Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly Praise Thread

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Creative Assembly Praise Thread

Could we have Creative Assembly praise/critic thread? In my opinion this is best Total War game Creative Assembly has ever created since Shogun 2, and i am remembering that they did not create Warhammer universe.

There are lot of things to like in this game, and official thread for it would be great. Sticky this one if you want.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Default Re: Creative Assembly praise thread

I totally agree with you.. they did an excellent job on this title... kudos to CA!

I actually quite enjoy it. The sacrifice of certain gameplay mechanics are appropriate for the setting for the most part, and while I certainly feel that things can be improved im quite happy with the base game. Im also happy at the reception so far, record sales, positive feelings and constructive criticism all around its also a joy to see Warhammer getting the total war treatment, its always needed it. Except of course, on here.

TWC history friends have supplied me with enough salt to cure years worth of meat in my cure house, I was running out of my Sandal debacle stock.

I have had the most fun playing this total war. Mainly due to the fantasy setting love monsters and all that. Overall I would not say it is the best because it is missing too many features and mechanics. Combat is also way to fast. I also think that someone needs to rebalance the game... it should never be like that. I think its a great start and if they improve on it going forward it should be the best. So overall I would not want heap praise but rather feed them a compliment sandwich.

Totally awesome game from top to bottom and a welcome departure from the campaign map formula used in Attila (although I liked that game). The game looks fantastic. It runs much faster than previous TW games too. When you really start to develop your army it feels unique to your race. The lord/hero units are a ton of fun to play and level up. Flying units are awesome too. Siege battles are fun again.

I really like that when I play as the orcs I feel like I really need to act like an orc because of the WAAAGH! mechanic. Just keep fighting and pushing into the enemy sacking their cities and getting into scraps. The battles themselves are also feel like the green tide has arrived to crush their enemies. Similar to how the original starcraft has races that felt unique, TW:W has races that feel unique and help get you into the mindset of the race you chose.

Meanwhile as the dwarves you have all of these hostile orc tribes on your borders constantly threatening to pop in and say hello. The map itself also has narrow mountain passes and the underground mechanic which is awesome.

Confederation is awesome and completely changes the rules for how a total war campaign may play out. It makes diplomacy far more important and interesting. Plus it has to be done somewhat strategically because it makes people mad when you do it.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, the hero mechanic alone has completely changed the feel of the campaign. It's a blast to finally have the capacity to lead from the front. And the game looks gorgeous. The battles have this great scenery in the background. Really brings you into the moment. Campaign map is well designed. AI is competent. Diversity of factions completely changes the feel of total war. No more cut and paste german spearmen. Very enjoyable so far.

Nothing but praise for CA's incredible work. There are so many nods to the lore and dedication to recreating the setting that it's unbelievable.

Top-notch job, CA, top-notch.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Shouldn't this be in the sticky threads ?
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

This thread needs a lot of cleaning and some of those involved in the discussion might be better cool down a bit; I'm going to close it and do the necessary actions asap, will be re-opened later on

Thread re-opened; I wish to remind everybody to keep the discussion civil, thanks. This thread has its own purpose, hence the off-topic rule will be applied with rigidity. If you have any complaint about CA policies, you can use the dedicated thread.

Also, stickied
    Last edited by Flinn; May 31, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I have to join the praise this time despite I was very sceptical at all. I am pretty sure without the mistakes of Attila and Rome 2, they somehow now feel altogether like Windows ME and Vista (sorry), Warhammer would have got a rocky start.
    CA addressed most of the criticsm dealt in Attila and the Emperor Edition and forged this into Warhammer. The bitter sweet melancholy part inside asks me why Rome 3 will finally come to make all past pain undone

So the CA team did a fantastic job so far and I hope that they will also find some time to address the few things that are still lacking in this game, as mentioned in my short review
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

This is the warhammer game I asked for.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Welcome back CA !

I generally don't like fantasy that's too far out there, but this is simply a great game. Well made, stable, good performance, looks great, AI is much better, campaign map is one of the most interesting so far, great looking and unique units, hero units that level up and can lead from the front, fleshed out and distinctly different factions...

This game has made TW fun again.

I hated the idea of the game at first but now I think its one of the best Total wars released.

Praise must be given where it is due, I must say I haven't had so much fun with a TW tittle since STW2 for various reasons like the excellent maps, diverse factions, by far the most optimized game, barely any bugs (if any for me), no CTDs(34h), awesome cavalry charge is brought back and it seems this game has a very good mod support.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; June 01, 2016 at 05:57 PM.

I wasn't sure about a fantasy themed Total War when Warhammer was released, but I've been adoring it so far. In particular, I love the look of the map. It's one of the nicest looking, functionally crafted maps in the series. I really love the skull mountains who's eyes change color with the presence of Vampiric or Chaos corruption. Always makes me chuckle.

Although I may hold some negative views about this game at the present, nevertheless I want my criticism to be known as constructive, rather than desultory. I wouldn't want people from CA to feel exasperated every time they chance upon this board and come across nothing but non-stop criticism. Therefore I will balance out the outspoken view of myself and some other people, with words of encouragement and praise of what CA's done with W:TW, and the parts of it that it has made to work well.

So without much further ado, here's what I genuinely liked about the game:

-The BAI. It has improved immensely. Cavalry is now smart about where it goes, and enemy unit formations launch attacks at points where the AI "senses" it will hurt the most. They avoid getting pulled in by ranged fire (a common exploit in M2TW) and in general I haven't come across ways in which I could exploit it. Most importantly it challenges the player without the feel of cheap or artificial stat advantages.
    -The battle line and unit micromanagement. This is where I believe CA deserves the most praise. Unit pathing for the most part is flawless, control over either individual units or groups feels organic and responds to both player input and battlefield situations. Units keep logical, sensible formations and don't mosh together or break up, they maintain their facing against the opponent without awkwardly jerking back and forth like in Rome II. In my opinion, the game engine was finally made to potentially deliver the battle experience the way it was meant to be. I would in go so far as saying that W:TW's combat engine renders the best, most stable and fluent battles to date in a TW game. Although of course there's a long way to go in terms of unit balancing affecting tactical flow of combat. I detailed my criticism the combat model and dearth of tactical options available to the player, here.
    -Monster units strike that tender balance between being actually useful in combat, especially at tying up large formations, yet not so overpowered as to warrant fielding entire stacks of them.
    -I had an overall enjoyable time with the campaign, especially the orcs.

So in summary, as long as CA listens to its user base and continues to update the game with DLC's and patches which will improve and broaden the campaign side, add features such as formations, more tactical options in combat, and more battle types (river battle, encampment battle, mountainous/difficult terrain battle, magical area battle) and most importantly, releases map edit and modding tools, then I'd be quite satisfied with the state of the franchise.
    Last edited by Carl Jung was right; June 02, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    Although I may hold some negative views about this game at the present, nevertheless I want my criticism to be known as constructive, rather than desultory. I wouldn't want people from CA to feel exasperated every time they chance upon this board and come across nothing but non-stop criticism. Therefore I will balance out the outspoken view of myself and some other people, with words of encouragement and praise of what CA's done with W:TW, and the parts of it that it has made to work well.

So without much further ado, here's what I genuinely liked about the game:

-The BAI. It has improved immensely. Cavalry is now smart about where it goes, and enemy unit formations launch attacks at points where the AI "senses" it will hurt the most. They avoid getting pulled in by ranged fire (a common exploit in M2TW) and in general I haven't come across ways in which I could exploit it. Most importantly it challenges the player without the feel of cheap or artificial stat advantages.
    -The battle line and unit micromanagement. This is where I believe CA deserves the most praise. Unit pathing for the most part is flawless, control over either individual units or groups feels organic and responds to both player input and battlefield situations. Units keep logical, sensible formations and don't mosh together or break up, they maintain their facing against the opponent without awkwardly jerking back and forth like in Rome II. In my opinion, the game engine was finally made to potentially deliver the battle experience the way it was meant to be. I would in go so far as saying that W:TW's combat engine renders the best, most stable and fluent battles to date in a TW game. Although of course there's a long way to go in terms of unit balancing affecting tactical flow of combat. I detailed my criticism the combat model and dearth of tactical options available to the player, here.
    -Monster units strike that tender balance between being actually useful in combat, especially at tying up large formations, yet not so overpowered as to warrant fielding entire stacks of them.
    -I had an overall enjoyable time with the campaign, especially the orcs.

So in summary, as long as CA listens to its user base and continues to update the game with DLC's and patches which will improve and broaden the campaign side, add features such as formations, more tactical options in combat, and more battle types (river battle, encampment battle, mountainous/difficult terrain battle, magical area battle) and most importantly, releases map edit and modding tools, then I'd be quite satisfied with the state of the franchise.
    I agree with most of your points. That being said, I'm still going to field an army of mostly monsters just to delight in the spectacle of it all.

I too was sceptical after the - IMO - absolutely woeful Rome 2 but TW:Warhammer is the most fun I've had since Shogun 2.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Ok, I was a huge critic of the game but I have to admit, CA did a good job with this release.
    I avoided pre ordering as I promised but as positive reviews started to come I decided to buy the game in week one and Im loving it.

It is obviously not perfect.
    Still suffers from some flaws like too little variety, no officers, sieges with little variety and I did not like the super fast battles CA always create, with very little time to implement different strategies, but with mods, that increase the combat time, it is just so cool!

I have high hopes CA will still implement all these very need cosmetic and gameplay changes in patches and DLCs. Im willing to give full support to CA if they release solid DLCs. Right now what we really, really, really need is a blood and gore DLC because this is Warhamma!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast