Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.2b is released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.2a is released!

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I did more tests with medium and other difficulties.

I think the problem has to do with the range. The unit seems to 'push' into the enemy until they can start attacking and they get close enough that the enemy can fight back.(which defeats the purpose of the long spear)

Might also have something to do with that spear attribute but i thought it was gone in 2.2?
    The spear attribute is long gone, though it seemed to do a similar thing in terms of pushing into units. Rafkos already said this morning that he was looking at phalanx animations, I don't know if he spotted something and pre-empted this discussion.

With regard to the strength or otherwise of the phalanx in the game.
    Isn't it true that as the Wars of the Diodochi progressed, particularly in the west, the hammer and anvil tactics developed by Philip and Alexander were subsumed by an arms race towards a pushing matching between ever longer sarissas.
    As a result the phalanx became much more unwieldy, less drilled and more vulnerable to flank attacks than it had been in its heyday, while forming a larger proportion of later armies than previously.

Quote Originally Posted by parthian8 View Post
    With regard to the strength or otherwise of the phalanx in the game.
    Isn't it true that as the Wars of the Diodochi progressed, particularly in the west, the hammer and anvil tactics developed by Philip and Alexander were subsumed by an arms race towards a pushing matching between ever longer sarissas.
    As a result the phalanx became much more unwieldy, less drilled and more vulnerable to flank attacks than it had been in its heyday, while forming a larger proportion of later armies than previously.
    True, but this issue is with casual frontal infiltration by line infantry, something that shouldn't be happening. And didn't in 2.1b.

Well, everyone should still be scared of the pointy bit.
    I haven't put in the patch, because I haven't had a crash and the game is developing nicely.
    Would I get away with waiting for the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by parthian8 View Post
    Well, everyone should still be scared of the pointy bit.
    I haven't put in the patch, because I haven't had a crash and the game is developing nicely.
    Would I get away with waiting for the next one?
    Yes; it'll be a new campaign regardless, and each patch is standalone (as in you don't need any of the previous versions to get all the updates).

The mod is looking absolutely fantastic with this release, really stable and polished. Only played a bit of a Roman campaign so far but I've noticed that it's no longer such a walk in the park, those Gauls to the north are now a major headache, no more easy victories with auto-resolve, which is good. One thing I noticed though (although it may be intentional) is that I can't recruit anything in Messana even though I have a civitas libera there, which says I should get a fair few Greek units.

Anyway, thanks to the team for all the effort that's so obviously gone into the release, I'm going to go and play some more

Quote Originally Posted by Frodge View Post
    One thing I noticed though (although it may be intentional) is that I can't recruit anything in Messana even though I have a civitas libera there, which says I should get a fair few Greek units.
    Oh, now you've pointed this out, I can see why. The cut-off for most civlib recruitment is rel_g 40%, ie if it rises above that, you lose the native units (and have to transition to a provinc - though no recruitment there until the Marian era). However, Messana starts with rel_g 45% - so it never has any units. This will need some rethinking.

I might spruce up the Greek provision to something more regionalised while I'm at it too; there should really be appreciable differences when establishing a civlib in Messana to Pella to Pergamon.

Quintus is there any units left to do specifically for Bristish isles territory? And why slingers for Continent celts are so scrarse to recruit and Pritanoi have them from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    Quintus is there any units left to do specifically for Bristish isles territory? And why slingers for Continent celts are so scrarse to recruit and Pritanoi have them from the start?
    The only things left in Britain are the late Royal Guard cavalry/infantry and the Arras culture swordsmen.

Because they had different pressures and practises than the peoples living on the Continent (and technically speaking, the Pritanoi are not Celts). For Celts at the start of our period, the sling was a hunting weapon, not something you brought to war.

Wine is mandatory in Mac and Linux environment, while using Steam version of Feral M2TW?

Is not enough to create a shortcut (SET LAUNCH OPTIONS) in Steam to launch EBII?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

It may be possible to follow the Steam Version steps for Linux/Mac as well but there are no Mac users on the team and just one Linux using member who is inactive at present. So we cannot confirm, I will update the OP if you can confirm this.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    It may be possible to follow the Steam Version steps for Linux/Mac as well but there are no Mac users on the team and just one Linux using member who is inactive at present. So we cannot confirm, I will update the OP if you can confirm this.
    Later I will try with my Linux distro and I will report back

Quick question about roleplaying the Romani (probably for Quintus but if anyone can help it will be most welcome)-which government type should I be establishing in Taras/Rhegion immediately after conquest? I have always used allied gov in these regions to give me more troop variety in the early game, but this prevents me from building colonies there until I convert to factional gov later.
    I would like to try a campaign where I at least "do as the Romans do", so does anybody know which of the available gov types most resembles Roman policy in Southern Italy?

Tiro

Hello,

This one mostly for z3n i suppose. Moderators feel free to move the post to the right thread if this is not his place.

I am playing makedon cai-average/bai-average 2.2a.

These are the issues:

-Thermon rebel roaming army didnt join the fight when Epeiros sieged the city. Nor in 2.2 nor in 2.2a. In 2.2 next turn after assaulting the city Epeiros send 2 3/4 stack and killed it. In 2.2a Epeiros left it alone. The rebel army didnt go siege Thermon to take it back, rather it moved towards Demetrias border. It stayed there for 4 or 5 turns while i took Epidamnos and Ambrakia and finally i sent my army to kill it.
    http://imgur.com/a/YSJYd

-KH army in Knossos did nothing, even when the city had only 2 skirmishers as garrison while i was taking Rhodos with the army. He didnt move in 2 or 3 turns. I have read Quintos said hes gonna give that army some more units in the future.
    http://imgur.com/xfmFypJ

-When i sieged Epidamnos, an army of 1 hoplita + 3 skirmishers ( javalineers and archers) came attack my sieging army. They deployed pretty well, waiting the small army for the sieged bigger one. It could have been a nice fight, but once they were formed, they never came fight, Phyrrus almost full stack went poof, cheap victory.
    http://imgur.com/a/pY9bl

-When i sieged Ambrakia, a one unit army ( one hoplita) came from Taras an attacked me. This time they formed up and came fight.
    http://imgur.com/3UiX3pS

-When i sieged the rebel city north of Pella ( cant remember the name, and game is closed ).The roaming army in that province came attack me. They formed up pretty well both armies together. As with Phyrros in Epidamnos it could have been a hell of a battle, but they never came fight. Sieged army killed cause sieged armys cant retreat and rebel attacking army killed cause rebelds cant retreat. It was a very, very cheap victory.
    http://imgur.com/a/acx1f

-It has been mentioned already, Quintus has been discussing with someone that notice it before i did. I think phalanx fight isnt working very good, they seems to collide too close each other, at "sword" range instead "sarissa" range if you understand what i mean. They dont work as a "wall" neither.
    http://imgur.com/a/tvVHy

- Carthage armies where doing "silly" things, they had small groups all spreaded for many turns in Italy while at peace with Rome ( and me). Also they had 2 1/2 or 3/4 stack close each other and hidden south of Arpi in Rhegion province for many turns ( i dont know how they didnt starve to death ). At least they had conquered Syrakusa. Once war between Rome and Carthage started they had armies next each other doing nothing in the Rhegium city and Messana area, for like 3 or 4 turns till another 3/4 roman stack army came from Capua and there were fights.
    http://imgur.com/a/YSQuX

-Rhodos rebellion was an unexpected and nasty surprise you triky team! . A stack , strong one id say, popped from nowhere in Rhodos next to city, but city stayed in my hands. Tylis rebelled ( well not that rebelled since it didnt star a war between KH and me) and become KH capital and only city ( I had finished KH many, many turns ago). My Tylis client ruler and 3 garrison units i had there where moved outside city and left next to city. Tylis KH appearing garrison wasnt that great, 4 or 5 units only and no family member among them. As war didnt arose between KH and me i "only" had to muster some troops join them with clien ruler and declare war, siege Tylis and took it in 2 turs assaulting. The KH stack in Rhodos did nothing. Once i started war and sieged Tylis, they didnt even siege Rhodos ( i had left it with an skirmisher as only garrison). When i retook Tylis, KH was death again and the strong stack in Rhodos went rebel.

I started another campaign with Ptolomei cai-average/bai-average 2.2a.

. The starting family members are horrible, the leader is pathetic and the starting position and economy is awfull. Very, very hard start id say.
    Id like to know how anyone would "turttle" this campaign... unless they leave half a docen provinces and continue with only 4 or 5 in Africa or something like that. I had to disband expensive army and navy units, spy+1 turn assault Sardis and "tease" to take Antiochea to leave "the red numbers".

I moved units from Alejandria, Ptolomai-Akko? and those outside cities in Africa, put my FL in command and moved to Antiochea, i parked my army next to the city and AS full stack with FL and 2 elephants without lieing siege, i was expecting to fight a defensive battle with all my phalanx. Of course they attacked me. The full stack with FL and 2 elephants But as before in my makedon campaign, they formed up and never came to fight.This time , as they werent besieged they just lost the battle and retreated. Then i moved to the river crossing SE of Antiochea and besieged the city. Next turn the full stack surrounded the city and attack my rear so i had one of those river crossing battles. Only way i could think to win that battle, bah.
    http://imgur.com/a/GK9kt

Talking about another kind of stuff, i keep getting the crashes when i click couple times on the units in the recruiting screen to see the info, to many times for what i like, bah. I am sending you screenshot and the last 2k lines of the log ( i have an almost 450mb log file LOL, like 3,2 MILLION lines)
    http://imgur.com/iSlsu5M

Nah, either i dont know how or i am not allowed to upload the .rar file with the log. It is 2k lines text, i dont think it is a good idea to add it with "spoiler". How can i send you the log?

Regards:

Melvi

The last lines of the log, or a selection of lines won't help. I need to search it for every line with [error] on it, then trawl through those. Attach the .rar to a post, or else host it offsite (eg Mediafire)

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Rebels don't ever attack the AI (hardcoded), I've only been able to make them cause devastation to the AI and ambush them. Honestly however I agree with that decision so I would not change it, except to defend their own settlements.

Reinforcement bug - I will check this out. It's a very complex script unfortunately which a team member had tested and cleared previously. Just getting them to form up properly was a pain. I'll try and get them attacking as well. And thanks everyone else for their feedback - it is nice to hear the defensive siege AI is working so well.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Just a quick follow-up, its now turn 129 and the Polybians haven't fired. I control Sicily and Cisalpine Gaul. Have the requirements changed?

Minor note, it's weird reading the colony building descriptions as Bactria since they talk about Macedonian settlers. O.o

I thought they required some land battles in Africa (5+?), against armies larger than 10 units, no?

Playing with Pergamon, about turn 80, and recruitment in Byzantion is completley broken. The settlement has the Supervised Hellenic Administration government, military colony, and hellenistic poleis, but none of the correct units are available to recruit. Moreover, every turn it says it will be 25 more turns before I can recruit, e.g. Hoplitai Haploi, but the counter never decreases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recruitment.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	935.8 KB 
ID:	337674