactly sure if I needed barcid faction leader or just barcid "Rb mhnt", and if they have to be in spain; however Quintus pointed me in the right direction with a tip in reforms thread.

However, in my game, the biggest problem for reaching reforms was lack of barcid FMs. I think i have about 20FM, and the barcid/antibarcid traits appeared only in three of them. All of them were old-timers around 60-70 years old. I think the the two traits should be more common. Perhaps one of them should be automatically given to those who hold political offices (= if a person engage in political career they probably have a personal view on how/where the republic should expand).
    I have the same issue. Very few barcid/anti-barcid traits.

We will take a look into it guys... This trigger is a placeholder and the inclusion of the barcid trait was added at the last minute without testing. The new trigger will be much more complex and more fun to achieve, but it will have to wait for 2.3

2.1 was a big improvemnt over 2.0
    2.2 is a big improvement over 2.1

Can't wait for 2.99

Why do the Numidians attack Carthage at the start of the campaign?

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    We will take a look into it guys... This trigger is a placeholder and the inclusion of the barcid trait was added at the last minute without testing. The new trigger will be much more complex and more fun to achieve, but it will have to wait for 2.3
    No complaints here, just comments and feedback for you...