Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Historical Army Compositions for 2.2

Default Re: Official Historical Army Compositions for 2.2

As Pontos, what can I replace the unmade Steppe units with? I wonder.
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Just checking through the army compositions, the Parthian armies seem to be majorly under powered in comparison to some others. The monthly upkeep of a Parthian full stack came in about 3500. An AS or Ptolmey army was 6000+ for a royal army, more with elephants. Even for a non royal army it was significantly more than for Parthia. Is this intentional? Once I become an empire as parthia should I have a more expensive "royal army"?

my parthian armies are almost cavalry composed

-1 general
    -3 cataphracts
    -3-6 other medium cavalry serving as shock cav
    -rest horse archers

the thing is that the only source about a parthian army on the field is the battle of carrea,10.000 horse archers and 1.000 cataphracts but was this the main of the parthian empire of the forces available to the local commander responsible to counter the romans i dont know.

sorry meant "main army" and "or"

Quote Originally Posted by sarpedon21 View Post
    my parthian armies are almost cavalry composed

-1 general
    -3 cataphracts
    -3-6 other medium cavalry serving as shock cav
    -rest horse archers

the thing is that the only source about a parthian army on the field is the battle of carrea,10.000 horse archers and 1.000 cataphracts but was this the main of the parthian empire of the forces available to the local commander responsible to counter the romans i dont know.
    That's far too many cataphracts, you're making battles a lot easier by having so many.

1 unit of cav corresponds to 1000 real warriors for my armies,i presume parthias aristocrasy could field 3.000 cavalry armed as cataphracts in the army commanded by the king.

1 unit of cav corresponds to 1000 real warriors for my armies,i presume parthias aristocrasy could field 3.000 cavalry armed as cataphracts in the army commanded by the king.
    The general's bodyguard are cataphracts, so you've got a lot more than 3000 of them.

in my mind the generals unit represent a smaller unit,100-200 men to specially guard him.

in my mind the generals unit represent a smaller unit,100-200 men to specially guard him.
    Either you have a 1:10 scale for everything, or you don't.

i cant have 1 to 10 to everything,infantry phalanx formations must be closer to 1 to 20 or 40 to represent a typical royal hellinistic army for example,i remember macedonian phalanx formations were organised to up to 4000 units(though if they were manouvering on the battlefield with 4000 units is another matter)so 5 units of phalanx can give me 10.000 plalangarioi which is number usually mentioned in the sources.
    with 1 to 10 i would have to get 10 units of phalanxes which doesnt leave much room for everything else.

So I did some limited research of Parthia and what I read agrees with the EB teem (what a surprise!) Parthian light cavalry was in a ratio of 1 to 10 to cataphracts. It doesn't really matter what scale you use for you army, you really shouldn't have more than one unit of cataphracts per stack. If I want a near full stack I fill out the other half with allied troops, about half and half cavalry and infantry depending on region.

Honestly you don't need more than one unit of cataphracts (except maybe when fighting an entire army of elite troops but the ai very rarely puts an army together like that). Cataphracts are the best single unit in the game in my opinion, one charge against a weakened enemy army if backed up properly will route the enemy. Don't underestimate the frightens enemy attribute. They will also murder any other heavy cavalry which strays away from the enemy army and talk almost no casualties in doing so.
    Last edited by sigurdr; February 19, 2017 at 05:27 PM.

There are no informations about the total manpower for pontic, daha and pahlavan armies. Would it be possible to have some indications (in the case they have just been forgotten)?

i wouldnt take 1 unit of heavy cavalry for a nation that based its warfare into cavalry,for nations like macedonia 1 unit of hetairoi would be fine up until the 2nd century.
    my late royal seleukid armies from ebs 1 time were composed of 1 general,3 cataphracts,3 etairoi,2 light/medium cav,4 phalangitai and the rest light/medium inf,antiochus in magnesia had like 8000 heavy cav of which 6000 were cataphracts.

i wouldnt take 1 unit of heavy cavalry for a nation that based its warfare into cavalry,for nations like macedonia 1 unit of hetairoi would be fine up until the 2nd century.
    my late royal seleukid armies from ebs 1 time were composed of 1 general,3 cataphracts,3 etairoi,2 light/medium cav,4 phalangitai and the rest light/medium inf,antiochus in magnesia had like 8000 heavy cav of which 6000 were cataphracts.
    That's a ridiculously overpowered excess of heavy cavalry.

tell that to antiochus

This is a great file and i have downloaded it.

But i was wondering. What would be a typical Celt raiding army stack? what units?

ANd what of galatians? what would a galatian mercenary army hired by the pontics look like?

I know there was a lot of work put into this already i would just like to ask because i like to RP that i hire chieftans (solduros or arjos or other elite unit) And they take their army with them and it expands the more battles he wins. No idea what is a good army though historically at least.

Should we have one unit of cataphract archers and cataphracts together in our Pahlava stack. Also, what do you think of this roman army:

1xEquites Extraordinarii (BG?)
    1xEquites Romani
    2xAllied Cavalry (one unit of Equites Campanicci/Sabelli/Kurepos)

2xTriarii
    2xPrincipes
    2xHastatii
    2xVelites

2xAllied Spearmen (Etruscan/Campanian Hoplites/Cohors Sociorum/Ligurian/Celtic/Illyrian Spearmen, Hoplites from Magna Graecia )
    1xPedites Extraordinarii
    3xAllied Heavy/Medium Infantry (Umbro-Picenians, Hastati Sabelli, Samnitici Milites, Celtic Swordsmen)
    2xAllied Skirmishers (Aichmetai Leukanoi,Celtic/Illyrian Skirmishers, Greek Levy Pelltasts)
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Foederatus

Any Getai army in the future?

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

My first 2.3 campaign will be Bactria. How does a Bactrian army look like? I imagine it will be very cav heavy. What places do the Indo Greek units have in the Army and how many of them should there be?

One thing that I really liked In Rome 2 is that you had to recruit one general for your army and not having like 8 units of cavalry bodyguard in your cities all the time.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast