Thread: Reload animations (For Artillery and Muskets)

Default Reload animations (For Artillery and Muskets)

Hey Hey CA,

While I'm enjoying Warhammer--and will enjoy it more when blood and gore is released--I'm still hoping you guys bend an ear concerning reload animations for gunpowder units.

I'm going to skip all the known fluff about realism, and get down to the pragmatic.

Namely, reload animations help us armchair generals gauge when it's time to fight or fly with a unit of musketeers.

I have a tendency to place my ranged troops out in front, and in the face of an angry Orc charge, I choose to weigh whether or not I can break the charge with just one more sharp volley or take off for Allied lines. This game is already busy enough, but having to wait and see when my hand gunners feel like firing again seems only a disservice and doesn't do much to aid in the immersion.

Plus, and we all know it, reload animations look cool. They show a desperation of a few fragile companies frantically jamming cartridge and ball in hopes of staying the hordes of evil.

In the event that animations stay right out, can we at least get an explanation for this decision? I can't imagine it decisively saves on frames, or that it turns out players prefer magic reloads.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Reload animations (For Artillery and Muskets)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Shadowscar View Post
    Hey Hey CA,

While I'm enjoying Warhammer--and will enjoy it more when blood and gore is released--I'm still hoping you guys bend an ear concerning reload animations for gunpowder units.

I'm going to skip all the known fluff about realism, and get down to the pragmatic.

Namely, reload animations help us armchair generals gauge when it's time to fight or fly with a unit of musketeers.

I have a tendency to place my ranged troops out in front, and in the face of an angry Orc charge, I choose to weigh whether or not I can break the charge with just one more sharp volley or take off for Allied lines. This game is already busy enough, but having to wait and see when my hand gunners feel like firing again seems only a disservice and doesn't do much to aid in the immersion.

Plus, and we all know it, reload animations look cool. They show a desperation of a few fragile companies frantically jamming cartridge and ball in hopes of staying the hordes of evil.

In the event that animations stay right out, can we at least get an explanation for this decision? I can't imagine it decisively saves on frames, or that it turns out players prefer magic reloads.
    Yea, but you want reloads for realism too, there`s no shame in admitting it. Gunnes reload, even in fantasy.

That look I give when someone says Hey CA. You know they don't look here right? Should post this on the official forum

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

To be blunt, I would argue that CA didn't add them simply because it's a combination of pure laziness and pressure to meet deadlines (which results in the removal of intended features).

I mean the game is full of cut corners - it's been a policy of CA to cut content to circumvent AI issues (rather than actually deal with them) and sell less for more (or streamline as they call it); i.e. the sieges compared to previous games, the one wall battles, the magic ladders, the removal of exchange/sell/buy regions etc.

As for the actual missing animations? Perhaps they'll add new ones, perhaps not. Have to wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzopdippidybopbop View Post
    As for the actual missing animations? Perhaps they'll add new ones, perhaps not. Have to wait and see!
    I hope they put some extra effort into the blood & gore animations since that would fit the WH theme

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzopdippidybopbop View Post
    To be blunt, I would argue that CA didn't add them simply because it's a combination of pure laziness and pressure to meet deadlines (which results in the removal of intended features).

I mean the game is full of cut corners - it's been a policy of CA to cut content to circumvent AI issues (rather than actually deal with them) and sell less for more (or streamline as they call it); i.e. the sieges compared to previous games, the one wall battles, the magic ladders, the removal of exchange/sell/buy regions etc.

You seem to have a lot of inside information on the inner workings of CA. Are you on the board of directors? A managing partner, perhaps? Can you give us some insights on the next title?

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    That look I give when someone says Hey CA. You know they don't look here right? Should post this on the official forum
    They do look here, sometimes. Some even have accounts here.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

It makes me slightly ill that they forewent this and people are willing to gloss over it. Hope the don't take similar decisions with the next historical game

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    You seem to have a lot of inside information on the inner workings of CA. Are you on the board of directors? A managing partner, perhaps? Can you give us some insights on the next title?
    Care to offer a better explanation? Or will you just sit there and act like a *****