Thread: The Rabbit Hops along through the Forest...

Default The Rabbit Hops along through the Forest...

Hello. I just thought this might be an interesting place to talk about a number of things, from my writing, my thoughts upon certain topics, and perhaps my life.

So, I started two things this weekend, both of which I didn't complete. The first was a Warhammer Memorial Day Story, to honor Memorial Day and the release of Total War: Warhammer in one story, which I started writing on Saturday. Of course, the day I start something early, thinking that "Well, I haven't even seen another living person today, surely I'll have time to write something!". Nope! Got invited to a Barbecue. Not exactly complaining, and if I had kept my mouth shut then nobody but Alwyn would know, but eh

The second thing I started was a Warhammer Forum Game called Lords of Averland. That was completely due to lack sleep, oh, and also happens to be the same day I begin the dreadful cough. Now today, I'm entirely Cold mode. Perhaps I could have kept the Forum Game going, - heck, recruitment probably wouldn't even be finished before I got better - but after thinking about the decision, I just kind of decided to set that back down. Might pick it up again later.

But don't worry, Historia Quod Britonum's not going anywhere. If I just spontaneously implode writing this blog, I've still got about nine updates done and 20 years of stuff to write about. Hm, I think I'm going to talk about that now.

And now, for Historia Quod Britonum stuff

Hehe, big letters. Anyways, I really like writing Historia Quod Britonum. And I mean I really really really really like it. Whenever I write futuristic stuff, I have an inch for Fantasy-Medieval Writing, and vice versa. This scratches both itches, and a few others I didn't even know I had, and it's mixed in with an awesome set of games (although the modding I'll need to do to allow the campaign to continue through several games is probably gonna be a pretty large workload). A large Story Arc is going to be resolved soon, and it's going to split like a cell into two others (Story Mitosis, anybody?)

The main thing I want to work on is my descriptive writing. I kind of suck at that. Most of my writing centers on dialogue as a plot device, and while that is good enough, I suppose, I want to do better. I'm also working on giving myself more opportunities for plot development, and I really need to get myself to start rereading what I write before I post it.

Well, this has been fun. Also, tell me what you think in the comment thread about my blog, and this little question I've been rolling around in my head:

In the future, and with the direction the world is heading, do you think that religion will survive and thrive, survive with a small following, or completely fall away? Also, how do you think Religion would be affected if Aliens landed on Earth?

Default Re: The Rabbit Hops along through the Forest...

Hm. Well, here we are again. I suppose that this time I just wanted to kind of talk about my Historia Quod Britonum again.

I think that the Historia Quod Britonum is a bit of a gamble, or at least I view it that way, with my style of writing. Not with the broken up sections like the Futurum, the Historia Quod Britonum Chapters, and the Praesens and such. No. What I'm talking about is keeping people coming back. Unlike most, I really almost entirely on the power of Plot and Mystery, and while that can go a long way, intriguing characters often help readers to connect to the story, and while there is character arcs and such, they take a long time to manifest.

Also, the absence of a singular antagonist is an interesting aspect of the story as well. While there are several smaller antagonists, they don't last long in terms of the overall story, save for one or two. There is an overarching antagonist, but that comes in very late into the story, and again is not a singular "bad guy", and by the end of the story you probably won't be fully convinced that this antagonist is truly bad.

I try to blur the lines in my stories a lot, as lines are very blurred in life, so why should they not be in the stories we write, though I understand that there should be a healthy mix of both kinds of stories. My stories, personally, tend to have a lot of philosophical standpoints and messages, and also tend to have sometimes dark themes and moments, or even dark storylines, though there haven't been very many in Historia Quod Britonum so far, there is one coming up.

Anyways, that's all for this update. Bye bye!

Hello again! This time, I'd thought I would talk some about the Flickering Man. Yeah, I know what you're thinking; "This blog is just a place for him to talk about the AAR". Well...yeah, ok. And for the next AAR, it'll probably be the same. But, eh. Whatcha gonna do?

In the last chapter, there was a line about how "everyone was a pawn to be used by higher beings, such as himself". This one line is actually a deep insight into the character and his personality. Consider it; he's able to manipulate time and teleport himself around, and he's also immortal. While this abilities will be more explained soon, take a minute to consider just how that would affect a person's psychology, especially coupled with the fact he's been living in the Medieval Period for years, with people who would consider 18th Century technology to be amazing, much less 21st Century technology.

While he might not have had this views when he first came to the timeline, over time he became very conceited, and pretty much considers himself to be a God. Which results in a very interesting Arc.

Alright, well that wraps it up. Yeah, I know, real informative Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed the post

Wow, it's been a while since I did one of these. I've been doing a lot of writing recently, and a near embarrassing amount of playing M2TW (it never gets old ruling the world as Venice), and some M&B on the side. I have to see I've considered doing a short AAR for M2TW. Speaking of AARs, I think I've near drawn myself crazy with my Historia Quod Britonum AAR. Not in terms of effort, but rather in how many inconsistencies and such I've made. It seems like whenever I find historical info relevant to my AAR, I find it after I've posted the part where it is relevant. Maybe one day I'll have to go back and revise it or the like.

Anyways, that's all today. Bye bye!

So...I'm back. I was gone for a while, from my blog here and from my Historia Quod Britonum for a few months, but I think it's okay to say I have returned.

As one might be able to tell from my recent chapters, I have put a lot of thought recently into the Human race and it's condition, which is furthered by my recent discovery of the band Tool. Indeed, this is one of the overall themes of HQB and my new story, Keziah, as well. Needless to say, we are a messed up bunch, but just how messed up are we? Well, I think it's kind of hard to say, seeing as how we don't have much of anyone else to compare it to...at least until we find the Jovians.

I think the Human Race, despite it's attempts to become better and better, is still dominated by ancient codes. Water and food, in any excess, are still privileges, and we still bow to rulers. Now-a-days, we kinda sorta put our leaders in their positions, but I think people tend to forget we've had this before. For example the ancient Roman Republic was originally dedicated to overthrowing a corrupt and tyrannical system, and soon they became a corrupt and tyrannical system and were overthrown by another corrupt and tyrannical system. We have this idea that Humanity is constantly progressing, and constantly getting better, and while it obviously is, I don't think we've come quite as far as we think, I think it's just been so long since the previous cycle of freedom that we forgot we had it. We only remember the monarchies and feudal governments of the past two millennia, not the supposed democracies and republics we had before that.

Perhaps that's it. Perhaps Humanity is in one giant cycle, but every time the next cycle comes around things are a little bit better. This time around we get democracies and republics and no slavery! Yay! But who's to say this is our last cycle, that we just keep building on top of the good stuff and don't lose some of it on the way. Who's to say a time of monarchies and empires won't come again within the next few centuries? Who's to say our metaphorical Julius Caesar isn't just a few decades within reach, ready to offer us freedom from the tyranny and corruption of democracy?

Like I said, I'm not neglecting that the past sucked compared to today. It did. The Roman Republic, even it's best days, was a lot worse then our modern society. I'm just saying that we should remember that things do change, and sometimes they change for the worst, because that's what history really is, isn't it? A long and complicated story of failure and victories which resulted in the world we stand in today, with billions of characters, most of which are forgotten about. Like the wise Edmund Burke once said, "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."

Alright, rant off. Perhaps I should go write now with my thoughtful little self and doing something productive. Just maybe keep what I said (okay I should say typed, but that doesn't sound half as cool) in mind. Bye now.