Thread: Suicidal AI generals

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Suicidal AI generals

I've seen AI generals charge in first line to commit suicides in 2 diferent let's play, can people confirm if suicidal AI general is the rule or it was a coincidence ?

It's something that really bothered me in S2TW and I would hate to buy the game just to realise that those wannadie ennemy generals are back.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Suicidal AI generals

Only time I've seen it is in armies where the general is faster than the rest of his army. Usually they hold back until everyone else is engaged then charge in, unless they are a caster, then they don't charge in at all.

Your general will usually be by far your most powerful unit in this game so he's gonna be fighting more than generals in previous games.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

From the Let`s Plays I`ve seen, they`ve bumped up the General`s health to a ludicrous level then just let the AI run with it. Very little attempt to make the General`s have any kind of self-preservation AI here. It seems to me that CA have simplified Generals greatly.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Uh some generals are supposed to be thrown in, the only question is who he's fighting. You dont buy Grimgor to have him fight zombies. You send him straight at the enemy general or some monsterous infantry.

Generals in this game dont die half the time anyway. They usually rout well before the health bar goes to 0%.

I've seen this a few times in quest battles. Most notably the Silver Seal questline for Karl Franz and the Cloak of Molten Gold (I think it was called) for Balthasar Gelt.

It's happened to me once or twice in regular campaign play. Mostly its the fighty ones that go for my main battle line. The wizards tend to hang back.

Though they don't tend to last too long...

.... it doesn't help that I'm running an Empire gunline....
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Uh some generals are supposed to be thrown in, the only question is who he's fighting. You dont buy Grimgor to have him fight zombies. You send him straight at the enemy general or some monsterous infantry.

Generals in this game dont die half the time anyway. They usually rout well before the health bar goes to 0%.
    Agreed! You cannot easily kill the lords or general in this game. Also committing your force just to kill a lord will prove disaster in your battle. It is much better to leave the lord killing w/ your general or other unit specialize w/ killing a general.

Well it looks to me the Generals work as intended for the Warhammer setting.
    Heavy Support unit to fight or cast
    The only thing I miss is that they are not well equip with magic items...

And self-preservation,
    I never had a general who fought till death, all where fleeing and I had to kill/wound them with archers/crossbowmen.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    Well it looks to me the Generals work as intended for the Warhammer setting.
    Heavy Support unit to fight or cast
    The only thing I miss is that they are not well equip with magic items...

About that, actually, how does the AI generals get their magical items ?
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    I've seen AI generals charge in first line to commit suicides in 2 diferent let's play, can people confirm if suicidal AI general is the rule or it was a coincidence ?

It's something that really bothered me in S2TW and I would hate to buy the game just to realise that those wannadie ennemy generals are back.
    In any and every battle that I have seen they always engage their general wherever my general is fighting at in the line. Especially when I was fighting Chaos.

well, im doing the Chaos for 176 turns and never seen the suicide general...

Maybe the same way you get them... don't know but they use magic

I can confirm, that every and I mean EVERY time I played a battle enemy's lords were rushing before their army, casters are just slower.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I can confirm, that every and I mean EVERY time I played a battle enemy's lords were rushing before their army, casters are just slower.
    Caster and necromancer lord usually don't do suicidal charge due they are too fragile. Maybe there still supporting units or healing them like the necromancer. Only melee lord will fight on the frontline but some flying units like the Empire will support it units and will do hammer and anvil until i caught them and stop the flying lords from flying.

Honestly CA totally improves the general units in this game due there not fragile and some are quite deadly.
    Last edited by gyabo; May 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM.

I mean they should. They can kill 100s of men solo when kitted out, especially Grimgore. I put my general in the front ranks too. No sense having your best mele unit barking orders from the back ranks.
    People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
    -Dan Quayle