Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
Yes I know Xystophoroi has 10/21.
For the other stats, I know I can read the EDU

Still I wonder if 8/21 is intentional.
It means Hippeis with their stats fall in the category of best alround cav.
They have decent defence: 4 Arm 6 def
Their melee is average.
Their charge is above average.
The morale is average.

So again why wre Hippeis consdered as average to bad cav.

The point Im trying to make is that iff Hippeis are so similar why bother with Xystophoroi.
I mean from RL perspective. Iff Hippeis had a reasonable charge why then create a unit that does one thing marginaly better for the loss of other things, It makes no sense to me.
Are they meant to have a kontos as mainweapon. and another overhand spear as secudary, feels and looks odd
Yes, it's intentional. Weapon stats are based on the weapon used, not some arbitrary decision about "balance", it's shorter than the lance used by the Xystophoroi. Lacking power_charge, their primary attack is significantly worse than that of Xystophoroi, or any other proper lancer cavalry. The secondary spear is often worse than the kopis used by other lancers up close (and they have that because they didn't used to have a secondary weapon at all, which made them useless in melee).

If you don't know why Hippeis and Xystophoroi both exist, try looking at where you can recruit them. They are different regional expressions of medium cavalry, Hippeis are the older Greek form, Xystophoroi the more "modern" Hellenistic form.