Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too small map and only 5 unique factions to choose from

Default Re: Too small map and only 5 unique factions to choose from

Give this man a cookie. I completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qqsuen View Post
    Does Romans have Giants and spiders? Bactria has helicopter and organ guns? (well Bactria does have war elephants)

You must be a very bad chaos player to play it like Vampire Counts.
    No Bactria has no guns or canons but thats simply because the period is to early in history naturally. But if you take Empire or Nappy than you have basically the same canon-mechanics. That was nothing new. In FotS the canons were even better. They felt more realistic and the canon sounds while shooting were superb. You are right to say that there were no Giants and Spiders before, but that as well was because it would be unlogical in a Rome scenario. However if you take the Elephants you mentioned you have easily an counterpart. The same for the direworlfs etc. As for Heroes or extraordinary strong units you can take the first Shogun Total War were you could recruit a swordmaster who was a single man unit who could hold a bridge on its own. The thing really new are the flying units, although i am a bit disappointed at them. All the Zombiedragon or Griffin does is flying in to a unit and than fighting at the ground. It would have been much better to have them constantly attack from the sky...

As for just another typ of a sword or spear unit. Well at least they looked diffrent. In Warhammer i can't see any imperial swordsman anylonger. If they would at least have diffrent Coat of Arms. And i damn miss special formations like spear and shieldwall or phalanx.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    The thing really new are the flying units, although i am a bit disappointed at them. All the Zombiedragon or Griffin does is flying in to a unit and than fighting at the ground. It would have been much better to have them constantly attack from the sky...
    Cycle-charging with them could probably get a similar effect. More micro-intensive, but you're probably already cycle-charging your cav anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Isn't that the current map?

Ciruelo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Isn't that the current map?
    The current map is the area with the borders drawn. The non-depicted border areas are the expansions, probably the rest of the old world continent is going to be the game 2 (skavens, egyptian undeads, beastmen, wood elves) and the new world is going to be the third game (lizardmen, high elves, dark elves). Bretonnia will probably be the free-lc and the rest dlc faction packs will be minor factions like kiev, araby, estalia...etc

No Bactria has no guns or canons but thats simply because the period is to early in history naturally. But if you take Empire or Nappy than you have basically the same canon-mechanics. That was nothing new. In FotS the canons were even better. They felt more realistic and the canon sounds while shooting were superb. You are right to say that there were no Giants and Spiders before, but that as well was because it would be unlogical in a Rome scenario. However if you take the Elephants you mentioned you have easily an counterpart. The same for the direworlfs etc. As for Heroes or extraordinary strong units you can take the first Shogun Total War were you could recruit a swordmaster who was a single man unit who could hold a bridge on its own. The thing really new are the flying units, although i am a bit disappointed at them. All the Zombiedragon or Griffin does is flying in to a unit and than fighting at the ground. It would have been much better to have them constantly attack from the sky...

As for just another typ of a sword or spear unit. Well at least they looked diffrent. In Warhammer i can't see any imperial swordsman anylonger. If they would at least have diffrent Coat of Arms. And i damn miss special formations like spear and shieldwall or phalanx.

The point is that those are not unique to a specific faction. Bactria has war elephants, but so do most Greco-African factions. There's indeed a greater factional division in previous TW titles, but those difference lays primarily in culture group and not specific faction. Yes Britons plays quite differently than Romans, but it's not much different from other barbarians like Suebi; Greco factions are another play style from the nomadic tribes, but Athens, Epirus and Pontus are almost the same faction except for each having 1 to 2 special pikemen or skirmishers with slightly different stats. Not to mention Shogun 2 that 80% of the rooster is universal among all factions.

The differences amongs factions are there in previous TW, but it's not as unique as what someone claims that dozens of factions all has their dozens of unique play styles as compared to just 5 in WTW.

Well that's true that tons of micro management features have been taken away in favour of adding spell management. THe lack of some essential features like flying/grounding buttons and sparse formation makes the game felt rushed.

I'm late game with the dwarves. Smashed all the orcs, destroyed the vampire counts. What else should I do? Chaos is somewhere but it doesn't matter because half a map away. I just sit here in the mountains and mine stuff I guess? This is my first campaign so I hope it gets better.
    "Suffer little children," said the controller.
    -Brave New World

The map likely won't get bigger any time soon. The Old World of Warhammer has a fixed map. They map branch into some distant lands down the road, but really, it is what it is.

There will be more factions, because Warhammer had 15 or so by the end. Each of these is far more diverse than anything in a previous game. Where you may have had 20 in Rome, for example, they were really 2-3 reskinned. They played EXACTLY THE SAME. These 5 don't, and we know for a fact more are coming.
    Last edited by Flinn; June 09, 2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: continuity

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Amazing the amount of people giving crap to previous TW games but they cant see Warhammer is and will be a skin job too, its probably better to list the animations in the game to see how many possibilities there are.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

south of orcs got so many empty lands, as well as west of estalia

Quote Originally Posted by vae victus View Post
    I'm late game with the dwarves. Smashed all the orcs, destroyed the vampire counts. What else should I do? Chaos is somewhere but it doesn't matter because half a map away. I just sit here in the mountains and mine stuff I guess? This is my first campaign so I hope it gets better.
    Ah yes, back in the good old days of Rome 2, you could have slowly destroyed all the other factions in the most incredibly boring late game ever. You could, you know, work out what your objectives are and try and achieve them. Such options!

I accomplished what you did with Orcs, now I have to invade the empire and destroy them.

Sounds like TS is abusing auto-battle.

Yes TS, the game does go fast when you skip every battle.

I don't know how anyone could complete a long campaign in 8 or 9 hours. Even if that's true, your are still talking about 40-50 hours if you do it with each faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus_Malorkus View Post
    I don't know how anyone could complete a long campaign in 8 or 9 hours. Even if that's true, your are still talking about 40-50 hours if you do it with each faction.
    Cheats/lies perhaps? Even abusing autobattle I think a legendary run would take longer than 8 hrs

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

It might be doable for the vamp counts if you abuse the auto calc and do nothing but go for objectives. Legendary punish way more in battle than in auto calc. I think its a bit of a stretch however so its probably a lie. Certainly not something anyone would do on a first run while exploring the game. Archeon start going south at what? Turn 60 at the earliest?

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

Try defeating IBM's Deep Blue super computer at chess that should quench your thirst for challenge. Or play very in very hard. Man just enjoy the small things and take your time in life. I'm sure mods will come to your rescue.

Good hunting out there.

signed

Yusuf Amir
    Last edited by Flinn; June 09, 2016 at 05:44 AM. Reason: off topic remarks removed
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I had to delete and edit too much posts in this thread, due to off topic personal references and other irrelevant remarks. I wish to remind everybody that addressing the poster is always off topic and that it's up to moderation to decide whether or not a thread should be allowed or closed. Stay on topic gents, I won't be that gentle from now on.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Any chance they will add differentiated border prince, Kislev units and make the playable. I'd love to see an orc faction that specialized more in goblins, and one that had more diverse trolls, or a dwarf faction that used pikes and ram riders. I wish the pirate coast had a faction on it and that the high elf continent was included on the map in the west. How will they fit in wood elves in the forests. There are some big forest areas that could be made into elf regions or beast men regions that can only be inhabited by Elves or Beastmen.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd27 View Post
    Any chance they will add differentiated border prince, Kislev units and make the playable. I'd love to see an orc faction that specialized more in goblins, and one that had more diverse trolls, or a dwarf faction that used pikes and ram riders. I wish the pirate coast had a faction on it and that the high elf continent was included on the map in the west. How will they fit in wood elves in the forests. There are some big forest areas that could be made into elf regions or beast men regions that can only be inhabited by Elves or Beastmen.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd27 View Post
    the border princes, tilia and estalia should be one culture, think late Renaissance italy, pikes and sellswords. the crooked moon should absolutely be a night goblin faction, just add squig herders and remove orcs (or make them more expensive and rare). boar riding dwarfs and polearms.... haven't been seen since 4e if at all (similar to space dwarfs), Kazak Kadrin could be the Slayer army though (special rules army list created just for the storm of chaos) which included slayers of all sorts. Issue is that the slayers are really under performing as implemented and wouldn't do very well as the bulwark of an army. We are still missing all 3 elf races, bretonnia needs fleshed out. Beasts of chaos should absolutely have come as a rebel faction out of the box. The gods of chaos should be far more than choices made in dilemmas and flag like tokens added to each unit. Deamons should be deamons. And rat men don't exist. You also have chaos dwarfs that haven't been fleshed out since the late 90s, ogre kingdoms (an army that came out for the same reason deamons of chaos did, to sell the more expensive pewter pieces), tomb kings.

Lots of options, hell you could focus on the empire, each state pretty much has its own specialties. at the very least we have all the orders of knights in the empire, flagellents (which I heard my greatswords complaining that they weren't around last night), etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast