Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubling framerate for free on a GTX 970 after usage of Nvidia Expierence - at same settings!

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Doubling framerate for free on a GTX 970 after usage of Nvidia Expierence - at same settings!

Well, I'm back after my tests and I can definitely say that my performance remained the same for me.

The good news is my baseline performance is already where you other GTX 970s owners are reporting. The bad news is optimizing my game basically left me at the Ultra preset, but then it enabled Screen space reflections (was off), 2xAA (was on MLAA), and set my Shadows to Extreme (was Ultra). 2xAA and Screen space reflections are very taxing, so my framerate at the campaign map halved. When I manually reverted my settings, I got the same exact figures. Campaign map ranged from 72-86 fps, and my quest battle ranged from 53-60 fps. The overall difference between my before and after optimization was an improvement of 0.4 fps on average, which is well within the margin of error.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; June 03, 2016 at 12:26 AM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Default Re: Doubling framerate for free on a GTX 970 after usage of Nvidia Expierence - at same settings!

It sounds like some of you guys were having an isolated problem slowing you down. Using geforce optimize must have fixed it

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

It made a negative impact of about -30 FPS for me because Optimise raised my anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion to max, whereas they were set at minimum before (but everything else at max).
    I'm on a GTX 970.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    Hey guys, TW:W doesnt show up on my GeForce experience as a potential game to "optimize". I have a GTX 660M
    This thread is meant for owners of a GTX 970 emcdunna. Other GPUs should not be affected.

And you are right as Spartan is one more of those that reports that it seems not to be reproducible across the board of 970 owners. Really strange.

If you insist I could rewrite the OP accordingly. It reads to sensational now knowing only few are affected, but Iiterally beg for pardon I've written it this like. You can see it in my screenshots, that it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    It made a negative impact of about -30 FPS for me because Optimise raised my anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion to max, whereas they were set at minimum before (but everything else at max).
    I'm on a GTX 970.
    Thanks for posting your results! The curious thing was to use optimize which will alter the recommended or ma the manual setting and then putting them on maxed out again (except AA off).

As Spartan amd Barbarian describe there was something wrong with the baseline performance at this settings but so far only me and another one got affected.

As a current conclusion:
    The Baseline performance at the settings shown in the Screenshot (Warhammer settings) at a 1080p resolution should be definitely around the 60 fps not 30 that I had.

So if anyone with a 970 just got around 30 fps with the same manual settings (those differ from Warhammer and Experience recommended settings) then this thread might still be helpful.

However I fear that it is an isolated issue and not solving a generic one.

Sorry folks.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 03, 2016 at 03:10 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    It sounds like some of you guys were having an isolated problem slowing you down. Using geforce optimize must have fixed it
    This

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    This
    I agree. It took me some time to rewrite the post on my mobile above yours. it. I've put up a disclaimer in the OP accordingly, so people should not get too disappointed if it does not work for them. Hope this is ok for everyone.

Many thanks to everyone that took the time to elaborate this quite strange thing. So far I am lucky it worked for me and JGodfrieL, but definitely not what I have expected when posting this.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 03, 2016 at 03:32 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    This thread is meant for owners of a GTX 970 emcdunna. Other GPUs should not be affected.
    Not necessarily. Because of this thread, I tried it on my 980 ti, and it increased my quality (set shadow a step up, didn't realize it wasn't on max) and improved my performance, only because it also ticked the "unlimited video ram" setting.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

But increasing your quality came at cost of framerates?

Due a virus attack today (shame on me) I had to restore my computer with a backup from a week ago. I double checked the performance and settings now and noticed a small difference. The screenshot in the OP (Warhammer settings)
    Shadow are set at Ultra. This is wrong. Shadows are / were effectively set to Extreme, while having the reported 60 fps on the campaign map. I will replace the faulty pictures.

restoring the computer was quite an eye opener, because even without using the optimize trick with Expierience on the restored computer I still have the 60 fps. So my thread seems pretty pointless, and further more I cannot even narrow down the issue of the low baseline performance. I wonder why it worked at all for JGodfrieL.
    Last edited by alQamar; June 04, 2016 at 03:26 AM.

Never have I heard of anything like this ever being more than placebo or just luck. But if it worked and if some of you are struggling then give it a go.

Never had any framerate issues period (well ones that I didnt expect due to the particular engine/game etc i.e some game will always run like crap). Never ever touched geforce experience with a bargepole! (well anyone over @guru3d.com would tell you not to bother but that doesnt mean we would be adverse to trying anything. I'd also try something like nvidia inspector...but that tends to be more for sli users.

P.s Games running good for me on my aging cpu (am a 970 owner). Although am running hefty overclocks on cpu and gpu. (and have turned off some things like shadows and no ssao. Rest is all ultra and mlaa..looks ok to me..although perhaps some GEM or Sweetfx could be nice to get the units a bit sharper).

am... i know this thread it's been quiet for some time...
    but im pretty desperated atm.
    i have a notebok Dell Inspiron 15 Serie 7000 with a Nvidia GTX 960m 4Gb vRAM, and 16Gb RAM...
    Iand I can't set the game to high (Generic switch) without gettin poor fps (17-25...sometimes hitting 36 but on bottoms up cameras like watching a single unit and twords the sky so no big deal)

...and now... GForce Experience says "Can't optimize this game" ...so ...do you know of any solution for this (boosting it or idk getting it functional. its frustrating)
    Actually my game run ok but after a battle Campaign map get terribly slower. I have to close and reopen the game to return to "normal"!

...no Virus (Advance systemCare, spyware check) and cxlsoe everything when runing TW:W
    ...help

Wow this works for me! in campaign my game still have same fps(40-50) and uses 4080 mb, but in battles it uses only 3360 and gives me 55-60+ fps on ultra settings! (with reflections) thanks man!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Happy to hear that

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6.1 mit Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12